9mm: CCI Blazer Brass vs. PMC Bronze

PDA

cbrgator
July 22, 2011, 09:11 PM
For practice ammo... How do these two compare to each other? If they cost exactly the same, which would you buy? Normally I just buy WWB from Wal-Mart because it used to be cheaper. Not true anymore. I plan on ordering a case of one of these based on your feedback.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/images/1827.jpg VS. http://palmettostatearmory.com/images/556.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "9mm: CCI Blazer Brass vs. PMC Bronze" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Strahley
July 22, 2011, 09:15 PM
Whichever is cheaper

cbrgator
July 22, 2011, 09:38 PM
They cost exactly the same.

bigfatdave
July 22, 2011, 09:45 PM
buy a case of each then

Shipwreck
July 22, 2011, 10:04 PM
Blazer brass rocks. In a magazine review of the cheapest, typical use target ammo. Blazer Brass was the most accurate, if I remember right

1SOW
July 22, 2011, 10:28 PM
"ATK" makes FC, CCI, Blazer, Speer, et al. It's very good brass.
In 9mm it's fairly "soft" which can be a good thing.

I may be picking up your cases at the range, so get the Blazer.

heeler
July 22, 2011, 10:55 PM
Since both run excellent in my PM9 I would get which ever one was available and in stock.
If both are and since you are already thinking of buying a case(20 boxes) why not get 10 boxes of each?
As far as I am concerned both are quality ammo.

cbrgator
July 22, 2011, 11:17 PM
If both are and since you are already thinking of buying a case(20 boxes) why not get 10 boxes of each?

Big savings on shipping by the case.

I'm running the ammo through a Glock 19 which eats anything, and I know both brands are reliable. Just curious if one was hotter than the other, or cleaner, etc.

m2steven
July 22, 2011, 11:34 PM
I've shot both and I like both. I've purchased more PMC ammo than Blazer Brass for 9mm and it's very reliable so far. Never a misfire nor any other problems.

Based upon the poster who is going to be picking up your brass, I'd probably go with the CCI stuff. If the brass is good enough to reload it's probably good brass. I've noticed that some Blazer brass is thin and can be deformed by jamming it into a magazine. That will sometimes cause feed problems. However, it's only happened rarely and it was obvious I bent the shells being 'in a hurry'.

Dr_B
July 23, 2011, 01:09 AM
I have over 500 empties of Blazer 9mm in an old ammo can. I like it. And it's made right down the road from me.

Apocalypse-Now
July 23, 2011, 02:42 AM
i get tighter groups in all calibers with pmc than blazer brass. not enough to pay extra for it though. i just get whatever's cheapest.

ojibweindian
July 23, 2011, 10:29 AM
From a reloader's viewpoint, I'd go with the PMC. I occasionally have issues with Blazer 9mm brass getting stuck in my resizing die because the brass rim gets "ripped" off on the down-stroke of my press.

It's not an everyday occurence; it's not even an every week occurence. It's just enough to be mildly irritating.

Strahley
July 23, 2011, 12:50 PM
If they were the exact same price? I would decide how many boxes I wanted, then I would split it 50/50...give both companies some business

cbrgator
July 23, 2011, 04:42 PM
If they were the exact same price? I would decide how many boxes I wanted, then I would split it 50/50...give both companies some business
Big savings on shipping if I just get a case of one instead of half and half. Don't want to buy more than that until I can evaluate the ammo myself.

possum
July 23, 2011, 08:32 PM
if the cost was the same, I would get the PMC. PMC has never done me wrong in many many thousands rounds of .233 /.40/ 9mm

GLOOB
July 24, 2011, 01:52 AM
In 45 ACP, I prefer PMC. Blazer Brass was very dirty, and I think it actually lead fouled my Glock, despite being FMJ ball. (It was either the Blazer Brass or the UMC). Although that was 3 years ago. No problems, yet, with my current stock of PMC.

Never shot either in 9mm, but I do prefer the PMC brass in luger.

PMC Bronze 40SW is loaded pretty hot.

