Ammo + where are you buying from???

PDA

SilentStalker
July 17, 2011, 10:46 PM
Where are you guys buying your ammo from these days? I am just wondering if it would be better to buy online or locally? I noticed when buying 5.56 online that they seem to have a lot of manufacturers or brands I have never heard of. Is there any brand in particular that I should stay away from?

If you enjoyed reading about "Ammo + where are you buying from???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
verge
July 17, 2011, 11:30 PM
Sgammo.com out of Stillwater OK, great service, fast shipping and great prices on brands you know rather than those you have never heard of before. Classicarms.us for great prices on bulk surplus military ammo.

esque
July 18, 2011, 12:17 AM
+1 SGAmmo.
Great ma and pa operation, good folks to deal with.

MarkDozier
July 18, 2011, 12:23 AM
ammoman.com has good prices

bubbinator
July 18, 2011, 12:24 AM
Try Jack Barrett @ Wetumpka Fish & Game, Wetumpka, AL. He is a long time dealer with sources you may find tempting.

Lonerider357
July 18, 2011, 12:51 AM
I load my own

wgaynor
July 18, 2011, 01:01 AM
Cast and load my own.

OldmanFCSA
July 18, 2011, 02:10 AM
Wideners has 5.56 IMI 1200 rounds 55 and 62 grain for $320-$380 free shipping.

Otherwise I reload my own.

M2 Carbine
July 18, 2011, 09:08 AM
I reload most of what I shoot.

I buy a little from Cheaper Than Dirt and Wal Mart., like 22 Mag. and 17 HMR.

I also buy some thousands of good priced, high quality .223 reloads from a particular dealer at the gun shows. $260/1,000, in a 50 cal ammo can, OTD.

mgmorden
July 18, 2011, 10:09 AM
For common stuff, Wal-mart usually can come close to online prices. Barring that though (or for rarer stuff), most ammo I've purchased online has been from AIM Surplus.

Personally though, I've been reloading most of what I shoot lately. It's cheaper, and it's something gun-related I can do in the evenings without leaving home.

I've even started dabbling in casting for my reloads now. Had roughly 150 lbs of lead given to me (with the possibility of more on the way) which figuring in 125gr 9mm bullets is enough for over 8000 bullets. Combine that with range-pickup brass and aside from the effort input (which is significant, but I have the extra time) I'm only paying for primers and powder, which puts my potential cost for a 50/rnd "box" of 9mm at less than $2.

Mike1234567
July 18, 2011, 10:27 AM
Lately, I've been buying Federal Power-Shok rifle ammo from WalMart. I also buy from SGammo.com and sometimes from GunBroker.com when I find good deals.

303tom
July 18, 2011, 10:31 AM
I am just a hr. from Midway in Columbia , they have everything I need there , great prices & no shipping , + I know the people who work there !

wkumatt
July 18, 2011, 10:39 AM
Ammoengine.com, also +1 for wideners, Brownell's recently started selling ammo, anybody use them yet?

vellocet
July 18, 2011, 06:13 PM
Very often,Walmart has the best deals when you add in shipping. But they are often out of stock in this area. For surplus, Aim, SOG, J+G and even Classic Arms. Sometimes Sportsman's Guide has deals. I've bought most of my surplus from Aim. What do they say,"buy it cheap and stack it deep?" That's getting difficult.

JohnBiltz
July 18, 2011, 07:11 PM
I've bought from SGAmmo and no doubt will again. I live very close to a Cabela's and buy there when they have something cheap. The last few thousand rounds though I've bought at my LGS and range in bulk. Whatever is cheapest at the time and lately at least for 9mm its been local.

glockky
July 18, 2011, 07:19 PM
Natchez had has some good deals on ammo here lately. http://www.natchezss.com

FourTeeFive
July 18, 2011, 07:20 PM
www.ammoman.com

El Tejon
July 18, 2011, 07:27 PM
Great stuff. They set up at the gun shows in Lafayette and Indianapolis:

http://www.acmeammollc.com/

http://www.precisioncartridge.com/

For rimfire I still have several cases that I bought at Larry's Pawn in Huntsville, Alabama the last time I was down there. Everytime I get undershirts or socks at Wal-Mart I always buy two or three of those 555 round cartons.

oldbear
July 18, 2011, 07:42 PM
I use three (3) main suppliers, a good friend who reloads. Georgia Arms, but lately they have been low on different styles of .357 Magnum ammo. And Ammo To Go. They only advertise what they have in stock, quick shipping and decent prices.

bikerdoc
July 18, 2011, 07:47 PM
The armory.com

Ignition Override
July 18, 2011, 07:57 PM
"Ammoman".
The last case was 7.62x39 from him last winter.

