Chief Bullwinkle

PDA

Zip06
January 26, 2003, 09:50 PM
After telling the civilians who spotted and blocked in the snipers they couldn't have the reward money until the trial is over, Chief Moose has just cashed in on the sniper saga by negotiating a book and possible movie. No word on whether its a comedy or not.

If you enjoyed reading about "Chief Bullwinkle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
DeltaElite
January 26, 2003, 09:53 PM
Oh goody another "talking head" of a chief strikes it big. :rolleyes:
Just because he didn't investigate anything, doesn't have any bearing on the situation.
What a sad joke.
The cops do all the work and a paper pusher gets the book deal.

4v50 Gary
January 26, 2003, 10:09 PM
I remember Boris telling Natasha: "Moose must die." OK, just a joke guys. His chips shouldn't be cashed in just because someone is going to ghostwrite his book for him.

Zander
January 26, 2003, 10:30 PM
If it's Chief Moose, he won't be writing it himself for sure...

Jim V
January 26, 2003, 10:45 PM
Then too, he will have all those pesky conflict of interest thinggies to worry about if he "writes" the book while still chief.

Will he do it in crayon?

clem
January 26, 2003, 10:50 PM
It will be with a green crayon.

Gordon
January 26, 2003, 10:50 PM
Yeah, spotted and blocked in the perps who were identified by the media in contradiction of the Moose's description of the white van full o white boys. The truckers were lucky the 'packed with cops' county only took 30 minutes to respond.:fire:

gun-fucious
January 27, 2003, 12:58 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A40526-2003Jan24.html

Deal for Book on Sniper Case May Put Moose in Ethics Bind

By Matthew Mosk
Washington Post Staff Writer
Saturday, January 25, 2003; Page A01

To TV news viewers nationwide, Montgomery County Police Chief Charles A. Moose was a sturdy, commanding presence in the whirl of a storm -- the tight-lipped, square-jawed lawman who was the public face of October's Washington area sniper manhunt. Now the crisis that made him a household name is offering the temptation of cash.

A New York literary agent who has been pitching the chief's story to publishers said yesterday that Moose plans to announce Tuesday that a deal has been struck for a book and possibly a movie. The agent, David Vigliano, would not identify the buyer or disclose the price.

Yet there could be a glitch: Local officials have warned Moose that the deal, if he profits from it, could land him on the wrong side of Montgomery's strict government ethics provisions.

The county Ethics Commission has barred police commanders from accepting even nominal fees, beyond expenses, for speaking publicly about the sniper shootings at law enforcement conferences. In doing so, the commission pointed to rules that prohibit a public official from "using the prestige of his or her office for personal gain" and from disclosing confidential information, which could include details of a police investigation.

But County Executive Douglas M. Duncan (D), who hired Moose in 1999, said he believes the chief warrants an exception, given his central role in an investigation that riveted the nation.

"This is a special circumstance," Duncan said. "He's got a great story to tell America, and he should be able to do that. Yes, we've got some ethics issues to get through, but we'll look at anything we need to do to make it work."

If necessary, Duncan said, he would ask the County Council to pass legislation authorizing the deal.

Vigliano was reticent yesterday about the impending deal but said the chief wants the book to be heavily "autobiographical and more than just his thoughts about the sniper case." One publisher who was approached by the agent described the project as "a blow-by-blow ticktock of the investigation, interspersed with [Moose's] personal story of growing up poor and rising to the position of police chief."

Moose did not return telephone calls seeking his comment on the venture. And the ethics questions appear to have done nothing to slow his plans.

Editors at three major New York publishing houses, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said they were approached by Vigliano, whose diverse client list includes Pope John Paul II (for a collection of prayer books), Monica Lewinsky's mother, actress Bo Derek and basketball Goliath Shaquille O'Neal. The agent recently made headlines selling the unpublished journals of rock star Kurt Cobain, who committed suicide in 1994.

Several books are planned or in the works about the sniper shootings, which killed 10 people and wounded three while spreading fear and disruption throughout the Washington area for three weeks. One leading New York publishing executive who turned down Moose's proposal said yesterday that, to his knowledge, only one publishing house expressed interest in the chief's story.

