3rd book in a series begun on THR - MONSTER HUNTER ALPHA - out July 26th

PDA

Correia
July 13, 2011, 05:47 PM
For those of you unfamiliar with the story, inspired by a Lawdog thread on TFL about lines he'd like to hear in a horror movie someday, back in 2006, and fueled by a love of guns and b-movies, I wrote and self published a little book called Monster Hunter International.

I took horror movie situations, and rather than the regular protagonists that scream, run, and get eaten, I populated the book with people like us. This book was written for all of the folks that watch horror movies and find themselves yelling at the screen "Just get a gun and shoot the friggin' monster already!" :)

Because I wrote it for a forumite audience and packed it with guns and explodey goodness, of course, no publishing houses wanted to buy it, so I self published back in '08 and sold it pretty much just to THR members.

The little gun-forum-book-that-could blew up huge. Long story short, I got a real publishing contract, and a couple of years later the sequel, Monster Hunter Vendetta, was a New York Times bestseller. The company that did the Walking Dead on AMC has bought the rights to make a TV show (nothing new there yet). And I'm one of the 5 finalists for this year's John W. Campbell Award for best new writer. As of the end of this year I'll have 6 books published and I'm under contract for 17 more in 5 different series.

Since Monster Hunter started here, I asked the mod's permission to post a head's up here in GD. The 3rd Monster Hunter book comes out in a couple of weeks.

For those of you that have read the first two, this book is about Earl Harbinger. So it is darker than the Owen Pitt books. The whole story takes place over one night during a blizzard in northern Michigan. And I won't say anything else to avoid spoilers.

Free sample chapters are here: http://www.webscription.net/p-1416-monster-hunter-alpha.aspx And you will be able to get the eBook for your Nook or Kindle from that same link. (the whole eBook should be up right before the release date)

If you want autographed copies, I'm mailing a stack of signed bookplate stickers to Uncle Hugos. http://www.unclehugo.com/prod/ah-correia-larry.php

Otherwise it is available from Amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1439134588/ref=s9_simh_gw_p14_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1GFS8AB9QVYQQVEPJ0QC&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846 or Barnes & Noble or most bookstores.

I'm really hoping this one gets onto the bestseller lists, because it really ticks off the literati snob types to have gun-nut-monster-pulp do so well. Why yes, I do love to succeed just to spite people. :D

If you enjoyed reading about "3rd book in a series begun on THR - MONSTER HUNTER ALPHA - out July 26th" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
freyasman
July 13, 2011, 06:08 PM
Hey, just wanted to let you know, I freaking LOVED the first 2 MH books! I really dug Hard Magic, too, and I can't wait to buy MHA. Keep 'em coming!

Mick_W
July 13, 2011, 06:32 PM
Wasn't Alpha already available on the Baen website? I purchased it and read it back on June 1.

Great read will be picking up a hard copy as well for the collection, great work and keep it up. :)

v8stang289
July 13, 2011, 07:32 PM
My copy has been preordered. Everything you've written so far has been awesome.If you write it I will buy it.
-Matt

Jeb21
July 13, 2011, 07:57 PM
Great news I look forward to reading the new novel.

Correia
July 13, 2011, 08:26 PM
The eARC has been out for a bit. That's the early, not quite all proof-read, little bit more expensive version. :)

Jrsmith
July 13, 2011, 08:42 PM
Holy crap! I'd been off and on (mostly off) of THR for years now and totally forgot you were writing that (the first one)! I remember reading an exceprt and deciding I had to get it, and totally slipped my mind.

Consider some of your work bought as soon as I get home from work tonight.

ps. I love webscription.net and baen books in general.

sixgunner455
July 13, 2011, 10:34 PM
less that two more weeks! (sitting on hands, bouncing up and down)

Mick_W
July 13, 2011, 11:53 PM
The eARC has been out for a bit. That's the early, not quite all proof-read, little bit more expensive version.

