.357 Magnum, Hornady FTX LEVERevolution, 140 Grain Jacketed Bullet

PDA

kemper
July 13, 2011, 12:26 PM
Has anyone tried this ammo in a revolver. Advertised to shoot flatter and up to 250 fps faster than other 357 ammo. Sounds like it would make a good and flat shooting hunting round. Anyone comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about ".357 Magnum, Hornady FTX LEVERevolution, 140 Grain Jacketed Bullet" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
buck460XVR
July 13, 2011, 02:25 PM
IMHO....a waste of monies in a revolver. For deer, I suggest 158gr or heavier in either a JSP/JFP or cast.

springfield30-06
July 13, 2011, 03:10 PM
IMHO....a waste of monies in a revolver. For deer, I suggest 158gr or heavier in either a JSP/JFP or cast.

I agree with that statement. I personally would go for a 158gr or 180gr HP/SJHP/JSP for handgun hunting. The LeverRevolution rounds were specifically designed for lever rifles.

357 Terms
July 13, 2011, 04:02 PM
I bought a box of 100. I was relly impressed with how well they held together at the speed my Marlin shot them (1700fps) they penetrated really well. The only thing is that I had to trim my brass to acomodate the COAL, a bit of a pain. That said, I stuck with my 180grn XTP's. Why change a good thing?

kludge
July 14, 2011, 11:02 AM
Marketing gibberish. 250fps faster than what?

Walkalong
July 14, 2011, 06:57 PM
250 FPS faster from a rifle maybe.

Seven For Sure
July 14, 2011, 09:59 PM
Slow burning powder for 16" + barrels. The bullets are very similar to XTP's as most of Hornady's HP handgun cartridge offerings are but with some pointy rubber type filler for better aerodynamics. They work very well from what I've heard but not worth the high cost from a revolver IMO. You're not supposed to leave them loaded in a mag tube for extended periods because the rubber tips will deform under the pressure. Leaving the chamber loaded with one would be fine though.

wow6599
July 14, 2011, 11:09 PM
I want to try a few loads using them in my 1894. I'm thinking it would turn the little Marlin into a true 100 yard deer rifle.

Ratshooter
July 14, 2011, 11:44 PM
I personally think they are a gimmick and a waste of money. I would love to see a high speed photo of these in flight. I bet they are flat as a pancake from the pressure. The only thing that makes them shoot flatter is that they are loaded hotter. John Barsness stated "nothing flattens trajectory like velocity". But in handgun I suspect there are better rounds to buy.

If you want flat shooting then load as hot as you dare. But these are short range rounds anyway and all these do is trick you out of your money. Its like an $8 fishing lure. It catches fishermen not fish. I will take a one dollar H&H spinner any day.

Wow6599 your little Marlin is already a 100 yard rifle. Brian Pearce did an article on these guns in the April 2006 issue of Rifle magazine (IIRC) and I suggest you get a copy from Wolf publishing and read a well written article that will have you looking at your 357 Marlin in a whole new light. By the way, mine is my all time favorite gun.

DWFan
July 15, 2011, 06:25 AM
The 140gr XTP has the same ballistic coefficient as the FTX and the XTP with 15.0-15.2gr of AA#9 in standard length cases will duplicate the LEVERevolution velocity. The FTX will work in a revolver but the blast from the barrel gap can deform or even melt the plastic tips. Fast is relative; the 180gr Buffalo Bore WLN-GC launches at nearly the same velocity and a 173gr Lyman #358429 SWC can be handloaded to the same velocity. Both are better for deer. As a note, the long-nose #358429 SWC seated to its crimp groove in the shorter LEVERevolution brass should measure approx. 1.62" overall.
In a rifle, the maximum velocity recommended by Hornady is 1900 fps.

(Load data for the 140gr XTP is from Accurate Arms v3-2 on-line guide.)

Lawdawg45
July 15, 2011, 07:28 AM
"Has anyone tried this ammo in a revolver."

Kemper, I carry the .45 Colt version in my 7 1/2 inch Vaquero each Deer season, but the shot has never presented itself. I have used the round in my Henry lever action, and they shoot very well. In practice I'll usually have a 6 inch group at 50 yards with iron sights. I'd also look at the Buffalo Bore line if I were you.;)

LD45

hq
July 15, 2011, 08:49 AM
I personally think they are a gimmick and a waste of money. I would love to see a high speed photo of these in flight. I bet they are flat as a pancake from the pressure. The only thing that makes them shoot flatter is that they are loaded hotter.

