US to Alaska w/arms??

PDA

July 10, 2011, 06:00 PM
Two oldest sons are headed to Alaska and both have sporting arms +. What is the proper way to get them through Canada?

If you enjoyed reading about "US to Alaska w/arms??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sam1911
July 10, 2011, 06:08 PM
Here's a thread on that question: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=596806&highlight

Here's another: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=7291783

Good luck!

Apex29
July 10, 2011, 06:09 PM
US to Alaska?

What, we gave Alaska back to the Ruskies?

351 WINCHESTER
July 10, 2011, 06:20 PM
Don't forget to register your firearms with U.S. Customs before you leave the U.S. CBP form 4457. The 4457 will serve as your entry when you return. Make copies in case you loose the original, otherwise you will have problems even if they are American made.

Cosmoline
July 10, 2011, 06:24 PM
Ditto what 351 said. And remember you need to swing by my office to change out your US currency to Alaskan Rubles. I charge a very reasonable rate.

Gaffer
July 10, 2011, 07:12 PM
When I went to Alaska the one thing that the border people we cautious about was that the shotgun had a plain wood stock. No military or folding stocks.

KodiakBeer
July 10, 2011, 07:13 PM
The Alaskan Ruble is tied to the state baleen holdings at Fort Kotzebue, so it's a good investment for anyone in these tough economic times. If anyone wants to trade dollars for AR's (Alaskan Rubles), you can contact me directly. Then, when you want to buy dollars back, contact Cosmoline.

Ohio Gun Guy
July 10, 2011, 07:20 PM
Geez guys.... We all knew what he meant. Lower 48 to Alaska may have been better???

Try driving to Hawaii with your guns, I'll never do that again! ;)

jdh
July 10, 2011, 07:33 PM
Avoid Canada, take the ferry.

Hocka Louis
July 10, 2011, 09:43 PM
I'd fly over the place! But beware US Lower-48 cops.

Fly out of a big city and they are trying to find something to arrest you for. Drive back in and they'll act like morons if you have even a black-powder gun -- freaking out as though you just took a shot at them with it when you tell them or they find it.

rellascout
July 10, 2011, 09:48 PM
Ship them to someone there like an FFL or the guide shop you are using. Do not drive with them....

jgiehl
July 11, 2011, 04:48 AM
Where are they headed to?

Sam1911
July 11, 2011, 08:18 AM
Ship them to someone there like an FFL or the guide shop you are using. Do not drive with them....

If there are handguns involved, an FFL cannot transfer them back to your sons while in AK.

The simplest LEGAL thing to do would be to ship them to themselves in care of whomever they'll be staying/hunting with. When the package arrives, no one may open it except your sons when they get there.

Or fly and take them along.

Fly out of a big city and they are trying to find something to arrest you for.What? You don't fly with guns very often, do you? It's seriously NO ... BIG ... DEAL. There are maybe three major cities/airport (NY, Chicago, NJ) where trouble has occasionally happened, though not very often, and generally under unusual circumstances. Flying out of or into most US cities is such a non-issue as to be not worth mentioning.

Cryogaijin
July 11, 2011, 09:02 AM
Fly with 'em, or ship 'em to yourself++

Sunray
July 11, 2011, 10:55 AM
Option 1 here. Even though they're just passing through, they must follow our laws. No CCW whatsoever.
http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/visit-visite-eng.htm

KodiakBeer
July 11, 2011, 03:13 PM
So, no takers...?

http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac164/kodiakbeer/RublePlay.jpg

Shadow 7D
July 11, 2011, 04:32 PM
Hey Kodiak, is a Copyrighed image, or can I make up a back to that and go hawk them to tourist at the weekend market downtown. Would be a HOOT in the lower 48, um can you make change for this?

As for gun, no HANDGUN though Canada, others will require paperwork. Check the above links they have most of them.

KodiakBeer
July 11, 2011, 05:55 PM
I just made this myself, so no copyright. Help yourself.

