Federal large rifle primers- marking paint

PDA

rhinoh
July 6, 2011, 08:11 AM
Loading up some .308 today I noticed some of the Federal Large Rifle Primers had too much of the red marking paint on them.
Some of it had almost plugged the flash holes and on a few it had run down into the primer cup itself through the holes.

I'd already loaded about 35 before I noticed this :cuss:
Of course I have no idea now many of that 35 are affected.

Will the primers fire through this stuff?

Lesson learned, look at primers very carefully from now on..

I normally don't buy Federal primers but these were acquired during the last shortage when ya bought what ya could get:scrutiny:

I'll try to get some pics up later when the wife is up with her good camera..;)

If you enjoyed reading about "Federal large rifle primers- marking paint" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Walkalong
July 6, 2011, 08:24 AM
I seriously doubt it will affect anything. Primers are quite violent. Only one way to know for sure, and that's to try them. :)

rhinoh
July 6, 2011, 09:28 AM
I will try them, not gonna pull them all to check.
Might try to conatct Federal and see what they say...

Federal responded- see below

rhinoh
July 6, 2011, 07:38 PM
Got an email reply from Federal-

"The amount of latex on the primers does not change the primer output. The heat burns through instantly and vents into the cartridge case regardless of amount."

Have to praise them for responding the same day:)

If you enjoyed reading about "Federal large rifle primers- marking paint" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!