Anybody else cheap (broke)? Share your tips

PDA

rocinante
July 11, 2011, 11:19 AM
I use luggage straps from bags bought for 3 bucks at thrift stores as 2 point rifle slings. They have quick detach hooks, tough nylon and to me don't look or perform different than what sells for 30 bucks or more "real" rifle slings.

In general I have always looked for alternate items or items that are exactly equivalent but marketed for different purposes. For example a sump pump moves just as much water and runs as quiet but cost a third of a pump marketed for ornamental fish ponds.

Come on cheapos share your penny pinching wisdom.

If you enjoyed reading about "Anybody else cheap (broke)? Share your tips" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
M-Cameron
July 11, 2011, 12:08 PM
buy a big pad of easel board paper/ news print....(~$10)
buy a can of cheap spray paint...........................(~$1)
find a large piece of cardboard............................(free)

cut out silhouette (or whatever shape you want) on the cardboard......place cardboard over a piece of paper.....and spray away!.....

instant large silhouette targets for $0.20 a piece!

1 can of paint should last you approx 50 targets(depending on size and complexity)......which is conveniently how many pieced of paper are on the pad.

Joe Demko
July 11, 2011, 12:16 PM
The cheapest paper plates you can find and one of those big ink-dauber thingies for marking bingo cards = really, really cheap pistol targets.

Mike J
July 11, 2011, 12:19 PM
The cheapest paper plates you can find and one of those big ink-dauber thingies for marking bingo cards = really, really cheap pistol targets.

I usually use the paper plates or copy paper but I splurge & put orange sticky dots on them. Maybe I need to look for an ink stamp & pad.

22-rimfire
July 11, 2011, 12:20 PM
Shoot 22 rimfires, and roll your own for centerfire calibers.

I save large sized pieces of cardboard for making targets. It's good to have a template.

Buy ammunition a little at a time (dollar cost averaging), or buy it by the case for calibers you shoot a lot. In my case, that means mostly 22LR by the case. But the target stuff really gets expensive by the case.

Rail Driver
July 11, 2011, 12:22 PM
I use the strap from my laptop bag for a single point sling (ie both ends clipped to the sling plate) on my draco. I use Mobil 1 PAO based (10w30 or heavier) full synthetic heavy weight motor oil to lube my rifles. I find a way to cut corners a lot as my shooting budget is around $15 a week or so if I'm lucky. I need to build a reloading setup on the cheap...

harrygunner
July 11, 2011, 02:49 PM
I like to keep a spare magazine in a sheath in my weak-side back pocket.

Many moons ago, in a novelty shop on a touristy pier, I noticed many leather knife sheaths fit 1911 and Sig magazines, yet were less than $10.

I used an X-acto knife to cut off the fold over cover and remove a portion of the leather on top/front that holds the snap.

I haven't tested this, but left intact, they could be a decent belt single-mag holder.

Deltaboy
July 11, 2011, 03:02 PM
Every time I buy new T-shirts and underwear, I save and wash my old T-shirts and underwear and cut them into cleaning patchs. I buy Army Bore Cleaner from Mil surpus stores or I make Ed's Red gun cleaner in my barn.

4v50 Gary
July 11, 2011, 03:06 PM
Like Deltaboy, my old undergarments get cut into gun rags and patches.

To store the round lead balls that I cast, I use those clear plastic water bottles. Works very good and they're tough.

Deltaboy
July 11, 2011, 03:08 PM
I have friends give me cut or damaged golf balls that I use for targets or I have made Bolos for some kids.

JohnBT
July 11, 2011, 03:18 PM
"buy a big pad of easel board paper"

I save the used ones from work. They're blank on one side.

I've been known to save the used paper plates too if they weren't too dirty and stained.

I shoot at the targets other people leave. Most of them don't have very many holes in them.

Yeah, I'm cheap.

"I use the strap from my laptop bag for a single point sling"

OMG, why didn't I think of that. We have all sorts of useless bags and cases at the office.

wildblue45
July 11, 2011, 03:51 PM
Does anyone have a diagram for a home made AR-15 barrel vise block. I would appreciate it. Thanks

Joe Demko
July 11, 2011, 03:52 PM
We have all sorts of useless bags and cases at the office.

