Oh, no! New TV Gun Show Season

PDA

DukeNukem
July 12, 2011, 05:19 PM
...or Oh, yeah!, depending on which side of the divide you are on.

The new season of Sons of Guns starts tomorrow night. I enjoy the show, but I also enjoy reading the snarky comments about it here on THR.

If you enjoyed reading about "Oh, no! New TV Gun Show Season" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
*NOVA*
July 12, 2011, 05:30 PM
Two reasons to watch:
1. I might learn me a thing or two
2. The daughter is kinda cute. If i had a daughter, she'd make a good one. She lets the father keep his $1,500.00 grenade launcher after he makes a big sell of door buster shotguns mounted on AR platform

Its a cool show!

Nushif
July 12, 2011, 05:31 PM
What *is* the show about?

oneounceload
July 12, 2011, 05:36 PM
It's a "reality" show like Orange County Choppers, and the other 500 shows on TV

JTHunter
July 12, 2011, 06:34 PM
It is about a private gunshop in Louisiana that does custom work on many different kinds of firearms. They have made rocket launchers for a shipping company that has had problems with some of those "pirates". They have restored antique firearms, cannons, a WW2 flamethrower, etc.
For those of you who like to mod your guns, it might give you some ideas (or make you jealous!).

Carl N. Brown
July 12, 2011, 07:23 PM
It is a reality show about how Red Jacket (http://redjacketfirearms.com/ a Louisiana shop that builds Title II NFA firearms) handles various special products.

My wife forces me to watch it. ;)

pioneer461
July 12, 2011, 07:37 PM
In the current edition of the American Rifleman, there is an article about Sons of Guns.

Bottom line, like them or hate them, it is entertainment.

ZCORR Jay
July 13, 2011, 07:43 AM
It's cool to see some of the things they do and the innovative thinking they have. It's not a show I set aside time every week to watch but if I'm flipping through the channels and it's on I'll watch it for a while.

Sig88
July 13, 2011, 07:51 AM
I wish I had cable. I'll have to catch annepisode hear and there on line if they post their episodes.

hardluk1
July 13, 2011, 09:23 AM
Glad there are other shows to watch on tv. Just another time slot filler.

M-Cameron
July 13, 2011, 09:44 AM
the show wouldnt be half bad......IF.....they didnt act like they invented the wheel every time they made something(because most of what they do on the show has already been done before...)

and, if that apprentice of theirs( Kris?), stated taking his Ritalin.....dude works in a gun shop....and acts like he won the lottery, found a cure for cancer, and discovered the fountain of youth all in the same day.....every time they do a build.

-"y'all-right guys....today were going to build a machine gun for the sheriffs dept."

"WWHAAAT!!!??....this is totally crazy!!!..............."

(ranting continues on for another 10 min.)

"..........THIS IS NUTS!!!....I cant believe were building a machine gun!!!"

youngda9
July 13, 2011, 10:00 AM
I wish I had that sort of excitement about my job...yet I find myself typing on THR from my office :)

FIVETWOSEVEN
July 13, 2011, 10:29 AM
She lets the father keep his $1,500.00 grenade launcher after he makes a big sell of door buster shotguns mounted on AR platform

Actually she let him keep a $300 flare gun. If you look at it, it has a charging handle on it which makes it a Cobray 37mm flare launcher.

Dimis
July 13, 2011, 11:53 AM
I like the show I really do but I get this impression from Will like they are making him act like "Jesse James"
remember how Jesse just knew everything in the world about fabrication all the time?
I think thats what they are trying to do with Will... only problem is he comes off as an even bigger jerk the Jesse did
The daughter is just out there 99% of the time with daddy in her eyes
the one apprentice seems like he is a nice enough guy but hes got "daddy in his eyes" too
and the gunsmith they have gets treated like hes an idiot when im sure the guy has at least SOME idea of what hes doing
the new guy that was hired at the end just comes off as a hobbyist that will get fired soon
and the rest of the crew are more Will butt kissers and yes men
I know a good chunk of this is editing but some is not
this show just like American Chopper Miami/LA/NY ink and many others would be great if they actually focused more on the projects and less on the drama that supposedly makes "good TV"

HOOfan_1
July 13, 2011, 03:13 PM
drama that supposedly makes "good TV"

Good TV, NO. Popular TV, maybe.

Survivor and American Idol have set back television for many years. Producers trying to emulate their popularity is ruining the Discovery Channel and the History Channel.

amflyer
July 13, 2011, 03:22 PM
What *is* the show about?

It's about strange and often obnoxious people doing things for no apparent good reason, making guns that are probably overpriced, under-needed and over-rated. Much ado is made about deadlines and much drama is manufactured for good effect. Presumably, these people are paid a lot of money for unknown reasons as well. The whole shop is run by one individual with a pretty high opinion of himself, who employs his family and cronies regardless of their effectiveness.

No, wait, that's the US government.

But the show is a lot like that too.

chrt396
July 13, 2011, 03:27 PM
I wish I had that sort of excitement about my job...yet I find myself typing on THR from my office :)
Boy..you ain't kiddin! I'm doing the same!

bikerdoc
July 13, 2011, 03:51 PM
It's about strange and often obnoxious people doing things for no apparent good reason,

Sad, but thats thats what we have become. No I dont watch it.

Dentite
July 13, 2011, 03:58 PM
It's bittersweet...this could be such a good opportunity to show firearms and specifically NFA weapons in a positive light. And it's totally wasted. I could think of a lot of words to describe the problems...but mostly it's just unprofessional. They pretend everything is going to blow up, put themselves downrange...fire a bunch of lead into a pond, start a fire with tracers, etc. And if you think the daughter is hot you need your vision checked.

Yeah, I'll probably watch it anyway...sad I know...just hoping they make some improvements this season.

Valkman
July 13, 2011, 04:10 PM
I watched it once - meh. Nothing to see.

Strykervet
July 13, 2011, 04:15 PM
I'd much rather see a series where they go through actual firearms manufacturers. Maybe a few custom shops. But keep it more like a documentary than this "reality" garbage, sort of like "How its Made".

When I watched this show, I kept getting the feeling they really didn't know what they were doing. At least from a studied perspective. That is why they look like they are re-inventing the wheel --because they actually are!

Truth is, you have to find people like this to make a show out of it. If you find a real custom shop, they are boringly professional. Not good "reality" tv. Personally, I'd never pay money for anything they make, especially the marked up prices (check them out some day --they really do think highly of themselves-- when all they do is "convert" Saiga shotguns! 99% of the people who own them on here have done the same thing!).

That said, I do watch it sometimes when the tv is on, mostly because I am tired of Casey Anthony (news) or it isn't Wednesday and the Outdoor Channel isn't playing THEIR shooting shows (which are sponsored by real outfitters and manufacturers). Not top notch poductions, but better than "reality" swill.

hardluk1
July 13, 2011, 04:29 PM
Dimis jesse james IS a very good fabricator, he can do it with out help. To bad all these show are so full of sh,, poop.

Bojangles7
July 13, 2011, 06:30 PM
I like the show.

RDCL
July 13, 2011, 06:50 PM
I watch it sometimes.

In any case, I really think that whether you like the show or not.....we as gun owners and enthusiast should be thrilled any time a "pro-gun" program is produced as a TV show. Frankly, there aren't enough of them.

