Had a funny moment today

PDA

Shienhausser
July 21, 2011, 02:20 AM
I was cleaning an old grill with my step-dad today using a spray bottle full of simple green.

(He's a gun owner as well)

As I was picking the spray bottle up he turns to me and says "ya know, maybe you've been shooting too much". I said "what do you mean?" He points to my hand and not realizing it I had my index finger straight out, not on the "trigger" while gripping the bottle, not on the spray trigger until I was ready to clean. We laughed quite a bit at that.

Guess I have the muscle memory part down eh?

If you enjoyed reading about "Had a funny moment today" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
kva47
July 21, 2011, 02:40 AM
I do that with spray bottles all the time without even thinking about it. I find it reassuring that it's an ingrained habit.

Oathkeeper1775
July 21, 2011, 02:47 AM
Before long, you will need a sprayer's safety class/card and a way to lock
up the spray bottle when not in use.

Can you get a match trigger or night sights for it?

:D

Davey Wavey
July 21, 2011, 02:48 AM
I find myself doing that as well with the Mr. Scrubbing Bubbles power sprayer and other chemicals.

Deus Machina
July 21, 2011, 05:28 AM
I do that, too, with everything with a trigger.

An older customer even pointed it out at work, while I was using a tape gun.

Danb1215
July 21, 2011, 05:55 AM
Not only do I practice excellent trigger control with a squirt bottle while watering plants, but my muzzle direction is equally impressive. I also always treat the bottle as if it were full of water at all times.

Geckgo
July 21, 2011, 07:21 AM
HAHAHA, this cheers me up and makes me self conscious about weather I do the same thing. I have not caught myself yet though.

ol' scratch
July 21, 2011, 12:54 PM
I do that too. It makes my wife laugh. I didn't even notice it until she brought it up.

Clifford
July 21, 2011, 01:34 PM
Same here. I find myself doing that with my air impact guns at work. A co worker (who is a shooter himself) pointed that out to me a couple years ago. I had never even noticed that I did it, but its a good habit to have. He also pointed out that when I attach and disconnect the air lines to my impact guns I hold them in the same manner as I hold my match pistol while reloading.

Deltaboy
July 21, 2011, 01:36 PM
LOL It is a ingrained habit with me too!

JoeMal
July 21, 2011, 01:41 PM
Haha this is a great thread. I'm glad I'm not the only one :o :p

youngda9
July 21, 2011, 01:42 PM
I caught myself doing it with nail guns a while back while building a house.

dagger dog
July 21, 2011, 06:34 PM
That is a malady is known as TACTICOOL finger.
After a few years you won't be able to use that index finger and you'll have to learn to shoot weak hand.:D

FROGO207
July 21, 2011, 06:54 PM
I know what you mean. I find myself stopping after 6 pulls often out of habit also.:D

Presto
July 21, 2011, 08:41 PM
Once in a while, I'll have trouble getting the battery out of a cordless drill at work because I'm trying to release it using the reverse button that happens to be on the grip in the same place my mag relases are.

CapnMac
July 21, 2011, 08:46 PM
LoL--been there for cordless drills, too.
Have my hand out to catch the battery, too.
Then, I realize I've reached up to snatch the "stuck" battery about the time I realize I need to press the release catches.
I've not yet grabbed a new battery and tried to sweep it in.
Yet.

wuluf
July 21, 2011, 08:49 PM
As a licensed pest control professional, i'm careful not to point my sprayer at anything i don't want pesticided. Every sprayer is always loaded.....

CharlesT
July 21, 2011, 08:58 PM
You guys... lol

smalls
July 21, 2011, 09:09 PM
Clifford - I do the same thing with pneumatic drills and rivet guns, haha.

orionengnr
July 21, 2011, 09:32 PM
My wife busted me for doing the same thing with my Makita a number of years ago. Thought I was the only one.

Loved the post about "muzzle discipline" with the squirt bottle. Now I'll be checking myself for that too. :)

JellyJar
July 21, 2011, 10:12 PM
Four rules!!!

1. All water bottles are always full!

2. Never point the muzzle of a water bottle at anything you don't want to get wet.

3. Never put your finger on the trigger unless you are ready to spray!

4. Always be aware of your backstop so that you don't get the cat wet by accident! ( Cats don't like that )

:evil:

Shienhausser
July 21, 2011, 10:20 PM
Haha, nice guys. I feel a little better now.

Anyone have ideas of what we can call it, this syndrome of ours?

Post Traumatic Finger Syndrome?

harrygunner
July 21, 2011, 10:22 PM
Weak hand pressed to your stomach as you raise the bottle? :D

Shienhausser
July 21, 2011, 10:29 PM
BTW, Windex is right hand left eye closed.

Something like Soft Scrub, way more powerful, left hand (southpaw here) both eyes open.

Clifford
July 21, 2011, 11:06 PM
I have laughed out loud a few times already.

bk42261
July 21, 2011, 11:20 PM
I dry-fire my Model 65 from time to time, and my cat knows it's safe as long as my finger is straight out . As soon as my finger moves at all to the firing position, he flies out of the room.

Shienhausser
July 22, 2011, 12:07 AM
My cat laid down on my hands and keyboard 4 times today when I trying to type on this site. Wish he was as reasonable as yours lol.

PedalBiker
July 22, 2011, 12:13 AM
My moment wasn't so funny. I hooked up a bottle of lawn weed killer to the hose and turned on the water. As I went to twist the nozzle to start spraying the whole mechanism came out and I got a face full of water.

I was not wearing my glasses (I always do when shooting). I got a face full of water. At least the lesson didn't cost me too much, the sprayer had not had a chance to pick up any chemicals when it cut loose.

It turned out the water in the hose was really hot and it must have caused the plastic to get soft.

Owen Sparks
July 22, 2011, 01:33 AM
I catch myself "counting rounds" with a staple gun.

Someone said: BTW, Windex is right hand left eye closed.
If you are still closing one eye it means that you are not shooting enough.

Shienhausser
July 22, 2011, 01:35 AM
but you don't understand, my windows get REALLY dirty! I have to focus.

Deus Machina
July 22, 2011, 02:47 AM
Once in a while, I'll have trouble getting the battery out of a cordless drill at work because I'm trying to release it using the reverse button that happens to be on the grip in the same place my mag relases are.

I do that exact same thing!

I also have a habit of pointing the staple gun to the ground when hooking up the air.

2low
July 22, 2011, 03:08 AM
Just remember everyone. Guns don't kill peopl. . .hair trigger spray bottles do.

BigDaddyNEB
July 22, 2011, 03:12 PM
I also index my finger with spray bottles at work. What really funny is that during bowling season, I walk around with my fingers spread out to a fingertip grip.

dirtykid
July 22, 2011, 03:25 PM
weak-hand on your belly ,, LOL !!

If you enjoyed reading about "Had a funny moment today" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!