Ditto. Plus I have a bunch that got accumulated at conventions and such. I've never recycled the straps as weapons slings, but the bags and cases are useful for hauling stuff to and from the range. One of my main range bags is the carrying case for a circa-1988 Mac. It's padded, has sturdy zippers and internal pockets, and perfectly holds a stack of hard pistol cases. Other, more flimsy bags inevitably end up tearing or splitting a zipper...but they're free and there is always another one somebody wants to give me as an advertising premium.
Home Depot, Trader Horn, and other places that carry handyman stuff are full of things that are useful to shooters. Check out the gloves and belts, for example. They're much cheaper when sold as work gloves than as shooting gloves. I have a metal briefcase-style toolbox from Home Depot for which I paid about $25. The exact same case is sold at gun shows in this area as a "range box" for anywhere from two to three times as much.
Reactive, shattering targets are enormously fun. Littering the landscape with junk isn't. Instead of blowing up old electronics and crapping glass, plastic, and toxic metals all over the range, make some ice. Cardboard 1/2 gallon milk cartons are the perfect size. Fill some with water, a little food dye if you like, and freeze. Take a cooler full of them to the range. Peel off the carton and you have a nice colorful block of ice that will shatter in the most gratifying manner when hit by something with a little oomph. I love busting them with an AK or my PSL. For reactive fun with a .22, cheap ginger snap cookies (or animal crackers if you're really good) bust nicely and don't linger. Produce can be fun too, but some clubs frown on it as the residue draws insects, especially from sugary things like watermelons.

Eaglestroker
July 11, 2011, 04:27 PM
I learned to work leather, single most expensive part after the purchase is either a holster or sling. Cool to make cheek pads too.

Panzercat
July 11, 2011, 05:20 PM
The paintball industry is a godsend to penny pinching firearms enthusiasts. Anything you want in terms of gear probably has a paintball equivalent selling for 25-50% less than its real firearm counterpart. For example.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii110/ozzallos/IRL%20Pics/bag.jpg

The bag is a paintball bag. Has a full rifle section (carries my 336), a secondary smaller section for a smaller firearm or in this case, my range crap. The three front packs are fully detachable, one carries the pistol you see, the rest carry ammo. Comes with a generous amount of velcro and handhold, plus shoulder sling. For all intents and purposes this is a tac/go bag... A paintball tac/go bag. The holster is also marketed for paintball and carries my equally cheap Hi-Point 9mm. The Hi-point 9mm is a paintball-- No wait...

But seriously, paintball is your friend. ;D

Rail Driver
July 11, 2011, 05:23 PM
Oh, I forgot to mention, my laptop bag (which I use the strap from) also doubles as a case for my draco (fits nicely).

Nushif
July 11, 2011, 05:35 PM
Those 1 dollar "For Sale" signs and a ream of paper, alongside a sharpie and standard tape are excellent targets!

Fully customizable.

ny32182
July 11, 2011, 05:40 PM
The single best thing you can probably do long term to save money shooting is to reload. To actually SAVE money, and not just shoot more like most people do would require dicipline, but can be done (just not by me :D)

As mentioned, there is a lot of stuff marketed as shooting related gear that is WAY overpriced when compared to the same stuff marketed for different purposes; several good examples metioned here from slings to lube to targets.

Another thing I used to do was buy the packs of 25 rifle targets or whatever for $4.50 at Walmart... eventually I just got a stack of copy paper and pack of orange stickers for about the same price. Virtually endless rifle targets can be made with that stuff. Unfortunately there is probably not a good way to duplicate an IDPA target for cheap without a ready source of cardboard and some effort to cut it to shape.

M-Cameron
July 11, 2011, 05:41 PM
another on ive got....

got to just about any lawn-n-garden shop.....and buy a pack of tall bamboo poles(8-12 poles) for ~$2-5

then get some large cardboard sheets($ free)........and some duct tape......

tape a pole to either side of the cardboard sheet....

...and youve got half a dozen large target frames for practically pennies

FROGO207
July 11, 2011, 06:16 PM
I took an old piece of flat 2 inch Styrofoam of the appropriate size and marked it with the proper sized rings for a IDPA target. Then took a chisel and removed the areas that would not normally be black down aprox 1/4 inch deep. Next I got some goof latex paint from H-Depot and had them add black coloring to make it black. Add a really cheap short bristled roller/tray kit to use to roll the paint onto the high flat surfaces, turn the block over and press it onto cardboard that is scrounged and cut to size and presto--instant targets.:D Repeat as needed, let dry a few minutes and shoot em up.:cool: I prefer to use my old 10 and 12 inch pizza boxes for targets for free cardboard. The paint will not stick to the grease but will work on the outside of the boxes if the inside is bad. This is basically block printing at it's easiest.