At least one other, Random House, turned down the project because it had already agreed to publish a book about the sniper shootings, one being written by reporters at The Washington Post.

Vigliano said Moose initially was reluctant to pursue a book or movie deal, although dozens of publishers, producers and agents approached him, even in October while he was steeped in the investigation.

"It was only when he realized that people were going to be writing something anyway and that this was an opportunity for him to get the correct story out, that he decided to hire me," Vigliano said. "It's not something he went looking for or has any expertise in handling."

Vigliano said he selected Charles Fleming, a former Newsweek correspondent who has written about show business for Vanity Fair, to help Moose with the book.

But first there are the ethics hurdles to clear, said Barbara McNally, the Ethics Commission's executive secretary.

Among the provisions that would have to be considered, she said, are prohibitions against an employee using a job title, uniform or the county insignia in a private enterprise; restrictions on outside contracts and employment; and rules forbidding employees to use county resources or county time for personal profit.

Precedent appears to stand against Moose. In 1994, for example, the commission denied a request by a Montgomery department head who wanted approval to write and sell a training textbook, drawing on expertise gained while employed by the county.

McNally would not hazard an opinion on how Moose's plans would fare with commission members, assuming he asked for their input.

"The chief is very upstanding, and I'm sure he would come to the commission if he was planning on doing anything," she added.

County Council member Philip Andrews (D-Rockville), who chairs the council's public safety committee, said he also has faith that the chief will avoid crossing ethical boundaries.

"I think he has to be careful, and I'm sure he would," Andrews said. "But I have no objection as long as he's careful to do it on his own time and not to use his position to promote the book."

As for any objection to Moose profiting from tragic events, council member Howard A. Denis (R-Potomac-Bethesda) said he did not think Montgomery residents would mind. After all, he said, former New York mayor Rudolph W. Giuliani wrote a book after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attack on his city.

"I just hope it won't do anything to take the luster off [Moose's] accomplishment," Denis said. "I think it would be unfortunate if that effort, the way he handled this crisis, was in any way tarnished."

Hkmp5sd
January 27, 2003, 01:16 AM
So who gets to play Moose, Eddie Murphy or Damon Wayans?

jmbg29
January 27, 2003, 01:28 AM
So who gets to play MooseO.J. :rolleyes:

Coronach
January 27, 2003, 12:18 PM
Denzel Washington.

Mike

4v50 Gary
January 27, 2003, 12:22 PM
Who played "Bubba" in Forrest Gump?

PATH
January 27, 2003, 12:24 PM
Cashing in seems to be as American as apple pie. Everyone seems to do it.

seeker_two
January 27, 2003, 12:35 PM
But County Executive Douglas M. Duncan (D), who hired Moose in 1999, said he believes the chief warrants an exception, given his central role in an investigation that riveted the nation.

About as central as moose droppings to tomato soup!

If they do a movie, they need the fat guy from "Kangaroo Jack" to play Moose (I'm sure he could dumb-down to the role...:D )

Waitone
January 27, 2003, 01:25 PM
Don't be so rough.

His book will at least explain why he had the public chasing a white box truck for so long.

Once that question is answered then perhaps he can provide an estimate as to the number of sniper victims who died while the public was on the look out for a white box van.

Then he can finish with an erudite discussion of the difference between a profile and a perp.

Mr. Moose has a lot of questions to answer. I wonder if anyone has the ***** to ask them.

Look for this guy to run for public office.

NewShooter78
January 27, 2003, 01:35 PM
Why should he get special consideration? If he wants to cash in then he should resign his position and get out of law enforcement. If ethics aren't important for him, then he shouldn't hold that position. We obviously know how Duncan feels about ethics now. :banghead:

Gary H
January 27, 2003, 01:55 PM
That is one movie that I will skip. His use of the English language was like chalk on the board..sandpaper on the tongue..a vasectomy and seeing your ex all rolled into one.

