history is coming back...

PDA

Big Boy
July 13, 2011, 10:11 PM
I know that we may not all agree on the quality of these shows. Esspecialy when we are looking at them as "gunnies".

The point is, history channel's main, primetime shows, all now have to do with guns.

Top shot
Sons of guns
And new is one man army

Whether we agree with, or even like these shows, I've got to say to myself "damn, at least we're moving forward"

If you enjoyed reading about "history is coming back..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
slowr1der
July 14, 2011, 12:49 AM
Actually Top Shot is the only one on the History channel. Both Sons of Guns an One Man Army are on Discovery.

Ignition Override
July 14, 2011, 12:57 AM
Yes, but at least these very popular channels offer a vast exposure, and even hotels usually offer them.

This can be a random introduction which might not happen at home.

Swami
July 14, 2011, 01:44 AM
http://upload.bayoushooter.com/images/0dmtrgo7z9aivwjw7zn9.jpg

yeahbuddy
July 14, 2011, 02:21 AM
A TV show about guns is what got me thinking about getting one in the first place. I was watching some show and said to my wife that I think I want to get something for home defense.

On a side note I was going to join the NRA anyways because I am a libertarian and I like organizations that support individual liberties and the constitution. I had no interest in owning a gun at the time and never thought I would, but I thought it was important for other people to have the right to do so. Seeing that TV show kind of got me interested.

pockets
July 14, 2011, 07:42 AM
While not new...I enjoy History International channel's 'Guns Of The World' program.

hso
July 14, 2011, 07:46 AM
Not every show is directed at every segment of the shooting community, or any segment of the shooting community. They're all trying to capture a much larger market and as long as they "normalize" the view of firearms and firearms ownership they're helping in a culture war where the American public has only been shown firearms and firearms owners in a negative light.

M-Cameron
July 14, 2011, 07:46 AM
my absolute favorite gun program is "tales of the gun"......

i dont thing they air it on History anymore....but you can still catch it on History international or History military.

Jason_W
July 14, 2011, 08:53 AM
I'm awaiting the new season of Deadliest Warrior. Ah, to be paid for being a grown up 12-year-old.

USAF_Vet
July 14, 2011, 09:21 AM
History also reruns a lot of marksmanship shows, recreating fabled shots from history. I think it was only one or two episodes though. Too bad, because it was a lot of good shooting and a lot of history and none of the drama we have on Top Shot.

I like Top Shot, but could do without the "reality" drama and the creative editing.

Sons of Guns is decent, but more of the same "reality" drama I could do without. Show me the concept, build the thing and shoot it. Some of the 'characters' on the show are just silly, like the cigar puffing SWAT purchasing guy, who looks like he should be on the Soprano's.

I've not seen anything about 'One Man Army' but there was a show on History/ Discovery/ Military about a one man covert ops guy, and if it's anything like that show, I'll skip it.

Deadliest Warrior was cool, and I'll watch the new season, but I saw something online about DW, and if it's true, it'll turn me off to the show: Vampires Vs. Zombies or some such nonsense.

danweasel
July 14, 2011, 10:00 AM
I tried watching sons of guns for the first time last night. Do you think they lost any business by putting their "personalities" out there on TV? That show was grating.

The shooting in top shot is fun to watch but I had to give back my tivo and I doubt I'll be able to stand watching the psuedo-dramatic parts. I used to record it so I could watch the 5-10 minutes of actual shooting per episode (and the "elimination target" doesn't count).

One man army was on last night. Did anyone watch? I was watching a season with the San Francisco Giants at a buddies. Now THAT was a good show. But I love me some baseball, especially Giants baseball.

HOOfan_1
July 14, 2011, 10:08 AM
there was a show on History/ Discovery/ Military about a one man covert ops guy, and if it's anything like that show, I'll skip it.

Special Ops Mission on Military. I actually liked that show.

USAF_Vet
July 14, 2011, 10:20 AM
Special Ops Mission on Military. I actually liked that show.

That was it. I watched a couple episodes of that and it just seemed over the top campy. I did like the fact that he didn't always accomplish the mission and was 'killed'.

mgmorden
July 14, 2011, 10:42 AM
Haven't heard of one-man-army. Personally I'm not a fan at all of "Suns of Guns" because most of the stuff they work on is very much out of left field and not at all practical stuff. Just not what I'm interestedin, but then again I guess the ratings just wouldn't be there for them building a simple custom .30-06 bolt action or something :).

On the other hand, I LOVE Top Shot. Its what actually motivated me to go out and join USPSA and start shooting some matches.

GEM
July 14, 2011, 02:59 PM
The Tales of the Gun repeats and the gun shows on Wednesday's Outdoor Channel segments are the best, responsible gun shows - IMHO.

Reasonable techy stuff, SD and sporting tips. Not the soap opera crap that makes Sons of Guns and Top Shot look like Operation Repo (which is fake - who would have guessed - hint).

I wonder how many ships now mount that rocket launcher from SoG or how many vehicles in Afghanistan mount their turret.

USAF_Vet
July 14, 2011, 03:09 PM
I wonder how many ships now mount that rocket launcher from SoG or how many vehicles in Afghanistan mount their turret.