CAR-AR
July 11, 2011, 07:25 PM
I used to make target stands out of the following:

(1) 3/4 conduit x 8 ft.

(2) 4 X 4 X 20 or so

(4) four cap screws and wing nuts

(1) dowel pin 3/4"

(2) large washers (bigger in diameter than dowels)

(1) 6 inch piece all thread

(1) nut for all thread

(1) wing nut for all thread

Go to a big box store to buy the conduit and get one of the employees to bend the conduit to a U shape 48 inches high and whatever is left over for the top rung

Drill 1 inch holes in the 4 X 4s about 4 inches from one end of the 4 X 4s.

These holes hold the target vertical.

Cut a piece of heavy duty cardboard to cover the conduit to about to a foot to the end

Drill four holes in the conduit. Punch holes through the cardboard through the conduit holes. Push the carriage bolts through the cardboard and secure with wing nuts on the back of the conduit.

Trim cardboard as necessary.

Drill a hole in the bottom of a dowel.

Thread the all thread into the bottom on the dowel till itís tight. Cut the all thread about ĺ inch.

Slip a large washer over the all thread and secure with a nut.

Flip the dowel over and install all thread on the top end ĺ inch.

Place a washer over the all thread and secure with a wing nut.

The way this works is during transport the dowel is run through 4 x 4s and the dowel is a handy carrying bar for the 4 X 4s. The target itself is fairly light.

When you want to set it up remove the wing nut from the dowel and place the conduit in the holes in the 4x4s. Place a target on the stand and its time for shooting.

Itís best to set the 4 X 4s to the back and carry the dowels back to the bench so they donít get shot. The conduit will last a long time if the conduit doesnít take a lot of hits.

scallop
July 11, 2011, 08:48 PM
"shepards hook" style planter hanger, $8 or so at wally world, some fishing line and a can or plastic bottle or whatever your lil heart desires makes for a fine suspended target hanger. Gets even more challenging after the first hit and your target is now swinging.

preachnhunt
July 11, 2011, 09:00 PM
I sank 2 t posts about a foot and a half apart and turned a feed sack upside down over it. This makes a great target. Just replace the sack when needed. 50 pound dog food bags work well too.

Rembrandt
July 11, 2011, 09:09 PM
As a tight penny pinching Dutchman, when it comes to guns and accessories, won't cut corners.....you generally get what you pay for. I prefer to cut expenses in other ways.....don't smoke, don't drink, don't play the lottery.

redneck2
July 11, 2011, 09:22 PM
Political signs. Next election cycle, pick up some of the signs that are still standing a few days after most of them have been picked up. Politicians sometimes re-use them in the later elections, but there are always a few that are missed and end up just creating litter.

Note that I said AFTER the election, and after the others are picked up. The wire frames are excellent for target hangers. Plus, you're cleaning up trash from the roadside.

And, I'd second the thing about reloading. I find scrap lead free. You can shoot pistol for less than 5 cents per round with cast bullets.

Dstoerm
July 11, 2011, 09:36 PM
DITTO Redneck 2... the politcal signs are perfect for target shooting. They can last a weekend if you dont let your 'marksmanship challenged' friends shoot at them (the wire frames are NO match for .223 and .308). If you see a sign that annoys you for a month, then after the election is over, grab it, then blast it.

il_10
July 11, 2011, 10:21 PM
For buying:

HAGGLE!
It's a lost art. Haggle for everything that you're not buying in a shop, and sometimes even then if the feeling's right. Also, keep your eye out for deals and bargains in places you wouldn't expect. Lots of people have guns, but many of them don't place the value that you or I would. I've found some nice collector-grade stuff for great prices from people who own guns, but only own them as shooters. Thus, if that Luger (or whatever) isn't getting shot, it may as well go away, and you end up with a real bargain.

Check the market trends. People are buying black rifles? Buy collectibles. People are buying collectibles? Sell your collectibles and buy some black rifles. Stay away from the current trend, and you can buy stuff on the cheap and even make money when the market turns.

Bang-for-buck. This takes research. Learn what's what, know what the price should be when you see it, and jump if the time is right. I've been kicking myself for not buying an Egyptian RPK for $300 two years ago. Sporterized mil-surps often shoot just as well as their collectible cousins. Cz82's reign supreme in handguns.

