N.R.A.

PDA

gibson_es
July 17, 2011, 05:20 AM
Just joined. Yahoo! A couple hotel stays and it will pay for its self. Lol.

Just did one year, will do thst every yeae til i get done with college and get a job. $1,000 is a bit steap at the moment... Though that jacket is spiffy! (Life time membership fee.. jacket is free. Stated as a $250 jacket)

.. just wish they would send more then one sticker... Maybe i will email the request. Lol.

The $1,000 insurance is worth it. I wont have more then $1,000 worth of fire arms for a while. And the membership gets me $35 a night at a particular hotel in town if me and the wife wanna get away for a night.. thats cheaper then a motel 6! ... With less bugs. Haha!

And it helped me local a cw class for my ccw that is only $50. The bedt price i saw before that was $69. Thats of coarse just the class, not the permit its self. And if n.r.a. is backing it i would think its not a crappy class that lasts an hour and done.

Not to mention... Im an N.R.A. member... That alone is worth it.

Just wanted to share my joy!

Now if only i got discounts on guns and ammo.... ;)

If you enjoyed reading about "N.R.A." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
lloveless
July 17, 2011, 05:40 AM
As a Life member welcome aboard. It is a good deal on many different levels.
ll

Sig88
July 17, 2011, 05:57 AM
Life member is something I'd like to do down the road. For me my membership paid for itself by just going to the Convention. I actually have to renew soon

gibson_es
July 17, 2011, 06:03 AM
Uep, seems thst unless you sit on your butt doing nothing all year, it will find a way to pay for its self.

whalerman
July 17, 2011, 06:18 AM
I just wish we could get all gun owners to join. The excuses not to, in my book, never cut it. Imagine an eighty million member NRA. Imagine what that would mean for current, pending, and future gun legislation. We might actually enter an era where the Constitution were recognized again.

loadedround
July 17, 2011, 08:56 AM
I've been a NRA Life Member for over 20 years now and am extremly proud of this fact and wear my gold Life member pin on my suit lapel every chance I get. :D

FROGO207
July 17, 2011, 09:20 AM
I always paid by the year as this netted the NRA the most money per my membership. Then I started to forget all those little things and at the same time money got a lot scarcer. So when a member here offered a deal on getting a lifetime membership I tightened my belt a lot and did it. Now when I have some extra $$$ I just send in a donation. Won't have to remember to sign up ever again.:D As stated elsewhere the NRA is the 800 pound gorilla that can't be swept under the rug with RKBA matters, so I also urge those that are in a position to join and just haven't bothered to do so now. If you know someone that wants to join or rejoin but had not due to cash problems a gift membership would be most welcome I am sure. When it comes down to it we are better off keeping our current gun rights intact rather than trying to regain what we have lost at a later date.

Yeah I know!!! Some will say the NRA is not looking out for us all. So if you can find a better organization for RKBA rights let us in on that secret please. Until then My vote (and $$$) will be with the NRA.

hso
July 17, 2011, 09:43 AM
Good for you.

Be sure to go to the website and opt out of all the annoying begging mail.

stickhauler
July 17, 2011, 04:20 PM
Congratulations on taking on the mantle of helping keep our gun rights intact! As someone said, it's really too bad we can't get every gun owner to do the same.

rscalzo
July 17, 2011, 05:29 PM
Be sure to go to the website and opt out of all the annoying begging mail.

I looked but didn't see anything.

FROGO207
July 17, 2011, 07:00 PM
You have to set up an account with them and that was there on I think the first page. Lacking the info needed call the member services 800 number and ask to be opted out of the mailings they will take it from there. I think that they finally realized that this will save them money if you are not ever going to spend any more money there.

Ryanxia
July 17, 2011, 07:04 PM
Congrats!

G27RR
July 17, 2011, 07:10 PM
Congrats, and I agree that a $1,000 is a lot at once. They do offer discounted upgrades to members from time to time. I upgraded to Life about two years back for $300, then to Endowment a year ago at another discounted rate. You don't get the jacket with the discount, which makes sense, since you're saving $700, but you might get a choice of "gift" from a short list as I did.

jcwit
July 17, 2011, 07:13 PM
GOOD FOR YOU!

