Set in their ways

PDA

Dimis
July 8, 2011, 01:27 PM
Have any of you ever noticed how seriously some people take certain things

Ive been to the range with everything from "serious" weaponry to plinkers and toys

I always tend to get the evil eye when I bring out things like my hipoint carbine or 9mm largo destroyer carbine If I dont have the AR with me

I get the same dirty looks if I have my vaquero and 25cal reck out without my 1911 or LCR

Even if you do have "the right gun" you may not (in some peoples eyes) have it the proper way.

like owning an AR with anything other than a quad rail forend 16 inch barrel and some uber stock from some company that sells specifically to the Marine Force Recon Delta Seal Squad 17

I love guns... all kinds of guns... even the junk ones no one would seriously consider for self defense hunting or other purpose

I own some very good pieces for SD/HD I also have some good arms for hunting and pest control.
But a good deal of my guns are just for fun and to send lead down range

Some people just turn their noses up unless you have the top of the line combat ready boom stick or the finest tack driving weather proof deer slayer

Sometimes I just like shooting for fun
Minute of milk jug at 50 yards is still entertaining to me and sometimes I just like the challenge of using something weird

I avoid the guys at the range that are mesmerized by trendy stuff so for the most part the gun snobbery is minimal and usually you get a lot of people like minded that just want to play with their toys

but on the internet it runs rampid with the usual comments "that thing is junk" "I would never own that" or "that will never be a good choice in a fight"

sometimes I own a gun just to own it like the judge which gets its more than fair share of bashing

Dont get me wrong there are some things I take very seriously
I practice seriously to know how to handle my firearms
I take the safety rules very seriously and abide by them at all times
and I maintain my firearms with serious attention for safety and function
but am I the only one that thinks some people are just stuck in their ways and wont open their minds to the fun shooting is?

not every range trip has to be full out tactical training for the apocalypse sometimes it can just be popping cans with a 22
not every gun has to be JUST a weapon some of them can be plinkers or empty brass manufacturers
there are trillions of guns and combinations of configurations lets all loosen up a bit and have fun again and remember to each his own

If you enjoyed reading about "Set in their ways" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
slicksleeve
July 8, 2011, 01:31 PM
Thank the Good Lord I was born a country boy. I can shoot in the back yard anytime, with any gun I choose, and never have to go to a range.

pockets
July 8, 2011, 01:36 PM
I'm right there with ya Dimis!

Vonderek
July 8, 2011, 01:38 PM
You spend way too much time worrying about what you think other people are thinking or saying. Why care? Your choices are no one else's business.

USAF_Vet
July 8, 2011, 01:39 PM
I practice seriously to know how to handle my firearms
I take the safety rules very seriously and abide by them at all times
and I maintain my firearms with serious attention for safety and function

This is all that matters. Who cares what someone else thinks about your choice of fire arms?

Next time some gun snob at the range talks down to you about your guns, reply with something like "well, give me $2000 so I can go out and buy a gun you approve of. Otherwise, pound sand."

I love my Hi Points and Mil surps, I don't own a gun worth more than $200, and I like shooting milk jugs full of jell-o (and yeah, I clean up my messes). If some jerk wants to get himself so worked up and have a coronary over my guns, let him.

22-rimfire
July 8, 2011, 01:41 PM
Sometimes I just like shooting for fun. Minute of milk jug at 50 yards is still entertaining to me and sometimes I just like the challenge of using something weird.

Me too. I chuckle at the people that simply think in terms of tactical use of firearms and practice that way versus just having fun. But, there is a place in this world for everything and you need to be flexible.

I recall voicing my opinion to a worker bee about a 380 High Point. I said they are just about the cheapest new gun available that you might use for self defense. But if you read the forums, many or most function just fine. This particular worker bee scratched his head when I proudly showed my a $500+ 22 revolver to him. You would spend that much money on a 22? This attitude is pretty entrenched.

I mostly recommend what I consider to be "good guns" and ones I have experience with.

I say, shoot and have fun.

Nushif
July 8, 2011, 01:43 PM
I love guns... all kinds of guns...

Says it all right there. And I am willing to bet that there's a lot more like us out there than it seems.

KodiakBeer
July 8, 2011, 01:46 PM
Anybody who thinks a Destroyer carbine isn't cool, is an idiot!

Johnny_Come_Lately
July 8, 2011, 01:48 PM
You spend way too much time worrying about what you think other people are thinking or saying. Why care? Your choices are no one else's business.

'nuff said!!!

Mike J
July 8, 2011, 01:52 PM
Someone wiser than myself once told me, "other peoples opinion of me is none of my business".