Okay, I gotcha. No wonder there were a few typos/grammar mishaps. Still a great read, Might read it again when I get the hard copy. But I really do enjoy your work.

Catshooter
July 14, 2011, 12:08 AM
Larry! OMG! I've been away from THR for a while (I was totally disgusted with the split) and I had no idea you've seen such sucesss! This is fantastic for you (and us your readers).

I bought MHI when you self-published it, read it immediatley and loved it.

Thank you for the link to Uncle Hugo's. I just used it to buy MHI 2 & 3 and Hard Magic. What a treat this'll be for me. I am so thrilled by your sucess, that is wonderful.

Please never stop writting. As long as you don't get stuck into 'formula writting' I will buy whatever you write for as long as I'm alive.

Thanks.

Cat

8654Maine
July 14, 2011, 12:25 PM
Larry,

You're MHI books are awesome. Congratulations on your success.

Eagerly await the 3rd installment. I suspect non-stop adrenaline rush.

Dimis
July 14, 2011, 01:19 PM
YES YES YES YES YES!!!!! I didnt think it came out till august now its hitting us early WHOOHOO.

Larry I too hope you hit a best seller and I REALLY hope you just keep writing MHI books

to be honest Im not a big reader of stories most of the things I read are informational but I love your books

so in the very short list of authors I read you made the list which is pretty much just you and steven hunter lol

saltydog452
July 14, 2011, 05:09 PM
Do you have time to play?

Stuff like zip lines and 10 rds per second firepower? All work and no play makes jack and jack pays the bills, but you just gotta have some fun and burn at least a little powder.

Good on you Larry. Thanks.

salty

DAP90
July 14, 2011, 09:43 PM
Too weird, I just ordered the first one yesterday based on an Amazon recommendation due to other purchases.

I was buying my son a toy bow (hes 3 but you have to start them early) and Amazon thought I might like your series. They had all three for sale or preorder but I only bought the first to see if I liked it.

I took horror movie situations, and rather than the regular protagonists that scream, run, and get eaten, I populated the book with people like us. This book was written for all of the folks that watch horror movies and find themselves yelling at the screen "Just get a gun and shoot the friggin' monster already!"

Im happy to read that. Some bad decisions I understand like going after family even when its hopeless or extremely dangerous but man do most characters make awful, bizarre and annoying decisions in these types of books.

dogmush
July 14, 2011, 10:31 PM
I pre-ordered mine from Hugo's a while ago. Looking forward to it.

But what are you doing posting on here? Don't you have like 10 other books to write for us? Get back to work! [/whip crack]

Henry Bowman
July 14, 2011, 10:31 PM
Larry, my daughter psyched to hear this!

pikid89
July 14, 2011, 10:34 PM
Correia...whens you and nightcrawler's book coming out?

230therapy
July 14, 2011, 11:17 PM
Great...another book I have to buy.

Can't wait.

JohnBiltz
July 14, 2011, 11:23 PM
Correia...whens you and nightcrawler's book coming out? Septemeber 27 according to Amazon

Millwright
July 15, 2011, 12:34 AM
Any of them available on Kindle ? >MW

MikeNice
July 15, 2011, 05:20 AM
I was planning on buying some targets from Amazon to save a little cash. The shipping was holding me back though.

So, thank you. Now I can buy your book and save even more with free shipping. Your books really are more than entertainment. They are an economic stimulus plan all their own. :p

theken206
July 15, 2011, 05:56 AM
Nice, just got done reading the first one and Hard Magick. Took me three days lol.
About to read MHV next.

AKPastor
July 15, 2011, 05:57 AM
I love the MHI books. A fellow shooter told me about them. I tore through the first two. I have this one on pre-order. I love being able to enjoy a good book without cringing from the author's obvious lack of knowledge concerning firearms.

Thanks for your work.

Caddisflied
July 15, 2011, 06:31 AM
Congrats on your success! And thanks for posting this.
It's the first I'd heard of these books.
I was glad to see that these are also available at audible.com.
I will be reading these (or listening to them), and I know several other people who will enjoy them as well.