I wish I'd have done the same years ago but always kept my membership with a year or two here and there. Now I'm old and its not prudent money wise to get the Life Membership, but of course I'm still a member. They are the Big dog on the porch and do the most for our interests for sure.

National Metric Small Bore matches going on right now in Bristol, Indiana.

Fleet
July 17, 2011, 07:28 PM
One day, you'll wake up.

Toforo
July 17, 2011, 07:43 PM
GOOD FOR YOU!

I wish I'd have done the same years ago but always kept my membership with a year or two here and there. Now I'm old and its not prudent money wise to get the Life Membership, but of course I'm still a member. They are the Big dog on the porch and do the most for our interests for sure.

National Metric Small Bore matches going on right now in Bristol, Indiana.
You're a disabled vet - your rate for "Distinguished Life Member" is the same as a retiree's rate - $300.00

Since you may be NEAR Bristol, IN - you may want to have someone do the math for you.... lol
(all in jest ya'old hoosier, I grew up on Little Simonton Lake in Elkhart from 1962-1973)
BLUE BLAZERS ROCK!!!!

wgaynor
July 17, 2011, 10:37 PM
Congrats! Just joined up myself two days ago when they called the house requesting support. :)

sig220mw
July 17, 2011, 10:44 PM
Ditto to what whalerman said.......everyone that is a gun owner or shooter should join, then we would be invincible. I too am a life member for over 20 years.

pacerdude
July 17, 2011, 10:47 PM
gibson im doing the same plan as you until im out of college with a real job haha, money is tight these days!

Welcome aboard!

RyanAnchors
July 18, 2011, 05:30 AM
Anyone who owns guns and isn't a member of AT LEAST the NRA is doing a disservice to us all.
If you really can't afford $25/year (sometimes $25 for two years!), then you probably can't afford ammo.
I'm a yearly member and whenever I buy something from Turner's Outdoorsman here I do the "Add A Buck" to the NRA thing that they offer, which I think is pretty cool!

Yes sometimes they take credit for other group's work, but we're on the same team here. Yes they have a lot of money. That is the point. Money talks in Washington.
Do you know of any other gun rights group that can get a seat at the United Nations table to state our Second Amendment concerns? I think not.

The SAF (Second Amendment Foundation)/Alan Gura is also really good, you may remember them from such projects as McDonald and Heller (and a host of on going projects).

Also, CalGunsFoundation (CGF) is great for those in California. They have taken tremendous strides for gun owners in California and as a result, gun owners everywhere.

wgaynor
July 18, 2011, 08:45 AM
I wouldn't call a lack of membership a disservice. There are other ways to advocate for the cause and some people choose that route. Regardless though, i consider the 2nd Amendment to be like a muscle. If you don't exercise it, you lose it.

alsaqr
July 18, 2011, 09:10 AM
Welcome to the NRA. i'v been a member for well over 50 years. In 2010 the NRA contributed more than twice as much to pro-gun candidates than all of the other pro-gun organizations together.

http://www.opensecrets.org/industries/contrib.php?ind=Q13&cycle=2010

HOWARD J
July 18, 2011, 09:17 AM
My brother joined me -I believe- in 1951
I liked their pretty little decals

Cop Bob
July 18, 2011, 12:05 PM
Congrats, now you can add that to your Signature line... Welcome aboard.!

Ole Coot
July 18, 2011, 01:17 PM
Congrats! I believe that getting firearms owners or people that believe in our personal rights to become members even if they don't own or use firearms. This may be the first right that could possibly be cut from our Constitution.

RJ brad
July 18, 2011, 01:49 PM
Hello all,

im new here!

i applied for a gun permit ..... a yr ago haven't heard back (until i recently ) ..... i called country clerks office..... they told me the i needed to write the judge..... so i did....asking him to on the status..... i didnt hear any for three weeks ....so i called his secretory.... and she asked if i wanted a hearing ..... so i said yes..... so now a date is in place for one in two weeks........ so what can i look forward on happening at this hearing?:what:

ErikO
July 18, 2011, 01:54 PM
If it weren't for the right-wing rhetoric I'd join.

Groups that support my 2nd Amendment rights and go after infringements without engaging in rhetoric ment to distance 'certain folks' from the support of our Natural Rights get my support. NRA-ILA, not so much. Sorry, YMMV.

