Opinion Piece From Today

PDA

Air,Land&Sea
July 14, 2011, 11:41 PM
www.phillyburbs.com/blogs/politically_correct/ if you get a chance.

If you enjoyed reading about "Opinion Piece From Today" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sediment
July 17, 2011, 09:11 PM
Not a bad article... Kinda rehashing what most of us already knew but still worth sharing with people on the fence about guns.

alsaqr
July 18, 2011, 12:00 AM
That's a really good article, thanks for sharing.

Romeo 33 Delta
July 18, 2011, 12:24 AM
Thumbs up!

jrdale84
August 17, 2011, 12:22 AM
I don't know. The up side of the article is the review of laws and training for police but having listened to the audio what perked my attention was that the 'victim' regularly disobeyed the orders of the police on the onset.

Every open-carry activist site advocates the recorder thing but they also advocate following police instruction. The cop initially asks him to lay down and he [victim] starts launching questions and trying get and hand the cop his id. Had he simply laid down I am sure this would have gone another direction, probably with the cop apologizing on the spot.

Judging from the recorder turning on and not catching the initial meeting odds are he was fishing around in his pockets to turn on the recorder. Audio alone can't tell us all the details. I don't know about you but when I open carry my wallet is right next to my Glock. Whats that mean if I have to reach next to my handgun to get my ID. Audio will only catch the cop telling me to stop because the audio can't see that I am looking like I am about to draw on a cop.

Should you be harassed by Law Enforcement for doing something you have every right to do? No. Should you be required to lay on the ground in that process? No, except the state law does say Police may do that while identifying someone's legal status to carry openly in the city [in PA]. So yea, just like I don't think I should be required to pass background checks every time I buy a firearm (here in CO) the law permit's it so I have to do it. That's life.

We can't tout the double standard. No one would be upset if the cops swore like that to one of the 9/11 hijackers or some street thug trying to 'bust a cap'. Sometimes we forget that when a cop walks up to us they don't know if we are Johny Law Abiding Citizen or the street thug. Not every Mafia mobster wears a sweat suit and not every street thug a `76ers jersey and low shorts. Wohoo the guy was dressed 'nicely'. Ever been to Center City in Philly?

It's all in the audio - the cop asks him to stop moving his hands, to calm down, to get on his knees ... and he keeps having to ask which means its not happening.

Yes, it's a bad thing that happened, but at some point someone has to assess to a degree he didn't initially follow simple police instruction, he played a part in the escalation of the situation as well (which is probably the logic the DA applied in not lifting the charges). Every time this situation ends with the Cop getting shot I doubt anyone here will say "well had the cop not told the guy to stop he would still be alive..."

StumpBender
October 12, 2011, 07:28 AM
They must have changed the link, I couldn't find it. The videos didn't work either, I heard the exchange, couldn't see anything. I used to live in Pa., only way to OC, was if you were walking, you would probably still get arrested, your defense would be "no precedence". Thing's might have changed, ain't been there in a looooong time.

If you enjoyed reading about "Opinion Piece From Today" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!