KevinB
July 15, 2011, 09:24 AM
Mr. Correia,

I've just ordered copies of the first two monster hunter books. I've been a THR member for several years and a lurker even longer. I keep meaning to try some of your work and I'm excited to finally do it and support a fellow THR member. Good luck with your newest book.

Correia
July 15, 2011, 12:07 PM
But what are you doing posting on here? Don't you have like 10 other books to write for us? Get back to work! [/whip crack] Actually, I've got 17 books under contract to write. No. That's not a typo. :D

My books are available for the Kindle and Nook, but you need to get them from www.baen.com and you download them from Webscriptions. (cheaper than Amazon and no DRM)

And I'm really excited for Dead Six to come out (the Nightcrawler book we wrote here on THR). Mike is going to be in Afghanistan during the release, but he's already signed a bunch of bookplates, so we're still going to have signed copies to sell through Uncle Hugos.

BTR
July 15, 2011, 02:36 PM
Correia, I really enjoyed your first two.

I especially love the fact that you set the books around in an area I am familiar with.

Dimis
July 20, 2011, 03:09 AM
be nice to see them visit the small state grants family supposedly owns lol
maybe pick up a nice young zombie killer named Dimis or something ;)

JohnBT
July 20, 2011, 03:30 PM
"out July 26th"

Ah, what a glorious day that will be. Your book and Joss Stone's new album.

Baba Louie
July 20, 2011, 03:32 PM
MHI and MHV, superb.
Grimnoir BkI Hard Magic, excellent.

Re-read each of them in prep for MHA's arrival (pre-ordered both it and Deep Six).

Looking forward to it's arrival... hopefully next week (Amazon, so who knows?)

Keep them coming Corriea. Any idea of ETA for Ringo collaboration?

snorko
July 20, 2011, 04:08 PM
I also enjoyed the first two in the series, still kicking myself for not getting the original hardcover with patch. I spotted a paperback copy of MH Vendetta at my local library and grinned. I also was surprised to find [U]Hard Magic[U] at Barnes & Noble, I had not heard of it and loved it. Third book ordered.

Flintlock Tom
July 20, 2011, 07:03 PM
Pre-ordered a month ago.
Could you please do a tongue-in-cheek book/short story about monsters who like to eat politicians? And the MHI crew are really, really slow to respond?

Loved the first Grimnoir novel, too.

Patriotme
July 20, 2011, 07:49 PM
I can't wait for this book to come out. It's great having someone that actually knows guns write a book without screwing up all of the gun stuff. Your books get passed around among all of the righties in my family and a few friends (of course I'm sure you'd rather they buy their own). Keep up the good work and keep them coming.

Correia
July 23, 2011, 01:08 PM
It is shipping now. :) And in the top 300 out of 6,000,000 books on Amazon.

theken206
July 23, 2011, 05:10 PM
Awesome! :)

monet61
July 23, 2011, 07:26 PM
:cool:
Love the stories. I'm very glad for you. Finally something fun and funny to read. All the best.

Correia
July 24, 2011, 11:37 AM
I've got 2 book signings on Saturday for the native Utahns. 12-2 at Jordan Landing B&N and 4-8 at Layton B&N.

FIVETWOSEVEN
July 25, 2011, 11:49 AM
That deal you signed with that TV company, its gonna be a series when its actually airs or is it gonna be a movie?

Correia
July 25, 2011, 12:15 PM
TV show. I've sold the rights, but now it is pretty much out of my hands.

Devonai
July 25, 2011, 12:31 PM
I'm looking forward to MHA and Dead Six! As for the TV show, much had been said about a possible transformation into something other than your original vision. I would be pretty nervous about the production company "ruining" your story/characters, but I would have also signed the deal.

I've always been told that you may have to do what you have to do now, then when you have the gravitas (NYT best-seller lists notwithstanding) you can be more hands-on about a future TV project. Perhaps you'll end up as a co-producer after all, though.