Justin
July 18, 2011, 02:25 PM
The NRA donates money to both Republicans and Democrats. Furthermore, they generally refrain from taking a stance on issues outside of the RKBA, which makes it kind of hard for me to believe that they're some sort of right-wing boogie man.

Nushif
July 18, 2011, 03:48 PM
In all fairness it really is not the NRA who is the scary right wing boogieman.
It is 80% of their members. and if you are not willing to admit to that, you are truly blind on the right eye.

JustinJ
July 18, 2011, 04:03 PM
"I just wish we could get all gun owners to join. The excuses not to, in my book, never cut it."

I strongly disagree with the NRA's positions on a number of hunting issues so can't support them in good conscious. Right now i'm looking into other groups to find one, or more, that restricts it's actions to 2nd amendment issues.

jcwit
July 18, 2011, 04:04 PM

Groups that support my 2nd Amendment rights and go after infringements without engaging in rhetoric ment to distance 'certain folks' from the support of our Natural Rights get my support. NRA-ILA, not so much. Sorry, YMMV.

Nothing more than a COP-OUT.

But you are entitled to your opinion, such as it is.

When I was a child, I spoke and reasoned as a child. But when I grew up I put away childish things.

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

OH!

Tim the student
July 18, 2011, 04:16 PM
You're a disabled vet - your rate for "Distinguished Life Member" is the same as a retiree's rate - $300.00

$375 actually, according to the website.

indykappa
July 18, 2011, 04:27 PM
i disagree with alot of the stuff that gets pumped down my throat as an NRA member (life member), but the simple fact remains...the NRA is the single most powerful 2nd Amendment advocacy group there is.

without the NRA, the 2nd Amendment may have been dissolved long ago

Dnaltrop
July 18, 2011, 04:41 PM
The NRA is the biggest stick we have.

Easy pay Life member in progress. Can't afford to throw them $1000 all at once, but broken down over 10 years it's an easy pill to swallow.

Old krow
July 18, 2011, 06:05 PM
It is 80% of their members. and if you are not willing to admit to that, you are truly blind on the right eye.

If that's the case, we should invite more scary left wingers and we can be blind in both eyes. :D

Toforo
July 18, 2011, 06:26 PM

Quote:

Could be....
But I paid 300.00 - I'd been a Disabled Vet for a long time AND an NRA member for a long time when I accidentally stumbled across the "Disabled Vet Rate" (same rate as for retirees) "Distinguished Life Member" -

- I think they credited my account for a few years because I transitioned over from a long-time regular yearly membership.....

.....I came across it by accident - I'm a VFW Life Member and when I "turned of age" was considering joining AARP and did some deep comparative research...

.....I came to the realization that the NRA by itself, represents ME BETTER as a gun hobbyist, sportsman, VETERAN, DISABLED VETERAN, and a (GASP) elderly person than the VFW (a dying organization) and/or the AARP.

Justin
July 18, 2011, 06:30 PM
I strongly disagree with the NRA's positions on a number of hunting issues so can't support them in good conscious. Right now i'm looking into other groups to find one, or more, that restricts it's actions to 2nd amendment issues.

The only other nationally active RKBA group I support is the 2nd Amendment Foundation. They do fantastic work from the legal side of things.

azmjs
July 18, 2011, 07:18 PM
Congrats!

Nobody out there can even come close to trying to hold a candle to the NRA.

azmjs
July 18, 2011, 07:22 PM

I had some doubts about supporting the NRA this year after they disgraced themself by giving a platform to that awful glen beck and that ditz from alaska, but I came back to my senses and remembered that I support the NRA because they are the preeminent, far-and-away, only-game-in-town organization for gun advocacy.

Nobody's perfect, and its important to keep in mind that the freak show mentioned above is, in practical terms, inconsequential to what the NRA does.

Nushif
July 18, 2011, 08:09 PM
If that's the case, we should invite more scary left wingers and we can be blind in both eyes.

Ideally yes! We should! If ye olde politicians realize a very sizable chunk of the population coming from every walk of life, every political direction and more importantly every voter base will not stand for infringements on private weapons ownership then I can *guarantee* you all this talk about gun control by radical fringe groups will come to a very, very sudden end in terms of legislative power.

You just go and sell that to 80% or so of the current membership. 8) Let me know when I can join up and contribute to the big stick, without everyone around me offending me at every turn.