FROGO207
July 11, 2011, 06:24 PM
What, not Sarah P's smile on there??:D

NavyLCDR
July 11, 2011, 07:12 PM
You have to hold the real deal up to the light and Sarah appears in the frame below the 5,000. I really wish she was elected President.

Hocka Louis
July 11, 2011, 10:01 PM
President? I just want her to start making movies. Ones with really bad music...

Flying is the best route and NOT a big deal -- just be very early (transiting a major metropolitan city where I was actually LICENSED and they still took an hour and a half to let me thru on top of regular security). It is a game. And then someone tried to break into my gun safe behind the scenes and steal my pistol last time.

KodiakBeer
July 12, 2011, 05:28 AM
Look closer, that's Sarah standing in the middle.

84B20
July 12, 2011, 02:49 PM
Hey Kodiak, is a Copyrighed image, or can I make up a back to that and go hawk them to tourist at the weekend market downtown. Would be a HOOT in the lower 48, um can you make change for this?

As for gun, no HANDGUN though Canada, others will require paperwork. Check the above links they have most of them.

Not true. You can bring handguns through Canada if they are not on their restricted list. I have been planning a trip to Alaska and called the RCMP to verify that the two handguns I want to take are approved, my Ruger Redhawk and my 1911. For more info call the RCMP at 800-731-4000 and if they are entering Canada through British Columbia you need to get their approval, just enter extension 9512.

NavyLCDR
July 12, 2011, 03:15 PM
Not true. You can bring handguns through Canada if they are not on their restricted list. I have been planning a trip to Alaska and called the RCMP to verify that the two handguns I want to take are approved, my Ruger Redhawk and my 1911. For more info call the RCMP at 800-731-4000 and if they are entering Canada through British Columbia you need to get their approval, just enter extension 9512.

Ummm..... no.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/rp-eng.htm

Definition of a Restricted Firearm
According to the Criminal Code, a restricted firearm is:

a handgun that is not a prohibited firearm;
a semi-automatic, centre-fire rifle or shotgun with a barrel length less than 470 mm (18.5 inches) that is not prohibited;
a rifle or shotgun that can fire when its overall length is reduced by folding, telescoping or some other means to less than 660 mm (26 inches);
any firearm prescribed as restricted (including some long guns).

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-98-206/page-1.html

and

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/F-11.6/page-10.html#h-16

Shadow 7D
July 12, 2011, 04:49 PM
Hey, Navy, I'm all for taking gun through Canada, just don't expect to get them back...
Knew a guy who lost his entire FAMILY collection of firearms and was basically told by the judge to leave Canada and not come back (since he would be a wanted fugitive...)

So, he had fun, on his Security checks explaining to the Army investigators why he was a 'wanted gun runner' in Canada... Those No Serial Number Shotguns and BP pistols, yeah...

Anywho 84, good luck with smuggling.

KodiakBeer
July 12, 2011, 05:04 PM
jdh mentioned it in post #9, but the smart solution is to put your guns in your car, and put your car on the ferry in Bellingham and drive them off in Whittier, Alaska.

The cruise up the inside passage is breathtaking and with the price of gas this year, hotels, etc, the price is competitive with driving.

http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/index.shtml

Steve H
July 12, 2011, 05:10 PM
Avoid Canada, take the ferry.

Have you check the price of the ferry lately?????? NOT cheap. I have a buddy that is in Alaska right now. He was thinking about taking the ferry back until he was told the price. $6000 for him, his wife, pick up & 5th wheel.

KodiakBeer
July 12, 2011, 05:56 PM
I just checked, and from Bellingham to Whittier the vehicle fares start at $1,247. A cabin (sleeps up to 4) is about $800. You don't have to rent a cabin, you can rough it with sleeping bags in one of the areas set aside for this - it's just like camping, but with flush toilets and hot showers down the hall. The driver rides for free most of the year. Kids under six are free. Kids 6 to 12 are half fare.

So, anyway, with the price of gas and hotels (not to mention the convenience of avoiding the nutty Canadian border cops), it's well worth looking at.