The more people (GOOD people, hopefully) that come into the shooting sport because of TV the better for us all.......even if the particular show can be lame at times.

just a thought.

Russ

DoubleTapDrew
July 13, 2011, 07:06 PM
I like it. Much rather watch that show than Judge Judy or American Idol. It's not perfect by any mean but it does (usually) involve guns and it's on a major network. It's not a documentary or a how-to show so I don't waste my time counting mistakes or rolling my eyes.
Until someone produces a version of TheHighRoad in TV Show format it'll have to do.

Bojangles7
July 13, 2011, 07:20 PM
In any case, I really think that whether you like the show or not.....we as gun owners and enthusiast should be thrilled any time a "pro-gun" program is produced as a TV show. Frankly, there aren't enough of them.

Agreed. Especially if it's on a major cable network like discovery. Not everyone has the outdoor channel.

DammitBoy
July 13, 2011, 07:30 PM
It's bittersweet...this could be such a good opportunity to show firearms and specifically NFA weapons in a positive light. And it's totally wasted. I could think of a lot of words to describe the problems...but mostly it's just unprofessional. They pretend everything is going to blow up, put themselves downrange...fire a bunch of lead into a pond, start a fire with tracers, etc. And if you think the daughter is hot you need your vision checked.

Yeah, I'll probably watch it anyway...sad I know...just hoping they make some improvements this season.

I agree 100% and to the guys saying this show is good for gunowners - no, it makes us look like backwards hicks and boobs.

HOOfan_1
July 14, 2011, 08:59 AM
I'd much rather see a series where they go through actual firearms manufacturers. Maybe a few custom shops. But keep it more like a documentary than this "reality" garbage, sort of like "How its Made".

There is a How It's Made episode going over the manufacture of H&H shotguns, there is a How They Do It episode going over the manufacture of Purdey Shotguns and there is another How It's Made episode that shows the manufacture/assembly of an LWRC AR-10.

All of those were 5-10 minute segments and showed much more about the actual manufacture of the guns than Son's of Guns

hardluk1
July 14, 2011, 09:06 AM
RDCL I am also a rider , does that make me thrilled with OCC,, H*LL no. Trash bike show . I most every town in america there is a shop that can do what they do, with out all the BS. All that did was bring out a bunch wana be clear sky riders on over priced, below avarage bikes. Theres many smithy / gun shops out that can do real work on real guns with out all the junk that red jacket seems trive on.

sarduy
July 14, 2011, 09:24 AM
i watched the show once and that was enough...
i dont like it. too much drama....

Dimis
July 14, 2011, 11:56 AM
Good TV, NO. Popular TV, maybe.
thats why it was in quotes I dont believe its good tv or anything close its dramatic garbage that will deteriorate into what orange county choppers did where the focus will be on the members of the show not the firearms

Dimis jesse james IS a very good fabricator, he can do it with out help. To bad all these show are so full of sh,, poop.
I know he is a very good fabricator but I also know that the "I know everything in the world about fabricating EVER" attitude was an act put on for monster garage the man is fallible and does have limits

SwampWolf
July 14, 2011, 02:45 PM
Quote:

Agreed. Especially if it's on a major cable network like discovery. Not everyone has the outdoor channel.

+2; I, too, absolutely agree with this sentiment.

hardluk1
July 14, 2011, 04:05 PM
Dimis Aren't we all fallible. he did sign a contract that he lived to regret. Jessie hated the show. I have met jessie years back at daytona before all this tv stuff made him somewhat unaroachable for some time. Difference, The owners/owner of occ are nothing more than a run of the mill weilder/wrench. With out guys with some talent around him he ain't poop. JR too. Jessie can allways go back to being a one man shop and the finish product will only be better. Tv with all the dramatic editing is for the toilet. But it atleast gives the never were's or wanabe's something to get the guns off on I guess. I put occ, the son of guns and those brother wielders that built a couple tracked toys all in the pile together. Nothing new, original or forword thinking among any of them.

RDCL
July 14, 2011, 06:34 PM
RDCL I am also a rider, does that make me thrilled with OCC,, H*LL no. Trash bike show

Hardluk1, I appreciate what you're saying.....but riders aren't under constant threat of losing their bike riding pastime due to ignorance and mis-placed ideas like the gun hobby of ours certainly is. Any TV program that promotes the idea that firearms are not terrible evil objects to be avoided....and are only the tools of a criminal is a rare and good thing.

Like the show or not......it IS a pro-gun TV show. Again, this is rare and good.

Best regards,
Russ

hardluk1
July 14, 2011, 07:03 PM
RDCL Its not a seriously informative show by any means and can feed the anti-gun people after seeing all the bs they do and how they act and possibly help the anti's think all of us are like that.

FourTeeFive
July 14, 2011, 07:38 PM
Just noticed this on the Rifle Dynamics website:

http://www.rifledynamics.com/news/index.php

If you scroll down there are two mentions of "Sons of Guns" and you'll see that Jim Fuller (Rifle Dynamics) and Tony Rumore (Tromix) will be in an episode. Now some of you will have more AK builders to complain about! :neener: Maybe they can bring in Marc Krebs and then nothing AK-related will be sacred anymore.

For me "Sons of Guns" is a guilty-pleasure of cheap entertainment. I like seeing the guy (Will) who converted some of my Saiga rifles. He was great to deal with in the past and I only wish him the best of luck in the future.

DammitBoy
July 14, 2011, 08:01 PM
Sons of Guns does NOT represent responsible gun ownership in any shape form or fashion. It reflects badly upon gun owners. That is not a positive image for us to be proud of...

USAF_Vet
July 15, 2011, 01:26 PM
So I watched the season premiere.

The 'problems' they encountered with their triple M-16 mostrosity I had figured out in five seconds... took them half an epidode.

Then the final scene of them blowing up that, what was it? a kids clubhouse? was just stupid. What was the point? It makes gun owners look bad.

I'll continue to watch it, but I'm not holding my breath for any improvements.

Sean Smith
July 15, 2011, 02:08 PM
God, some of you are uptight. The show is fluff entertainment. The people on the show point out how ridiculous their projects and contrived "deadlines" are all the time. The ridiculousness is kind of the point, but apparently that has gone over a lot of your heads.

I don't see them as a negative example of gun owners either. Shooting is shown as a fun hobby that doesn't hurt anybody, and the people are shown as likable oddballs, not paranoid psychos.

stonecutter2
July 15, 2011, 04:44 PM
God, some of you are uptight. The show is fluff entertainment. The people on the show point out how ridiculous their projects and contrived "deadlines" are all the time. The ridiculousness is kind of the point, but apparently that has gone over a lot of your heads.

I don't see them as a negative example of gun owners either. Shooting is shown as a fun hobby that doesn't hurt anybody, and the people are shown as likable oddballs, not paranoid psychos.
Yeah I think some of the things they do are totally goofy, and they often comment as such. And I wonder if some of the "drama" is really just tongue in cheek stuff to mock other reality shows (American Choppers etc).

What absolutely gets me is how they insist on shooting things that are antiques. This opening episode showed a guy with an old revolver with a tooth (?) in it - and he had a weird old bullet to show what it shot. The owner then asked if he fixed the revolver, could he shoot the bullet - and the guy said sure. I would definitely have left that bullet as-is, and as the owner I would have fixed the mechanism of the revolver and left it at that.

