winterizing your rifle

PDA

Tag
January 18, 2004, 06:52 PM
Howdy all,

This winter is dropping alot of snow on my area, very cold, windy, lot's of snow.

Anyways, I've been doing alot of predator hunting and on some trips my rifle get's pretty well caked in snow. I keep the bore covered with electrical tape and I'm useing some of those Butler Creek scope covers. When I get back I let my rifle air out for a few hours before checking it over and putting it back in it's case.

Is there anything you guys do before or after a long snowcovered day in the woods to take care of your rifle?

wind chills around -20 tonight :D

If you enjoyed reading about "winterizing your rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ARperson
January 18, 2004, 07:26 PM
I don't have to worry about that problem, but I would run a borensnake down the barrel with a basic cleaner. Then a dry patch to soak up any excess. Then an oil patch or two and then lightly oil down the rest of it.

The oil will help prevent the moisture from making contact on subsequent trips.

I personally wouldn't let it air dry as this only gives any moisture time to work its "magic." Granted probably not enough time in any one trip, but the accumulation of multiple trips without any attention and nasty things might happen. But a lot also depends on what kind of finish we're talking about.

I just happen to be paranoid about rust.

Tag
January 18, 2004, 07:41 PM
I just happen to be paranoid about rust.

me too!

I've alwase kept a thin film of militec in the bore (bore snake) and the bolt and safety have been treated w/ militec every time I get back since the rifle was new.

no rust on the weapons.

ARperson
January 18, 2004, 07:43 PM
the bolt and safty have been treated w/ militec every time I get back since the rifle was new

You left that part out. Knowing that, I think you're good. And since it seems to be working, I'd say that's your best evidence. :cool:

redneck
January 18, 2004, 08:03 PM
If I've had a gun out in bad weather, I always wipe it down really well with a cloth thats wetted with a light oil (rem-oil etc.). Helps get off any dirt that might stick to it and cause rust and gets rid of any moisture.

If I know I'm taking it out in bad weather I wipe it down with oil before I go.

Subby
January 19, 2004, 01:35 AM
Rifles, etc are "aired out" when brought in from cold weather so the heat from your home doesn't condense moisture on the gun. If you put the gun in a case and let it heat up in a more or less sealed environment it can rust.

Sub

Tag
January 19, 2004, 02:13 AM
If you put the gun in a case and let it heat up in a more or less sealed environment it can rust.

I've seen a lot of old rifles with a pretty uniform speckling of rust, very similar in appearance to how the gunmetal frost's up when first brought indoors...

plateshooter
January 19, 2004, 01:34 PM
If I get one of my rifles, or shotguns soaked from being out in the rain, I use a heat gun to heat the metal parts to completely dry them out. This works quite well in single shot shotguns where you don't really want to disassemble the internals. Spray some oil or lube of your choice in the action while it's still warm and your done. I have had no rusting problems using this proceedure.

Brian Williams
January 19, 2004, 02:07 PM
Wax or RIG

Prior to being out in any weather I will wax my gun whether rifle, shotty, or handgun with Renaissance wax or just cheap old Johnsons Yellow can paste wax. This will seal the gun from water and keep most dust and dirt from sticking.
Another good method for keeping guns from rusting is to get some RIG, Rust Inhibiting Grease. Work about a pea sized ball into a good sized piece of lambs wool and rub it into the surface of you gun, use just a little and add a bb worth every 3 or 4 guns and it will last for along time.

If you enjoyed reading about "winterizing your rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!