FIVETWOSEVEN
July 25, 2011, 02:35 PM
Are you gonna be writing more for the series or are they gonna take it further in the direction they chose? Cause I don't want to see no pansy vampire love story like Twilight emerge out of this series.

Correia
July 25, 2011, 06:42 PM
I've got a contract to write at least another 4 MH books. What happens with the TV show though, absolutely no idea.

When you are Steven King level, you can tell the TV producers what they can and can't do. For the rest of us, not so much. :) That said, George R.R. Martin had the #1 Fiction book in the country this year. Not fantasy, #1 FICTION. So having a TV show tie in to one of your books can be pretty friggin' sweet. Fingers crossed on MHI actually going into production.

doubleh
July 25, 2011, 07:52 PM
I was killing time Saturday in Walmart while the wife was grocery shopping. I moseyed down to the books & magazines and there it was. I just finished one of Keith Laumer's Bolo books and I will dive into your's a little later today. Keep 'em coming and I'll keep buying them.

Correia
July 25, 2011, 09:30 PM
Wow, Walmart? Sweet. Believe it or not, Walmart is the biggest book seller in the country. Getting picked up by their buyers is very nice.

AKPastor
July 26, 2011, 05:54 AM
MHA arrived in the mail today. I read it all. Absolutely wonderful. The ending has me slavering for the next one. The character development of Earl was superb.

I especially enjoy reading someone that actually knows firearms. I loved reading that Earl had to have his GI issue Thompson worked on by Milo to accept drums. That's a technical point that is good for a gun guy to see in print.

Texas Gun Person
July 26, 2011, 05:56 AM
Oh wow. I was actually looking at one of your books earlier on Amazon. Not aware you were a member on here. :o

I am reading The Wheel of Time series right now. Once they are done, or I get bored reading such a long series, I shall pick your first one up. :)

Correia
July 26, 2011, 09:55 PM
The guy finishing up the Wheel of Time is a friend of mine. Really good writer too.

Well, today is the official release date. MHI is now in stores everywhere. The audio book is up on audible.com too.

TCB in TN
July 26, 2011, 10:47 PM
Ordered mine Sunday, was shipped yesterday, hope to be holding it by Thurs. Loved the first two, and ready to get #3!

JohnBT
July 27, 2011, 09:21 AM
I stopped at B&N yesterday and bought a copy. I only had time to read 30 pages, but I'm hooked.

A strange thing about B&N, they had the first 2 books on the new paperbacks stand in the aisle by the front door, but no MHA. They were on the top row of the stand, too. Waaay in the back of the store I found 3 copies of MHA. Somebody goofed.

At 6 p.m. they only one copy left of Joss Stone's LP1 album that came out yesterday. It looked so lonely there in the big display by the headphones. And then there were none. :)

I bought a Double Gun Journal and a sandwich to go and called it a day. A very good day.

Apple a Day
July 27, 2011, 09:37 AM
Got mine the other day. I read it. Outstanding. It's the horror flick we all want to see/read. You don't need to read the other two to enjoy the heck out of it but it helps. There are tie-ins with the other previous books and this one provides enrichment/back story for the others. It all ties together which is the kind of really good craftsmanship you wish more writers displayed (I say this specifically because my wife is streaming 'Lost' and the writers keep pulling random junk out of their orifices. I just can't watch it.)
If you haven't read it yet, go get it. Correia redefines the werewolf genre, adds to the lore with the sensibilities of a hunter... the complete opposite of what the Twilight series did with vampires.
Did I mention that there's a recoilless rifle? And a Mosin o' Death?
I'm looking forward to seeing what happens when Loco runs into Pitt and figures out that he's the dude who beat his eye out.
Cheers,
Apple

SVT93
July 27, 2011, 11:11 PM
Just finished the new book, think I need to reread the first two over. Love the series.

danprkr
July 28, 2011, 02:05 PM
This thread worked, BTW. I'd forgotten about you until it cropped up. Now I'm about 20% through it on my kindle, and so far so good. Not real fond of the flashing back and forth, but don't know how else you could do it, and that's just a personal preference. I'd rather have had a historical account of the character in one run, and then another book or section or whatever worked. But that's just me wanting to be lazy and not have to think backward and forward.

freyasman
July 28, 2011, 03:04 PM
Hey....write faster.