Could well be. I've taken 200yd+(+) instantly killing shots with .45-70 LeverEvolution ammo and while knowing the trajectory is still a major issue, bullet drop is quite a bit less than with regular - slower - 400gr loads. All in all they seem to do their job quite well, while not being the be-all end-all improvement marketing hype suggests.

I'd be interested in trying them in .357 in my 1894C. There's little chance they'll extend the range much but any improvement is good in my book.

As far as handgun hunting is concerned, I still prefer JHP/JSP bullets, loaded fairly hot with the shorter barrel length in mind.

kludge
July 15, 2011, 11:06 AM
I want to try a few loads using them in my 1894. I'm thinking it would turn the little Marlin into a true 100 yard deer rifle.

180gr XTP with a full load of 2400, No.9, or H110 (W296) is already a 100 yard deer rifle. (or subtitiute you favorite 170-190 LSWC)

180gr XTP has a better BC than the 140gr FTX so it retains energy better at range. The 158gr does too.

Loading with the FTX means you have to trim the cases, which means you have to lower the powder charge to stay under pressure, which means less performance. More work, more expensive bullets, less performance. Three strikes, you're out.

The FTX works for rifle bullets, no gimmick there, but for pistols, I can't see the logic.

kemper
July 16, 2011, 03:53 PM
Sounds like nothing to be gained in a 4 inch S&W Model 19 that I carry when deer/hog hunting in the fall. I may go ahead and buy a couple of boxes to use in my Marlin 1894 lever rifle. thanks again

Pyro
July 16, 2011, 08:43 PM
Some non-scientific data.
Part 1:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRRrvL4b45g
Part 2:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CYyRpWZNww

rcmodel
July 17, 2011, 01:30 PM
I'd question whether "flatter" has any application on a hunting revolver.

A .357 already shoots flat enough to hit anything you can hit with open sights or a low power scope.

I do see some potential advantage in a rifle however.

rc

357Shooter
July 17, 2011, 06:55 PM
Can someone explain the case trimming? I wrote to Hornady and they did help much, they said if it feeds it should be fine. I was asking about the load for my Marlin 1894 (2002 Production)

kludge
July 17, 2011, 07:31 PM
To put the point on the tip, they made the tip of the bullet longer. If you load it to the cannelure it can be too long to feed in some actions, or in a revolver it could be too long to close the cylinder.

Trimming the cases usually fixes the issue. On Hornady's website look for the FTX Load button, and in the data sheets they give recommended trim lengths.

Clifford
July 17, 2011, 09:46 PM
+1 Ratshooter, I was interested in the bullet when it first came out but after actually handling one, I doubt that the nose of the bullet stays even remotely pointed during flight. I handload 99% of all my centerfire cartridges, but I'm not above buying factory loaded ammo, if it delivers performance above what I can homebrew.

I used to buy Winchester 55 grain ballistic silver tips for my old Remington 788 in .223. I mostly used the rifle for coyotes and fox hunting. I found that not only did the bullet perform perfectly on the animals (it would drop even a big coyote instantly, even a quartering shot and I had even shot a fox, broadside at only 30 feet away and the bullet did not exit. Keep in mind that a small fox out here is only about 4 inches wide thru the ribs), leaving the pelts in good shape with only one small entrance hole. It was also an exceptionally accurate load in that rifle, giving 100 yard, 5 shot groups that could be covered with a quarter and that is no internet exaggeration. Remarkably accurate, it was.

I would spend $80-$100 bucks to try a couple boxes of their factory loaded ammo. I suspect the real flatter shooting performance comes from a slightly lighter than "normal" bullet, combined with the "super powders" they are using to get the velocities higher than normal. If the trajectories are improved by say 10%-20% over conventional loads and the accuracy is acceptable I would consider buying them for hunting purposes.

pikid89
July 17, 2011, 10:55 PM
i think the main advantage of the LEVERevolution bullets is the fact that they can be made more aerodynamic (pointy) than normal lever gun rounds in a tube magazine

in a revolver...whats the point

Owen Sparks
July 18, 2011, 06:57 PM
Isn't it true that Hornady warns against leaving these rounds loaded in a rifle tube for extended periods? If so that disqualifies them for HD use in a lever action.

If you enjoyed reading about ".357 Magnum, Hornady FTX LEVERevolution, 140 Grain Jacketed Bullet" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!