how do you record your load data?

PDA

TennJed
July 11, 2011, 08:42 PM
For those of you that keep track of you loads what do you use? Pen and Paper? Computer Spread sheet?

I am looking for both actually, and was wondering if anyone has any attachments, links, or files to lend.

I want to keep a copy in my three ring binde,r but want to back it up on the computer. A spreedsheet that allows you to search by weight, powder, ect would be wonderful.

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "how do you record your load data?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
PO2Hammer
July 11, 2011, 08:45 PM
Separate notebooks for each caliber, no computer stuff.

Walkalong
July 11, 2011, 08:51 PM
I use a log I made in Excel. I keep it in on four different drives, as well as print it out to put in a three ring binder.

Pacsd
July 11, 2011, 08:54 PM
I've got a 3 ring binder for each of my calibers that I've kept up since the mid 1970's. Record every work-up load and final selections as well as several test pattern results. Pretty simple thing to do. Probably too old and set in my ways to delve into spreadsheets.

R.W.Dale
July 11, 2011, 09:07 PM
I've got a 3 ring binder for each of my calibers that I've kept up since the mid 1970's. Record every work-up load and final selections as well as several test pattern results. Pretty simple thing to do. Probably too old and set in my ways to delve into spreadsheets.
I do the same using the sheets provided in post six of this thread

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=499180&highlight=printable

HOWARD J
July 11, 2011, 09:51 PM
I use labels from Midway on each batch or box of reloads.
If I like the load I transfer the info to a MTM 3 ring binder using a Lyman reloaders data log.

Haxby
July 11, 2011, 10:40 PM
Pen & ink.
3x5 spiral notebook in my range bag.
6x9 spiral notebook on my reloading bench.
3-ring binder on my bookshelf.
I'm not much of a note-taker. I just looked, and I've been using the same 3x5 notebook since 1997.

cfullgraf
July 11, 2011, 10:51 PM
3 ring binder with dividers for each caliber. I am up to two binders, 30 cal and down in one, above 30 cal and shot shell in the other.

Each divider has a sheets with load data, sheets for velocity, sheets for groups and blank paper for notes. I use lot numbers to link info from page to page.

My log sheets are home designed, originally drawn by hand, now drawn on CAD. I use a photo copier to "print" the sheets.

Finally, I keep a separate log of favorite loads du jour to make it easier to find my current pet loads.

It takes too long to fire up the computer to log info there on a spread sheet but spreadsheets offer some distinct possibilities.

REL1203
July 11, 2011, 11:14 PM
Excel Spreadsheet, new tab for every calibur, and one tab for every calibur with what I plan on doing on my next loading of that calibur (like i call it "9mm Ideas" and I will list "Try 20round of 124g Berry RN w/ 4.5g Universal at COAL 1.14", and then on the records tab, i recorder all the vital stats, and have a Notes Column where i can put anything important like "This batch was with the New Hornady 9mm dies" or something like that...

ReloaderFred
July 11, 2011, 11:14 PM
I have two large 3 ring binders, one of handgun calibers and one for rifle calibers. If one caliber is used in both rifle and handgun, there is a section in each for the respective loads.

The sheets are the Lyman 8 1/2" x 11" preprinted that they sell. Each page will contain four entries, with all the pertinent information. I've copied them on both sides of the sheet to reduce volume. When I make the labels for the boxes on my computer, I make an extra label to paste on the data sheet as an example. It helps when referencing older loads, since each label is dated, along with the load.

Hope this helps.

Fred

jcwit
July 11, 2011, 11:39 PM
Paper & Pen and a small file cabinet w/file folders.

1SOW
July 11, 2011, 11:43 PM
All computer stored, plus complete labels on 40+ cartridge holders.

ColtPythonElite
July 11, 2011, 11:50 PM
I use a small spiral bound notebook with each caliber separated by a paper clip. I back up the data by also writing it under the powder listings for each particular caliber/bullet in my loading manual.

ADKWOODSMAN
July 12, 2011, 08:41 AM
Small 3 ring binder for each common cal. ex .22, .24. .270 etc. and the computer. The computer is faster to search.

The 3 ring binders also contain targets fired with specific guns and all the reloading info on the target.

Innovative
July 12, 2011, 10:22 AM
Sometimes, I use a small 3 ring binder. I also like the computer for storing my "best" loads for each firearm. However, most of the time I like using these preprinted cards at the range.

http://www.larrywillis.com/Reloading%20Data2.jpg

Here's an article about this method (http://www.larrywillis.com/Reloading-Data.html)

James2
July 12, 2011, 10:28 AM
Two things I do. All ammo gets a label with date and loading specs. I use mailing labels and make printouts so its just fill in the blanks on the labels. I keep recipes and notes in my reloading manual. Nothing fancy, but it works for me.

1911Tuner
July 12, 2011, 10:31 AM
Over the years, I've simplified to the point that I've got it mostly committed to memory. I load for relatively few calibers and have trimmed it to three powders for handgun...and three only because I've recently started loading .38 Special again...or it would be just two. Unique and 2400.