Luckily there is plenty of it here, because he has not had any Russian-made x39 in months (only Yugo), but should have a new supply soon.
Maybe rumors of price increases cleaned it out?

Check "Ammo-seek".
There is some Boxer-primed Winchester 7.62 NATO out there at a decent price, maybe at "SGammo" in Stillwater OK.

Kwanger
July 18, 2011, 09:12 PM
Another big it up for SGAmmo - great company, I've spent thousands with them over the last 2 years, always great service and prices.

Other good guys:
Wideners
Aim Surplus
Ammo to Go.

This is a useful site for a heads up:
http://gun-deals.com/ammo

WeldonHunter
July 19, 2011, 01:11 PM
www.SGAmmo.com I placed another order last night with them for $2500 and it's already completed and on it's way. They're the best seller online in my opinion. Great prices, selection and shipping is cheap and fast. If there's ever a problem Sam would make it right but I have never seen anyone who had one and I visit over 30 forums. Thumbs up for www.Gun-Deals.com too.

Mike1234567
July 19, 2011, 01:41 PM
I placed an order w/ SGammo this AM and it was "completed" in 27 minutes... meaning its already awaiting carrier pick-up tomorrow.

USAF_Vet
July 19, 2011, 01:48 PM
I buy most of my common calibers at Wal-Mart. I don't have a need for a lot of high dollar specialty ammo, minute of bad guy is good enough.

For milsurp, my LGS has crates of 54r, and I'll pick one up eventually. Packs of 20 go for $6. Not horrible at $0.30 a round.

the only gun I have that I don't have a good source of ammo for is a gun that I won't shoot often, my Arisaka type 38. It's a family heirloom, so while not worth a lot, it has sentimental value.

For online ammo sales, I've used Cheaper than Dirt and Ammo to go.

CraigC
July 19, 2011, 03:12 PM
I buy rimfire (obviously), .223, .380ACP and .45ACP. I handload the rest. I found a locally owned sporting good store that beats Walmart on everything. Including bulk .22LR ammo. I can save money and don't feel like I've sold my soul to the devil every time I buy ammo.

OD1911
July 19, 2011, 03:54 PM
Palmetto State Armory (http://www.palmettostatearmory.com/)

I can usually find things fairly cheap here. Normally $5-10 less than other sites. They ship quickly too.

Reasoned1
July 19, 2011, 09:46 PM
I used to like to use "ammunitiontogo.com", but I discovered "sgammo.com" to have the best prices, generally, but I find "wideners.com" has the best 5.56mm prices and, believe it or not, "cheaperthandirt.com" has the best prices on a few items. Sometimes, I drop by Walmart in a pinch...

vellocet
July 20, 2011, 12:17 AM
Usaf vet. Sportsmans guide and cabalas, did I spell that right? sells Hornady,did I spell that right? rounds for your jap rifle. I have one too and they are lots of fun to shoot. Buy twenty for about thirty bucks and treat yourself. Find somebody who reloads. You only live once. Hell, the rifle was probably free,yes?

nosbocaj
July 20, 2011, 04:22 PM
I buy my .22lr and 9mm locally, usually at wal mart. It's always pretty cheap. As for 5.56mm, I usually buy online. Even with shipping, I can get PMC or Federal for around $6.50 a box. If I need some right away, Bi Mart usually sells a box of 100 for around $35. A little more expensive, but also much more convenient.

Thot
July 20, 2011, 08:35 PM
First off, I work for an online ammo site. I'm not here to advertise for us so I won't mention who I work for (I've been a member of this site for years and have been reading/lurking THR even longer, long before I went to work for my ammo site).

That said, to address the OP's original post, I'm all for supporting your local gun store. I've seen so many go under for various reason and like any small business, sales are the number one killer.

