Antique French Shotgun

PDA

Mike Griffith
June 27, 2011, 12:06 PM
I saw a message from Jim when I googled antique French shotguns. He almost described the one I have. It is a 16 gauge side by side with two triggers. Marked "Acier DC Surete" Has two crowns. A gunsmith bored it out to accept modern 16 guage ammo and I have hunted pheasants with it. My son will inherit it someday. Is this a common shotgun?

If you enjoyed reading about "Antique French Shotgun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SDC
June 27, 2011, 12:28 PM
We'd need more info, and probably pictures to tell you anything useful about your shotgun; the "two crowns" sounds sort of like the French "extra proof" mark, but these could be marked on any gun that the manufacturer wanted to test. There should be a manufacturer name somewhere on it, but this might also take pictures; "Acier Surete" just means "Safety Steel".

If you enjoyed reading about "Antique French Shotgun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!