Pawn Stars drives me nuts the same way - here's an old antique blunderbuss last shot by Blackbeard's pirates - let's shoot it, and if it works we'll buy it! Why risk damaging so old and interesting, that's just fine as it is?

RDCL
July 15, 2011, 06:08 PM
I'd have to say that IMHO the best gun shows on cable TV are the ones presented on "The Outdoor Channel" on Wednesdays.

My favorites:

"American Rifleman"
"Shooting Gallery"
"Gun Nuts"
"Midway USA Gun Stories"
"Shooting USA"
"Best Defense"
"Cowboys"

Unfortunately "Cowboys" has been taken off. I DVR these shows every Wed. so I can enjoy them over the weekend. "American Rifleman" has a good segment called "This Old Gun"......always interesting.

......the hunting & fishing shows however, not much into those. They are more like ads for hunting gear!......Oh, and if you tend to think the daughter on "Sons Of Guns" is annoying (I don't) you've seen nothing until you've seen the Blond woman Tiffany on "The Crush: With Lee & Tiffany". She looks like Britney Spears......very attractive but annoying as all H*LL. I have no idea what "The Crush" is supposed to mean anyway......maybe a hunter can enlighten me.

.....and back to the original topic.....yes.....I do on occasion DVR "Sons Of Guns". The older show last year about the guys assembling an M-2 (Ma Duce) was fun.

Russ

S.W.G.
July 15, 2011, 06:21 PM
The episode with the dual water-cooled M16's was too much for me.

If they admitted it was for novelty that would be one thing, but they were talking about it as a legitimate weapons platform.

The Navy guy said he wanted to put some fire down on some waterfront targets. There are so many options that would have been superior to what they came up with.

How about a S.A.W.? Maybe an HK23E? Nope, were going to weld together some assault rifles, coil some copper tubing around them and call it a day.:barf:

It was a solution in search of a problem.

Not to mention how they claim to have invented things that have been around for a decade or more. I can see it now:

(Announcer) "Next Episode the guys unveil their piston driven AR!!! Unheard of!!! This is history in the making, folks!!!":rolleyes:

Cal-gun Fan
July 15, 2011, 07:13 PM
Ahh guys, come on, you hate Top Shot, you hate Sons of Guns, is there any pleasing you? So the people aren't the brightest-who cares? You all whine about how "its just a bunch of drama" and such, but you're just adding to it by complaining about it on the internet. If you don't want to watch it, don't-simple as that. No need to go cry about it on the gun forums.

DammitBoy
July 15, 2011, 10:30 PM
My favorites:

"American Rifleman"
"Shooting Gallery"
"Gun Nuts"
"Midway USA Gun Stories"
"Shooting USA"
"Best Defense"
"Cowboys"

Ditto +2 on that, including the new show, "gun stories" which is now my new favorite firearm related show.

Top shot isn't that bad, but I refuse to support the redneck hillbilly ignorant horrible negative mess that is 'sons of guns" - they glorify everything that non-gun owners point at and say, "see, I told you that's how they are!"

browneu
July 15, 2011, 11:13 PM
Did anyone see the previews for this week. He is going to make a 1,000 yard AK. I might watch this episode.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk

Cal-gun Fan
July 16, 2011, 08:48 AM
I saw that, has me interested. Skeptical, as Krebs is doing something similar, but interested.

FourTeeFive
July 16, 2011, 11:07 AM
And their ratings are two to three times as expected by the producers. Call it the dumbing down of America, but people like to watch this stuff. I don't honestly believe all swamp loggers are like the guys in that show, but some ARE! The TV producers specifically found a personable guy (Will) who runs a gun shop in Baton Rouge that makes tactical weapons. It MAKES GOOD TV! And that was the point, not to educate American citizens about guns.

I still maintain that this type of publicity helps us all. It makes "evil black rifles" more mainstream. I've read that most of the TV crew for the show never even fired a gun before, and now some of them have had Red Jacket build them AK's. For me that is a huge WIN for us gun owners.

Anything that brings gun ownership, and particularly weapons which are controversial to the general public, into the mainstream of America is, in my opinion, a great thing. Yes, it is fluffy sensationalistic entertainment, but I think it is helping our cause, not hurting it.

YMMV...

P.S. - I've spent quite a bit of time in Baton Rouge. In general the people are really warm and friendly, and yes, some of them are characters. But on the whole they're good folk with an interesting history. It is one of the few parts of the country where they've held on to their culture and heritage. More power to them. And... the food there is amazing!

smince
July 16, 2011, 06:49 PM
All of you gun snobs crack me up...

kozak6
July 16, 2011, 08:01 PM
Gun snobs? Are we supposed to be impressed by the gator killin' zip gun? A bent sheet metal cover bolted to a MAC pistol? Or how about a copper tube wrapped around a gun barrel? They also seem to have some issues with basic gun safety.

I haven't seen many episodes, but I haven't been impressed. The manufactured drama, silly deadlines, and lazy builds just don't do it for me.

I also find it troublesome that difficulties in NFA weapon ownership tend to be entirely skipped. It makes it seem like anyone can walk out the door with an MG or SBR.

Due to this and other reasons, it doesn't really cast a favorable image on gun owners.

browneu
July 16, 2011, 09:23 PM
I also find it troublesome that difficulties in NFA weapon ownership tend to be entirely skipped. It makes it seem like anyone can walk out the door with an MG or SBR.

Agreed, the anti's will only see people entering a gun shop and buying an SBR or MG. They won't believe us if we correct them on the ownership issues because it's not shown on TV.

FIVETWOSEVEN
July 16, 2011, 10:28 PM
They kinda covered that issue in one of the episodes. Couple of people were looking at a short Saiga shotgun and started talking about how it would be fun to have at their upcoming weekend and the girl said that it takes a few months to get the paperwork and backround check done.

DukeNukem
July 17, 2011, 06:00 AM
I thought this episode was very weak for a season premiere. Seemed even more contrived than usual, and the firearm they produced was more "Rube Goldberg" than usual.

Macgille
July 17, 2011, 08:26 AM
I think the show is enjoyable in a limited sense. Will seems to be a guy who has made a going concern out of a hobby and is delighted with the result. I don't have a problem with the guns they play with, but I would like it if they did focus on the legal hassles they have to put up with. This show is a narrow window into the world of guns for the general public and should be lauded for that.

I don't like senseless destruction and filling targets with explosives seems excessive. But that's television. After their 10th anniversary celebration where they blew up a house, I hope they cleaned up their mess before going home.

Cal-gun Fan
July 17, 2011, 06:15 PM
Gun snobs? Are we supposed to be impressed by the gator killin' zip gun? A bent sheet metal cover bolted to a MAC pistol? Or how about a copper tube wrapped around a gun barrel? They also seem to have some issues with basic gun safety.

I haven't seen many episodes, but I haven't been impressed. The manufactured drama, silly deadlines, and lazy builds just don't do it for me.

Due to this and other reasons, it doesn't really cast a favorable image on gun owners.

