PDA

JO JO
July 7, 2011, 02:23 PM
how many people load indoors, I was thinking of relocating my reloading set
up to a spare room in the house, garage gets hot in summer and cold for
winter, I load rifle, pistol and shotgun ammo, so any opinions on if its safe
to load inside as for as health issues and safty. I will keep the tumbler use
to outside.

If you enjoyed reading about "reloading location" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mdi
July 7, 2011, 02:30 PM
Some folks have concerns about spilled powder on carpet being vaccuumed up and lost primers. I'm not one. I think if you reload in comfort, you would be less likely to make mistakes. I had a portable "bench" I move into the dining room during the winter. Made from a WorkMate that folded up and components were transported from shed to dining room in a plastic shoe box. Everything could be hidden easily and the wife was OK with that...

Blackrock
July 7, 2011, 02:37 PM
Indoors is great for reloading. I pulled up the carpet and put down ceramic tile in the smallest edroom. Painted and decorated to my taste and created my Man Cave. Got computer and TV and a lot of room.

swiftak
July 7, 2011, 03:13 PM
My sons old bedroom. All my stuff is in there. Wood floors with no carpet so spillage is just swept up.

Hangingrock
July 7, 2011, 03:30 PM
I load in the basement. Refurbished pervious owners work bench and added a section so the work bench is a “T” configuration. I up graded the work bench area with the addition of electrical power switches, ground fault outlets, power strips, and overhead lighting. A dehumidifier was installed in the basement to reduce the potential moisture related problems. I designed a simplistic water deluge system for the powder storage location.

Finally last but not least installed smoke alarms and a fire extinguisher for the obvious reasons.

MrOldLude
July 7, 2011, 03:46 PM
I clamp my the base of my press to my desk in my office/computer room. If I had to load in my garage/shed during the KS summer and winter, I'd quit reloading and buy factory ammo again. Truthfully, I'm more comfortable storing my reloading gear inside, away from major temperature and humidity fluctuations.

Capt Roy
July 7, 2011, 03:53 PM
I use a spare bedroom with no carpet and tile floor... I do all of my reloading in comfort. I also have my safe, a small work bench, all my fishing gear, and lots of shelves, TV... yes it's a real mancave..

My wife is more than picky about the room and bought all the shelves and cabinets when I retired and even my reloading bench is a finished cabinet with a 1 1/2" butcher block top. I keep everything neat and that keeps her happy..

About those dropped primers.. Boy I am careful.. I could just see one run through a vaccum..

natgas
July 7, 2011, 04:17 PM
My office is also my reloading room; have everything right here that I could possibly need (except a range to shoot)

Friendly, Don't Fire!
July 7, 2011, 04:26 PM
The basement, make sure it is dry and monitor any static.

Revolver218
July 7, 2011, 05:08 PM
Another plug for the Workmate. Add a short piece of 2x6 on the top for added support, lower the legs, place a portable table in front and to the sides, a chair and you're good to go. Very portable and sturdy.

codefour
July 7, 2011, 05:36 PM
In my area of N. California, it is not uncommon to have 100 days with 100+ temperatures.. The garage gets very hot, even hotter than outside. But all the bedrooms are used by my daughters.

Next house I buy will have an extra bedroom for just reloading. A seperate man cave with a hard wood floor and hopefully a solid foundation to hold the 1500 lb safe.

I wish I could move my benches inside someday. I bought this house before I started reloading...

I had to move my Thumler's Tumbler inside though. The little motor was running smokin hot in the garage heat. The indoor A/C helps it run at normal temps again....

Red Cent
July 7, 2011, 05:44 PM
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=589283&highlight=man+cave

amlevin
July 7, 2011, 05:59 PM
I use a spare bedroom for my reloading. The floor is carpeted but I regularly vacuum with a small Shop Vac that has a paper bag filter installed in it. The disposable bag catches all powder granules and primers before they are passed through the motor/fan assy.

Regular disposal of the bag is all that's needed.

I also guard against powder spills and chase down any primers that might be dropped. A small price to pay in order to load in a comfortable environment.

Cherokee
July 7, 2011, 08:05 PM
Basement. Don't spill powder, don't drop primers. Concrete floor, standing mats, lots of electrical outlets and lighting.

Hondo 60
July 7, 2011, 09:14 PM
Up here in the Great White North, it's almost impossible to reload in the garage or a shed, unless it's very well insulated & temp controlled.
It's too hot in the summer (well over 100 in the garage) & too cold in the winter).

I have my tumbler in the garage, but all the rest of my reloading equipment is in a spare bedroom (74 degrees right now & not humid :D ).

1SOW
July 7, 2011, 09:33 PM
Attached garage, South Texas, HOT in the summer.

The insulated garage had a freezer alcove that's now cabinets and shelf above and drawers and cabinets below the reloading bench. I have a small fan mounted at eye level where I reload to blow the sweat out of my eyes. My woodwqorking and welding equipment fill half, and my wifes car fills the other half.

Not much of a man cave, but it's mine--mostly.

