mix different lots of same powder

PDA

DubDubU
July 18, 2011, 01:07 PM
I use a RCBS uniflow powder measure set at 5.2 grains. Down to about 500 grains of WFS powder left in the current pound. Have a new pound of same powder with different lot number. Both purchased within the last 6 months.

How low can I run the amount of powder in the measure before the measure becomes inconsistent?

I'd like to put the remaining powder in with the new. How much would you be ok with mixing into the new pound?

If you enjoyed reading about "mix different lots of same powder" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Miata Mike
July 18, 2011, 01:30 PM
I would personally run the measure fairly low before dumping what is left with your fresh pound of powder. I am not sure at what point your measure might become inconsistent.

If in doubt, just double check your powder weights a bit more often on your powder scale.

USSR
July 18, 2011, 01:39 PM
I'd like to put the remaining powder in with the new. How much would you be ok with mixing into the new pound?

Mix away, Jose! No problem adding an ounce of the same commercial cannister-grade powder to the very same powder with a different lot #.

Don

Walkalong
July 18, 2011, 03:09 PM
I am probably a little more anal than need be here, but I like to check weights of both lots to see how close they are. If they are real close I mix them. If not, I don't.

oneounceload
July 18, 2011, 05:10 PM
No problem - how do you think the powder makers get their consistency? By mixing lots -

DubDubU
July 18, 2011, 06:27 PM
Thank you everyone for your answers. Kinda what I thought but wanted to double check.

If you enjoyed reading about "mix different lots of same powder" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!