Ok, the gator gun was weak, I will give you that :)

However, you come off in your post as a bit of nit-picking snob to be honest, of course thats just how I interpreted it. It isn't "a bent sheet metal cover" bolted to a MAC. Its kind of a neat idea, perhaps not very practical in ALL situations, but look at gun owners-is half of the stuff we have PRACTICAL, to be honest? Heck no!
Not sure what you mean by the copper tube. If you mean the dual water cooled M16s, then it isn't really something that is needed, but it is still cool to watch. And "they seem to have some issues with basic gun safety". Yeah, I think that is probably half of the dang gun owning community there buddy. I wouldn't go pointing fingers there-I've seen plenty of gun owners with worse safety than that.
I don't get why you guys complain about the manufactured drama. It doesn't matter to be honest-grow up! Just fast forward if you are that bothered by it-don't come complain on the forums.
The deadlines may seem silly, but they still get it done, don't they? I'd say thats impressive.

I hear a lot of people saying that what Red Jacket does isn't that impressive, or that they talk about things they do like they are new concepts. Well, in many cases, they are to be honest. Anyone ever seen a suppressed shotgun before they made one? Nope.
Anyone ever seen an integrally suppressed AK before they made one? Nope.
They make a lot of neat stuff. Not all of it is practical, but it is all neat to see.

The NFA thing has already been noted-they mention having to do paperwork a lot and mention that it will take about 4 months.

Justin
July 17, 2011, 06:44 PM
I'd much rather watch the UK Top Gear than Sons of Guns.

That said, the fact that there are now reality shows based around shooting competitions and gunsmithing is an absolute positive that does nothing but benefit the RKBA community.

Evidently, those of you who've been too busy grousing about the quality of the programs have failed to notice something.

These programs, and their evidently reasonably good ratings are an indicator that the gun culture has gone mainstream.

No longer are shooters assumed to be basement-dwelling weirdos who are assumed to be one tinfoil shortage away from going on a rampage.

Rather, now shooters are considered fodder for multiple reality tv shows. Argue all you like about how you perceive the characters on these shows, but it doesn't change the fact that many people are watching these shows and being entertained.

Not only are they being entertained, they are having their views of gun owners mainstreamed and leveled, especially on Top Shot, where the drama is practically nonexistent compared to similarly themed shows. In fact, one review I read commented on how polite and generally fair-minded the people on Top Shot are.

These shows are a coupe for us. Regardless of whether you personally like them or not, it doesn't change the fact that the shows are a success. Furthermore, no one I'm aware of is running out to sign up Joan Peterson, Tom Diaz, or Dennis Hennigan to star in a reality show because no one cares about those people.

The antis are now losing on every front, including on television.

Ryanxia
July 17, 2011, 07:06 PM
I finally watched a few episodes and it's not bad. It doesn't hold a candle to Top Shot though :D

FourTeeFive
July 17, 2011, 08:58 PM
These programs, and their evidently reasonably good ratings are an indicator that the gun culture has gone mainstream.

+1!!!

DammitBoy
July 17, 2011, 09:44 PM
I hear a lot of people saying that what Red Jacket does isn't that impressive, or that they talk about things they do like they are new concepts. Well, in many cases, they are to be honest. Anyone ever seen a suppressed shotgun before they made one? Nope.

Sure, you can't swing a dead cat in england without hitting a suppressed shotgun. It's not even a new idea.

RyanAnchors
July 17, 2011, 09:45 PM
They lie too much and say they "changed the game".

Underbarreled shotgun on an AR?!?!?!! Oh wait, Colt Masterkey. Made before I was born.
Suppressed shotgun!?!?! Oh wait, been done. And they didn't do very well.
Tacticooled a Thompson machine gun!?!?!?! They should be burned at the stake.
Grenade launcher is a 37mm flare attachment that you or I can mail order right now.

The only cool one was restoring the old Marine's flamethrower that he used in WWII.

They also make guns sound dangerous and evil. When the Thompson mag-dumps in full-auto even after he let the trigger go he says "this thing is a death trap! anyone standing near this thing would die!!!!!" all dramatically.

Way to make guns and gun owners look safe and responsible to the masses http://www.beta.mpceh.net/forum/Smileys/default/2thumbs.gif

That and I hate all reality TV except for Top Shot. And I even turn that off when they are just arguing and not shooting.

RalphS
July 17, 2011, 10:07 PM
Keep in mind that this is reality TV and there is nothing real about reality TV. There is a story producer who is making stuff up and trying to make some normal people more "interesting" for TV.

lono
July 17, 2011, 10:12 PM
I am glad it is on TV. Good to have a gun related show on a large cable network.

Cal-gun Fan
July 17, 2011, 10:19 PM
Sure, you can't swing a dead cat in england without hitting a suppressed shotgun. It's not even a new idea.
Can you link me to some? And not some experimental thing, but something that actually works and is simple and wieldy, like their S12?

I do wish they would expand their horizons past the AK platform though, they seem to be really trapping themselves inside of that box.

+1 to Justin, too. Thats a great way to look at it!

highlander 5
July 17, 2011, 10:32 PM
I like the show for all of fussing of the daughter and the others in the shop. I wish I had the know how and the ability to create and analyze how o do whatever it is theyre doing.
Honestly some of the posters here have to lighten up a bit,this is a reality show and to me a hell of lot better than Survivor,American Idol or The Great Race. Can't stand any of the mentioned shows BTW.

joeq
July 17, 2011, 10:49 PM
Yes, suppressed shotguns existed before Red Jacket came along.

http://www.saddleryandgunroom.co.uk/Gunroom/SG_Hushpower.htm

RyanAnchors
July 18, 2011, 07:05 AM
Nearly everything they claim they have invented existed before hand.

pockets
July 18, 2011, 07:27 AM
As much as it pains me to admit, the first episode of season 2 was more palatable than any of season 1's episodes. Incredibly dumb waste of three AR's though.....However, they could have a future career in plumbing. I was surprised when they did not put a handle on the thing for shooting from the hip!
But it looks like the cast finally came to grips with 'this is a reality TV show and not reality'. It seems that they can finally all play their scripted parts without taking themselves too seriously this time around. Although, 'chipmunk girl' is still infinitely annoying....but she has majority ownership of the shop right? So she can do whatever she pleases. Just wish she would not start every sentence with; "Ummmullllll....", or "Unnnnngggghhhhh", etc.

I'll watch it....I'll suspend my disbelief....I can always fast-forward or hit delete if it gets too annoying. ;)

DammitBoy
July 18, 2011, 11:29 PM
Can you link me to some?

As stated by others, suppressed shotguns have been around before there was a Redjacket Firearms.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB__xEwuM50&feature=player_embedded#at=19

KCFirepower
July 19, 2011, 01:45 AM
I watch the show sometimes...they wanna over-drama everything, but it's funny to see folks I know on TV for no good reason.

hq
July 19, 2011, 05:59 AM
Nearly everything they claim they have invented existed before hand.

That's one of the most amusing things about the show. When I watch it with my teenage kids I hear "dad, isn't that 'invention' just like that old XXX gun you have?" a lot. :D

All in all, the show isn't that bad, IMO. If you don't take everything they say literally or too seriously, it's good entertainment. I still prefer Ermey's Lock and Load and especially Tales of the gun on History channel, but as a rule of the thumb, any show that has something to do with guns is good in my book. Even some episodes of Mythbusters; to some that might be a stretch, though...

joeq
July 20, 2011, 09:13 PM
Lets see what this 1000 yard AK can actually do.