Philippe
July 18, 2011, 09:43 PM
Those NRA guys at the booths are annoying as hell! The last show i went too they tried to make me feel bad about not being a member ( they didnt give me time to tell them i was) and every time i walked by one of them would spout off something like, heyyy bud you think about that yet, its only money son. I lost respect after that.

Old krow
July 18, 2011, 09:49 PM
Let me know when I can join up and contribute to the big stick, without everyone around me offending me at every turn.

You've got a point, but the solution lacks merit. How would anyone "offend" you? Better yet, what difference does it make?

You just go and sell that to 80% or so of the current membership.

No, I don't have to do that. :D Why should that be my problem? Whether I agree with them or not, I'm going to contribute in the struggle. If someone has offended me to the point that I harbor feelings of apprehension or reservation, they have already exerted too much influence over me. I have let what should have been their problem become my problem.

jcwit
July 18, 2011, 10:18 PM
Those NRA guys at the booths are annoying as hell! The last show i went too they tried to make me feel bad about not being a member ( they didnt give me time to tell them i was) and every time i walked by one of them would spout off something like, heyyy bud you think about that yet, its only money son. I lost respect after that.

You just go and sell that to 80% or so of the current membership. 8) Let me know when I can join up and contribute to the big stick, without everyone around me offending me at every turn.

You're both actually that thin skined?

Must be a harsh world.

Sock Puppet
July 18, 2011, 10:23 PM
Nobody's perfect, and its important to keep in mind that the freak show mentioned above is, in practical terms, inconsequential to what the NRA does.

This. I care only about the NRA's positions regarding RKBA and their political power/ability to defend the 2nd Amendment.

gibson_es
July 18, 2011, 11:06 PM
I dont care about all the b.s.

I dont care if they are right wing or left wind, if they support palin and beck (eh, i kinda like beck actually( and i dont care who else is a member or what there belief's are. I dont care if every other member is a cheerful fun lad, or an A-hole.

As long as they fight more my right to purchase, own, carry and use (at the range and self defense). Then im happy, and they get my support.

Nushif
July 18, 2011, 11:53 PM
You're both actually that thin skined?

Must be a harsh world.

This has nothing to do with thin skinned. May I kindly remind you that until a few months ago "right winger" got you reported here and "Pinko" was language appropriate enough for "your grandmother?"
Now, imagine an organization, whose membership isn't as open minded as the circumstances here. And then tell me you want to join that if you don't fit in.

Frankly, until the shooting community gets rid of the "If ya dun like it ... git out!" attitude it's gonna be stuck in the position it's in. And I'd much rather see the community grow, so that we don't have to deal with stupid places like Detroit, DC or NYC.

But hey, you go on doing what you do. It's ironically not me who you're damaging. It's your own future as a gunner in this country.

CharlesT
July 19, 2011, 05:03 AM
Card carrying. Only a year right now though :(

The card has literally saved me hundreds on hotels and I got some free pizza once for it (2 larges and a 2 liter of coke!)

Geckgo
July 19, 2011, 06:28 AM
I really need to look into some of these benefits one day.

Davek1977
July 19, 2011, 07:11 AM
When someone can show me another organization that has done as much for gun rights in thsi country as the NRA, I'll suppor that group. until then, I'll continue to fund the biggest lobbying organization that is committed to protecting my rights, your rights, and the rights of gun owners nationwide. While thre are definitely things about the organization I'd change, I'm not going to cut off my nose to spite my face, so to speak. Overall, the NRA does far more good than harm to the causes I support

RyanAnchors
July 19, 2011, 02:08 PM
People always complain that they support candidates they don't personally like (Harry Reid, Sarah Palin, whatever).
People fail to remember that they support anyone who supports RKBA.

If you advocate bringing back slavery or turning America into a communist country, but you support the Second Amendment, they will support you.

That is there job, they are single issue and very focused.

jcwit
July 19, 2011, 02:53 PM
That is there job, they are single issue and very focused.

Thank God!