FourTeeFive
July 28, 2011, 03:15 PM
Great to see your success!

GBExpat
July 29, 2011, 07:26 PM
Thanks for the Heads-Up, and the Amazon link ... and, especially, for the BOOKS! :)

My copy is due to be delivered in Monday's Post.

Dr.Rob
July 30, 2011, 02:03 AM
Fantastic read! Great twists and action.

TCB in TN
July 31, 2011, 08:34 AM
Finished lat night, very good read, has quite a different feel from the 1st 2, it is a little darker I think, but is better written in a lot of ways. Enjoyed a lot of the tie in's to the 1st two stories also Stark, Loco, Earl's coat, etc. The journal was a good way to feed the back story in and personally I didn't have any trouble with you using it that way. I liked Earl in the other books, like him even better now. Especially like the Snow Blower from Hell! Really enjoyed it, now when is the next one coming??????? :D

Brian Williams
July 31, 2011, 09:27 AM
Hey, do ebook downloads count.

Correia
July 31, 2011, 11:54 AM
Not for the NYT. No big deal though. The important thing is that the readers enjoy it in whatever format they like. :) (I do make more money off of ebooks though, so it is all good)

JR47
July 31, 2011, 12:03 PM
I've been reading science fiction since the 1950s. You are an impressive writer, sir.

I've purchased all of your books, from the couple of series that you have going. Are you trying to be another John Ringo? With multiple series running? Or a David Weber? If so, you're in good company.

I await your next book.:)

mdauben
July 31, 2011, 02:24 PM
Just picked up a copy of the new book. I'm going to go back and re-read the first two and then the new one. :cool:

Dr.Rob
July 31, 2011, 03:07 PM
Now I want a Finnish Moisin with Baba Yaga bullets.

Catshooter
July 31, 2011, 04:52 PM
I got the Finnish Noisy Magnets now I have to read up and find out what Baba Yaga bulltes are all about!

Hope my books get here soon!

Cat

doubleh
August 1, 2011, 11:19 AM
I finished the new book day before yesterday. I found it to be quite a departure from the first two. It was a very enjoyable read so now I'm waiting on a fourth in the series.

Correia
August 1, 2011, 12:06 PM
The fourth is back to Owen's PoV.

And if you guys are interested, the eARC for Dead Six (the one written here on THR) is availalbe for download now: http://www.webscription.net/p-1484-dead-six-arc.aspx

funkerbunny
August 1, 2011, 12:23 PM
bought the ebook version and 2 hard copies (same as Ive done for all your releases so far, one for my laptop, one for when I cant have my laptop around and one to replace the other copy when I loan it out/lose it/read it to death) Keep up the awesome work !

longdayjake
August 1, 2011, 12:31 PM
Where is this one ranked in NYT?

TCB in TN
August 1, 2011, 01:15 PM
How much progress have you made on #4? Do you have any plans to flesh out the story behind "The Destroyer"? Sounds like there might be a good bit more to that story.....

Correia
August 1, 2011, 07:31 PM
Where is this one ranked in NYT? If I make it at all (it is REALLY tough to get on there) I won't know until the end of this week.

How much progress have you made on #4? Do you have any plans to flesh out the story behind "The Destroyer"? Sounds like there might be a good bit more to that story..... Oh yes, there is more story there. :) I'm just working on#4 right now. The release date is not set yet.

longdayjake
August 1, 2011, 09:53 PM
If I make it at all (it is REALLY tough to get on there) I won't know until the end of this week.