FIVETWOSEVEN
July 20, 2011, 09:27 PM
I don't think 7.62 x 39 really has the power and stability to accurately fly 1,000 yards.

FourTeeFive
July 20, 2011, 10:10 PM
I don't think 7.62 x 39 really has the power and stability to accurately fly 1,000 yards.

I'm guessing they're talking about using a Saiga .308 as the platform for that project.

hardluk1
July 21, 2011, 10:28 AM
I saw part of a commercial showing the red jacket boys and the bunch from occ comeing together to do a more screwed up show than usually. The channel is truely scrape'n the bottom of the barrel. Got to have a chrome plated machine gun bike.

JackTheRipper
July 21, 2011, 10:29 AM
yup, .308 with 1:10 twist...

I know a lot of people complained when Will fired those blanks in season 1...

did anyone see when he fired the arrow gun inside? (I didn't see it 100%, glanced away)...

think he would have learned not to do that from season 1 huh?

Cop Bob
July 21, 2011, 11:56 AM
I think of it a OCC lite.. Arguing, moaning, groaning, and deadlines..... There are many safety issues... No real "gunsmithing" as I know it... I saw and liked the Flame Thrower Episode, but after that.. it's just Boring TV..

Many posters in my opinion are right.. they really do not show us in a real positive light..
But the gun culture has gone mainstream.... again... I was a way of life when I was growing up...

Cop Bob
July 21, 2011, 12:29 PM
HAHAHAHAH...... I just posted on another thread that Sons of Guns was like OCC Lite....

This just shows that they are definitely owned by the same network or parent company...And the OCC show is in ratings trouble and just about reached the end of its run...

browneu
July 21, 2011, 12:48 PM
I didn't see the episode did he invent the game changer. Is it going to replace the M4.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk

X-Rap
July 21, 2011, 12:52 PM
I will be to bust watching american idol and biggest loser to catch any of these shows, I guess i'll have to catch them on DVD:rolleyes::barf:

FIVETWOSEVEN
July 21, 2011, 01:03 PM
I know a lot of people complained when Will fired those blanks in season 1...

The thing about that is that it is TV, they would have taken considerations in and it was a safe distance away. The minimun safe distance for a blank adapted Garand was 20 feet away and this was a rifle blank when these were just pistol blanks. How can you people watch a movie where they are firing blank weapons at each other?

Cal-gun Fan
July 21, 2011, 02:09 PM
Wasn't too impressed with the latest episode...so far at least, only saw a third of it before I had to go. Its cool to watch, but I don't understand the point of anything so far this episode. There is so much out there that can shoot out to 1000 yards that it seems pointless to adapt an AK to this purpose. "Because its reliable" is kind of lame.

The arrow thing...I don't know...I don't get WHY they would want to, but again, its fun to watch, so whatever :)

hq
July 21, 2011, 03:20 PM
There is so much out there that can shoot out to 1000 yards that it seems pointless to adapt an AK to this purpose. "Because its reliable" is kind of lame.

And, on top of all, it's not by far the first AK-type .308 (.30-06, 7.62x54 etc.) that has been rebarreled and accurized for 1000yd duty. Even my slightly reworked, stock barreled .308 Saiga is "dinner plate accurate" out to 1000 yards and although it exceeded my initial expectations as the cheapest new semiauto .308 I could buy at the time, it isn't really that exceptional.

Maybe gun nuts aren't exactly the intended target audience for a show like that.

robhof
July 21, 2011, 03:35 PM
Anyone claiming to be a Marine and pointing and firing a gun(even blank) indoors, needs to go back to basic. I'm only USAF retired and I've had enough weapons training to treat ALL guns as if they're loaded with real bullets!!! The girl reminds me of my daughter as a teen, but she grew out of it.

bri
July 21, 2011, 04:57 PM
Like it or not, I think it's good that there's another show strictly about firearms, on a mainstream cable channel (in addition to Top Shot). I think it speaks volumes as to the increasing acceptance of firearms by the general public, which is good for all of us.

For all the haters, you know you can just change the channel, correct?

Iramo94
July 21, 2011, 07:33 PM
...It isn't "a bent sheet metal cover" bolted to a MAC. Its kind of a neat idea, perhaps not very practical in ALL situations, but look at gun owners-is half of the stuff we have PRACTICAL, to be honest? Heck no!...

The box gun has been done before. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYqHe7-zKAc&NR=1&feature=fvwp) Please note "SHOT 2008", and Magpul isn't the only company. Sorry, next fake invention please.

This isn't to say I don't like the show, because I really do like anything pro-gun that has conned it's way into mainstream entertainment.:D

FIVETWOSEVEN
July 21, 2011, 10:16 PM
Anyone claiming to be a Marine and pointing and firing a gun(even blank) indoors, needs to go back to basic. I'm only USAF retired and I've had enough weapons training to treat ALL guns as if they're loaded with real bullets!!! The girl reminds me of my daughter as a teen, but she grew out of it.

So I guess movie production crews should just use CGI only for the gun shots when they are even pointing the gun in the general direction?

joeq
July 21, 2011, 10:35 PM
I'm sorry, but just because there is a gun show doesn't mean it's good. These people look like absolute morons. Yes, his arrow gun shot blanks, it still had aluminum arrows as projectiles. Him shooting it head level with his daughter inside the shop just shows his stupidity. This show is like watching a train wreck.

So I guess movie production crews should just use CGI only for the gun shots when they are even pointing the gun in the general direction?

Red Jacket isn't filming a movie. These are real firearms, not props.

FIVETWOSEVEN
July 21, 2011, 10:56 PM
What was it that he shot? A MAC 10 converted to only fire blanks.

What do they use in movies most of the time? A real gun converted to blanks.

Whats the difference?

WhistlinDixie
July 21, 2011, 11:27 PM
Some of you guys are absolutely ridiculous. Of course the show is contrived and edited. You would be a fool to think otherwise. Either enjoy the show for what it is, or don't watch it. Lighten up, Francis.

This show is doing far more good for the gun owning community than the people sitting on forums writing post after post bashing it.

Dentite
July 21, 2011, 11:43 PM
Some of you guys are absolutely ridiculous. Of course the show is contrived and edited. You would be a fool to think otherwise. Either enjoy the show for what it is, or don't watch it. Lighten up, Francis.

This show is doing far more good for the gun owning community than the people sitting on forums writing post after post bashing it.

So what you are saying is that your minority opinion is right and the majority opinion is wrong?

Thats all they are anyway...opinions Francis.

hso
July 21, 2011, 11:53 PM
I was dismayed at the lack of basic safety demonstrated in this episode.

I wondered about the "1,000 yard AK' in 7.62X39 being absurd then recognized the 7.62X51 Saiga used for the basic platform. A carefully chambered Krieger barrel and Black Hills ammunition would do the job hung off of almost any platform that would chamber the rounds. It is a pity they didn't do something better about the scope mount.

I also found it interesting that the reality show talked about the new show realities.

WhistlinDixie
July 21, 2011, 11:58 PM
I didn't offer an opinion one way or the other. I personally don't watch the show because I'm not a big fan. But I don't sit here talking about how horrible it is, either.