When someone can show me another organization that has done as much for gun rights in thsi country as the NRA, I'll suppor that group. until then, I'll continue to fund the biggest lobbying organization that is committed to protecting my rights, your rights, and the rights of gun owners nationwide. While thre are definitely things about the organization I'd change, I'm not going to cut off my nose to spite my face, so to speak. Overall, the NRA does far more good than harm to the causes I support

Absolutely.

j2crows
July 19, 2011, 03:37 PM
I belonged, (30 years ago) to a gun club where there was real peer pressure to join the NRA. I was a member for 5 years until I moved to another state. Guys that weren't NRA members were treated a little different. One thing that sticks in my mind is...If you weren't a member the secretary would always "forget" to notify non NRA members when the gate combo was changed. Now, I haven't been an NRA member for a long time but I will defend most of the things they are doing, as good. I remain quite active as a gun advocate through e-mails and personal meetings with state reps'. on gun and hunting issues. So I strongly feel that you don't have to be an NRA member to have the, "fever" about gun issues. Members and non-members, stay on your toes. Make your voices be heard.

jay gatz
July 19, 2011, 03:44 PM
The NRA is not interested in fully free gun laws. They're more interested in schemes that would require NRA run education to have your firearm(funny how those classes aren't free either). They also seem to take up the stance primarily that guns are for playing, whether that's recreational hunting or target shooting competitions. I don't own guns for toys, I own them for self defense first and second. Yet they would be fine to trade my right to own my weapons for self defense for a permission slip that I have to jump through hoops to obtain, pay money, and volunteer to be on whatever list the federal law enforcement agencies feel gun owners belong on.

Separate from their issues any organization with the dogma that I "owe" them my money because they advocate for something I do isn't getting a damned penny from me. I don't appreciate this sense of entitlement that older folks yell about my generation possessing, then turn around and spout that I owe them this that and the other thing.

So no I do not and will not support the NRA.

Justin
July 19, 2011, 03:52 PM
The NRA is not interested in fully free gun laws. They're more interested in schemes that would require NRA run education to have your firearm(funny how those classes aren't free either). They also seem to take up the stance primarily that guns are for playing, whether that's recreational hunting or target shooting competitions. I don't own guns for toys, I own them for self defense first and second. Yet they would be fine to trade my right to own my weapons for self defense for a permission slip that I have to jump through hoops to obtain, pay money, and volunteer to be on whatever list the federal law enforcement agencies feel gun owners belong on.

Can you site one single instance in which the NRA has advocated for universal safety classes in order to own a gun?

No, seriously. Please feel free to provide documentation in the form of links to articles from verifiable and trustworthy sources.

Also, the NRA does plenty to focus on firearms for defensive uses. I daresay that most of the classes they offer are designed around using a firearm effectively for personal protection, and in every magazine they publish every month there are at least a couple of articles about using guns for personal protection, to say nothing of the recurring column entitled The Armed Citizen which highlights successful cases of personal defense with firearms every single month.

Separate from their issues any organization with the dogma that I "owe" them my money because they advocate for something I do isn't getting a damned penny from me. I don't appreciate this sense of entitlement that older folks yell about my generation possessing, then turn around and spout that I owe them this that and the other thing.

If not for the NRA, your ability to own handguns would not exist. Your ability to own an AR15 would not exist. You would not be able to exercise the right to carry a concealed defensive gun in 48 out of 50 states.

I'm 32, so that hardly counts as making me "older," but frankly, you don't know what you're talking about. Regardless of whether or not you think it's worthwhile to join the NRA, the only one here with an entitlement mentality is you.

jcwit
July 19, 2011, 08:19 PM

So no I do not and will not support the NRA.

Is that why they offer conceal carry products at their store?

Mayhap you should do some research before speaking?

Just remember the rest of us who are members will carry you on our back, we'll try not to let you down, but who knows what the future holds?

Would it be possible for you to reconsider?

jcwit
July 19, 2011, 08:27 PM
This has been discussed and cussed over and over, both by those that wish to support our sport and have it continue, and keep it growing, and those just like to ride on the tails of active responsable folks.

It something like having a work detail at your local range, ever notice it the same ones that show up to give their time, energy, and funds while the rest benifit from those few. The same was true 40 years ago when I was a Scout Master trying to get the parents involved or needed help with a few drivers.

Seems like its always the 5%--10% who manage to contribute or help any organization.

Nushif
July 19, 2011, 08:32 PM
This has been discussed and cussed over and over, both by those that wish to support our sport and have it continue, and keep it growing, and those just like to ride on the tails of active responsable folks.