Twmaster
July 8, 2011, 01:53 PM
I ignore the 'gun snobs' and the 'Tactifools'. When they pay my rent and fill my fridge I'll be happy to shoot what they approve of. Period.

The funniest part of all this is most of these desk chair experts have never held let alone shot the guns they look down their noses at.

I bought one pistol that cost me $400. The remainder of my guns (4 others) combined cost me less than that one pistol.

My latest buy is a first generation Hi-Point 9MM Carbine. Cost me $125. It shoots great.

I'm with the poster that suggested to just tell those snobs to go#sand.

There are far more important things to get one's shorts in a knot over these days than what somebody else is shooting.

MtnCreek
July 8, 2011, 02:08 PM
Iíve heard from a reliable source that Marine Force Recon Delta Seal Squad 17 uses Mosin sniper rifles. Those guys are True operators!

Dimis
July 8, 2011, 02:09 PM

nah not really just kind of food for thought is all lol

steelbird
July 8, 2011, 02:16 PM
It's the "gun snobs" who really don't know what they're doing, and who think that their equipment outweighs their stupidity/irresponsibility/lack of skill/lack of courtesy to be concerned about. Always a good idea to be several lanes ( or miles ) away from them, whenever possible.

highlander 5
July 8, 2011, 02:19 PM
I would always get "grief" from my buddies at the range as I am a lover of single shot rifles as in Shiloh Sharps,Browning 1885 and Ruger No1s. A few years ago I joined the 21 st century and have acquired a few ARs 22 RF,223 and 300 AAC and don't get as much ribbing,but when I show up with my Sharps all the "tacticool" guys line up to take turns shooting it.

armoredman
July 8, 2011, 02:22 PM
I would love to try a Destroyer carbine, sounds like fun.

MJ_ATL
July 8, 2011, 02:32 PM
I look at it this way... if you ask for my opinion about a gun you're considering, I'll give it to you. I'm not going to bash your choice unless you ask for an honest opinion. The only thing I'm concerned about at the range is whether or not you're a danger to me or others. Now if you have something cool even if its "crap"... I'm going to want to look at it.

BTW, what's wrong with the Defender? I'd wanna play with it...

Johnny_Come_Lately
July 8, 2011, 03:11 PM
@highlander 5

You are a bit far away, but if you ever want to come my way with some of your "pre-historic" firearms, I'll gladly buy the ammo that WE can both shoot in them.

kimbershot
July 8, 2011, 03:15 PM
smoke em if ya got em. :uhoh:

dagger dog
July 8, 2011, 05:37 PM
War has always influenced firearms design. The firearms manufactuers produce and sell what the public wants.

There are more shooters today than ever, and these shooters are influenced by what they see in the media, in print ,video,or cyber.What they see the most of are military or para military firearms.

I will go out on a limb, and say that most shooters between the ages of 18-35, that are not military, law enforcement or competitive shooters are what drives a substantial portion of the firearms market.There are exceptions.

If it's black or digital cammo, high capacity, large caliber, or has the word sniper,ranger delta,or seal in the description it will sell to that market.

If it's not readily recognized , small caliber,lots of wood, blue steel, and single action or double barreled, it can look cheap or repulsive to this crowd.

Murphy4570
July 8, 2011, 06:29 PM
I would always get "grief" from my buddies at the range as I am a lover of single shot rifles as in Shiloh Sharps,Browning 1885 and Ruger No1s. A few years ago I joined the 21 st century and have acquired a few ARs 22 RF,223 and 300 AAC and don't get as much ribbing,but when I show up with my Sharps all the "tacticool" guys line up to take turns shooting it.

I thought the Sharps had a 3 round magazine in the buttstock, reloaded from the buttplate? Not auto-loading, but close enough.

As for snobs, you find them in every aspect of society. They are everywhere. I don't pay them much mind.

Dimis
July 8, 2011, 06:35 PM
absolutly nothing wrong with the destroyer its a very fun gun to shoot
soft like a 22 for recoil accurate out as far as I have ever shot it (about 100 yards +/-) and chews through my suprlus off amo just as good as any other rifle I own lol

Armoredman and MJ Id love to bring it out to shoot Georgia and Arizona are way better gun states anyway lol

+1 steelbird

MJ I have a few guns I know are nothing more than toys like a raven arms and a reck P8 .25 they are in well working order and no signs of fatigue so dangerous? no crap? well... yeah for the most part lol
but im also realistic and dedicate those types of guns as bullet pullers only

Highlander I would be in the line for the sharps and the 1885 no doubt and the ruger #1 international is STILL on my list lol

Contrarian
July 8, 2011, 06:37 PM
Opinions are like belly buttons - everybody has one. Most of my shootin' stuff is not of US or Allied origin...Warsaw pact kinda thing.