If you are looking for the best deal, the best eventual price-per-round, all sites will price the same/similar stuff differently but the shipping can kill a good deal. I'm not going to bad mouth anyone, I'm only offering my biased perspective that before you commit to any sale, find out what the shipping will be on top of your original order and then re-figure your overall price-per-round. An online site may beat your LGS by $20/K on a case of something, but if you're on the wrong side of the country, the shipping may kill the deal.

As for ammo to avoid, that's a huge, varying conversation. Just understand that many avoid steel cased ammo in 223/5.56 (most of this is Russian) for various reasons. The most credible of these reason seems to be premature wear and tear on some parts of US/western designed rifles (AR to be specific) like the extractor. The "mild" steel cases are still harder than brass.

Otherwise there's lots of surplus to be wary of, some bad experiences w/ probably any manufacturer by someone at sometime, and the given caveat of home grown reloads (what you might find on a random gun show table).

If you have some specific brand or loading you find online or locally and have a doubt, just mention it here. Odds are someone's tried it.

Obsidian
July 20, 2011, 10:38 PM
As was mentioned, many of the online retailers mentioned, including this one that I have had great prices and service from: www.surplusammo.com
Have the things priced in a similar manner. However the biggest thing I have noticed is other than a random box of hand gun self defense ammo, its generally better to go big or go home on purchases. Get a case or two if you can, and see what shipping deals are out there.

wkumatt
August 4, 2011, 05:11 PM
I placed an order w/ SGammo this AM and it was "completed" in 27 minutes... meaning its already awaiting carrier pick-up tomorrow.
I tried them based on this thread. Took them 38 minutes to get me a UPS tracking number A+ in my book.

saenzrich
August 4, 2011, 06:54 PM
This site has been good for me for 9mm, 7.62x39, 12ga. Flat rate shipping of 9.95.....use to be 7.95, but either way still cheaper than alot others.....

9mm...
http://www.copesdistributing.net/product_info.php?cPath=45_123&products_id=3799

12ga...
http://www.copesdistributing.net/product_info.php?cPath=45_126&products_id=2749

ball3006
August 4, 2011, 07:50 PM
The last ammo I bought was from the CMP. Oh, a couple boxes of Privi from Cabela's.....chris3

BearGriz
August 4, 2011, 08:29 PM
Seanzrich:
9mm...
http://www.copesdistributing.net/pro...oducts_id=3799

I've been tempted to buy some of that Sellier & Belliot ammo, but some reviews online claim that it is steel ammo. Is it steel (apparently it would attract a magnet, speaking of the bullet itself, not the casing)?

Some say that steel will hurt your rifling, which makes sense.

wkumatt
August 4, 2011, 09:05 PM
Seanzrich:

I've been tempted to buy some of that Sellier & Belliot ammo, but some reviews online claim that it is steel ammo. Is it steel (apparently it would attract a magnet, speaking of the bullet itself, not the casing)?

Some say that steel will hurt your rifling, which makes sense.
Not that I'm experienced with steel case but you might check out this FAQ http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=268 . It's pretty thorough and cites a few sources. I ordered a bunch of brown bear today, I'll let you know how it goes.

Sport45
August 4, 2011, 09:09 PM
Most of what I shoot is loaded in the garage. The rest I buy form Graf's, Midway, Wal-Mart, or whoever else might have a good sale.

Plan2Live
August 4, 2011, 09:24 PM
I buy from Simpson's Hardware (ACE franchise) in Sumter, SC and Sportsman's Warehouse in Columbia, SC and WalMart as a very, very, very last resort. If I don't support the local retailer and they close, then I loose my ability to go in and see firearms and accessories in person. I am particularly put out with people who use the local retailer to fondle items they want to purchase then run home to find "the best price" online. Not nice, not smart.

chrome_austex
August 4, 2011, 09:51 PM
Im addicted to ammunitiontogo. They're in-state, so shipping is fast, but sales tax sucks. They do have some really nice cheap stuff. My AR won't feed steel case ammo, so that's out. The DRS reloads in lake city brass are quite reliable. Some good euro 9mm in good brass too. Not city-local, but they're within driving distance, does that count? I buy a lot of 223 fmj and 9mm fmj in brass cases, which I keep, of course.