One additional sidenote: PMC seems to be one of the only companies that packages their 40SW ammo in a specifically sized tray, rather than the old 45-sized, one size fits all approach. That might make a difference if you were going to buy and store a case of 40SW.

I'm miffed that the ammo holder companies (MTM, Frankford, et al) aren't making boxes specifically for 40SW, yet.

Dogguy
July 24, 2011, 11:15 AM
I've used both and neither of them stand out as being any better or worse than the other. Try a box of each of them, see if you like one over the other.

cbrgator
July 25, 2011, 07:57 PM
Is one known to be dirtier than the other?

MikeNice
July 25, 2011, 08:30 PM
Go with Aguila 9mm 124gr for $95.95 at Ammo to Go. It is about $112.86 with shipping.

You can get 500 rounds of Speer Lawman 124gr for $133.50 shipped from SGammo.com They also have 500 round cases of Winchester Ranger 147gr FMJ for about $119.00 shipped.

Of the two you posted I would go with the Blazer. I am a fan of CCI products for range use. They tend to be clean and very consistent.

cbrgator
July 26, 2011, 05:49 PM
Why Aguila?

MikeNice
July 26, 2011, 11:00 PM
It is cheaper and is made by Remington's plant in Mexico. It is actually the same load carried by many of the Mexican army and police. So, basically you are getting slightly hotter 124gr Remington LE range ammo for $11.28 a box.

I should say it is a better choice if you use heavier ammo for carry, imo.

VP
July 26, 2011, 11:25 PM
For straight plinking ammo get some USA Ammo (Usaammo.com). They also throw in a free box of 115gr FMJ 9mm with a purchase of a decent size. They also have a "MOREAMMO" coupon code for 1/2 off shipping.... It's just what I like!

Get R Done Guns
July 26, 2011, 11:26 PM
Personally, like the CCI. Shoots great out of all our test guns.

Fishslayer
July 27, 2011, 12:04 AM
PMC brass is one of my favorites for reloading, especially the .45ACP flavor.

Get the PMC... I'll police your brass for ya. ;)

GaryG
July 27, 2011, 08:08 PM
For straight plinking ammo get some USA Ammo (Usaammo.com). They also throw in a free box of 115gr FMJ 9mm with a purchase of a decent size. They also have a "MOREAMMO" coupon code for 1/2 off shipping.... It's just what I like!
Here's a link to a recent rifle KaBoom with USA Ammo:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/543339_Epic_KABOOM_today___SandW_MandP15T_destroyed.html&page=1

Not sure I'd pick them over the other available options out there.

VP
July 28, 2011, 12:59 AM
Here's a link to a recent rifle KaBoom with USA Ammo:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/543339_Epic_KABOOM_today___SandW_MandP15T_destroyed.html&page=1

Not sure I'd pick them over the other available options out there.
Excellent. Now I have to decide what I am going to do with the rest of the ammo I have from them!

chrt396
July 28, 2011, 01:27 AM
Get a box of each locally. Shoot it through YOUR gun. Analyze which one is more accurate to you and YOUR gun...then step up and buy a case!

2ndtimer
July 28, 2011, 01:39 AM
Blazer brass ammo is manufactured in the USA, while the PMC, while good quality, is made in Korea. While I like my wife's Kia Optima (also made in Korea), I would prefer my ammo to be "homegrown". I have had good experience with both, but I guess the USA label would sway me, all else being equal. I am glad that my favorite .223 ammo (Fiocchi 40 gr V-Max) is assembled in Kansas.

MJ_ATL
July 28, 2011, 06:39 PM
I will never buy PMC Bronze again after the case I had where every box had inconsistent powder charges. I've never had this with S&B, any CCI Blazer, Federal, or Winchester.

hardluk1
July 28, 2011, 07:22 PM
get the one thats cheaper. Its only practice ammo. If price is the same . PMC

rick melear
July 28, 2011, 07:31 PM
Scrap em both, buy Wolf or Brown Bear or what ever steel case is cheapest. If my Glock ever tasted brass cased ammo it would probably puke.Steel cased rules, just sayin

voyager4520
July 29, 2011, 12:52 PM
I vote PMC Bronze. I've shot both in .40, Blazer Brass gets your fingers much dirtier just handling the unfired stuff and the residue it leaves in the gun is very dirty and well, stinks. PMC Bronze is cleaner to handle, doesn't leave as much residue after firing, and smells like real gun powder.