'They' don't like it? Tough beans. I suspect that they didn't hurt your feelings.

Obsidian
July 8, 2011, 06:40 PM
I'm inclined to agree with the responses so far. As was stated a significant amount of the firearms sold to the back yard operators are just that. And they for whatever reason have never served in law enforcement or the Military. I've done the Military stint. And I have a mix of firearms. I have a loaded up AR 15 Carbine. Similar to what I carried in fact. But that I don't take out often. I take my simple free floated AR 15 out more to get load work done. And my traditional bolt action hunting rifles, or lever action rifles. I have a loaded up Sig for home defense, but I'm plinking with a .22 most often for pistols. Rifles as well.

I've shot those carbines you mention and don't understand the nose turning ups about them. They are fine, fun functional weapons. You have what you choose to. That is the great thing about this. All the back yard operators and you get a choice. Military seldom does. And that is what it is about. Someone gives you grief they can pound sand. You just focus on your target and ignore their looks. Enjoy :)

Deltaboy
July 8, 2011, 06:46 PM
I just ignore them. I shoot guns that can get me something to eat the most and I have 3 tools for self defense a Charter 38, Sigma 40 and my old 870 with a Choalt 10 shot extender tube and a 25 round ranger ammo sling.

ball3006
July 8, 2011, 07:26 PM
4-5 years ago I was the only milsurp shooter at my club. Lots of guys looked down their noses at my old military junk. Once I started out shooting their 1000+ buck rifles they started to take notice. Now, there is always a few milsurps at the range. When I was a kid, in the 50s, my dad forbid me to buy a Springfield or Enfield at the army/navy stores where they had 55 gallon barrels of them for 15 bucks apiece. It took me 50 years and 400 bucks to get one from the CMP. I have never looked back.....chris3

Hardtarget
July 9, 2011, 12:41 AM
After reading several posts I remembered a hunting trip of several years ago. Out for rabbit. The guys were pulling out their slick semi auto guns. A 12 ga. this...a 20 ga. something...all new and pretty! When they spotted my Savage .22/410 ...well, the looks told it all. One was "vocal" and snickered pretty good.

I've taken more rabbit with that gun than I could load on my F-150 so I just let it roll off my back. Wish I could say I was the only one to limit but it was a lousey day. We saw one rabbit! The good part? I got the only shot. :neener:

Problem was he got in a ground hog hole...so he got away! :D

All that to say...DON'T let the snobs bother you! Enjoy yourself and your guns! Shoot what YOU want and like and keep grining!

Mark

Ignition Override
July 9, 2011, 02:51 AM
Dimis:

Many of us in this area belong to a private club.
The guys there are always polite, and most would never bring a MN or SKS etc, but I've seen a bit of everything there, though most of my shooting is at a river.

The limited times that such rifle types were taken attracted no attention at all.
People who have character are not bothered by things which do not interest them, whether they look like accurate guns, or not.

They are the same way at my brother's club range just outside Evansville, IN.

People who only offer dirty looks for normal behavior, must have very delicate egos, and are only there to impress people.

Old krow
July 9, 2011, 10:59 PM
nah not really just kind of food for thought is all

I don't give that thought much food. It can starve for all I care. :D

Dimis
July 10, 2011, 10:25 AM
I don't give that thought much food. It can starve for all I care.

HAHA now thats an awesome quote

July 10, 2011, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Vonderek:

Exactly!

Kliegl
July 10, 2011, 12:59 PM
I find it helps to shoot a variety of guns at a range session. I shoot at two ranges, one of them north of Evansville in a wildlife area, and some dude was touting how awesome his 357 was and how I should put down the nines I was shooting and get one.

So I finished with the 9s and pulled out the 44 mag. Yeah, he shut up.

Onward Allusion
July 10, 2011, 01:14 PM
You have snobs and ninjas from all walks of life at the range. On this forum alone, we have some of our most heated "discussions" whenever the subject of Hi-Point, Taurus, or Glock comes up. Personally, I could care less how much a gun costs as long as it is functional and reliable. I'm more in the middle and enjoy my guns first and then go toward the training/practice spectrum.

EddieNFL
July 10, 2011, 01:16 PM
"Mine is always better than your's."

Firearms, automobiles, TVs, reloading machines, knives, computers, branch of service, religion, political party, shooting club, internet posts...

N003k
July 10, 2011, 03:04 PM
My last trip to the range included everything from a M44 Carbine, to an MSAR STG-556. I didn't much care what people thought of anything I was shooting.

In fact, the only time I've really cared at all what other people thought of what I was shooting, was last time I had my CETME out at a busy public range, and then only because I know for a fact the muzzle blast seems to make people uncomfortable shooting next to it...probably due to the CT legal muzzle break as opposed to the standard flash hider.