For gear:

I've found Tagua leather products to be wonderfully made holsters for a modest price.

Airsoft gear works great for tacti-cool applications where you don't need the heavy duty-ness of the real gear, and it's far cheaper.

For Maintenance:

"free" toothbrushes at the dentist? Great for cleaning hard to reach areas.

Motor oil makes great lube.

Hot water is close to free and evaporates from metal quickly; it's primarily a black powder trick, but it cleans up smokeless guns too and on the cheap.

Learn to do some basic gunsmithing: polishing, brazing, fabricating, bluing or parkerizing. You can take a class or two at the local community college for the price of some jack-leg gunsmith work at the local metal-butcher. That way you can save money, and if it's broke when you're done, you don't have to be mad at anyone but yourself. If it's better when you're done, you get to break it later trying to make it "perfect."

PzGren
July 12, 2011, 12:31 AM
I cut my IDPA/IPSC targets from paper bags, it's not only cheaper but easier to carry.

I got a few leather calendar covers with zippers at thrift stores for a dollar each. Taking the steel rings out and adding some padding will give you an unobtrusive pistol case.

Twmaster
July 12, 2011, 03:03 AM
I download the printable targets for pistols off the 'Net and print them on my laser printer.

I also buy old camcorder bags at yard sales for range bags. I bought a new camcorder bag for those old cameras that took VHS tapes and were like 20 pounds. It was $2 at a yard sale.

My cousin bought a range bag the same size from Academy. Not only did it look remarkably the same other than color. She paid $25!

I pick up any brass laying within reach of me at the indoor range. I keep what I shoot and trade or sell the remainder. Even .22LR can be sold as scrap.

And it's been said. Reload. With cast bullets bought 1000 at a time I end up paying about $5 for a box of 50 reloads for .380 and 9x19.

bikerdoc
July 12, 2011, 08:33 AM
Cell phone cases from Lowes @ 4.95 make great mag holders.

PzGren
July 12, 2011, 12:07 PM
TW Master wrote:
And it's been said. Reload. With cast bullets bought 1000 at a time I end up paying about $5 for a box of 50 reloads for .380 and 9x19.

Cast your own bullets and save even more...:D

7.62 Nato
July 12, 2011, 12:21 PM
Soft binocular cases = rifle mag pouches.
Pizza box = silhouette target or target backer.
Rolaids bottles= reusable bulk .22 ammo box.
Altoids or pellet tin for .22 ammo pocket carry.
Gatorade wide mouth bottle for bulk pistol ammo storage and transporting.
Insulated soft lunch "boxes" will help keep ammo cooler in a hot vehicle or on a hot range.

10X
July 12, 2011, 12:32 PM
I print targets from the net. Example Midway pistol targets. They cost very little for a bunch.

My target stands are copy paper boxes. You can put two targets side by side.
There is always a piece of wood or something at the range to weight down the box.

USAF_Vet
July 12, 2011, 01:34 PM
I'm another who prints off targets for next to no cost.

I'll shoot milk jugs and such, but not pop bottles since we have a $0.10 deposit for each one.

Empty carboard boxes with metal tent stakes to keep them secure in the ground. Can shoot 'em up good before they can't hold a target any longer.

Thrift store tupperware make good ammo storage containers. You can pick up assorted sizes for dirt cheap.

Old t-shirts make for good cleaning rags.

disposable shop towels make good cleaning patches. A roll goes for <$3 at Wal Mart, and one sheet will makes a LOT of patches.

Spent shotgun hulls make for good pistol plinking. So do golf balls, around here, especially late in the year, a bucket of balls at a yard sale can be had for a few dollars, bucket included.

I like the camera bag for range bags, and luggage straps for rifle slings.

Home made sand bags for bench rest: Fill ziplock freezer bags with sand/ dirt/ kitty litter (clean) and stuff in an old pillow case. Fold and stitch pillow case to desired size.

Plastic easter eggs filled with marking chalk powder makes for awesome reactive targets.