For rifle, I mostly rely on IMR 4895 and a little use with 4064 in .308 caliber. The former for use with 150-grain bullets, and the latter for use with 165-168 grain. IMR 4895 also gets the nod for the small amount of .30-30 that I load...but that doesn't amount to much.

Beyond that, it's just a matter of writing the load date on the container with a Sharpie marker for the lots that I intend to store long-term...a year or more.

MrOldLude
July 12, 2011, 11:59 AM
Google documents spreadsheet.

In the cloud so I can access it anywhere I'm loading. it's also redundant, and more convenient than paper than can lost, smudged, torn out, and burnt.

I can instantly bring up what I'm loading, and calculate how many I've loaded to date, and etc.

EMC45
July 12, 2011, 12:59 PM
Composition notebook.

Ret.CWO
July 12, 2011, 02:17 PM
Lee has a great program on disk. I've been using it now close to ten years. I print it and place it in a loose leaf folder with a page protector. You can get it on Midway. It is very reasonable.

raddiver
July 12, 2011, 02:24 PM
I wrote a database to keep track of all my stuff.
number of shots fired, particular loads for a given gun, serial numbers, etc.

I figure i can back it up alot more places than i can a single sheet of paper.

A Historian
July 12, 2011, 04:24 PM
Memory. :|

BigN
July 12, 2011, 05:48 PM
I have a downloaded app for my Iphone. All reloads, info, shooting results are kept in it, neat and tidy, ready for recall.

Friendly, Don't Fire!
July 12, 2011, 06:20 PM
I use the sticker that takes up most of the inside lid of the RCBS green die box. Also, on each plastic box of cartridges, I use Frankford Arsenal Reloading Stickers to identify the loads that are in each particular box, the date they were loaded (date the cartridges where crimped and inserted in the box) and the exact recipe for the load, including micrometer numbers for trim-to length (I trim all brass) and micrometer number for my powder measure micrometer adjustment. For extremely accurate rifle loads, the micrometer adjustment indicates a throw that is just a tad on the light side and I dribble up to perfection into the scale pan for each cartridge. I use metal Saturn Funnels to dump powder from the scale pan into the casings in the Dedicated Frankford Arsenal loading trays.

J_McLeod
July 12, 2011, 07:07 PM
I write the load data on a little card that goes with the ammo, then put it into the excel spreadsheet and assign it a lot #. I have it all on one tab, but it's easy to filter.

Cherokee
July 12, 2011, 07:31 PM
I keep detailed records using a form I set up in Microsoft WORD. Since I started this before PC's, I converted it from manual notebooks and databases were too complicated to me back then. Today I would consider using a database, but Excel would also work I guess.

Anyway, I keep a separate numbered record for every load I have tried, segregated by cartridge, with all the details of the basic load and subsequent loadings of the same. I also include any notes for loading and shooting results, range results, firearm used, conditions, chronograph sessions. These are printed off and kept in 3 ring binders as well, and backed up on disk. I also use a removable lable on the ammo box with the load number and brief data so there is no question what I am shooting.

R.W.Dale
July 12, 2011, 07:33 PM
I have a downloaded app for my Iphone. All reloads, info, shooting results are kept in it, neat and tidy, ready for recall.

What app would that be?

Tapatalk post via IPhone.

Fat_46
July 12, 2011, 08:58 PM
I use a very large three ring binder. Each caliber (for each rifle if I have multiples in the same caliber) gets its own folder that has the holes already punched. Inside each folder are QuickLoad printouts for the load, with their respective test targets clipped to the printout.

cyphirx
July 12, 2011, 10:01 PM
I think the iphone/ipod app may be Range Buddy. Range/Gun/Reload data can be exported to a csv then emailed.

mrbro
July 12, 2011, 10:03 PM
Excel spreadsheet and Blackberry.

M1key
July 12, 2011, 10:17 PM
Write it on the case with felt-tip pen.

M

S$W66
July 13, 2011, 11:32 AM
Pen and paper and write load on inside lip of rifle loads. Pistol i keep in spiral notebook and keep on reloading desk beside reloading manuals.

roadliner
July 13, 2011, 11:01 PM
I've used a large red ledger for all my handgun reloading over the last 25 plus years. There is a lot of different loads that I wish was on a spreadsheet for easier searches. My problem was when I started reloading a couple of friends were just getting out the the gun business and I ended up purchasing ten different 1lb cans of powder. Way too many choices, but I thought it would be great to work up the one perfect load. Ha, I know now that two or three different powders is all I really need for the 5 or 6 calibers that I shoot. It would be nice to categorize the hundreds of different loads for comparison.

Vec
July 14, 2011, 12:20 AM
I second the Google Docs approach. I have an old laptop in the basement (free from work when they were getting rid of it) and I use that to pipe in music and record the load info.

A subset is duplicated on some labels that do on the boxes. I can use my lot number to correlate between the label and the spreadsheet.

If you enjoyed reading about "how do you record your load data?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!