Dannyboy
January 27, 2003, 02:16 PM
Wutchu mean, he won't write dat book. I bet he do write it hisself.

Yeah, right. That's almost as good as some of the professional athletes writing books. If I spoke English that poorly, I don't think I could ever force myself to get on a podium in front of news cameras, to make a fool of myself in front of millions. Of course, considering his job, maybe he doesn't realise he has a problem wif da language. Speaking of his job, how does one get a job like that with such poor communication skills?

BerettaNut92
January 27, 2003, 03:35 PM
Maybe we get to find out why they were racially profiling white men? ;)

Too bad they didn't harass Michael Moore for being a white gun owner.

Carlos Cabeza
January 27, 2003, 03:48 PM
I wondered how Chief Moose was chosen to be the primary spokesperson for the media. He certainly has "ebonics" down to an art form.............:rolleyes:

Waitone
January 27, 2003, 04:31 PM
I suspect the reason Chief Moose was tapped to be the public face was because the entire situation had "charlie-foxtrot" written all over it. The chances of a complete PR failure was sufficiently high that the federales (specifically FIB) specifically did not big-foot the investigation.

No, Mr. Moose was a fall guy set up by the federales so they wouldn't take the fall for a likely failure.

Welcome the the NFL Mr. Moose.

Ol' Badger
January 27, 2003, 04:52 PM
can start working on the JFK shooting. ;) Or Haffa and then if he's not to bessy he can find Osama for us!

seeker_two
January 27, 2003, 05:20 PM
Of course, considering his job, maybe he doesn't realise he has a problem wif da language.

Word up...:cool:

Zip06
January 27, 2003, 06:10 PM
SaxonPig - If you were a law enforcement professional with a PhD and several decades of experience behind you I would like to think you would not take the money and run I would like to think that a professional would:

1. Write up the lessons learned and distribute them nationwide to law enforcement agencies;
2. Hit the lecture circuit to inform law enforcement agencies nationwide what the rationale was for the actions taken and why;
3. Publish a comprehensive analysis of multi-agency coordination, command and control in professional law enforcement journals;
4. Address the problems of victim support;
5. Explain the effects of so many jurisdictions in such a short span of time on his resources;
6. And finally, explain the public relations end of such an operation.

I agree that Moose will head for the federal trough after a while.

Braz
January 27, 2003, 06:28 PM
:rolleyes:

You guys are gonna get dizzy from all dat spinnin'. Find us some heros who were offered six figures and turned it down. Those are inspiring stories, but why pick on a spokesman because of his inflection? How many here snickering have what it takes to get a Ph.D.? And honorably serving his country too! Come on folks.

CZ-75
January 27, 2003, 06:56 PM
Find us some heros who were offered six figures and turned it down.

Key word is "heroes."

Someone whose main contribution to the investigation is giving press conferences, badly one might add, is hardly a hero.

Certainly no Dick Tracy or Sherlock Holmes either. He did none of the footwork that brought the case together.

Last, it wasn't even the police that caught the guys. It was a truck driver. HE IS THE HERO HERE.

Zander
January 27, 2003, 07:14 PM
I just don't understand why he is hated and belittled so much.Besides the fact that he is incompetent and inarticulate? Hard to imagine how the "investigation" under his control could have been any more mismanaged.

Chief Moose was hired because of the color of his skin, not because of his "skills"...he's an embarrassment to his profession.

Let him "write" his book; but don't expect it to reflect anything remotely related to reality. [alliteration free of charge]

DeltaElite
January 27, 2003, 07:18 PM
What's to like? He's a Chief, that makes him despicable. :D

gun-fucious
January 28, 2003, 12:00 AM
Chief Charles Moose:_ How He Fits Montgomery's Profiling Puzzle
Analysis
07/26/00

_________ It is no secret here in Montgomery County that Chief Moose was hired in large part to appease the NAACP and the U.S. Department of Justice._

_________ Competent Moose may be._ Educated he may be._ But black he definitely is. _ And black did not hurt his chances of getting hired._ Moose is also a long time friend of DOJ and its divisive racial data collection policies.