Panzercat
July 12, 2011, 01:52 PM
PHONEBOOKS. Every year they spam our complex with them and a lot of people will simply return stacks of yellowpages to the mailbox drop to be recycled. This year, I snagged four for myself to serve as wet ballistic medium ;)

jleyring
July 12, 2011, 02:14 PM
My father and i buy old military ammo cans to store bullets in. Great way to organize. they cost $2 and they hold hundreds of rounds. We never throw away old plastic containers (sour cream, cottage cheese, gallon ice cream) We use them for reloading. Easy place to store brass while you tumble, prime, and move the brass around.

robMaine
July 12, 2011, 09:54 PM
Where are you getting ammo cans for $2 a piece? The cheapest I see them is 10-12

MADDOG
July 13, 2011, 09:28 AM
Go to a grocery store that has a bakery and get their buckets that frosting comes in. They have 5, 3, and 2 gallon ones and don't forget the lids. Great for storing stuff in and they are stackable.

fatcat4620
July 13, 2011, 01:36 PM
For the guy who said don't smoke and don't drink- we are cheap but not animals! : ) Great ideas everyone. I get all the brass I can from the range. I make anything I can and always do my own gunsmithing. I also order all my mounts and rails from dealextreme.com

Bula
July 13, 2011, 02:17 PM
Dollar Store for cheap stackable storage bins. I cast for everything I shoot (except .223), get freindly with as many tire shops as you can. 100 lbs of finished lead ingots, after smelting and fluxing, for $25. 700,000 grains of lead will yeild lots of bullets. Keep an eye on the sale boards here, great deals to be had.

ErikO
July 13, 2011, 05:29 PM
My range bag is our former diaper bag for my son. We haven't used it in its intended purpose in over 5 years and it has several internal pockets, our last name is stitched to it and it has a great strap. Best of all, it was free at teh baby shower. lol

I got some old HP Laserjet printers that I use to print targets on. We just tape them over the freebie targets that we get at the range and shoot away. Toner is cheap for these, only $10 each and I have several that came with the pritners, too.

Also, picking up spent brass, decapping them and cleaning them up. I plan on selling off/trading the ones I wont' need to cover the cost of ammo/reloading supplies.

Finally, Aldi's had a special on small plastic parts bins. A whole bunch of them with holding bars for $10.

MD_Willington
July 13, 2011, 07:11 PM
My pistol bag is a Dell laptop bag I grabbed out of a dumpster !

AWorthyOpponent
July 13, 2011, 08:27 PM
Like someone else mentioned, I get all my accessories from paintball, or more commonly airsoft retailers. Most of the airsoft equipment is designed to be realistic, allowing the use of the same accessories as firearms.

Unlike in the real firearms world, the markup is on the "firearms" themselves. Some costing as much as or more than their real semi auto counterparts. This means that they don't have to mark up the accessories as much to get a profit.

Found out all of this from the owner of an airsoft supply store in the area. Apparently he got out of the firearms business and into the airsoft business because of this, though he still does FFL transfers and some custom orders.

Cosmoline
July 13, 2011, 08:36 PM
--Rubbermaid totes make great range boxes
--Ziplock bags make great handload carriers
--You can reuse all sizes of containers for all sorts of purposes. Esp. tin ones.
--Garage sales! For example I recently needed a 5 gallon plastic bucket and a colander for removing the brass from a thumbler tumbler. I did the circuit of sales en route to the range and found a $1 tub and a $1 colander. You can often find beat-up kitchen items that work great repurposed for gun stuff.
--Military surplus stores! Much of my wardrobe and most of my carrying bags come from them. I also use IDF surplus canteens instead of buying coke at the range.
--Bubble wrap and tape= scope carrier

--Most of all, I save money by not using a car. I haven't had to pay for a gallon of gasoline since 2006. My fuel is food, air and water. When I started down that path people said I was crazy. Now they are coming up asking where I got my trailer.

rocinante
July 13, 2011, 10:02 PM
All good stuff says the OP. Thank you.

Another tip is to use masking tape to cover the holes in your target so you can blast it more.

writerinmo
July 13, 2011, 11:11 PM
For those of you who print their own targets on laser printers, try this out. I pick up photo paper at every chance I get at yard sales, most times people get tired of buying ink cartridges long before they use up all that nice glossy paper.

Now take that paper and put it in your laser printer so it prints on the glossy side, and print out your targets, the more black in them the better.

When you shoot them, the laser toner pops off around the hole, a lot like the Shoot-n-see does. Pretty neat, but don't go buying the paper at the store as it aint cheap, but you can get it for 50 cents or a buck at a yard sale.

