Another AMERC Brass Story

PDA

dbarnhart
July 17, 2011, 04:21 PM
While at the range today testing the first 45ACP round loaded on my Hornady LnL-AP I had two Failure-To-Feed incidents. The slide would not go all the way forward. I ejected the rounds and set them aside so I could bring them home with me.

When I came home I gave these two rounds a careful examination to see if I could determine why. The COAL was fine on both, but the diameter at the case mouth was about .005 larger that the rest of the rounds I checked. My first thought was bad bullets but I pulled them and they measured .451.

Then I noticed that of the 100 rounds I fired today they were the only two with an AMERC headstamp. Compared to several other cases I measured these two AMERC cases have a case wall several thousands thicker.

I also removed the barrel from my Colt Combat Commander and tried dropping cartridges in to the chamber. A normal round made that nice 'tink' sound and seated as it should. The AMERC rounds would stop short of seating fully.

If you enjoyed reading about "Another AMERC Brass Story" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
esheato
July 17, 2011, 04:53 PM
AMERC is widely known as crap. Do everyone a favor, pull the bullets, crimp the cases with a pliers so they're not usable and throw them in the trash.

I was shooting my 1911 a decade ago and found a rattling sound in my magazine. Turns out the primers were falling out of the loaded rounds in the magazine upon recoil.

dbarnhart
July 17, 2011, 05:17 PM
Not widely enough known, apparently. I just went thru my stock of brass and found just three pieces of AMERC brass. I threw it in the scrap bucket.

esheato
July 17, 2011, 05:24 PM
Threads on THR regarding AMERC (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=MQu&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&biw=1920&bih=1047&q=+site:thehighroad.org+amerc+brass)

evan price
July 18, 2011, 06:52 AM
All A-MERC 45 brass goes in the scrap bin. Same for 40 and 9mm. Oddly enough, their revolver brass seems OK so far. Luckily they are out of business!

seed
July 18, 2011, 12:41 PM
It is such dangerously bad stuff that it should not even be legal to sell.

Twmaster
July 19, 2011, 12:13 AM
Same here. I collect brass at the range for reloading. I toss every last one I find that has the AMERC head stamp.

Glad they are gone.

If you enjoyed reading about "Another AMERC Brass Story" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!