The Stripes reference doesn't really work the way you used it.

Dewey 68
July 22, 2011, 12:03 AM
I enjoy the show but it's a guilty pleasure. Without the fake deadlines, the contrived scripted "projects", you have a show about guys working in a machine shop on firearms. Not many people would watch that. I haven't seen the second episode yet, but the thing that almost made me LOL from the first episode was the guy who brings in the black powder revolver talking about using it for self defense, and the daughter sells him a $1,850 shotgun. When he test fired it I thought he was gonna piss himself. "Nice" he says. "Yeah, I hear that a lot". Puuuuhhhhlease. I'm not saying that a shotgun isn't good for home defense, but I sure as hell wouldn't spend $1,850 for one.

The other thing that I find amusing is the pyrotechnics that they use every time they test one of their projects. It's not enough to shoot an object, it has to be blown to smithereens. At least when I see Mythbusters blow stuff up, I know it's for dramatic effect and they used to actually do special effects!

Half of the reason I watch the show is to read these threads to see how the gun community reacts. It's good to see gun related shows becoming more mainstream, but we all hope that the general public doesn't think that this is REAL.

MAKster
July 22, 2011, 08:38 AM
It could get worse. Maybe the owner of Red Jacket can teach Kate Goslin how to shoot in a future episode!

Cal-gun Fan
July 22, 2011, 08:39 AM
Oh don't get your panties in a wad guys. If you don't like it, don't watch it. Not like it locks you to the channel :)

Red Cent
July 22, 2011, 10:10 AM
Yeah but Cal-gun, you hear about the new gun show and say YES!!! (clinch your fist and make the move like you are calling the guy out at third baase) and you run into this silly crap.
Makes you wonder who is directing this...this,,,boring stuff. Makes you wonder how he drinks his tea?
So you post your disappointment. I have watched one show.

USAF_Vet
July 22, 2011, 11:05 AM
I watched the 1k AK/ arrow gun episode on DVR last night. The best thiing about the episode was the type 38 Arisaka. But their contrived dilemma about where to find ammo for it was absurd. Sure, it's not on the shelf at Wal-Mart, but any gun shop worth it's FFL should know it can be purchased at any number of online ammo dealers. Also, charging $150 to clean out some cosmolene? Give me a break.

Love how the young kid got all excited about shooting the Arisaka, but couldn't figure out how it worked. :epic facepalm:

stonecutter2
July 22, 2011, 11:20 AM
I watched the 1k AK/ arrow gun episode on DVR last night. The best thiing about the episode was the type 38 Arisaka. But their contrived dilemma about where to find ammo for it was absurd. Sure, it's not on the shelf at Wal-Mart, but any gun shop worth it's FFL should know it can be purchased at any number of online ammo dealers. Also, charging $150 to clean out some cosmolene? Give me a break.

Love how the young kid got all excited about shooting the Arisaka, but couldn't figure out how it worked. :epic facepalm:
The Arisaka ammo thing was pretty lame. Why were people like "how did he find that?!?!" I mean, haven't they heard of google? I just typed in Arisaka ammo and instantly found a few places to order ammo from.

They made some fake big deal about the bullet puller, too. Like something was going to happen when they wacked it on the 4x4, aside from you know, the round coming apart.

I do like watching the show just to see what they "come up with" next. I think some points of it border on the absurd, but for someone who doesn't know gun stuff I think it would be far more entertaining. I really don't agree with their approach of showing them "inventing" things that are NOT new concepts. Quite honestly I think it's making them out to be a bunch of backwoods Louisiana rednecks. It might be a first to Red Jacket, but it's not a first in firearms.

The drama with Steph and her boyfriend - there's enough of that on other shows. I don't watch a gun show to watch people's bad relationships unfold.

Oh, and Will demanding that the dude install the barrel with "what they've got" and not investing in requested equipment seemed to be a really bad way to run a business.

feedthehogs
July 22, 2011, 11:22 AM
Another reality show example of people putting money in their pocket ahead of personal integrity and behaviour.

They are nothing more than trained monkeys controlled by the producers to look, act and sound like morons. Unfortunatly thats whats sells to the IQ challenged of the tv world.

They make solid respectable guns owners look like a bunch of backwoods hillbillies.

Even a good gun show like top shot can't help but introduce a bunch of drama queens to the element making men in general look like the Kardashian family with Bruce "I have no balls" Jenner.

zfk55
July 22, 2011, 11:59 AM
Yeah, I agree now. It's pure show drama. I watched the episode you guys are talking about. My Dad recorded it to show me their shop, and I admit it was the first one I've ever completely watched. I did watch 10 minutes of one of them when it began but thought it wasn't a serious show, so I didn't watch any subsequent episodes.
We're Swiss Products, and we own a machine shop with actual working lathes and large CNCs. We manufacture firearm accessories and our head machinist is a real gunsmith. The shop boss is a 73 year old Master Gunsmith and Tool & Die maker.

From that standpoint, my opinion is that having watched the grinder sparks fly around, the hand held drills smoking and the pointless Dremel type shaping (?) of parts, if there's an actual gunsmith in the place, he's hiding somewhere out of camera reach. The one lathe they seem to have is the only piece of equipment that seems to be right. Maybe.
I don't think I've ever seen more BS in one show outside of Gilligan's Island.

If its just meant for fun, that's one thing, but that episode was too much for even a novice to stomach. What's with all the AK stuff on the walls. Is that all they work with? Did anyone hear what the actual caliber was for that rifle? It couldn't have been 7.62x39.

USAF_Vet
July 22, 2011, 12:04 PM
and Will demanding that the dude install the barrel with "what they've got" and not investing in requested equipment seemed to be a really bad way to run a business.

I told my TV* something very similar when I watched it.

*no one else in the house watches the show.

FourTeeFive
July 22, 2011, 12:09 PM
What's with all the AK stuff on the walls. Is that all they work with? Did anyone hear what the actual caliber was for that rifle? It couldn't have been 7.62x39.

The short answer is basically a YES. For years that has been Red Jacket's bread and butter. They are well known for doing decent AK work. I've never gotten the impression that you go there looking to get a hand made .300 Win Mag for hunting.

And yes, the term "AK" was a stretch. It was based on a Saiga .308, which, while not being an AK47, is a Kalashnikov design. Close enough for television...

zfk55
July 22, 2011, 12:10 PM
You talk to your TV too? My wife is always thinking I'm talking to her in the kitchen. :D

Kingofthehill
July 22, 2011, 12:35 PM
awful awful show, and the daughter is annoying as it gets...

"the screws have to go in the same hole, every time"... REALLY? these goons would never touch any of my guns...

Im not even going into how bad these people are in the terms of SAFETY!... just jamming crap into barrels and firing them in a shop without eyes/ears or informing those around them whats happening and the risks... these people are bad for the cause IMO.

Kingofthehill
July 22, 2011, 12:40 PM
How can you people watch a movie where they are firing blank weapons at each other?

i work in the movie industry, guns are never pointed at the person while firing blanks. Its all camera angles that make it appear that they are pointed at the person.

Also, when the armorers handling the firearms give a gun to anyone on set, they show it to EVERYONE involved that it is unloaded and clear. They are very very safe when it comes to firearms/blanks/shooting in the movies.