Swinging targets for the smaller caliber. Walmart has a small one for around ten bucks and you can shoot it all day for plinking. I'm working on several 1/4" thick steel ones to put out at my buddys place where we shoot, he had some up but they don't last long if you shoot them with a Mosin.

Ky Larry
July 14, 2011, 12:00 AM
I get free cardboard boxes from my neighborhood liquor store. They make good target stands, storage, and containers for lugging stuff to the range.

MarkDozier
July 14, 2011, 12:42 AM
i use empty plastic coffee cans with lids to pick up brass at the range. i also put 22 in one it holds around 1000-1200 rounds and sits it the car no problem.

Ignition Override
July 14, 2011, 01:45 AM
Never practice with a rifle magazine that holds over five rds.
Ammo lasts a good while in the Savage bolt-action .22, but you can use up quite a fair bit before sweat obscures your entire view through shooting glasses:scrutiny:, unless you just carried it and a small backpack a quarter mile.

But if its max. capacity is larger, never load more than three-five rds. in it.

As people seem to hint on certain gun websites, any day now after the empire has suddenly fallen, the luckier people might live in a compound with a foxy Australian lady rock and roll singer, where people protect "the precious juice", encircled by leather-bedeckt barbarians (with mohawks) who wander the wasteland.
Therefore, smaller mags ( i.e. SKS vs. AK) are not fashionable, nor macho.

Nushif
July 14, 2011, 02:02 AM
--Rubbermaid totes make great range boxes

Rubbermaid plastic-ware is this reloader's best friend! I literally have a huge stack of them to keep things orderly.

As much as I *want* that Beretta ammunition holder ... I can't afford it.

Steel Talon
July 14, 2011, 02:18 AM
3x5 index cards, magic marker a one inch square in center (moa) Avery colored hole protectors (3 ring note book holes) placed in center of square. Now you have a cheap maybe a penny cost MOA target to shoot for load development etc.

Use staple or spray adhesive to attach..

Twmaster
July 15, 2011, 09:35 PM
Reloader cheapness....

Get a colander from a yard sale for less than $1 to sift the brass out of the cleaning media..

Use sawdust instead of buying corn cob media for polishing. I sweep all my sawdust into a tin and use it in my tumbler.

St.Zu
July 16, 2011, 01:48 AM
I also use a diaper bag for my range bag. It is very well made and was a gift. Just dont use it for travel through the airport.

smalls
July 16, 2011, 04:27 PM
My range bag is a small duffel bag I "borrowed" from a family member years back.
My only other tip is to not shoot. As broke as I am, I'm lucky to shoot once a month.

Kendal Black
July 16, 2011, 07:35 PM
.22 LR ammo is cheap.

Snap caps are cheaper.

You can practice nine tenths of what needs practicing with those two things.

Including the Four Rules! (http://www.squidoo.com/gunsafety)

(I threw that last bit in because I've heard of an accident or two while people were dry firing, only it wasn't so dry as they thought.)

Steel Talon
July 17, 2011, 01:20 AM
Plastic oil drain pan, will fit the mouth of a 5gal bucket. Drill a bunch of holes in bottom of plastic oil pan make good for a brass sifter

Tom609
July 17, 2011, 10:54 PM
I use the color copy machine at work and crank out a hundred or so at a time. A ream of 11x17 copy paper also has a ton of uses and is cheaper than poster or art paper of the same basic size. I'll stick 4 or 5 square Post-It notes on it - I like the bright red color; they stand out best at 100 yards. Cheap paper plates from Walmart too.

303tom
July 19, 2011, 10:57 AM
Hell yes , especially targets , paper plates are cheap & a 90 ct. box of clays at wal-mart is just 8 bucks , damn right save money where you can !

steelrat60
July 19, 2011, 01:07 PM
Fill a milk jug with colored water for an inexpensive reactive target

Furncliff
July 19, 2011, 01:44 PM
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg27/scaled.php?server=27&filename=dsc01321i.jpg&res=medium
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh312/furncliff/th_DSC04427.jpg

I made a simple bench rest from a few pieces of oak I had laying around. A hardwood will hold the screws better, but apply some good glue and screws and you'll be good to go. The V notches are lined with pieces of a rubber floor mat. I made two butt blocks of different heights. The butt blocks work well for bench resting your pistol. This stand could also be used in your shop to work on your rifle, mount a scope, etc..

zfk55
July 19, 2011, 02:11 PM
Yeah, despite the hi-tech application, we're super cheap.
We use our 48" wide format digital printer to print targets on the back side of film carrier paper. Its usually rolled up and stored for nuthin' in particular after the printing of graphics is done, so we print targets on the reverse side.