Incredibly divisive and inflammatory. "The world has two people in it. The ones I agree with and the ones who I am calling inactive and irresponsible."

People have, at times, very good reasons for doing what they do. And even if they don't agree with you doesn't mean they're irresponsible or ride others coat tails. Hate to say it, but the whole "either you're with us or you're against us" is not very good for getting people involved.

jcwit
July 19, 2011, 08:45 PM
Incredibly divisive and inflammatory. "The world has two people in it. The ones I agree with and the ones who I am calling inactive and irresponsible."

People have, at times, very good reasons for doing what they do. And even if they don't agree with you doesn't mean they're irresponsible or ride others coat tails. Hate to say it, but the whole "either you're with us or you're against us" is not very good for getting people involved.

Oh, I realize there are other folks out there but I wish not to bring up politics.

See the last sentence of post #56.

BTW, point out just where I stated anyone is against me? Stop attempting to twist my words to serve your purpose.

RyanAnchors
July 19, 2011, 09:05 PM
Weird since the NRA has been lobbying in every state in the country to adopt their model Castle Doctrine policy because a lot of places have crappy self-defense laws that put YOU at risk of a MURDER CHARGE for defending yourself.

They have been pushing it and succeeding, so to say they don't care about self-defense is ignorant and misinformed.

They have stated openly that the Second Amendment exists mostly to combat oppressive government. If you call that "playing", then idk what to tell you.
I can tell you that none of you or these other groups like GOA will ever be invited to come to a UN meeting in DC, get on the microphone, look every representative from every major country in the world in the eyes, and tell them they can go screw themselves if anyone messes with our 2A.

If you have that level of access and power, then you are free to think the NRA is unnecessary. Until then, I just think people that don't donate to SAF and NRA aren't doing their part...

If you don't like NRA, at least donate to SAF. Thank them for Heller and McDonald and help them continue to buy Alan Gura new lambos and houses for smashing the courts and the antis over and over again in litigation.

jcwit
July 19, 2011, 09:15 PM
Well Put!

Check this out if you think they "The NRA" is not helping.

http://www.nraila.org/

Point4orLarger
July 19, 2011, 11:29 PM
Does the NRA training course serve out the requirement of "gun education" needed to get licensed in other states than my own? Re: reciprocity. If so, you loyal NRA members should spread the word about it. That alone wold bring MANY on-board.

Davek1977
July 20, 2011, 03:52 AM
As far as "stigma" goes, whose job do you believe it is to CHANGE the stigma the NRA has? Their public relations director.....or responsible gun owners promoting the ideals of the 2nd Amendment and safe gun ownership? Stigma is NO reason NOT to join. Its a reason why you SHOULD join. An organization is only as visible as its members. YOU can change public perception of what the NRA is with your own actions. furthermore, wha the NRa does as an organization dwarfs the impact i could have on the anti-gun movement on my own. If I have the choice of "coverting a couple antis" and supporting a huge organization that spends millions of dollars to defend my way of life against those intent on destroying it....well, as much as I'd like to do both, supporting the NRA ranks as far more important to me in the grand scheme of things. i was taught if you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything. Thats why I'm a vocal supporter of my 2nd Amendment rights and the NRA, "stigma" be damned. Chances are, if I'm shut out of something because I'm an active member of the NRA...chances are, its not a place I belong to begin with. A gun owner afraid of the stigma of being a gun owner is of little help to the gun rights movement, IMO

Justin
July 20, 2011, 04:15 AM

If you support RKBA, the easiest way to do so is to join the NRA. If you don't join the NRA, there are other ways to show your support, but you better be willing to show your work.

hq
July 20, 2011, 04:36 AM
NRA is a dirty name where I am.

Don't feed the prejudice of ignorant people. I've been working for nra.fi for almost five years, pro bono, and the single biggest obstacle has been anti-people who "know" what NRA stands for and is all about. It's incredible what kind of <deleted> I hear on a regular basis.

Support your local/national RKBA organization. That's where the real power to influence the legislation is, in addition to making your vote count, of course.