Kingofthehill
July 22, 2011, 12:51 PM
oh, and i see this next episode integrating Orange County Choppers with Sons of guns as a mutual shark jumping of the two... although OCC has made jumping sharks an Olympic sport, im not sure if Sons of guns can handle it.

I just wish they would use their status on the show for a LITTLE bit of good for the shooting community.

anomoly40
July 22, 2011, 02:56 PM
I like how the shop tools look like they're bought off craigslist and are for decoration only. I laughed when on the first season the bigger worker guy wouldn't let the katana machete making guy use the Bridgeport.

Steve CT
July 22, 2011, 03:45 PM
Just one more glimpse into the murky end of the Gene Pool. Two pointlessly shallow television shows do not add up to make one good show.

VT Deer Hunter
July 22, 2011, 04:34 PM
THANK YOU, some one agrees that this shows are not "real". And they are not as good as some other shows. The networks and animated shows are not even trying to be put together well or even good ideas.

VT Deer Hunter
July 22, 2011, 04:42 PM
I sort of like the show but not to much. It is sort of fake in a sense as what gunsmiths do. A average gunsmith probably would never do the things they do on the show. Even very experienced and long time gunsmiths.

GEM
July 22, 2011, 05:03 PM
Type Arisaka into Google or Midway's site. Ammo found.

Next episode, they build a cannon for Operation Repo's truck.

I'm sorry, there are good gun shows on the tube without having a professional wrestling like version of gunsmithing.

VT Deer Hunter
July 22, 2011, 05:06 PM
Type Arisaka into Google or Midway's site. Ammo found.

Next episode, they build a cannon for Operation Repo's truck.

I'm sorry, there are good gun shows on the tube without having a professional wrestling like version of gunsmithing.
GEM got it he just got what I have ment "I'm sorry, there are good gun shows on the tube without having a professional wrestling like version of gunsmithing." And to add to that i typed "Arisaka" in Midways site and DING DING DING. 1 result for ammo and a result for brass. The i cant find Arisaka ammo on Sons of Guns is a joke. I thought to myself when i saw that episode look on like you have internet!

JackTheRipper
July 22, 2011, 05:15 PM
As much as people don't like the show, they surely aren't gonna tune out of next weeks episode.

The only thing I'm sorta mad with Red Jacket for, is bad Customer Service...

I ordered a rifle back in Feb, paid half up front, half about 2 weeks ago (they called me when they wanted that second half)... and I thought it would be any day now I'd be receiving my rifle. I called them up, they immediately told me to send an email to their status email address, and told me to wait 48 hours for a reply... That was on Monday I believe. Still no answer... For a little over $1000, you think I'd be getting the royal treatment.

Oh well... I'll just wait some more...

I do enjoy most of the shows though (entertainment wise)...

FourTeeFive
July 22, 2011, 05:24 PM
I ordered a rifle back in Feb, paid half up front, half about 2 weeks ago (they called me when they wanted that second half)... and I thought it would be any day now I'd be receiving my rifle. I called them up, they immediately told me to send an email to their status email address, and told me to wait 48 hours for a reply... That was on Monday I believe. Still no answer... For a little over $1000, you think I'd be getting the royal treatment.

Even before the TV show I waited about six months for some AK work from Red Jacket. To be fair that seems to be about normal for a lot of AK shops, and some weren't even accepting any new work at the time.

jimmyraythomason
July 22, 2011, 05:34 PM
and the other 500 shows on TV
Be grateful! It wasn't that long ago that there were NO shows for hunters or gun owners on TV!

JN01
July 22, 2011, 06:46 PM
Im not even going into how bad these people are in the terms of SAFETY!... just jamming crap into barrels and firing them in a shop without eyes/ears

Yeah, I don't quite understand why a place that makes different kinds of experimental arms wouldn't have some sort of jig or fixture to remotely fire weapons. Oh well, I guess as long as you have a heavy glove on and turn your head when you pull the trigger, you're good to go.:)

LongTimeGone
July 22, 2011, 08:31 PM
I watched last week and it seemed like OCC with weapons instead of bikes. I know, said before.

I watched it, but the stupid aluminum folding case on the pistol and using it to shoot the props on the trail at night was too much.

Kingofthehill
July 22, 2011, 11:26 PM
Yeah, I don't quite understand why a place that makes different kinds of experimental arms wouldn't have some sort of jig or fixture to remotely fire weapons. Oh well, I guess as long as you have a heavy glove on and turn your head when you pull the trigger, you're good to go.

hahaha... your absolutely correct, that glove and turning you head will solve everything! lol... freaking people i swear

Hypnogator
July 23, 2011, 01:16 PM
I'm not a big fan of "Sons of Guns" but I think it's healthy for a mainstream channel show to depict firearms ownership and shooting as a normal and fun activity. Especially as it depicts construction and use of automatic weapons and explosive devices by a licensed manufacturer. :cool:

PT92
July 23, 2011, 07:49 PM
Good show/entertainment and good for pro-gun cause.

It's a must-have-dvr for me.

-Cheers

DammitBoy
July 23, 2011, 09:26 PM
How is it good for the pro-gun cause?

anomoly40
July 23, 2011, 10:43 PM
I just object to the questionable handling of firearms displayed on the show.

Twiki357
July 24, 2011, 02:12 AM
I'm not much of a fan of "Sons of Guns" either, but if it provides entertainment (And some level of education???) to non-anti-gun folks and keeps them from becoming anti-gun, then I'm all for it. At least it does demonstrate that guns can be fun and safe.

stickhauler
July 24, 2011, 02:24 AM
Well, if it sucks as much as you guys claim, why did it finish in 6th place for it's evening ratings, with a 0.9 share, and 2,093,000 viewers? As compared to the 0.5 share, and 895,000 viewers for the Conan O'Brian show on TBS? Remember that guy, the one the world went insane about when NBC axed his lame attempt at doing the Tonight Show and brought back Leno?

Somehow, I don't think the salaries of all the characters on "Sons of Guns" combined comes up to the mega-bucks TBS is paying Conan himself per show.

Frankly, the episodes from last year that depicted their work restoring an old WW-II flame thrower to allow a MOH recipient a chance to work it again, and the episode where they adapted a quad runner and a shotgun to allow one of our returning injured military members to enjoy hunting again more than made supporting the show worth it to me. I guess some folks here don't have the heart to take a little BS on the concept to be able to stomach watching such a show. That's sad!

Maybe I'm just too hung up on seeing feel good stories like that. My understanding, from reading posts here, is that many of us are vets. I'm from an era where returning vets were treated like crap, regardless of their physical condition upon returning to the world. I appreciate seeing veterans treated with respect. In either show, honoring veterans is forefront in their point of view. If only the rest of society did the same.

I'm a huge fan of shows like "How It's Made", but then again, having a lifetime of working around mechanical equipment, I understand the esoteric details they highlight, while those who are not mechanically inclined would find the show boring as watching grass grow.

Sly Stone said it best; "Different strokes, for different folks." If "Sons Of Guns" isn't your cup of tea, please, don't watch it. But just like Roger Ebert gives his opinion of movies, and many don't agree with his views, don't be too disappointed if people don't really care what your opinion on this show is.

MarkDozier
July 24, 2011, 02:38 AM
I have watched it. I found it boring as a steady diet, but really enjoyed seeing Woody and the big smile on his face with flame thrower strapped and running it.