Sunray
July 7, 2011, 09:34 PM
"...health issues and safety..." There are none. No need to tumble in your garage either. Load wherever you have the space.

Jesse Heywood
July 7, 2011, 09:41 PM
A long, long time ago I reloaded in a metal shed in Kansas. It didn't take long for me to quit. Too hot in the summer, too cold in the winter.

This time I made a setup in the basement. Computer on a big desk next to a loading bench. Concrete floor and I do it all in a padded office chair. Even have a tv that I can watch the races on when I'm not loading. Makes a great escape from the war department.

dickttx
July 7, 2011, 09:42 PM
I have a new reloading setup in a corner of my garage, which is about 2/3 basement (2/3 of garage is underground). I can go out in the morning and load as it is not too hot. About 11:00 sweat starts running so I close down till the next morning. Would really like to have a place in the house, but just not room there.

amlevin
July 8, 2011, 01:23 PM
"...health issues and safety..." There are none.

Unless the wife catches you spending too much money on your hobby:what:

REL1203
July 8, 2011, 01:58 PM
I used my basement office (which previous held a futon, my desk (big ikea one) and my safe. I pulled the futon, and built my bench around the space i had, and couldnt be happier... I was originally gonna put it upstairs in a spare bedroom, but it has carpet, and didnt want to deal with that (plus its hot up there on the 3rd floor). My basement is now basically my entire level with my office, then my theater room and utility room

jleyring
July 8, 2011, 02:00 PM
I use a storage room in the basement with tile floors so i can sweep up any messes

oneounceload
July 8, 2011, 03:07 PM
Current house is too small to reload indoors, but I keep components inside until I reload - it can be a PITA here in central FL starting in May, even with 2 ceiling fans and 2 floor fans, 100+ is 100+.

If you are going to reload indoors and IF carpet has to stay, get yourself a large enough area rug that you can take outside once in a while to shake any powder and other debris out onto the lawn. If you are using a swivel chair, get the hard plastic floor mat to reduce static electricity and maybe install a small "static eliminator" (or whatever they call it) that folks use around their computers to avoid static

If you are in a basement where humidity is an issue, then a dehumidifier would be helpfull

HK SD9 Tactical
July 8, 2011, 05:50 PM
Spare bedroom in my house. Air conditioned, natural light, linoleum flooring so there is no issue with either primers or powder. Can't do it in my shop outdoors, just gets too hot and too humid so I decided that inside was best. Only one under 18 left at home so with 4 bedrooms, I decided to 'capture' one for my office/reloading room.

1KPerDay
July 8, 2011, 06:06 PM
Spare closet.

rfwobbly
July 8, 2011, 09:55 PM
Indoors is fine, just keep the tumbler and all the tumbling outside.

1KPerDay
July 9, 2011, 01:12 AM
Why?

Lost Sheep
July 9, 2011, 02:38 AM
3 Toolboxes

All the hardware I use to reload now fits in 3 toolboxes.
Not fitting in the toolboxes is a folding workbench, but an endtable works just as well. Wedge the mounting board into the drawer.

Toolbox 1- Press and a board to mount it on and a small (fisherman's compartmentalized) box for small items

Toolbox 2- 7 sets of dies

Toolbox 3- Powder measures, primer tool, micrometer, bullet puller, safety glasses, etc.

I can spread an old painter's dropcloth out to catch any spilled powder or dropped primers (cloth is better than plastic-it's quieter and it drapers better so primers don't roll away).

I can load anywhere and even take it over to a friend's house with just two trips from my closet to the car.

It took a while to find toolboxes that fit just right and a couple of decades to figure out just the right equipment I needed and not include anything extra, but I could get along just fine forever with just the gear in those three toolboxes.

Lost Sheep

FROGO207
July 10, 2011, 07:39 AM
I use the spare bedroom for it all. Had to beef up the floor from underneath for a waterbed previously and now glad I did.:D Now if I hit the lottery there is going to be a reloading setup/range in paradise. My own island if I can swing it.:D

oneounceload
July 10, 2011, 10:51 AM
Why?

Because the dust is nasty, and can contain stuff you do not want to inhale

ColtPythonElite
July 10, 2011, 10:53 AM
Basement here. It stays comfortable year round without additional heating or cooling.........Been tumbling in the house for 20 years or so, I'm not dead yet. I don't see a problem unless you are hovering over a lidless tumbler and intentionally inhaling the air right above it.

