2 things:

PDA

mrpennywhistle
July 20, 2011, 04:39 PM
1. I work with weapons professionally. I need to know if any military regulations exists on ammunition misfire involving primers. IE. "if primer is struck and fails to fire the round, after 1 minute eject the round", etc. Fining a document like this is very important for something I'm doing. I read the wait time thread from 2004 but it seemed to be alot of "rule of thumb" talk without regulations/accepted procedures in writing to back it up.

>shameless self promotion, ignore if not interested<
2. I'm the guy that posted several interesting "Smarter Every Day" videos here involving ammunition/weapons. if you enjoyed them, please vote for me in an invitation only YouTube contest I'm in right now.

http://youtube-global.blogspot.com/2011/07/julys-on-rise-nominees-educators-and.html

My username is "DestinWS2". Any help is appreciated. I'm trying to give intelligent gun owners a voice.

If you enjoyed reading about "2 things:" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
cj7ox
July 20, 2011, 05:30 PM
What type of weapons are you working with in reference to your Q1.? You can google the FM by specific weapon system. Most full automatic weapons have a misfire wait period for training environments. For example, the M2 .50cal has a wait period of 15 minutes (IIRC) after misfire before clearing the weapon on a range, in combat you do what you gotta do. The FM for each weapon has the details.

Tim the student
July 20, 2011, 06:12 PM
I doubt you will find anything for the M4/M16/M9, but maybe you will.

I'd look for a TM before an FM personally. Maybe you could dig up an old safety bulletin that has general guidelines.

No reg that I have ever heard of though. I can't imagine there is one.

Good luck.

For a 50 (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CBUQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.kmike.com%2F50%2FTM9-1005-213-10.pdf&rct=j&q=m2%20TM&ei=FlInTp-NE4qxsAKsqb07&usg=AFQjCNEZp57q5rLvr5Wxh1eUUqpEbhA7jw&sig2=XypIcxHTMZu73Hgio1P7EQ&cad=rja)

ball3006
July 20, 2011, 07:42 PM
Contact the reloading component manufacturers and see what they have to say about this....I have been shooting longer than most of you have been alive and I just use a little common sense. You all know cartridges go bang, click-bang, hang-bang, and no-bang. I always wait a count of 30 before ejecting a misfire. I sure don't want a hang-fire on the bench in front of me. I then reload the round and try it again. Most of the time it goes off. If it doesn't, I set it aside and salvage the components for reloading....chris3

olafhardtB
July 21, 2011, 06:05 AM
Nearly 48 years I was told to count to ten before I rejected a misfire. I remember it clearly to this day. The seargent that told us did not offer a written instruction, but I haven't forgotten.

1911fan
July 21, 2011, 11:14 AM
Infantry school was over forty years ago and I trained on so many weapons I can't remember them all--what's the wait time on a misfiring M67 90mm recoilless rifle, or an M-79 grenade launcher? I wouldn't want either one of those cooking off in my immediate vicinity!

Artillery school was thirty years ago, add a bunch more wait times. They're different for fixed or semi-fixed versus separate loading ammunition where you only have to change out the primer.

To my knowledge no actual regulation exists that sets a hard and fast rule concerning wait times.

Like the man said, in training or practice, wait a bit before you eject--when I bought my Yugo M24/47, I read all sorts of horror stories of the surplus 8mm ammo requiring cookoff time. Never had it happen but I'm aware that it could.

In combat, cycle the action and get the weapon working again. If you have time, grab the ejected round and throw it over the berm at the bad guys. Let THEM enjoy any cookoff!

ed

Zach S
July 21, 2011, 12:47 PM
If you have time, grab the ejected round and throw it over the berm at the bad guys.
I wont be picking that up...

The only hangfires I've encountered were with 22lr, and I could probably count those on one hand with a few fingers left over, bad pun unintended...

If I have a misfire and I'm shooting something with second-strike capability (my 1911, for example), I count to ten and then it gets hit again. Normally goes bang, Remington GBs excluded...

I've never had a hangfire when shooting centerfire. I would probably TRB due to the fact I have a few crap magazines in rotation for range use, just so I can practice clearing real malfunctions.

mrpennywhistle
July 21, 2011, 05:37 PM
A foreign weapon that's not a bullet

youngda9
July 21, 2011, 05:44 PM
LOL...don't feed the trolls.

If you enjoyed reading about "2 things:" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!