Yeah right. Like you really expect to be excluded from that list. I am pretty sure your fan base hasn't gotten smaller since your last book made the NYT best seller. Your feigned humility is disgusting. :barf: :neener:

TCB in TN
August 1, 2011, 10:39 PM
Oh yes, there is more story there. I'm just working on#4 right now. The release date is not set yet.

:D For more about the Destroyer. :( About no near release date! But I understand, its just part of the creative process! ;)

BTW my oldest son is 17, and doesn't like to read a lot outside of school, but he has loved MHI, and Vendetta. Can't wait for him to get into Alpha, he is an absolute werewolf nut.

Correia
August 2, 2011, 12:03 AM
Your feigned humility is disgusting

:D

Oh, trust me. I'm not humble at all. It is just that getting on that list is really competitive, and a lot of it depends on who you are up against new in that same time period.

Plus, I had a couple of the big places jump the gun and ship a couple thousand pre-orders a week early... So that splits the numbers sold during the release week. That, combined with the competition on any give week, makes it interesting to say the least.

For example, there are 30 new releases in just my one genre alone during the month of July. And that's urban fantasy, which isn't that big compared to some others, like romance or thrillers. And the list is made up of the top 35 books sold that week across all of fiction.

My last book, Hard Magic, missed the list. The guy that was #35 only sold 12 more copies nationwide (on Nielsen Bookscan, which is like the Nielsen TV ratings, but for books). And I had about a thousand copies sold the week before the release. Ouch. Interestingly enough, that was the same week as Game of Thrones episode 2 on HBO and the new season of True Blood, and books from those two series were taking up 22 of the top 50 slots in all of Fantasy nationwide.

It is kind of like football. Even though you made the playoffs the year before don't mean you'll make it this year. You've still got to work it and hope for the best. The other teams might be having one hell of a year. Heck, MHA came out the same week as the new Dresden Files, so I already know who is winning the Superbowl. :D

Now, if I could get every single member of THR to buy Dead Six the week it comes out, it would be the #1 bestseller in the country. No. That isn't a typo. There are just that many posters here. :p Come on guys take one for the team!

FIVETWOSEVEN
August 2, 2011, 12:17 AM
I love the series! Can't wait for the 4th.

sidheshooter
August 2, 2011, 02:13 PM
Bought three of your books from you this summer (aunties); just got back to town and saw this thread! Love the first 2 MHIs; I'm off to order the new one! Very enjoyable reading! Keep it up...

ElKabong
August 2, 2011, 02:31 PM
Just finished MHV & MHA .....awesome read!

In the middle of Hard Magic now.... let's see .......

I lost count of the genre's blended in this one at about 6!
Yet, it's smooth and cohesive with a magic system that has rules (even if we don't know them all yet). For people my age that grew up playing D&D and other RPG's, this is the kind of book you can't put down.

Larry, if you still have a day job, quit it!

kentucky_smith
August 2, 2011, 03:51 PM
Got MHA on audible.com. now i just want to drive the tractor or lawnmower around to listen to it longer.

JohnnyOrygun
August 2, 2011, 09:04 PM
Read and loved MHI and MHV, was ordering some stuff from amazon and MHA was in my cart and available, so I ordered it. Came in yesterday about 11am and I finshed it today about 9:30am this morning . Couldn't put put it down!! Great read! Totally fantastic!

g00dv4rmint
August 3, 2011, 04:13 PM
I saw this thread on here and went out and bought the books and figured out how to get them to my Nook. I am eagerly awaiting the next releases!

Correia
August 3, 2011, 11:24 PM
Guess who just came in as #23 on the New York Time's bestseller list... Yeah... This guy. :D

FIVETWOSEVEN
August 3, 2011, 11:33 PM
Yeah, yeah, quit your bragging. :D

zdc1775
August 4, 2011, 01:33 AM
Larry your evil.I had read bits you had posted and when I saw this coming out it finally gave me an excuse to buy the series so I did. I read all three for the first time in about a week and now I'm just going to be sitting around waiting for Dead Six to hit shelves. Evil, Pure Evil. But they were great books and I am now going to be watching your site so I can pick up any new books. Keep it up

smitty704
August 4, 2011, 01:45 AM
Man, this stuff looks awesome! I have never read your stuff, but I plan to check it out. Keep em coming brother! By the way, I love the cover!!!!!!!

max popenker
August 4, 2011, 03:08 AM
Man, this stuff looks awesome!
believe me, it IS awesome ;)
I read all three MHI books, first of the Grimnoir series books plus an e-version of the Dead Six and loved it.
Larry is a great man and an excellent writer.