DC Plumber
July 10, 2011, 11:33 AM
I am lucky enough to have a 12'x15' room in my basement as my "gun room". I acquired an 8' section of old kitchen cabinets that I put a new 8' piece of counter top on and have my press and powder dispenser attached permanently. My room has a cement floor so clean up is easy. In the winter my basement is warm, in the summer it's cool from the AC and in spring and fall, a dehumifier keeps it pretty nice. I do try to do my reloading when the humidity is low though. It probably makes little difference, as my loads don't sit around very long.

mokin
July 10, 2011, 12:03 PM
I reload indoors all the time. My "bench" fits into a tupperware tub I can take with me while I travel for work which is probably when the bulk of my handloading takes place. At home, I spend time shooting and preparing the brass to go back out. While at home I usually handload in the garage although, until we put nice tile on the kitchen counter I occaisoinally worked there. Now, I sometimes bring in a small table to work on.

poco loco
July 10, 2011, 05:26 PM
One of the only good parts of singledom, No one to say "Get that %^$# out of here"

Mine is in the very large living room, genuine faux tile floor so no vacuum and I lucked into a bunch of old C store shelving that works perfect to divide the space and store even heavy components.......Much better than out in the shed where there were about 20 comfortable days a year......

poco loco
July 10, 2011, 05:32 PM
as for tumbling inside, I never do it as it allows lead dust to settle on and contaminate every surface in the room if not the house....

set the tumbler outside when running just to be on the safe side...Lead poisoning is nothing to play with.....

codefour
July 10, 2011, 05:44 PM
You can tumble inside... As long as your tumbler is sealed like my Thumler's Tumbler. I open the tumbler out in the garage with the door open though..

poco loco
July 10, 2011, 05:59 PM
I picked up a thumblers cheap recently but have only used it to flatten the sprue on my cast buckshot.....for the brass I use a big Lyman vibratory and it spews dust like crazy....A new seal would probably help as mine doesn't even connect at the ends but I haven't ordered a new one yet as I just use it outside, I did start following some advice I read here and adding a dryer sheet to the mix. Really helps cut the dust and clean the media too.

plus the noise drives me nuts...too many years in garages...I like quiet any more.

poco loco
July 10, 2011, 06:29 PM
sorry double post

Hondo 60
July 10, 2011, 08:15 PM
I too, won't tumble in the house.
The dust is just too hazardous-looking.

When I use lead bullets, there's a black dust that settles on the lid of my tumbler.
I vacuum it off with my shop vac, but I don't want that in the house.

oneounceload
July 10, 2011, 09:43 PM
You can keep tumbler dust down with some old dryer sheets thrown in

JO JO
July 12, 2011, 02:28 AM
Thanks for all the advise and info I will build my reloading mancave indoors in a spare
bedroom wife said room is all mine so done deal but I will keep tumbler outside due
to its noise and mess, only thing is more room means Ill need more stuff

James2
July 12, 2011, 11:21 AM
I have been loading a long time and in several different locations. I have been in a closet, a shed, a chicken coop (no chickens), a garage, and a couple of different basement rooms. At present my Man Cave/reloading room is in the basement. This is by far the best arrangement. Pretty consistent year round temperatures. No humidity issues here in dry Utah. Cement floor, means broom cleanup. Lock on the door to keep curious grandkids out. I too do tumbling outside. I don't like the dust inside.

jtmo3
July 12, 2011, 12:38 PM
Garage.

dbarnhart
July 12, 2011, 03:53 PM
100+ According to the weather bureau here in Phoenix, Az 100 degrees is just 'warm'. (I hear that the JUly 4th sidewalk eggfry contest up in Oatman didn't go so well this year as it was only 116 that day).

As you might guess, we have a totally different perspective on 'hot'. Even now, when the temps are at their peak, I can go out into the garage about dusk and load a couple hundred rounds before it starts to get uncomfortable.

I have to admit though, when my son finally moves out I may move the reloading bench into his room.

dmazur
July 12, 2011, 04:58 PM
I also reload in a spare bedroom, which doubles as our office. There are two solid-core doors on 4x4 legs w/ shelves under, on opposite sides of the room. One is used for the computer stuff and the other is "general purpose", which includes having a press bolted to one end most of the time.

Having the computer in the same room is kind of handy, as I can read/enter reloading data in a spreadsheet as I'm making progress, rather than having to write it down and take it to the computer to transcribe it. The fact that it is 180 opposite means it can't be a distraction while actually running the press. :)

I haven't had enough spilled powder for it to be an issue in a carpeted room, but I did locate the tumbler and trimming operations in the garage.

I also open the door to run the media separator and I wear disposable gloves until I get the clean brass bagged. And the tumbler is noisy enough that nobody wants to listen to it.

Trimming isn't a health hazard, but I have a motorized one so it is rather noisy as well.

So,

Quiet and no health hazards = spare bedroom
Noisy and no health issues = garage
Health issues (lead compound dust) = outdoors

mgmorden
July 12, 2011, 05:14 PM
I reload in the shed out back (it's a fairly large shed though - a bit bigger than a 1 car garage and it's got power outlets and everything). I even get wireless internet from the house and keep an old computer out there :). Only problem with it is the climate. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter to load out there. Also, I noticed that with the temperature shifts some of my dies and other equipment were started to rust a bit. Once I noticed that I started keeping the dies in the house and just taking them out there as needed.

Because of the temperature problem I'm planning on getting a small press to put somewhere in the house. The dies are already in there and I can bring in just enough components to work in small batches. Being in the house should help in regards to the temp.

Whenever I move (which I'm planning on hopefully doing so within the next year or so) I'm hoping to setup a dedicated room with laminate floors and a much larger reloading area. At that time I'll likely look at moving up to a progressive press as well - just don't have the room right now.

If you enjoyed reading about "reloading location" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!