Apocalypse-Now
July 20, 2011, 05:06 AM
i got the free NRA membership. money well spent.

gibson_es
July 20, 2011, 04:20 PM
i got the free NRA membership. money well spent.
i did the free membership at first too, just to "test the waters" but two weeks later, i did the full membership, im all about saving a buck. but in the end, the free membership really dont do anyone any good? and i didnt feel like a member anyway, no member i.d. no benifits, no i.d. card, no decals, just puts you on the mailing list and lets you read a digital copy of one of the magazings. i wanted to contribute, i wanted to see my money go to something, i wanted to see what there doing and really think/say "i helped contribute to that" even as minute as my money is in the grand scheme of things.

i urge you to go ahead and get the full time, its $25-$35 for a year. thats less then a good holster.

it givess you $1,000 insurance on your firearms
$5,000 accidental insurance for you
reduced hotel rates

just to name a few. trust me, go to the beach or were ever a couple times and you can "make" your money back.

but i like that you at least took an interest, its a step in the right direction!

19&41
July 20, 2011, 06:04 PM
Thanks and congratulations to the OP for the life membership! I've been an annual member for a number of years and have a payroll deduction to the NRA Foundation.

camar
July 20, 2011, 09:52 PM
I quit the NRA in 1968 when the NRA said "they could live with it". Unfortunetly I had to join to become a member of my current gun club. I am a member and support financially Gun Owners of America.

Apocalypse-Now
July 21, 2011, 12:01 PM
in the end, the free membership really dont do anyone any good?

sure does. got me a discount on a bunch of ammo at cabela's during their NRA weekend sale. also gets me NRA discounts at hotels, and everywhere else NRA member discounts are available. :D

Smokey in PHX
July 21, 2011, 04:45 PM
Been a life member for somewhere around 30 or 40 years. I do not always agree with everything they do but overall it is a good organization. If they were never in existence we would probably not have all the freedoms we have currently. I have always encouraged people to join the organization.

Fred in Wisc
July 21, 2011, 05:25 PM
We in Wisconsin never would have ended up with the concealed carry law that was just passed without the NRA hammering on the legislature. Kudos to them for a great job gathering support from both political parties.

Did the free membership, then upgraded to a multi-year regular membership.

Their emails regarding upcoming legislation and easy "contact your legislator" links (enter your address and it looks up who your representatives are for each issue) make it very easy to reach out to the appropriate politicians at the appropriate times.

JustinJ
July 21, 2011, 05:31 PM
"sure does. got me a discount on a bunch of ammo at cabela's during their NRA weekend sale. also gets me NRA discounts at hotels, and everywhere else NRA member discounts are available. "

Will you not pay because you don't support the NRA's actions? If so even your free membership is being used to advance those actions. For example if they quote their membership numbers to the media when promoting a specific issue.

Water-Man
July 21, 2011, 05:44 PM
Harry Reid will be proud of you. :rolleyes:

JustinJ
July 21, 2011, 05:51 PM
"Harry Reid will be proud of you."

Who and why? If you are reffering to me, my comments are obviously neutral about the NRA. I'm pointing out that there is a cost to being a member, if not a monetary one, so joining a group one disagrees with to get a few perks is hypocritical. Or maybe you are saying that Harry Reid has integrity and would never do such thing? Ahhh, now i get it.

Ad hominem attacks imply a weak position or the inability to defend it.

hso
July 21, 2011, 07:21 PM
FYI, insurance is now $2,500 of ArmsCare coverage with your NRA membership. This plan covers insured firearms, air guns, bows and arrows against theft, accidental loss, and damage.

Apocalypse-Now
July 21, 2011, 10:41 PM
Will you not pay because you don't support the NRA's actions? If so even your free membership is being used to advance those actions. For example if they quote their membership numbers to the media when promoting a specific issue.

not at all. i'd just rather use the $35 membership fee on ammo ;)

don't care about politics, it's the same crap every day. hardly ever watch the news.

jcwit
July 22, 2011, 06:51 AM
Glad our founding fathers didn't feel that way.

Can't imagine not standing for something!

Apocalypse-Now
July 22, 2011, 04:46 PM
^^those were different times, back when politicians had the good of the nation at heart, rather than their own re-election. they weren't "career" politicians.

Cluster Bomb
July 22, 2011, 04:48 PM
Question, is the life membership a one time payment, are ther other undisclosed fees?

jcwit
July 22, 2011, 04:56 PM
^^those were different times, back when politicians had the good of the nation at heart, rather than their own re-election. they weren't "career" politicians.