Catshooter
August 4, 2011, 09:04 AM
Twenty third! Good on ya man!

And they said it coulndn't be done.

Cat

longdayjake
August 4, 2011, 05:53 PM
Guess who just came in as #23 on the New York Time's bestseller list... Yeah... This guy.

No big surprise there. Well, at least for us. Good job. Also, its okay to feign just a tiny bit of humility. But nothing too disgusting. :)

FourTeeFive
August 5, 2011, 10:06 AM
Guess who just came in as #23 on the New York Time's bestseller list... Yeah... This guy.

Congratulations!

Ok, so I gotta ask... do you plan on keeping your day job? Sounds like you earned the status of "professional writer" a while ago.

Correia
August 5, 2011, 11:05 AM
I am doing well enough as a writer to just be a writer, but I actually love my day job. (military contracting). I'm really good at it, I get paid well, it is fun, and I actually love my company. Buuuuuuuuut that said I do plan on just being a full time writer, so the plan right now is to pay my mortgage off so that we are 100% debt free, then I'll quit my day job. So all the royalties have been going toward the house. I figure I've got another 2 years, give or take.

Catshooter
August 5, 2011, 11:11 AM
Man, that is so cool that you're seeing that level of sucess!

Cat

BossHogg
August 5, 2011, 11:39 AM
Man how cool is this. I get 2 Audible books a month and just got the two MHI for the month. I love book series and was thinking how long before another book in the series would be out. Well, I see the 3rd is now here, too cool. Glad to help with that retirement plan. Good Luck.

Queston, do you get to choose the narrator of your books on Audible.com?

When I search for books on Audible it's a 20 hour minimum. I see book 3 is just under that 20 hour minimum. ;)

saltydog452
August 5, 2011, 12:08 PM
Thank you Larry. You do good work.

salty

longdayjake
August 5, 2011, 12:19 PM
I figure I've got another 2 years, give or take.

Or you could just write another book really quick.

Correia
August 5, 2011, 03:56 PM
Audible picks them, not me. They picked Oliver Wyman for the MH books, and I think he absolutely nails them. His Mr. Trash Bags performance in MHV is seriously the most awesome audiobook performance ever. Bronson Pinchot was picked for Hard Magic, also did an excellent job.

Yes, sometimes when I'm too lazy to write, I will listen to my own audiobooks and paint miniatures. Because I'm a dork. :)

FourTeeFive
August 6, 2011, 06:34 PM
I am doing well enough as a writer to just be a writer, but I actually love my day job. (military contracting). I'm really good at it, I get paid well, it is fun, and I actually love my company. Buuuuuuuuut that said I do plan on just being a full time writer, so the plan right now is to pay my mortgage off so that we are 100% debt free, then I'll quit my day job. So all the royalties have been going toward the house. I figure I've got another 2 years, give or take.

Really great to hear you're doing so well. Here's to lots more success, and plenty of time write and do some fun firearm tinkering and shooting.

JohnnyOrygun
August 6, 2011, 11:41 PM
After having devoured MHA and wanting more, I ordered hardmagic, brown truck brought it Thursday and I finished it Friday afternoon, again, excellent job! You are a gifted writer. Can't wait for more.

MikeNice
August 27, 2011, 11:42 PM
I've got a contract to write at least another 4 MH books.

I just finished Alpha. May I kindly suggest you finish up those next four in a hurry.

