Powder for both pistol & rifle?

PDA

BBDartCA
July 16, 2011, 09:24 PM
Are there any powders that can be used for 38, 357 and 30-06?

Ive here No 6, 7 and 2400 can be used in all.

If you enjoyed reading about "Powder for both pistol & rifle?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bluetopper
July 16, 2011, 09:32 PM
Yes, but you'll get very poor performance out of the 30-06, and can be quite dangerous if you put too much in the big 30-06 case.
Powder is the cheapest component in reloading. Get the powder made for the application/caliber.

parker51
July 16, 2011, 10:14 PM
Curious to where you heard that 2400 can be used in 30-06. I had asked Alliant if 2400 could be used in rifle reloads and was told that it was primarily for Magnum pistol loads and the 22 Hornet. I've got about 6 lbs. of the old Hercules 2400 I would love to use in a rifle load but can't find anyone using it except for cast boolits.

243winxb
July 16, 2011, 10:44 PM
Trail Boss, see Hodgdons website. http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp Link to PDF file at Hodgdon with more info on Trail Boss. http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/Trail-Boss-data.pdf

Sam1911
July 16, 2011, 11:04 PM
Ive here No 6, 7 and 2400 can be used in all.
Sounds like someone's trying to get you to blow up a gun!

Powders for large-case rifle cartridges burn slowly. Powders for small handgun cartridges burn relatively fast. There are probably at least 10 different gun powders that would work safely for each cartridge you want to load, but there isn't much overlap between big rifles and handguns.

(I assume you were meaning IMR's HS-6?) HS-6 is a good mid-range handgun powder which will work great in .38/.357. Accurate's No. 7 is better in the .357 as it is a hair too slow for .38s unless you want "+P" heavier loads.

Keep these away from rifle cartridges!

Alliant's 2400 is a slow handgun powder good for magnum loads in .357, .44 Mag, etc. It also does well in the little .30 Carbine cartridge, which is a rifle caliber, but is really more of a fast, light handgun round.

2400 HAS indeed been used by some folks for building up very reduced-recoil loads with cartridges like .30-'06. We're talking about a light bullet and going very slowly. Like might be fun for your young kids to get to shoot the big rifle without the recoil. If you were to make such up, make very sure you know what you're doing. Research those loads and follow the recipes you find carefully.

zxcvbob
July 16, 2011, 11:09 PM
Red Dot powder will work in anything if you use the right amount, and usually gives great accuracy. You're going to really hate its performance tho' in .30-06 and .357.

Buy a pound of Unique or 231 for the .38 and .357, and a pound of rifle powder (Varget?) for the .30-06 and you'll be a lot happier.

Sam1911
July 16, 2011, 11:09 PM
Here's a thread from castboolits that might shed some light: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=13425

I worked up equivalent charges to obtain the desired velocity ranges with modern powders, which provide a sound basis for loading cast bullets in any post-1898 military rifle from 7mm to 8mm:

3. 170-180 grain gas checked "200 yard target", 1500-1600 f.p.s., 16 grains of Hercules #2400 or equivalent.

I've never tried that kind of reduced load, but it seems popular.

BBDartCA
July 16, 2011, 11:16 PM
Trail Boss is like the 5744 which is used in '06 for "reduce youth loads.

243winxb
July 16, 2011, 11:21 PM
I have used 2400 with jacketed bullets & cast in 30-06, but there is no data listed for jacketed bullets that i know of. Not a safe practice for new reloaders. IMO

ArchAngelCD
July 17, 2011, 03:34 AM
Trail Boss is probably the only powder that's safe in all 3 calibers you want to load. Other than that I would not try to use a handgun powder in a rifle caliber, especially a large case like the 30-06...

If you're looking for a good powder for reduced rifle loads give SR 4759 a try but don't try using it in handgun ammo.

kingmt
July 17, 2011, 08:25 AM
I've never used it but by its burn rate it stands a good chance of working grate in all three. Like said above it probably isn't the best choice for the beginner. You need to study up on it a bit first & learn about burn rates & reading pressure signs. Remimber it's better to stick a bullet then blow up a gun. If you pull the trigger & hear nothing expect there is a bullet stuck in the barrel(always until proven otherwise). If I was working it up(you will have to make your own judgments) for 30-06 considering where it falls in burn rate I would start at 6gr & expect it to max around 20gr. At 6gr it may be to light of a charge to get accuracy but it is a starting point that should get the bullet out of the barrel without blowing it up. These are NOT reduced loads. They are reduced recoil. The pressure is still very high.

You can probably find published data for .357 but .38 your probably on your own.

Mal H
July 17, 2011, 11:15 AM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned IMR-4227. There are published loads (Lyman has the most) for all 3 of the calibers mentioned using that powder. I've used it in both of the handgun calibers, and in light loads using cast bullets in a .270 Win (similar characteristics to a 30-06). However, like 243winxb said, there is no data for jacketed bullets in 30-06, only use cast bullets.

Overkilll0084
July 17, 2011, 11:30 AM
Not trying be a PITA, but why? Just because? While you can find a powder that will work to some degree, it will be a poor compromise, at least where the rifle is concerned.
If your just looking for light 30-06 loads w/ cast bullet, Unique will work as well. It will work really well in both handgun calibers. 2400 for .38 special wouldn't be my first choice for anything but +P.
Check the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook.

popper
July 17, 2011, 03:55 PM
I use Unique in several 30-30 loads ( half-jacket plinker and 170 CB), but keep getting comments to change to 2400, which is just a tad slower. I haven't used it for FMJ loads.

Walkalong
July 17, 2011, 07:23 PM
Basically no, pistol powders are much too fast to be used in .30-06, and absolutely no as far as full power .30-06 is concerned. If you go loading .30-06 with #6 (whatever that is) or #7 (Assuming Accurate #7), you are very likely to blow yourself up.

As far as "pistol" powders being used in rifle reloading, for the most part the answer is no, but there is some overlap at the top end of calibers like .44 Mag and small rifle calibers like .22 Hornet. (2400, IMR4227)

A powders burn speed makes it suitable or unsuitable for any given application, no matter whether it is considered a "pistol" powder or a "rifle" powder.

Powder is just powder. Some burn rates are suitable for pistol, some are suitable for rifle, and a very few can be used, to some extent, in both.

kingmt
July 18, 2011, 10:48 AM
It is out of the norm but fast powders has its place the rifle also. If your not using it then you don't know the full extent of what your rifle is capable of.

The quest as long as I've been old enough to talk guns has been the same as cars HOW FAST CAN IT GO. Fast isn't everything. If you slow a bullet down then you get better penetration because the bullet holds together better. I have work up some of my favorite loads with a powder that is just slightly faster then the Alliant 2400. A big bonus is the reduced recoil. It is getting a bit slow for 38 special but should still work. You aren't stuck with cast bullets ether it works well with jacketed. I believe it is used more with cast because it doesn't lead as bad. My brass seem to last forever with it also. I know I have over 20 loads on some of the rifle brass I've been using.

Like I said earlier it probably isn't for the beginner but worth learning.

If you enjoyed reading about "Powder for both pistol & rifle?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!