Primer Cup Hardness


PDA






dradave
July 6, 2011, 06:58 PM
I reload 9mm for my striker fired Taurus PT111 and my hammer fired Star BM. I have used both Remington and Winchester SPP. I get light strikes with failure to fire out of my Taurus to the tune of 1 out of every mag. My Star seems to fire every round every time. I've cleaned the pins and channels in the Taurus but still keep getting light firing pin strikes. The Taurus has only about 2000 rounds fired through it so I don't think it is weak parts. I've contemplated trying other primer brands, in fact, I tried some Tula SPP and the problem magnified in the Taurus with about 3 to 4 light strikes every mag.

As far as cup hardness, what is the degree of softness/hardness between Remington, Winchester, CCI and Federal primers?

Thanks all...

If you enjoyed reading about "Primer Cup Hardness" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Walkalong
July 6, 2011, 07:00 PM
CCI is the hardest to set off. Federal is the easiest.

res45
July 6, 2011, 07:35 PM
Try some Federals,you shouldn't have anymore issues with FTF's if you do then I would take a look at the gun.

ranger335v
July 6, 2011, 09:31 PM
I really don't think the alloy of primer cups changes much by brand. Thickness does, but very slightly. Mostly the difference between "hard" and "soft" primers is the impact sensitivity of the priming pellets and Federals are the most sensitive I know of.

gamestalker
July 6, 2011, 11:35 PM
I own and load for a Taurus PT111 and have not had any problems. I use CCI SPP and on occasion Winchester. Are you seating the primers below the head (.001") or to just below the head? More often than any other reason, a shallow seated primer will cause this issue. Will the round fire on the second attempt?
I would also inspect the F.P. checking it for proper length.
I use an RCBS priming die which gives me a consistent seating depth I can count on.

Walkalong
July 6, 2011, 11:55 PM
Primers that have not been fully seated is 90% of the reason primers fail. The other 10% is weak springs.

dradave
July 7, 2011, 12:02 AM
Thanks for all the responses. I use a Hornady LNL to reload these rounds. The primers are seated just below flush although I do not how far below they are. Even with a second strike they still will not fire. Later on I run them through my hammer fired Star and they fire just fine. I'll try some Federal primers to see how they work. If I still have issues I'll order some new firing pin springs.

Take care...

Walkalong
July 7, 2011, 12:05 AM
Yep, sounds like a gun problem.

amlevin
July 7, 2011, 01:08 PM
I would take a close look at the gun.

I've used every brand of primer in my Sig and CZ, as well as an S&W I sold and never had an issue with primers failing due to light strkes.

Even NEW guns can have spring problems.

1SOW
July 7, 2011, 10:35 PM
I've lightened all the springs in my range./comp fun-gun. It needed FED SPPs for 100% reliabilty.

I've since put in an extended firing pin that gives me more primer choices, but I still prefer the FED SPPs.

If your primers are seated "FULLY" as in all the way in, your pistol should fire all the name-brand primers.

If you enjoyed reading about "Primer Cup Hardness" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!