My guess, somewhere between zero and less than two.

Strykervet
July 14, 2011, 03:14 PM
Yes! One other person said it! The best gun shows are on Wednesdays ONLY on the Outdoor Channel! Those are gun shows for gun people.

M-Cameron
July 14, 2011, 03:19 PM

i saw that and laughed.....they were all saying how terrifying it was..

the thing shot bottle rockets....ive literally lit of larger fireworks in my back yard....

if any pirates, who are willing to take over a ship by force, hold hostage or possibly kill the crew.....are scared off by a few bottle rockets......you were never in any danger to begin with.

i could have saved that guy a few grand and built the same thing for $70 with nothing more than a trip to home depo, radio shack, and my local hobby shop.

i pray to god the buyers in that show are actors.....because if they intend to use these devices the way they are intended.....someone is going to be killed.

Ole Coot
July 14, 2011, 03:58 PM
I watch them all on Wed. night and am definatly not impressed with the self defense recommended. I was taught differently, the old F&S methods used during WWII and a little, very little I picked up in MA training in the 60s. I have my own methods and attitude as everyone should as the level of force I will use. The shooting is well worth watching and I just overlook some SD shown and hope everyone else does also.

RevDerb
July 14, 2011, 05:57 PM
So ... Does anyone know when Top Shot Season 3 is scheduled to start?

Big Boy
July 15, 2011, 01:58 PM
oops yeah I goofed. Two of the shows are on discovery.

One man army was pretty good. It's a competition. Check it out.

I agree that sons of guns is very very cheesy. Point is, It's nice to see so many prime time shows on National channels showing guns in a normal, no nonsense light.

SimplyChad
July 15, 2011, 02:02 PM
Yall are forgetting future weapons. The one the restarted prime time positive gun talk.

jdietz
July 15, 2011, 02:04 PM
I watched One Man Army and I was not impressed. I thought it would be more about firearms.

Owen Sparks
July 15, 2011, 03:29 PM
I grew up in the 1970's firearms were NEVER positively portrayed on TV unless it slipped by in a rerun of Daniel Boon or an old Western. Gun control themes were constantly pounded down our throats. We only had four channels and the idea of the big three networks or PBS airing a shooting show or a commercial for a guns or ammo was unthinkable. Now that we have cable the traditional networks are losing male viewers by the millions to The History and Discovery Channel as well as on demand movies. I never watch network TV anymore unless it is the local news or college football. I hate sit-coms and celebrity worship.

USAF_Vet
July 15, 2011, 04:17 PM
Yall are forgetting future weapons

Part of the problem with shows like this is that they are all reruns. I think I've seen every episode of Future Weapons, Weapon Masters, Ultimate Weapons, Etc. They show for maybe a full season if we're lucky, then we're relegated to watching reruns.

I saw that Richard 'Mack' Machowisz from Future Weapons is now a host on Deadliest Warrior, season 3

Jason_W
July 15, 2011, 05:07 PM
Deadliest Warrior was cool, and I'll watch the new season, but I saw something online about DW, and if it's true, it'll turn me off to the show: Vampires Vs. Zombies or some such nonsense.

It could be fun. Deadliest Warrior is kind of ridiculous, anyway. Entertaining none the less.

I am a bit jealous of what those guys get to do for a living.

wally
July 15, 2011, 05:58 PM
While not new...I enjoy History International channel's 'Guns Of The World' program.

my absolute favorite gun program is "tales of the gun"......

Yup, these two are by far the best of the breed, although they share some of the same archival footage and interviews.

Modern Marvels has had some good firearms related shows too.

The others are contrived "reality TV" shows, although it sure looks like Sons of Guns has some very nice stuff to play with, they say lots of dumb stuff about guns.

Future Weapons was a nice look at some stuff us citizens will never get to buy.

JN01
July 15, 2011, 06:28 PM
Speaking of "Tales of the Gun", I just purchased it on Amazon the other day. You can get the entire series box set for $19.95. :) http://www.amazon.com/Tales-Gun-Guns/dp/B001D3963K/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1310768647&sr=1-1

It's on sale at History Channel for $60, regular price is $130.

EddieNFL
July 15, 2011, 07:49 PM
i could have saved that guy a few grand and built the same thing for $70 with nothing more than a trip to home depo, radio shack, and my local hobby shop.

Yeah, but you don't have a TV show.

Lakeshore
July 15, 2011, 09:38 PM
Mail Call and Lock N' Load, with Lee Ermey, were two of my faves. I especially enjoyed the great slo-mo footage of Gunny blowin stuff up with various weapons.

GEM
July 16, 2011, 11:22 AM
National Geographic had a great show yesterday on the Barrett family and their rifles. How they were developed, continuing projects, etc. Interviews with the soldier who made the longest shot in Afghanistan.

A functional family, engineers who didn't look like you would scare them away from your daughter, etc.

That was a good show.

Owen Sparks
July 16, 2011, 11:26 AM
You would never have seen National Geographic do show about guns 20 years ago. Progress is being made.

If you enjoyed reading about "history is coming back..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!