Illinois is trying..again

PDA

Toaster
June 24, 2011, 02:06 PM
http://jg-tc.com/news/local/article_9d3b02c4-9e7b-11e0-846e-001cc4c002e0.html

A little support from the NRA would be nice...

If you enjoyed reading about "Illinois is trying..again" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Scimmia
June 24, 2011, 02:11 PM
I've got to agree with the NRA on this one. Different rules for each county would be an absolute nightmare.

Toaster
June 24, 2011, 02:21 PM
I undestand the NRAs point of view, but some progress is better than none.

Scimmia
June 24, 2011, 02:26 PM
Not necessarily. If there's some progress, that might be enough for some people and the demand would die down. Then a statewide bill would never have a chance. Then you're stuck with this proposed unmanageable mess.

Toaster
June 24, 2011, 03:00 PM
Unmanageable mess? How so?

Scimmia
June 24, 2011, 03:42 PM
Every county having it's own laws about requirements for a carry permit, what permits to recognize, where you can and can't carry, etc would be a colossal mess. Can you imagine one county only recognizing permits issued by that county, but not by neighboring counties? Will some counties offer permits for citizens of other counties, and where are those then valid? Law enforcement can't keep up with the intricacies of CCW permits when they're statewide, I can't imagine what will happen when they tried to enforce these kind of laws.

Really, how often do you even realize when you cross a county line? It would make driving across the state with a firearm virtually impossible.

whalerman
June 24, 2011, 04:08 PM
Scimmia has a good point. Here in NY we have a statewide law, except for the draconian practices of NYC. Trouble is, each county interprets things as they see fit, so the state laws are in effect up to local officials. For instance, the state requires an education class for carry permits, but local officials sometimes limit availability then deny permits on that basis. Or, some counties grant carry permits while others only grant range permits, allowing mere citizens to carry only to and from an approved range. Other counties limit the number of pistols you may own, and so on and so on. I would strongly suggest you act as a group, and get the strongest law you can that applies statewide. Otherwise, you will each hang independently. Where have I heard that before?

usmarine0352_2005
June 24, 2011, 05:52 PM

Yeah, county-by-county isn't good.

You may be legal in one county and breaking the law in another. You need statewide uniformity.

Sometimes progress in the wrong direction isn't progress at all and in the end can hurt the cause.

LawScholar
June 24, 2011, 06:22 PM
Unfeasible, unfortunately. I cross through four counties regularly in WY, and we're a lot bigger than Illinois. I can't imagine a different set of laws in each county. Even state-by-state there are regular enforcement errors.

No, a victory in Illinois must be all, or nothing. Statewide carry WILL win in the state, it's just going to be a long, bitter struggle.

wow6599
June 24, 2011, 07:29 PM
What if every county recognized all other counties.......except for Cook County! That would be sweet justice...........

Hondo 60
June 25, 2011, 12:43 AM
National Rifle Association lobbyist Todd Vandermyde disagreed.

"We understand and are sympathetic to people who live outside the Chicago metropolitan area, and we feel the state is being dictated and run by the city of Chicago through the General Assembly. That said, our review of this bill is that it's a bad approach and not something that warrants our support," he said Thursday. "You could have 102 different rules in 102 different counties. The concept seems greatly unworkable, and it raises a lot more questions than problems it solves."

Read more: http://jg-tc.com/news/local/article_9d3b02c4-9e7b-11e0-846e-001cc4c002e0.html#ixzz1QGAOIoZ9

That would be a nightmare!

Davek1977
June 25, 2011, 05:00 AM
agreed that a county approach is the wrong way to go about this....Its already too easy to unintentionally run afoul of gun laws, especially in a place lie Illinois. This is an unworkable solution that would only complicate matters further

Badlander
June 25, 2011, 11:03 AM
Make Chicago A seperate state. End of problem! let them wallow in misery of their own makeing.

stonecutter2
June 26, 2011, 02:35 PM
Here's my plan of action: Every representative who votes for concealed carry in Illinois gets a donation from me. Every one who votes against earns a donation to whoever runs against them in the next election.

Illinois' Chicago dictatorship has to end sometime...right?

Smaug
July 6, 2011, 03:12 PM
stonecutter: That is bordering on bribery. Kind of like the problem we have with federal campaign funding. The only guys who have a chance are the guys who can spend millions to campaign.

Badlander: It is easy for you to say, sitting down there in Florida. Depriving millions of people of their 2nd amendment rights just because they live in a certain area is not what our founding fathers had in mind. Especially when people in those areas are the ones who are most likely to need to defend themselves. Wouldn't it be great to read a headline like: "Drive by shooter in Chicago's south side gunned down by concerned citizens"

Badlander
July 6, 2011, 05:18 PM
Badlander is sitting down here in Fla after living in Illinois for 36 years. Still have my old foid card. I replaced it with A CCW. The people of chicago deserve what they got. (Rohm Emanuel) For gods sakes! The people downstate have put up with Chicagos Bull.... for to long. Sorry If you live there but thats how I feel!

Davey Wavey
July 7, 2011, 06:45 AM
I've read damn near all of HB3794 and I came to the conclusion that it sucks big time. It's may issue that will require license holders that are carrying to violate their fifth amendment right if they happen to unknowingly drive into unfriendly territory and be pulled over for a simple traffic violation.

I emailed the three sponsors of the bill and the lead sponsor, Mitchell, agrees that HB148 is superior. HB3794 was something they whipped up to make some constituents happy. HB3794 isn't going anywhere until after all the current litigation has been concluded and only if HB148 goes belly up.

If you enjoyed reading about "Illinois is trying..again" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!