RimfireChris
July 10, 2011, 03:18 PM
I get odd looks all the time. For all the trash talking about the Judge, every time I bring it some place to shoot it, everybody wants a turn. To heck with the critics.

CapnMac
July 10, 2011, 03:35 PM
As for snobs, you find them in every aspect of society. They are everywhere. I don't pay them much mind.

This.
Met them in boating, ballooning, re-enacting, cooking, about every avocation imaginable. Just have to nod and smile and store away the well-earned retorts until you get home and can share them with us <G>

kentucky bucky
July 10, 2011, 04:13 PM
You should see the looks I get when I take one of my flintlock longrifles to a range. You would think I'm shooting a zip gun made out of plumbing supplies the way some look at me. There is always a few that appreciate the beauty of a well built muzzleloader with a curly maple stock, but most act like I MUST be jealous of their black rifle or their .338 uber-ultra mag war eagle 3000.

medalguy
July 10, 2011, 06:42 PM
If it's not readily recognized , small caliber,lots of wood, blue steel, and single action or double barreled, it can look cheap or repulsive to this crowd.

Great, less competition for the stuff I happen to like.

I remember way back (in the olden days my kids remind me) when I went deer hunting and I was about 19 or 20. I was invited by a friend, and I didn't have much money and certainly not a fine hunting rifle, so I took what I had, an M1 Garand. Well first evening after arrival I was pretty well derided about my choice in rifles, and everyone pretty much doubted I could take a deer at the west Texas distances they shot at.

Long story short version, only one deer was taken the next day which was opening day, a nice 8 point buck at about 180 yards, yep, my Garand. So don't worry about what others think. As long as you're comfortable with them, have fun. Life is too short to worry about inconsequential things.

Oh one other thought, do you think those other guys at the range can outshoot you with your "junk" guns? Nothing better than to show them up. That's the best kind of satisfaction.

TCU
July 11, 2011, 04:27 AM
So yes i can kind of agree, however i think affordability is the main deciding factor. If i can afford a certain brand then i will absolutly buy that firearm. However when i am at the range i will never knock on a dude for shooting a cheaper firearm unless he initiates the conversation for self confidence as most younger guys seem to do. So thinking about the tactical weapons, those are my favorite, almost my whole collection is from a tactical standpoint. However i am in the USMC and that is just what i am in to. But i agree with you guys about how the games like call of duty influence their minds. The perception is that if you own one, people will hold you to a higher level, IMO. Usually they are the ones acting like idiots anyway.

Dimis
July 11, 2011, 06:02 PM
TCU
thank you for your service.

definitely not knocking tactical arms in any way I own a bunch of those as well

like i said earlier I love all kinds of guns tactical cowboy blackpowder mil-surp hunting long range precision mil-spec non mil-spec cheap expensive small large caliber millimeter gauge bore cylinders slides actions wood bluing stainless steel chrome polymer custom stock home smithed GUNS!!!! Grrrr-oh-oh-oh... (sorry went a little tim allen there)

Im just glad that im not the only one lol

cj7ox
July 13, 2011, 04:39 PM
So yes i can kind of agree, however i think affordability is the main deciding factor. If i can afford a certain brand then i will absolutly buy that firearm. However when i am at the range i will never knock on a dude for shooting a cheaper firearm unless he initiates the conversation for self confidence as most younger guys seem to do. So thinking about the tactical weapons, those are my favorite, almost my whole collection is from a tactical standpoint. However i am in the USMC and that is just what i am in to. But i agree with you guys about how the games like call of duty influence their minds. The perception is that if you own one, people will hold you to a higher level, IMO. Usually they are the ones acting like idiots anyway.
As a fellow serviceman (Army), I too am in to tactical arms. I also have a couple of 50 year old .22s that, and a couple sporterized "milsurp" arms. It's funny how the "call of duty" crowd seems to base their ideas of the capability of various fire arms on their effectiveness in the video game. LOL! I like shooting, and firearms. Period. I've never looked down on anyone for what they're shooting. I've taken issue with unsafe shooters, however!

19&41
July 13, 2011, 05:47 PM
I always try to follow the golden rule when meeting others at the range or gun show, whatever firearm they happen to have. I know in many cases they have what they can afford. I can still remember when people offered encouraging words and advice on the firearms and ammo I started out with. It costs nothing. I try to pass along the same treatment to those starting out. If what they have is junk, they will know it first, and they will not need it rubbed in. To be exclusive, someone has to be excluded. That shouldn't be, we should not throw away those who want to join us.

If you enjoyed reading about "Set in their ways" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!