84B20
July 12, 2011, 06:57 PM
Ummm..... no.

Ummm.....no, yourself. I'm talking about transporting a handgun through Canada, not bringing it into and staying in the country. If you call the number I posted and say you are just passing through they will tell you what firearms can be transported and the woman I talked to this morning said my Ruger Redhawk and my 1911 can be brought through, although it also depends on the territory you go through. The extension I posted is for BC and I didn't leave a message as requested for a call back so I don't know for sure that they will allow them. I did check a few months ago and am under the impression they would allow my guns, again as a pass through only.

NavyLCDR
July 12, 2011, 08:24 PM
Ummm.....no, yourself. I'm talking about transporting a handgun through Canada, not bringing it into and staying in the country. If you call the number I posted and say you are just passing through they will tell you what firearms can be transported and the woman I talked to this morning said my Ruger Redhawk and my 1911 can be brought through, although it also depends on the territory you go through. The extension I posted is for BC and I didn't leave a message as requested for a call back so I don't know for sure that they will allow them. I did check a few months ago and am under the impression they would allow my guns, again as a pass through only.

Let me try to break it down for you so maybe others can understand it, if you can't.

According to Canadian law, which overrides and supercedes any territorial laws, your 1911 and Ruger Redhawk are RESTRICTED FIREARMS according to Canadian Criminal Code (R.S.C., 1985, c. C-46):
http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/C-46/FullText.html#h-38

“restricted firearm” means

(a) a handgun that is not a prohibited firearm,

In order to transport you "restricted firearms" through Canada you must first obtain authorization to transport from the chief firearms officer according to the Canadian Firearms Act:
Firearms Act (S.C. 1995, c. 39):
http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/F-11.6/FullText.html
17. Subject to sections 19 and 20, a prohibited firearm or restricted firearm, the holder of the registration certificate for which is an individual, may be possessed only at the dwelling-house of the individual, as recorded in the Canadian Firearms Registry, or at a place authorized by a chief firearms officer.
19. (3) A non-resident may be authorized to transport a particular restricted firearm between specified places in accordance with sections 35 and 35.1.

Then, at the border you must declare your "restricted firearms" including presenting to customs your "authority to transport" that you previously obtained:
http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/F-11.6/FullText.html
35. (1) A non-resident who does not hold a licence may import a firearm that is not a prohibited firearm if, at the time of the importation,

(a) the non-resident

(i) is eighteen years old or older,

(ii) declares the firearm to a customs officer in the prescribed manner and, in the case of a declaration in writing, completes the prescribed form containing the prescribed information, and

(iii) in the case of a restricted firearm, produces an authorization to transport the restricted firearm; and

(b) a customs officer confirms in the prescribed manner the declaration referred to in subparagraph (a)(ii) and the authorization to transport referred to in subparagraph (a)(iii).

Non-compliance

(2) Where a firearm is declared at a customs office to a customs officer but the requirements of subparagraphs (1)(a)(ii) and (iii) are not complied with, the customs officer may authorize the firearm to be exported from that customs office or may detain the firearm and give the non-resident a reasonable time to comply with those requirements.

Disposal of firearm

(3) Where those requirements are not complied with within a reasonable time and the firearm is not exported, the firearm shall be disposed of in the prescribed manner.

When you exit Canada on the other side you must comply with this:
37. (1) A non-resident who does not hold a licence may export a firearm that is not a prohibited firearm and that was imported by the non-resident in accordance with section 35 if, at the time of the exportation,

(a) the non-resident

(i) declares the firearm to a customs officer, and

(ii) produces to a customs officer in the prescribed manner the declaration and, where applicable, the authorization to transport that were confirmed in accordance with that section; and

(b) a customs officer confirms the declaration referred to in subparagraph (a)(i) in the prescribed manner.

Non-compliance

(2) Where a firearm is declared to a customs officer but the requirements of subparagraph (1)(a)(ii) are not complied with, the customs officer may detain the firearm and, with the approval of a chief firearms officer, give the non-resident a reasonable time to comply with those requirements.

