I and H

PDA

kestak
July 7, 2011, 10:58 AM
Greetings,

I know...I know... But I want your input guys.

I have great results in many guns in 308 and 30-06 with 150 and 168 grains in my guns with I4895 (Howa .308, Savage 110 30-06, M1A .308 and M1 30-06). I live in South Georgia and temperature is pretty mild compared to the north when I shoot (I shoot when weather is between 40 and 100 degrees mostly).

I am about to make a purchase of 2x 8 lbs of powder. Would you stick with I4895 and the hell with better temperature resistance or go with H4895 and rework the loads for those 4 guns?

Thank you

If you enjoyed reading about "I and H" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hondo 60
July 7, 2011, 12:24 PM
kestak,

I guess it depends....

Do you enjoy working up loads?
Or would you rather just stick with what you know?

Me personally? I enjoy the challenge of finding that sweet spot.

Smokey Joe
July 7, 2011, 12:29 PM
Kestak--Your answer is,I have great results in many gunsand you're using a particular powder.

The questions like "My results are excellent with XXX powder but what do you guys think of YYY powder instead?" always make me shrug.

Myself, I'm a firm believer in "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Personally, I like reloading ammunition to make ammunition to go & shoot. I DO NOT like reloading ammunition just to be putzing around with reloading ammunition. But mebbe that's just me.

ETA--Sounds from the above that I just like going to the range to make noise. NOPE! I compete in benchrest, among other activities--Satisfactory results for me may very well be quite picky. (Depends on for which firearm.) But when I arrive at those satisfactory results, I stop looking further. Those people who go to the range to empty mag after mag, as fast as possible, I cannot understand for the life of me.

bds
July 7, 2011, 12:47 PM
I am in the same boat but the other way - I use H4895, Varget and RL15 for .308 and just picked up a pound of IMR4895 to compare with H4895.

I enjoy working up loads as my primary objective in shooting/reloading is to arrive at the most accurate bullet/powder/barrel combination I can feasibly attain.

If you are curious, perhaps you can try a pound container to compare. For me, H4895 has worked very well for <150-168 gr bullets. It is one of few powders bench rest shooters at TheRiflemansJournal.com use for their long range .308 matches. ;)

kestak
July 7, 2011, 01:21 PM
Greetings,

I handload 24 calibers. I got my share of working loads.
I am not even bothering with primers anymore. They are all magnum and I know which ones work with which power/caliber for the best results.

With some firearms, I measure in MOA, others I measure in MOD (minutes of deer).

I just want to know if you would use H4895 in my case or not. Just an honest question to have your opinions guys. I can't bounce it on my wife, she does not handload...hehe..So you are what I have left... :D

Thank you

mrbro
July 7, 2011, 01:31 PM
After many years of dinking around I've finally settled on a firm process using 1 bullet and 1 load for each rifle and have sighted in the rifles for these loads. Now, for the first time, I can take my rifle and the loads I have made up for it and know exactly where it's going to hit. I'm done developing loads for what I currently have.

If you enjoyed reading about "I and H" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!