American Gun Company double barrel shotgun

PDA

travisd
July 11, 2011, 07:12 PM
We have an old double barrel shotgun in 12 ga. It has external hammers. It says "American Gun Co. New York" on the side of the gun and "genuine armory steel" and "choke bored" on one of the barrels. Serial number is 141653. Hoping someone can tell me more about it and when it was made and so on.

If you enjoyed reading about "American Gun Company double barrel shotgun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SDC
July 11, 2011, 09:23 PM
"The American Gun Company" was a trade-name used by the Crescent Firearms Company between 1893 and the 1930s, and they both made their own firearms and imported them from Europe (usually Belgium); if there are any proof-marks on the water table (the flat parts visible when you open up the breech, top and bottom) this will be an imported gun.

Vaarok
July 12, 2011, 11:26 AM
Common double-gun, I've owned a couple I got for pittance. If they're not damascene, they're an unimpressive and inexpensive shotgun. I wouldn't put hot 2-3/4 loads through them on principle, but for birdshot they work just fine.

GCBurner
July 12, 2011, 10:29 PM
I noticed one of these the other day, hanging over the dining room fireplace in the local Cracker Barrel restaurant.

dogrunner
July 13, 2011, 11:25 AM
FYI: Numrich, aka Gun Parts, has quite a few parts for those old Crescent FA. I just repaired a side lock hammerless marked "Knickerbocker" for a buddy. THing was missing it's main spring, sear spring and plunger for the right sidelock......Numrich surprised me by having originals in stock.......

travisd
July 14, 2011, 11:07 AM
Yeah its nothing fancy its in pretty rough shape but its still a sweet gun. I've needed parts before and i've always had good luck with Numrich.

If you enjoyed reading about "American Gun Company double barrel shotgun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!