.50 cartridge in a 20ga. side saddle?

PDA

Acolyte
January 19, 2004, 12:58 AM
Hello,
I was just wondering if anyone knew if a .50BMG cartridge will fit in one of those TacStar Side Saddle things for a 20 gauge shotgun.
I don't have a 20ga shell laying around ... are they of similar diameter?
Thanks for any input!

If you enjoyed reading about ".50 cartridge in a 20ga. side saddle?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Lancel
January 19, 2004, 02:53 AM
Per Hornady Handbook 5th edition, a .50 BMG is .803" tapering to .714" behind the shoulder. I just measured the brass of a Federal 20 ga shotshell at .693". That suggests the .50 BMG would fit at least part way.

Just curious - what firearm are you thinking of mounting the side saddle on?

Larry

Blain
January 19, 2004, 10:53 AM
It would fit in a 12 gauge side saddle a lot better, me thinks.

Acolyte
January 19, 2004, 12:20 PM
Blain, I thought a 12 ga was too big, but I'm not sure ... I'll have to check it out.

Larry, nothing specific yet, I'm just trying to brainstorm ways of having access to rounds ... but I was thinking you could mount a couple of those side saddle's along the side of a Serbu or a Rebel or something .......

If you enjoyed reading about ".50 cartridge in a 20ga. side saddle?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!