_________ During the 1999 search for a new police chief, the Montgomery County Council was terrified of the NAACP allegations of police bias (very bad press), and they were equally terrified of 3 years of ongoing harassment from the U.S. DOJ (who found no evidence of racial bias in the department)._

_________ Montgomery County Executive, Doug Duncan, who is a politically ambitious liberal democrat who has his eye on the governor's mansion, particularly felt pressure to hire a racial minority as chief of police.

_________ Then, in walked Charles A. Moose, a black 45 year old professional law enforcement officer who had already been thoroughly vetted by the NAACP and by the very liberal U.S. DOJ._ The county council, also dominated by liberal democrats, was quick to hire Moose at a starting salary of $125,000._ It didn't hurt that Moose's press kit prominently reveals he is a long-time advocate of diversity training for police.

_________ Moose's connections with the liberal, pro-diversity Department of Justice are myriad and are long standing:_ While serving in Portland, Oregon Moose served on numerous panels and committees with colleagues from and for the U.S. Department of Justice._

_________ Last summer -- during Moose's wooing of the Montgomery Council -- he was invited by none other than Attorney General Janet Reno her own bad self to be a featured guest speaker on a law enforcement panel. _ That certainly didn't hurt his job prospects with the liberal county council who were desperate to appease the NAACP.

_________ Writing about Moose's new Montgomery job, the Washington Post wrote that he "...is a national leader in trying to stop the use of racial profiling by police."_ (Washington Post, June 9, 1999). _ A cynical person might infer that Moose believes that he can use good racial profiling to combat bad racial profiling in Montgomery._ The NAACP was a very, very enthusiastic supporter of Moose during Montgomery's vetting of the new chief.

_________ Last summer, Moose was also quoted as saying "We don't need a lot of research and data to prove whether there's race-based policing._ If people think it's a problem, then we need to work on it."_ (Washington Post, June 5, 1999. Emphasis added.)_ In this Moose seems to directly echo the perceptions philosophy espoused by Ms. Plummer of the Montgomery NAACP.

_________ Moose has also served on the Civil Rights Committee of the International Association of Chiefs of Police._ As it turns out, the IACP just happened to award the Montgomery police a civil rights award in the fall of 1999, just after Moose's hiring._ As we said, he is very well connected.

_________ Police Chief Mary Ann Viverette served on the Charles A. Moose interview panel in 1999._ Ms. Viverette is chief of a local Montgomery department._ The Post quoted Ms. Viverette as saying: _ "Obviously, relations with the NAACP have been strained for a while._ It seemed the NAACP was on one side and the police department was on the other, and there was a communication barrier. I thought maybe an outsider could open up the communication and reduce those barriers a bit."_ (Washington Post, May 29, 1999)_ Viverette didn't neet to add that being a black outsider really helped.

http://www.adversity.net/MontgomeryCountyPolice/racial_profiling_news.htm

Gary H
January 28, 2003, 12:19 AM
My prejudice against him .. and that is what it is .. is based upon his use of the English language. My reaction to his speech was one that made me think that he was not any better at catching bad guys than putting a sentence together. I also had read about his fight to eliminate a very useful police tool, profiling. The profiling that he wanted eliminated was with relation to blacks, but here it seemed that he was using profiling to look for white guys. It seemed like such a folly to object to profiling and then to apply it in such a way that it probably resulted in more deaths. In all fairness, this is also a prejudice which may be unfounded. The FBI may have been pulling the strings and the chief was just the spokesman. In any case, I couldn't listen to him. He did not inspire confidence. My tag line started long before this post.

Braz
January 28, 2003, 12:38 AM
Thanks for that er, info.

I think I see the problem some have with Moose now. Shameful.

He's a Doctor.
...'Don't matter, he speaks funny!'
He's an officer in our armed forces.
...'Don't matter, he speaks funny!'
He's a decorated vet of his department.
...'but he... he... he's an NAACP lacky!'

How can folks claiming to love America, obviously hate so many Americans? That's a great line and it fits here imo. We're in trouble imo, and we'd better pull as a team or we're screwed.