We can print 18 targets on a 4'x8' stretch, which is as wide as our target framework is. It takes about $0.35 worth of ink per 8' run. The ones you see on the printer here are for pasting on targets from 100 out to 1,000 yards for the bigger ones.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/zfk3155/Bullseyes.jpg

This is me stapling a 4x8 18 target run on the framework. This is as cheap as it gets for real type targets and we can change the profiles to suit either open sights or scopes. We shoot some 300 rounds of .30 caliber a week for load data development that never seems to end.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/zfk3155/ShootShed001.jpg

We have a heated SHootShed so we shoot all winter long. We made it with both prone and bench firing ports.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/zfk3155/SS.jpg

You can see the framework from the 100 yard mark. We're building two more, one at 300 and one at the 500 yard mark

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/zfk3155/IMG_1866.jpg

zfk55
July 19, 2011, 02:25 PM
Forgot to mention that if anyone wants sheets like these just cover ink costs and shipping and they're yours. This may all look like its all expensive, but believe me..... we're as cheap as it gets with everything we buy. What we can't afford, we make.

Latigo

jdietz
July 19, 2011, 02:28 PM
Find stores that put out the plastic signs advertising sales or pick up the plastic election signs from the side of the road after an election. They make good targets and with the wire holders can be put almost anywhere.

The plastic is self sealing and lasts a long time.

zfk55
July 19, 2011, 02:31 PM
You mean like, steal them?

USAF_Vet
July 19, 2011, 02:41 PM

I look at it more as community service, cleaning up trash from the roadside. Especially if the other guy won the election. :D

RyanAnchors
July 19, 2011, 02:51 PM
This guy made an AR15 receiver from an old piece of cutting board :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3chSzLxPuzU

His process about four posts down
http://www.weaponeer.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=8035&PN=1&TPN=3

I was really impressed that it worked. He said there have been no problems with it. I guess since the lower doesn't really do the brunt of the "work" anyway...

zfk55
July 19, 2011, 03:09 PM
Quote:

I look at it more as community service, cleaning up trash from the roadside. Especially if the other guy won the election.

Well, for election signs you're actually doing a service. For store sales ads, it's simply stealing. We make a lot of money in the studio replacing stolen signs on wire H frames. I have mixed feelings. Am I sorry for the store, or do I need the extra bucks for ammo! Hmm?? :confused: :D

buck1032
July 19, 2011, 11:39 PM
The diaper bags already mentioned make outstanding range bags. I have been using one for a few years now and I started out with more pockets than I needed and now I seemed to filled every pocket with something or other. LOL

Now onto a non shooting money saving tip. For those of you who use a razor to shave after shaving and rinsing it, dip it in isopropyl alcohol. I started doing that back in April and last week I changed the head on my Mach 3 because I was going to be out of town and didnt want to mess with it while on vacation. I used the same head for three months when usually I could only get 14 to 21 days of it before changing.

RimfireChris
July 20, 2011, 03:00 PM
I sleep during the day and wear earplugs. Every time I buy a package, they come with a little hardcase to put a pair in your pocket. I've got a ton of them now, they're great for keeping small parts, especially screws safe and together. I also save all the various small ziploc type bags that come with all sorts of products for the same purpose.

Nushif
July 20, 2011, 09:36 PM
Just got back from the range. My target:

A white sheet of letter sized paper with a hand drawn circle roughly 1/2 to 3/4 inch diameter. Gives you a great reference point to shoot at. And is practically free.

Maple_City_Woodsman
July 20, 2011, 09:44 PM
Last time I had money, I purchased several high end air rifles - you know, the kind that are actually accurate enough to hit things, and consistent enough from shot to shot to print a group on paper. (Not from Walmart). ;)

It cost me a lot at the time, but now I can practice for even less than a .22, and I can do it in my back yard without disturbing the neighbors.