Only because we "the populace" continue to relect them, over and over.

G27RR
July 22, 2011, 07:48 PM
Question, is the life membership a one time payment, are ther other undisclosed fees?

One-time. You will get solicitations to upgrade or donate to the PAC, but you're under no obligation and that has no effect on your membership status. You can request to stop receiving the solicitations, too, and they'll stop sending them.

PS - there is an easy pay life membership that spreads your payments into smaller chunks over time, but once you've paid the full amount, that's it.

matrem
July 22, 2011, 07:48 PM
those were different times, back when politicians had the good of the nation at heart, rather than their own re-election. they weren't "career" politicians.

Politicians of the 21st century still understand the meaning of " Fired in November". I've seen the work of pro Constitution folks pay off recently, and, in my opinion, your attitude is a BIG reason why " career" polititians have become what they are!

jcwit
July 22, 2011, 08:58 PM
BINGO!!!

Its the apathy of the U.S. Citizen.

Apocalypse-Now
July 22, 2011, 11:27 PM
Politicians of the 21st century still understand the meaning of " Fired in November". I've seen the work of pro Constitution folks pay off recently, and, in my opinion, your attitude is a BIG reason why " career" polititians have become what they are!

is that so? plz elaborate your accusation for us.

not to be as rude as you are, but your post proves my point-they do know what "fired in november" means, and that's their main concern, not the american people.

but plz, let us know your brilliant theory, since you've "seen the work of pro constitution folks".

GuitarsAndGuns
July 22, 2011, 11:35 PM
I was renewing my car tag the other day and saw they offer an NRA license plate. Looked pretty cool and proceeds go to the NRA. I have to wait four weeks for it to arrive though. Been a member for two years, joined right after I started shooting. I also round up to the nearest dollar whenever I order on MidwayUSA. When I can afford to give more, you can bet I will.

matrem
July 22, 2011, 11:45 PM
but plz, let us know your brilliant theory, since you've "seen the work of pro constitution folks".
We VOTE... And encourage others to..
Really not that difficult to understand.. eh?

Apocalypse-Now
July 22, 2011, 11:55 PM
We VOTE... And encourage others to..
Really not that difficult to understand.. eh?

who said i don't? however, that's besides the point.

so, your "vote" matters, and is different than all other votes? so, you're telling us that you're the only voter that does not encourage career politicians? ...and you believe all this because, again, you've "seen the work of pro constitutional folks", which you have yet to explain the meaning of.

your posts also lead me to believe that you are one of many people that believe their candidates will be different than ALL the others in the last 150 years, and make the proper change to rectify this country rather than just politics as usual. utter nonsense.

remember now, i didn't open this can of worms, you obviously did with your obnoxious post #83. so, what do you have to say now? i'm on the edge of my seat. ;)

matrem
July 23, 2011, 12:12 AM
i'm on the edge of my seat.
I'd call it more sitting flat in your seat..
You seem ( at least to me) one of the ones that like to bitch, but are afraid to act..
Prove me wrong...

ants
July 23, 2011, 12:14 AM
Guys, we love you both. Get back to Guns or they'll shut down the thread.

Apocalypse-Now
July 23, 2011, 12:21 AM
I'd call it more sitting flat in your seat..
You seem ( at least to me) one of the ones that like to bitch, but are afraid to act..
Prove me wrong...

you all right there, buddy?

you're the one that accused "people like me" of being responsible for politicians being what they are, remember? that was in post #83, in case you forgot. so, it would seem you're the one that needs to prove something. don't try to change the subject now, bro!

so, let's here it! how did people "like me" make politicians what they are with our "apathy"?

ok, ok, i'll cut you some slack. you're obviously the type of person that runs off at the mouth without thinking (or facts to back you up).....or else you would have explained yourself by now.

oh, and by the way, the fact that i pay plenty in taxes give me the right to bi**% as much as i like about our government....whether you like or not. next time, might want to think before you speak (or type) ;)

BINGO!!!

Its the apathy of the U.S. Citizen.

(same goes for you, mr. "BINGO")

Art Eatman
July 23, 2011, 06:54 AM
Folks go to yakking polly ticks, you know what happens.

If you enjoyed reading about "N.R.A." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!