Silencer for a noob


June 25, 2011, 07:53 AM
Ok, so I'm finally getting a new job in the field I want, making close to double the money I'm making now. Previously I didn't even come into this part of the forum because I hate window shopping. So I can finally justify buying.....a silencer! I'll need more raises before I can go FA.

So I really need the basic rundown with the answers to the following questions.

1. The Buying process. I have to have the tax stamp first, right? Still $200? How long does this process normally take?

2. Picking the right "can". I want to put it on one of the new factory-threaded Ruger Mark III 22/45's. So that's a .22 caliber silencer. From what I've read some are not as easy to clean as others and its really important because they're dirty.

So I am wondering who can tell me the answers to those questions, as well as this:

3. What's the best silencer for the money for a 22LR, easy to clean. And How DO you clean silencers? Sorry if I'm being a noob here

If you enjoyed reading about "Silencer for a noob" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!
June 25, 2011, 05:56 PM
I make mine instead of buying them, but I have some info. The tax is still $200 each. Approval takes about 2-4 months now. To buy a silencer you need the tax stamp first. Locate a class 3 dealer and buy the silencer (if it is in stock) or the dealer will order one for you. The dealer will give you the ATF form 4 and form 5330.20 to fill out. You need to bring the form 4 to your local sheriff to sign on the back. If the sheriff will not sign, you can ask a judge of DA. Some people crate a trust or corporation to own the firearm for them. The form 5330.20 is used to certify yourself as a legal resident or citizen. The form 4 is sent in along with the 5330.20, finger prints, photos and a check for $200.

Because the 22lr is dirty, many people like to use a can that comes apart. Others will soak a sealed can in solvents to remove lead and powder residue, but this does not work as well as scraping the baffles clean. Some people will sand or soda blast the baffles clean on a take apart can.

There is no one best can. You will always have to compromise by deciding on size, weight, durability, effectiveness and price.


June 25, 2011, 06:41 PM
I'll second a can that comes apart. And for cleaning I've found an ultrasonic cleaner ($25 at Harbor Freight) to be an indespensible asset.

I ended up with an AAC Prodigy and I'm plenty happy with it. A non-aluminum can might be nice so it can survive "the dip", but the USC and scrubbing works fine for me.

2-4 months wait for the tax stamp sounds like a dream. A couple of years ago my lousy fingerprints caused mine to take more like 11 months :banghead:.

I always advise folks to do their research because I don't think suppressors have much a resale market. You're going to have this "forever". After the $200 stamp, there's less % price disparity between the most and least expensive options. is a great place for some research.

Zak Smith
June 25, 2011, 11:37 PM
It's misleading to say "you need to buy the tax stamp first." You purchase (pay for) the silencer and then the Class 3 dealer provides you the Form 4's to complete and submit. Once these have been submitted, approved by ATF , and then returned, you take possession of the item. It is not possible to "get the stamp" independent of any particular item.

June 26, 2011, 12:26 AM
For the form that has to be signed by a local sheriff, is that usually an issue? Or is it emblazoned with THIS IS A SILENCER all over it?

Zak Smith
June 26, 2011, 12:35 AM
It's emblazoned in box 4B anyway. Many sheriffs have no problem signing. Those that do, usually get bypassed by a corporate transfer.

If you enjoyed reading about "Silencer for a noob" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!