For precision matches, I hand-load 223.

Shipping and/or sales tax is a killer either way, and should be factored into reloading costs.

robMaine
August 4, 2011, 10:17 PM
Best price I have found of 5.56(XM193) is http://www.glensoutdoors.com, 152.95, shipped for 500 rounds.

double bogey
August 5, 2011, 01:39 AM
Ammotogo. Ordered sunday night, arrived on my porch wednesday. Course I live less than 200 miles away. And the sales tax suxx. But the fiocci .22mag for $69.95 for 500 was hard to beat. No diversity of selection in any local gun shop or wally world.

Sav .250
August 5, 2011, 07:10 AM
If your cal is not one of those off the wll type, then Wal-Mart is good.
Other than that, Gun shows are another good place to buy ammo as they do have "off the wall" ammo.

Skyshot
August 5, 2011, 07:38 AM
Wideners.com for me most of the time since I just live a few miles from them or Cabelas or Midway USA.

Jonah71
August 5, 2011, 11:47 AM
I get mine from the same place I get my guns usually. Picked up a box of 250 rounds of Rem. 9mm for $60 yesterday. Not a huge savings but I HATE shopping at that BIG store in town that everyone in America seems addicted to. I'd rather support local shops and keep a little of the $ in the community.

nosmr2
August 5, 2011, 02:05 PM
What I don't reload I buy at Academy. I don't think anyone listed that one yet. There prices are about the same as Walmart. And I don't have to deal with all the suck that makes Walmart a horrible shopping experience, not to mention their 6 box limit.
By the time I add shipping, Academy is a tad cheaper than any online stores I have run across, and I've tried the majority of them. I have purchased some bulk surplus from J&G with good results.
If you do try Academy be sure to look on the shelves behind the ammo for the unopened boxes. They have a habit of just piling it up and not stocking the "home" location.

rhodco
August 6, 2011, 12:05 AM
Just found a great deal on a case of PMC Bronze .45ACP 230gr. FMJ at www.gunenvystore.com for only $320 plus 21.80 for shipping. That's cheaper total cost than anything else I've seen at area gun shows (where you have to pay sales tax).

Mike1234567
August 6, 2011, 09:02 AM
The thing that bothers me about Wal-Mart stores (in my area) is the limited selection and quantities on hand. They do usually have great prices though. I've been stocking up on several types of ammo and check every time I go to a Wal-Mart for anything else. I also occasionally stop at Wal-Mart stores on my way home from work or if when I'm going elsewhere. This sometimes works out and other times not so much... like when they either have very few boxes or none available.

Deltaboy
August 6, 2011, 09:05 AM
I reload most of what I shoot.

I buy a little from Cheaper Than Dirt and Wal Mart., like 22 Mag. and 17 HMR.

I also buy some thousands of good priced, high quality .223 reloads from a particular dealer at the gun shows. $260/1,000, in a 50 cal ammo can, OTD.
Same here Cheaper than Dirt is in easy drive and Walmarts in my county keep ammo in stock.

Sebastian the Ibis
August 6, 2011, 06:30 PM
I ordered 1500 rounds of RUAG 9mm from cheaperthandirt on friday, it was delivered tuesday. Once shipping was included it was the cheapest 9mm, better than Aimsurplus and centerfire systems whom I usually order from.

To get under $85-90 for 500 rounds delivered you usually have to wait until centerfire is having a free shipping weekend, or aim has a new Russian ammo source.

AMMO&GUNS
September 13, 2011, 05:16 PM
you might want to try Venturamunitions.com. they carry a great selecion of top end ammo.. Cowboy from Load-x and Black Hills... Tactical from Silver State and ICC as well as Black Hills,the full line of Hornady and reman and new from a number of other top producers.. priced well. If they dont have in stock they get back to you quicky and let you know what your options will be... they are starting a Hunting/Varmint sale where they take mark downs on all of thier instock ammo in this catagory...check thier site and sign up for thier newsletter...is seems that every week they have something else on special..they just added a line of scopes and optics... no sales yet on this stuff... keep checking, i am sure they will..

bjs1187
September 13, 2011, 05:24 PM
cast and re-load. Only way to go.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ammo + where are you buying from???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!