Gary H
January 28, 2003, 01:42 AM
Braz:

Where do you pick up the idea that folks here "hate so many Americans?"

Everyone has their own prejudice. For example, I have a problem with the lowering of educational standards. The communist party of the 1920's believed that this was an important step, which would allow for a stronger central government that they would control. No, I'm not saying that the communist have orchestrated such an outcome. I'm saying that the outcome is a threat to our freedoms. I don't want national spokespersons to appear to be uneducated. Kids need authorities to emulate. I've spent enough time in school and collected multiple degrees. I know that a degree does not equal an education. I make no claims with regards to my authority in any of these matters, but there is the basis of my prejudice. With regards to profiling; I see the movement to remove profiling as a threat to law enforcements ability to do the job. Here was a case where the profilers got it wrong and prolonged the capture of these two individuals. I have long been aware of Moose's views on profiling in the Northwest. He viewed profiling as racist, but it is not racist if the profiling is based upon valid crime statistics. Now, there may be racist cops that apply profiles improperly and they should be disciplined. Strip searches of eighty year old Swedish grandmothers is not what I want to see once profiling is PC'd out of existence.

Bruce H
January 28, 2003, 07:26 AM
Meet a future FBI director. It has nothing to do with hate. It has all to do with playing the system. As to practicalities I doubt the Chief could catch a criminal in the act in the middle of a large barren parking lot, If they were the only two there.

DeltaElite
January 28, 2003, 09:48 AM
Gee, I don't care how he talks, I don't like him because he is a figurehead who did nothing in the investigation, but is taking a book deal.
He's the typical chief of todays police agencies. He is more worried about the photo op, than doing the right thing for his agency and community.
There are alot of people that talk funny, but are educated and intelligent. Just look at New York. ;)

ahenry
January 28, 2003, 10:20 AM
I thnk Braz nailed it. All of the criticism of Moose starts with, ends with, or centers on the fact that he talks funny...It is unfortuante that he speaks poorly, but hardly makes him stupid or incompetent. Absolutely not, on both statements. As an individual that “talks funny” to people that aren’t from around here, it would be rather hypocritical of me to think that his poor speaking patterns equate to low intelligence. I never did really get the big uproar over his poor speaking abilities, after all, our president isn’t exactly the best speaker we’ve ever had and he certainly isn’t an idiot. Moreover a huge audience can make a mans tongue do strange things. Now, despite what I just said, I think Chief Moose is an idiot. I try not to look at this thing from the clarity of hindsight, but this guy (if he truly was the man in charge) didn’t have a clue. He was always several steps behind in the investigation, and never really appeared to figure anything out at all. The man had a virtually unlimited budget and essentially the use of any resource he wanted. Despite this, he managed to confine his investigation to nothing but reaction to the next shooting. He did nothing proactive, ever. I realize investigations have their reactionary aspects, but that is all his investigation was. Not to mention his available resources. This case was solved in spite of Chief Moose, not because of Chief Moose.

ahenry
January 28, 2003, 10:44 AM
No Saxon, I wasn’t there. I didn’t have to be there to see the incompetence. Of course lots of police work is reactionary, and of course a lot of what he had to do would be reactionary. I don’t fault reacting to each shooting, nor do I fault his “profiling” (although it was pretty hypocritical). What I do fault was his inability to think outside the box. A man in charge of an investigation cannot be limited to the “same old, same old”, nor can he be limited to one idea at the expense of all others. He must expand his possibilities, think creatively, call on all of his resources, abandon (or at least stop fixating on) failed ideas, and get ahead of the criminal not stay behind him. Moose fell into an idea and focused all his energies on that one possibility, unfortunately for him and a few random people, his idea was wrong.

CZ-75
January 28, 2003, 11:48 AM
Maybe I just don't get the points some folks are trying to make, but giving press conferences DOES NOT, I repeat, DOES NOT make you a hero.

The hero here, plain and simple, is the truck driver, who had the presence of mind not only to be suspicious of the suspects car, but also to orchestrate closing off the entrances and exits to the rest area.

