Did this work, or was it impossible?

PDA

daorhgih
July 4, 2011, 01:25 PM
While I was on vacation in South Viet Nam a few decades ago, the "Air Police" in and around Da Nang City and Da Nang Air Base were using .38/.357 pistols exclusively. Their "miracle round" of that day was a .357 pill consisting of 3 or 4 wad-cutters swaged into one bullet, stacked nose-into-tail to get the proper length. There was room for enough powder to get good speed, and the round wouldn't chamber of course in a .38. (I bought my first personal weapon, an MAB .22lr auto-loader from Algeria, in 1968 after I'd been out a few months, so my nomenclature may be faulty on this point.) So, was that a good concept (I believe it was for dog- and crowd-control) and is it used anywhere in this century? Thanks. L1S1

If you enjoyed reading about "Did this work, or was it impossible?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
highlander 5
July 4, 2011, 01:44 PM
Either one of the major ammo makers or one of the "custom" makers was selling such a load several years ago IIRC. 4 40gr wadcutters one on top of the other like stacked clay pigeons. Don't know how effective it was,but can't say I'd want to beshot with it.

Walkalong
July 4, 2011, 01:49 PM
There was an article in G&A years ago about loading these thin wadcutters in .38 and .357 cases.

2 or 3 in the Spl and 3 or 4 in the .357 cases, but I do not remember for sure which.

GP100man
July 4, 2011, 02:00 PM
My first shot at my CCW class was 3 round balls out of a 357 case , the instructor liked the concept but not the timing ???

I told I was hoping 1 would be in the middle so I`d have somthing to aim at on the B-27 target !!

bigfatdave
July 4, 2011, 02:23 PM
http://hellinahandbasket.net/?p=6808

Hell In A Handbasket did a write-up a bit back

Winchester makes a .410 Judge-tailored load
Winchester Supreme Elite, PDX1, 2 inch Ammunition for Personal Defense, 12 plated BBs, and 3 plated Cylinder Projectiles
http://www.theboxotruth.com/images4/53-3.jpg

You can only send so much kinetic energy out the front of your gun the way I see it, I think that modern expanding loads have exceeded the capabilities of a single wadcutter, and I'd suspect that modern expanding ammo will deliver better than multiple lighter wadcutters, but I don't have testing on it.

ReloaderFred
July 4, 2011, 04:45 PM
Back in the early 1970's I was flattening 00 Buck with a hammer and then sizing it to .357" diameter in a Lyman 450 sizer. I greased up some thin card wads that I cut with the top punch on the Lyman sizer and placed one between each of the flattened shot. I then weighed the three shot and came up with an appropriate powder charge and proceeded to test them on anything I could find to shoot them at in the desert area where I was living and working at the time.

The penetration wasn't the greatest, but at about 10 yards they formed into a nice triangular pattern on paper about 2" to 3" across. I finally decided it was too much trouble and went back to casting bullets.

Hope this helps.

Fred

daorhgih
July 5, 2011, 01:53 AM
GP100man, BigFat, & Fred, thanks for the info; all questions have been answered.

If you enjoyed reading about "Did this work, or was it impossible?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!