Oh, an I recycle old tennis balls as targets - they bounce and hop around. Its fun. :D

gym
July 21, 2011, 01:25 PM
Home depot had a 2 for 1 sale on some nice gloves for 10 bucks. Tight fitting with padding in the upper palm and lowerpalm, and thin rubber in between the fingers. Great cushioning and thin enough for any pistol I own. $5 bucks a pair

vellocet
July 21, 2011, 04:32 PM
Shoot corrosive ammo? Windex is a swell cleaner for the salts but costs three-four bucks a bottle. I'd rather buy ammo. Here is the formula for windex. Works on glass,too. 2oz ammonia,8oz rubbing alcohol, one teaspoon of dish soap and water to make a half gallon. Costs about 50 cents. I use marvel mystery oil on guns and make slings from 2 dollar leather belts from goodwill.

Got_Lead?
July 22, 2011, 12:55 AM
Poor man's trigger job. A piece of tire patch for an overtravel stop. No, it doesn't make the gun able to bump fire or prevent the gun from firing.
http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z398/1homebrewed/PICT0004a.jpg

Geckgo
July 22, 2011, 01:26 AM
I've thought about getting a .22 cal pellet swage kit for my rockchucker. If saving money on 1-2 cent pellets isn't cheap, I don't know what it. I have a pellet trap already so I can save the lead if it comes to that, hahaha.

Shadow 7D
July 22, 2011, 04:14 AM
also use a diaper bag for my range bag. It is very well made and was a gift. Just dont use it for travel through the airport.

My sister in law had kittens, and puppies, and I think I saw a flying pig take off out a window as we drove away, my bro told me not to worry, she'll get over it.
I was tempted to draw in some black guns in the teddy bears hands, but it struck me as too 3rd grade.

My ammo bag is actually a Router bag, has a few pockets, two big ones on each end, a band around the inside that's perfect for mags. You can fit everything from .22 to 12ga 25 round boxes, and it folds up like a doctors satchel.

SmokeJensen
July 22, 2011, 04:58 AM
For those shooting air rifles. Here's a trick my mother taught me when I first started shooting.

Take a coffee can with top. Any size but the bigger ones are easier to construct. Nail the can to a good sturdy tree, through the bottom of the can with the top facing out. Place the plastic top on the can. Use a marker to put a bulls eye. When shooting through the top the pellets remain in the can.

Remember, excessive use will weaken the can bottom and poke holes. The tree should stop the pellet. :D ;) But you will need new tops.

jleyring
July 23, 2011, 07:35 PM
Something else ive down before, which saves lots of money. Sometimes your local recycling center will have a barrel full of brass casings. My brother and i have gone and gotten thousands of rounds for cheap. Just have to pay by the pound for the wieght of brass. Alot of .40 S&W since the police take the spent casings there but it makes reloading all the better.

Oathkeeper1775
July 24, 2011, 12:41 PM
I:

Reuse the black plastic contractor trash bags
Reuse coffee cans, bean cans, clear plastic snack jars for storrage.
Do my own sewing....with dental floss.
Turn my back jean pockets into mag pouches-sew vertical w/floss
Used a bed frame for a gate.
Use scrap wood to make just about anything.
Old license plates-bird house and feeder roof.
Scrap firewood for BBQ: Maple = pork, oak = beef, chicken or fish = alder
Filter water with a $28.00 bucket set up
550 para cord-make netting, boot laces...great stress management tool
Turn old saw blades into butcher knives.
Duck decoys; landing-coat hangers, pvc pipe and socks, diving- run para cord thru the anchor and tie to boat, give a few tugs...
Duck blind-cut wires off a fake Christmas tree and twist them onto a net.
Bailing twine-brade into rope.
Garage flooring-3/4" stall mats, sized in 4'x8' and 4'x6', can be cut.
Sparkplugs, 3/8" vacuum hose, easy out and in without dropping.
Fake dog doodoo-the expanding foam, paint brown.
Deer stand/climber also good for trimming trees.
Popane tanks falling over? - slide em in a milk crate

A bunch more to follow:

DogLegArms
July 24, 2011, 06:27 PM
Government agencies have their own publications departments. They are constantly updating posters and just tossing out the older versions. I got a box of 1000 posters the size of poster board for free and shipped free.

Maverick223
July 24, 2011, 07:41 PM
^Link please.

:)

CmpsdNoMore
July 25, 2011, 12:17 AM
Fake dog doodoo-the expanding foam, paint brown.

...Why...?
And how does this save money for shooting?

Twmaster
July 25, 2011, 01:17 AM
And how does this save money for shooting?

It attracts fake dogs....

If you enjoyed reading about "Anybody else cheap (broke)? Share your tips" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!