Moose, whatever his shortcomings in elocution and his strengths in educational background, didn't do anything worthy of being called a hero. If anything, he did his job, and that's it. When does doing your job make you a hero (barring personal risk involved)?

Sad day to see a bureaucrat called a hero. J. Edgar Hoover should've gotten all the credit for bagging Dillinger, Floyd, and Nelson, I guess?

Going further, I wish to make the point that Moose's education, tenure, and military service are non-sequiturs with regard to heroism. The only thing that can be inferred from them is that he has qualifications for his job other than skin color.

Gary H
January 28, 2003, 11:50 AM
I think Braz nailed it. All of the criticism of Moose starts with, ends with, or centers on the fact that he talks funny. Well, the fact is that he grew up in the South, in a black neighborhood, where he developed that sort of slurred, corrupted manner of speaking. The fact that he seems to have a slight speech impediment doesn't help the situation. It is unfortunate that he speaks poorly, but hardly makes him stupid or incompetent.

I would have the same problem with a Pentagon, or White House spokesperson with a serious problem with English. I would not have had such a problem with Moose should he have directed things but stayed in the background, or had a speech impediment, but did not slaughter the language. He was more than a little bit of an embarrassment in that regard.

In a vacuum, I believe that my position is indefensible. In a culture shaped by a deteriorating educational system and pop-artist glorifying the downfall of this culture, my prejudice has some basis. My objection to Moose does not extend to objecting to his position of power, but rather objecting to him as a national spokesperson.

I would like to point out that Saddam might be such a nasty man because he had a tough childhood, but that still makes him a bad guy. I don't equate Moose with Saddam, but I suggest that you must maintain standards for people to strive for and not lower the standards to accommodate someone's self-esteem.

waterdog
January 28, 2003, 08:58 PM
Let him do the book, but I suggest he get several 1000 emails, shaming him into donating the proceeds to the families of the slain citizens.

waterdog

DeltaElite
January 28, 2003, 09:05 PM
Saxon,
Chief Moose would only profit off of the deaths of innocents.
That is shameful.
I know full well what a chief does and doesn't do at a large agency, so don't be condecending.
Maybe you should start the "Chief Moose" fan club. :D

BTW there are two kinds of cops.
Street cops who make arrests, like me and REMF's, like Chiefs. :D

Braz
January 28, 2003, 09:08 PM
I like that idea WD,

I mis-spoke I think. I don't believe Moose is a hero. I meant anyone cursed with a sad, temporary celebrity and then refused offers of six figures to cash in, would be a hero in my eyes.

Would love to hear more about folks like that, but their humility would preclude publicity.

January 28, 2003, 09:30 PM
I may be all wet here, but his manner of speaking turns me off. And I don't buy the idea that it is because of where he grew up. He hasn't lived there for a long time. He has been exposed to higher education, he is a military officer, he has hob nobed with the elite to get a job like he has. I may be wrong, but I firmly believe that for him to talk like that, he has to make an effort to talk like that.
Think about this. If you try to learn a foreign language, you usually make an effort at correct pronunciation. You don't just sound the words out as they would be pronounced in English. If you hear a word spoken in a certain way for years and you say it in a different way, you almost have to make an effort to do that.
I grew up in a small rural town. I had a definite accent, and used different words than the people where I presently live. When I first moved here, hardly a day went by that I didn't hear some comment about my being a hillbilly or whatever. I soon tired of it and adopted the words and phrases used in this part of the country. Actually it was kind of funny. I would go on a call and we would have a patient that my partner didn't understand. I will tell him what the guy was saying and everybody started joking that I was a hillbilly translator.

BerettaNut92
January 28, 2003, 09:35 PM
With regards to speech, I think President Bush is a lousy speaker, but I still respect his office.

Schuey2002
January 28, 2003, 09:46 PM
Who played "Bubba" in Forrest Gump?
Gary, Bubba Blue was played by Mykelti Williamson.
With regards to speech, I think President Bush is a lousy speaker, but I still respect his office.
I was thinking the same thing. :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Chief Bullwinkle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!