Reloading for Marlin 338

PDA

bleon711
July 7, 2011, 10:22 PM
I've had my Marlin 338 for a little over a year and absolutely love it. I am currently developing some reduced power 200 LFP gas checked loads the results of which I will post here. I will use both Hornady dies and Lee custom Collet dies for these loads and am looking forward to the results. I fully anticipate my Marlin 338 will become my go-to rifle.

If you enjoyed reading about "Reloading for Marlin 338" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
NCsmitty
July 7, 2011, 11:08 PM
Best of luck in your endeavor, it should be interesting. Collet dies may not be the best choice for use with a lever action in 338 Marlin Express, but if you have them, you can try them. More likely, your full length resizer will give you a better fit to your chamber.

NCsmitty

GooseGestapo
July 8, 2011, 05:37 PM
I've had mine for about a year and a half likewise. I've developed loads for both the Hornady 200gr FTX and the Lee 220gr RNGC.
I was using AA#2520 but have switched to Hodgdon's LVR for jacketed bullets. Lower pressures at similar velocities for lower lever effort.
For the 250gr bullets (Hornady 250gr RN) I'm using RL15 and exceeding the velocity of the Remington factory loads.

For "plinking" loads with the cast bullets, I'm using 24.5gr of Alliant #2400. For full speed loads (2,100fps) I'm using RL15.

You'll get better response and information over on the Marlin Owners forum.
www.marlinowners.com

See ya there!

If you enjoyed reading about "Reloading for Marlin 338" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!