I've never had a problem with either, but Blazer Brass is dirty stuff compared to most brands. PMC Bronze is among the cleanest.

Topspeed
July 29, 2011, 02:52 PM
I have fired large quantities of both and prefer CCI Blazer Brass. They are both fairly equal but I lean toward CCI.

GLOOB
July 29, 2011, 07:59 PM
double

GLOOB
July 29, 2011, 08:01 PM
I've shot a lot of PMC, in 40 and 45. I've shot a lot of Blazer in 45. Objectively, the PMC shoots cleaner. No powder film covering the last inch of the muzzle. The PMC FMJ looks like real jacketed bullets, not plated. And most reloaders prefer PMC handgun brass over Blazer.

But Blazer is made in the USA, which I'm guessing is the main reason it's winning in the polls. Or maybe it's familiarity. I wonder what the poll would look like if you removed everyone who hasn't actually shot large quantities of both.

It's not a matter of "they're both good, but I slightly prefer..." There's no contest in my own limited experience. PMC for the win.

Now Blazer Brass vs UMC... I'll take Blazer.

tahunua001
July 29, 2011, 08:21 PM
I would go with CCI for 2 reasons(well maybe more).
1.ATK makes CCI and since ammo is the one place the gubment doesn't go with the lowest bidder on, if it's good enough for the army, airforce, navy and marines, it's good enough for me
2. there's a CCI plant near where I live that's one of the few remaining reasons my hometown still exists.

cbrgator
July 30, 2011, 11:11 AM
Seems like I can't go wrong either way.

wally
July 31, 2011, 10:40 AM
In a magazine review of the cheapest, typical use target ammo. Blazer Brass was the most accurate,

I don't put much stock in this, I've seen "reviews" using 5 shot groups with Wolf being the "most accurate".

This one ranked them Wolf, Winchester white box, CCI Blazer:
http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu6.htm

If they are the same price, I'd get the Blazer just because its still made in the US.

dondavis3
July 31, 2011, 10:46 AM
I use either one.

Both seem to work the same as the other.
:cool:

rellascout
July 31, 2011, 11:36 AM
I have shot over a lot of Blazer Brass. As a side note these days Champion at Wally World is basically the new Blazer Brass. Somewhere in the range of 5,000 rounds... Good ammo never really had any issues. As others noted it is dirty but all cheap ammo is.

I have shot about 1,500 of PMC got it on sale from Cabelas. It is OK but in my experience is loaded light. Decent range ammo.

Neither one is my go to range ammo. These days RWS 124 gr or Fiocchi for just a bit more in bulk is a better deal.

bigfatdave
July 31, 2011, 02:12 PM
This one ranked them Wolf, Winchester white box, CCI Blazer:
http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu6.htmAnd why is that so hard to believe?
It might be for that particular weapon, or it could have something to do with the ammo crunch and the lowered QC standards of WWB and the cheapo CCI plinking ammo

Or who knows, maybe the factory making Wolf has really consistent bullet weights and powder charges?

Warp
July 31, 2011, 06:17 PM
It really doesn't matter. Really. They are broth great practice ammo.

Flip a coin.

Philippe
July 31, 2011, 06:21 PM
I've shot tons of the blazer brass in both 9mm and .45 and they never gave me one bad round and they were all what i expected in accuracy from ammo of that catagory.

bigfatdave
July 31, 2011, 09:26 PM
OP must have ordered some ammo by now, hopefully a case of each to figure out which to order in massive bulk next time.

If you enjoyed reading about "9mm: CCI Blazer Brass vs. PMC Bronze" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!