WhistlinDixie
July 24, 2011, 07:06 AM
It's making firearms more mainstream. That's how it's good for the cause.

Rembrandt
July 24, 2011, 09:05 AM
Two shows that design & build mechanical solutions for problems that don't exist.

303tom
July 24, 2011, 09:25 AM
Top Shot is about all I can do !!!!!

FourTeeFive
July 24, 2011, 10:31 AM
It's making firearms more mainstream. That's how it's good for the cause.

I think this is an important point. Remember Harleys or tattoos before they became mainstream? All guys with tattoos riding Harleys were "dangerous bikers" in the minds of many people. Now they're very likely to be your accountant. The look and appearance of Harleys and guys in leather with/without tattoo have now been accepted by the general public. Sons of Guns, like the show or not, is helping get "Evil Black Rifles" accepted by the general public. Hopefully people will start looking at them as "oh, that is one of those guns that is fun to shoot" rather than the current "only the military should have them" mentality that exists for a lot of non gun owners.

Having guns become a bigger part of the general public's mindshare is a good thing for us gun owners. Associating firearms and "fun" shooting is a win for us.

cbrgator
July 24, 2011, 11:15 AM
Regardless of how good or bad the show is, I don't think we have too much to worry about with negative perceptions. It isn't like anti's watch the show anyway...

How many people who have no interest in cooking watch the food network? If you don't care about home improvement, you don't watch those DIY shows, etc. Antis aren't going to watch a show about guns.

Plus, with all the negative imagery seen in movies and TV shows, even if they did everything right on Sons of Guns it would make 0 difference.

goon
July 24, 2011, 12:11 PM
I watch Sons of Guns.
I'm not a gunsmith but I can still tell that some of their problems aren't really problems, some of the stuff they do isn't that big of a deal.
For instance, the search for 6.5 Arisaka ammo. When that episode came on and they started making a big deal of finding this ammo, I started searching online. I hit the "hard to find" places first, but ultimately found it on Midway in less than 5 minutes - and it's in stock!
What's so hard about that?

Still, they're on TV and they're showing people that shooting stuff isn't inherently evil. They're having fun with all kinds of guns, including machine guns. They do show a lot of respect for veterans and it definitely takes more skill than I've got right now to do a lot of what they do with guns. And there are some cool historical guns that make their way on to the show too. I'm mildly irritated with some of it, but overall I'm a supporter of the show.

Plan2Live
July 24, 2011, 01:13 PM
Ditto on the opinion that both are junk shows, double ditto on the change the channel/hit the big red button comment.

I watch very little TV and when I do it is either morning network news or one of the "cable channels". If I could choose my own cable package it would be limited to less than 12 channels.

I have seen some portions of Sons of Guns and I'm not sure I agree that they are a positive example of gun folks. Three ARs combined into one weapon, talk about making a liberals head explode.

goon
July 24, 2011, 01:56 PM
I have seen some portions of Sons of Guns and I'm not sure I agree that they are a positive example of gun folks. Three ARs combined into one weapon, talk about making a liberals head explode.

I'm more than less a liberal these days. My head did not explode. You should be more careful about assuming that politics = automatic stance on gun ownership. I've been shooting since I was four years old and have owned more AK's than many "What do you need that for? You can't hunt with it!" type conservatives have seen in their entire lives.

On the episode you describe, I thought it a pointless use of three perfectly good lower receivers, but I wasn't offended.
It certainly wasn't any "worse" than the belt-fed 1919, MG-42, or M2 HB that I saw being fired in that same episode.

4v50 Gary
July 24, 2011, 02:06 PM
Television numbs the mind. I saw one episode of Son o' a Gun and it was too dramatized. Give me a modest non-showman professional who narrates as he works. PISCO's Robert Dunlap would be a good candidate for it. He's the fellow who puts out all those American Gunsmith Institute CDs. He was my teacher at Lassen College.

goon
July 24, 2011, 05:11 PM
Gary - what you describe is education though, not entertainment. I agree that there's too much unnecessary drama added, but how big of a market would there be for a purely educational based gun TV show?
Lots of guys of a certain age bracket don't watch much TV to begin with and some don't even own a TV! Can't say I blame them because there is so much crap on TV anymore that it's usually not worth watching.
But if people are going to watch it, maybe it does "us" some good to see guns being built and used for recreation (which seems to be what a lot of the guns on this show are used for).

pikid89
July 24, 2011, 05:40 PM
id watch a show with Larry Potterfield working a gun from top to bottom...i love his videos on youtube

some of the stuff sons of guns does is too crazy for me (hack up a correct 1919 into a short barrel SAW type deal)(arrow shooting .410??? sounds more than a bit dangerous)(.410 gator kill stick, aka zip gun)
the claim old ideas/existing products as their own (master key shotgun, idea by Knights armament)(folding flashlight gun, already invented by Magpul)
as well as some projects that just make you say why? (converting a normal submachine gun into a blank only gun)(Rocket array for a "contractor")(double M16 for a naval gunner?) ( Saiga 308 with a match barrel and a trigger job with a scope thats high enough off the barrel to be measured in inches...all for 2,800 bucks???)

susasusa
August 6, 2011, 03:07 PM
does anyone know when the casting for season 5 will begin. I missed casting for season 4.

jmresistance
August 6, 2011, 07:24 PM
Boy..you ain't kiddin! I'm doing the same!
Same here! Don't tell my boss...

jmresistance
August 6, 2011, 07:32 PM
I watch it, but I sometimes they drive me crazy! I basically watch it to fill the need for gun related programming when the Military Channel is playing another episode of Great Planes or that show where the refurbish tanks...

I agree that "reality TV" and guns don't mix (see Top Shot). We need more real gun programming and less hype and drama. I had high hopes for Top Shot and Sons of Guns, but they both disappointed. On the other hand, they both have guns, so if I can get my wife to watch them instead of Toddlers and Tiaras or Cupcake Girls I will be a happy man.

kozak6
August 7, 2011, 12:42 AM
It's a little obnoxious how they push their SBS Saigas. It still bothers me that they tend not to discuss the legalities of such.

Hawthorne2k
August 7, 2011, 06:39 PM
I think this is an important point. Remember Harleys or tattoos before they became mainstream? All guys with tattoos riding Harleys were "dangerous bikers" in the minds of many people. Now they're very likely to be your accountant. The look and appearance of Harleys and guys in leather with/without tattoo have now been accepted by the general public. Sons of Guns, like the show or not, is helping get "Evil Black Rifles" accepted by the general public.
The Harley-Davidson craze started long before Biker Build-Off and the rest of the "biker" shows on Discovery Channel, but your point is still valid. If anything, Sons of Guns, Top Shot, 3 Gun Nation, et al, are an acknowledgement by the media that there is money to be made in TV shows about guns. Without eyeballs, there are no ads, and without ads, there are no shows. We can talk about how good/bad these shows are for gun rights, but those shows are there to make money first and foremost. And judging by how similar shows are popping up all over the place, they do.

DukeNukem
August 7, 2011, 06:48 PM
Anyone know what happened to Mrs. Hayden? There's never been mention of Stephanie's mother on the show.

If you enjoyed reading about "Oh, no! New TV Gun Show Season" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!