Disposal of firearm

(3) Where those requirements are not complied with within a reasonable time, the firearm shall be disposed of in the prescribed manner.

So, 84B20, when you get to the Canadian border, I hope you have the lady's name that you talked to on the phone, because if you don't have the "authorization to transport" from the chief firearms officer, at the very least they are going to tell you to leave your "restricted firearms" on the US side of the border.

It's up to you though.

84B20
July 12, 2011, 08:36 PM
Let me try to break it down for you so maybe others can understand it, if you can't.

You obviously are not understanding what I'm saying. I never said you could just bring a firearm that is on the restricted list without first obtaining the written permit and paying the fee, small as it is. Please do not presume that I don't know what I'm talking about. The two firearms I plan on taking are approved with the written permit, they are restricted not forbidden.

Sheepdog1968
July 12, 2011, 08:43 PM
I just made this myself, so no copyright. Help yourself.
Given your run in with a brown bear, I'm surpirsed there isn't a skiined brown bear somewhere on the note.

NavyLCDR
July 12, 2011, 08:56 PM
You obviously are not understanding what I'm saying. I never said you could just bring a firearm that is on the restricted list without first obtaining the written permit and paying the fee, small as it is. Please do not presume that I don't know what I'm talking about. The two firearms I plan on taking are approved with the written permit, they are restricted not forbidden.

Than that is what you should have originally posted instead of this in post #23:

Since you used the term "not on their restricted list", one could assume that you meant your two handguns were not "restricted firearms".

84B20
July 12, 2011, 10:04 PM
Than that is what you should have originally posted instead of this in post #23:

Since you used the term "not on their restricted list", one could assume that you meant your two handguns were not "restricted firearms".

I guess I could have been more explicit. Sorry for the confusion, at least we got it clarified. This is what happens when Army and Navy correspond. :D

NavyLCDR
July 12, 2011, 11:02 PM
I apologize for the misunderstanding on my part.

84B20
July 12, 2011, 11:06 PM
I apologize for the misunderstanding on my part.

No apology necessary.

KodiakBeer
July 12, 2011, 11:58 PM
I'd like to apologize also.

84B20
July 13, 2011, 12:02 AM
I'd like to apologize also.

And so you should. :neener:

I hope this isn't going to be some kind of love fest. :barf:

Killermonkey21
July 13, 2011, 03:14 AM
Just fly them or ship them. I took a plastic tote *literally* full of firearms when I moved from Fort Lewis, WA to Anchorage, AK. Seriously. I had 2 bolt action rifles, 1 AK, a 10/22, a revolver, and 3 semi autos. I got there a bit early, declared them, and let TSA swab my guns and then I locked them. Picked em up on the other side. They DID cut two of my locks to "inspect" my totes that had ammo in them, but otherwise it was fine.

Flew from SEA-TAC to Anchorage, AK on June 26, and except for the incompetent TSA guards, no biggie. Oh, and we had a 17 pound cat with us too. All good.

Sam1911
July 13, 2011, 03:43 AM
Good to see gentlemen reach an accord and step back from an argument. Wish misunderstandings would all resolve themselves so pleasantly.

Shadow 7D
July 13, 2011, 05:10 AM
Yeah, it's pretty important to make sure your ducks are in a row when crossing the boarder. I lost my issued Benchmade cause the Canadian Board Guard knew what it was and what I was.

Like I said, good friend of mine lost all his firearms, including those passed down to him from his grandpa and great grandpa.

SeekHer
July 13, 2011, 06:45 AM
Guys come up all the time to participate in handgun matches but they are coming for a specific event and have all their paperwork in order before getting to the border or Canadian aeroport.

They just pay their import fee at the border and leave.

Please note, that authority to transport is a one time affair...If you go to Alaska and come back via Canada you require a separate authorization for that new event and it can be done up at the same time as the original if you know your dates.

If you enjoyed reading about "US to Alaska w/arms??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!