You reminded me why I like discovering old authors like Raymond Chandler and Mickey Spillane. I don't have to wait for them to finish the next book. You're killing me over here Corriea.

In all seriousness. It was the first book I actually finished in months. I just haven't been able to sit through anything else. Great work.

Catshooter
August 28, 2011, 12:16 AM
Finished the Hunter #2, it was great.

Finished Hard Majic, now that was totally cool. Awesome, very much to my liking.

Thanks.

Cat

LiquidTension
August 28, 2011, 11:29 AM
I've read them all but Hard Magic, that's next on the list. I have to say that anyone who can integrate a sharktopus into a story gets a thumbs up from me.

harmon rabb
August 28, 2011, 06:12 PM
God damn, how did I miss that you (Correia) post on THR? I'm about halfway through Alpha right now, and I think it's excellent. The switch of the focus from Owen to Harbringer, as well as from 1st person to 3rd person, has helped make this book unique. Learning all about Harbringer's past through the journal flashbacks is a treat. I'm glad you included it.

Excellent job in everything you have written. I can't tell you how many times in the past I read other books and got annoyed at how the authors get the gun stuff all wrong, so when I picked up the first MHI book on a whim, I was hooked, oh, by about page 3. I think other authors in other genres could learn a lot from you.

You've got a reader for life in me.

P.S. We want to know more about Franks. I felt so dumb when we learned what he really is, given his name and all, but still.. would love to see more of his background. Might be a worthy book idea.

TCB in TN
August 28, 2011, 06:48 PM
Do you have titles for the next couple of MH books? I know you said we would find out more about Franks, and the next OZP book will obviously contain an epic battle against our friend from the end of Vendetta, but any more info would be greatly apprec. :D I also cannot wait to hear more of Heather's adventures, and more about Jason, and........ well just write faster!

liberalwithagun
August 28, 2011, 06:58 PM
The guy finishing up the Wheel of Time is a friend of mine. Really good writer too.

Well, today is the official release date. MHI is now in stores everywhere. The audio book is up on audible.com too.

Everyone should also pick up Brandon Sanderson's new series. He is the guy finishing up the Wheel of Time. The new series starts with "The Way of Kings".

As for the MH/Hard Magic books - Simply outstanding. Ran across MHI at Barnes and Noble one day. Read the book in under 36 hours. I have bought each of your books on release date. Well worth it. Really trying to hold off from buying the new Grimnoir series novel as the EARC.

Hk Paul
October 14, 2011, 10:51 AM
I am bumping this thread because I am about half-way though this book, and I have to say that this is the best MHI book yet. Its really need to see Larry progress as a writer, and the format to this book is fantastic. I can't wait until the next one!

Madcap_Magician
October 14, 2011, 11:09 AM
Great book.

Hard Magic was also outstanding... looking forward to seeing Spell Bound!

Glock22
October 19, 2011, 01:00 PM
I love the Monster Hunter books. I own all three of them.

farscott
October 29, 2011, 07:06 PM
I picked up "Monster Hunter Alpha" from the Baen site for my Sony Reader. The Reader also has the two previous books in the series.

Nice to see such a good guy make good. My personal memory of Larry was from the first STI group buy as that buy enabled me to get a hard chromed 9x19 TargetMaster. What a pistol from what a dealer!!!

rduckwor
October 29, 2011, 09:36 PM
Great books! I'm always sad when I finish one as I know its a long wait for the next one. L.C. is the Tom Clancy of monster hunting.

RMD

Deus Machina
November 7, 2011, 03:15 PM
Halfway through Alpha right now. Another great job, Larry! I'll be picking up Hard Magic as soon as this one's done.

Also: 'Special Task Force Unicorn?'

'STFU'? Really, Larry? ;)

geim druth
January 1, 2012, 07:05 PM
I just finished reading the first MHI book. Wow! What a read! I'm going to order the other books right away, and get another copy of the first book for my son.

If you enjoyed reading about "3rd book in a series begun on THR - MONSTER HUNTER ALPHA - out July 26th" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!