Is Chamfering necessary?

PDA

nyc71
July 6, 2011, 10:33 PM
I purchased 500 boattail round, I noticed the bullet (Hornady FMJ BT) fits on the case without Chamfering.
Is this step still necessary?
Thanks in advance.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety"- Benjamin Franklin

If you enjoyed reading about "Is Chamfering necessary?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
longdayjake
July 6, 2011, 10:44 PM
I think you may not understand what chamfering is. Maybe you are confusing this with belling a case?

Chamfering is removing excess brass left over from trimming the cases. I have found that it is possible to load up stuff without properly chamfering but you could end up with excess pressure or your round may not fit inside your chamber. It is wise and helpful to do so.

Belling a rifle case is not needed. Hence, there is no belling die with a rifle set.

Or did you mean crimping?

Walkalong
July 6, 2011, 10:51 PM
I like to trim rifle brass for uniformity, so I have to chamfer and deburr to get rid of sharp edges and little swirls of brass. Some new cases, even untrimmed, can benifit from it. You can, of course, get by without chamfering or deburring if you have not trimmed the brass. Heck, you could skip it even if you trimmed, but it's a bad idea.

Kevin Rohrer
July 7, 2011, 02:21 AM
Chamfering new brass makes it easier to seat bullets. It may not be necessary when using BT bullets, but it might also be desirable as it helps prevent collapsing the case mouth during seating.

Doug b
July 7, 2011, 03:56 AM
You can get by with new brass though the bullet probably will have poor runout.With trimmed brass you will have larger runout numbers and you will be sending globs of molten brass down your bore.

If you enjoyed reading about "Is Chamfering necessary?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!