Is suppressing a .45 ACP pistol worth it?

PDA

Armed012002
July 23, 2011, 01:02 AM
I'm considering buying a Silencerco Osprey to suppress a .45 ACP pistol. I will be using a Colt 1911 with a Stormlake threaded barrel.

My primary purpose for it will be home defense. Less sound and flash make for much improved night vision and situational awareness. My secondary purpose for it would be competition and target shooting.

Concerns/Questions:

It looks awfully cumbersome. Unlike a rimfire pistol with a rimfire suppressor, a 1911 with an Osprey looks very nose heavy and long.

Would a carbine with a suppressor be better suited than a pistol with a suppressor?

Does anyone make a holster for it? I figure across the chest like how people carry .454 Casulls, .500 Magnums, and other big revolvers.

I assume people do buy them and there is a market considering Silencerco made a pistol suppressor BEFORE a rifle suppressor. I think a rifle suppressor makes more sense, but evidently, pistol suppressors are the cat's meow at Silencerco :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Is suppressing a .45 ACP pistol worth it?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
kimbershot
July 23, 2011, 09:39 AM
no:what:

Rail Driver
July 23, 2011, 10:21 AM
Not to detract from the previous post in any way, but I would like to answer one or two of your questions...

It isn't as heavy as it looks. The osprey is also offset so you're able to still use your sights (a big bonus to me). It's quiet (one of the quietest on the market for .45ACP). It's long, no denying that. Tough to find a holster that will fit. I know several people, however, that use QD attachments and carry the suppressor in a flashlight pouch on their weak side. Check your local laws regarding the carry of NFA items.

A carbine with a suppressor would be MUCH quieter and more effective (terminally speaking) than a pistol, and for home defense you want the most effective weapon that you can shoot (effectively). A rifle (even in a pistol caliber) is always going to be more ballistically effective than a handgun.

Also, you may want to look into some of Thompson Machine's offerings... Their cans are supposed to be shot wet, but I've heard several of them dry and they are comparable to about anything out there and superior to some.

thorazine
July 23, 2011, 03:52 PM
Is suppressing a .45 ACP pistol worth it?

Yes.

I have an older AAC Evolution.

Without the suppressor -- hearing protection is absolutely needed.

With the suppressor and about three to four cc's of water -- hearing protection is not needed.

The difference is amazing.

-and-

You'll see a little better results with the Osprey.

GoingQuiet
July 23, 2011, 09:31 PM
I'm considering buying a Silencerco Osprey to suppress a .45 ACP pistol. I will be using a Colt 1911 with a Stormlake threaded barrel.

My primary purpose for it will be home defense. Less sound and flash make for much improved night vision and situational awareness. My secondary purpose for it would be competition and target shooting.

Concerns/Questions:

It looks awfully cumbersome. Unlike a rimfire pistol with a rimfire suppressor, a 1911 with an Osprey looks very nose heavy and long.

Would a carbine with a suppressor be better suited than a pistol with a suppressor?

Does anyone make a holster for it? I figure across the chest like how people carry .454 Casulls, .500 Magnums, and other big revolvers.

I assume people do buy them and there is a market considering Silencerco made a pistol suppressor BEFORE a rifle suppressor. I think a rifle suppressor makes more sense, but evidently, pistol suppressors are the cat's meow at Silencerco :D
I don't think I'd defend my house with it unless it were a last resort. My cans are not on my guns unless I am on the range.

The Osprey is a solid choice though, I do stock and sell a lot of them.

Nobody makes a holster that works - I checked.

SharpsDressedMan
July 23, 2011, 09:51 PM
It's more expensive, the cans are bigger, the gun/suppessor combo is usually heavier, and the suppression is generally not as effective as 9mm. You be the judge.

wally
July 24, 2011, 02:53 PM
I'm considering buying a Silencerco Osprey to suppress a .45 ACP pistol

I hope its worth it! I'm scheduled to pick mine up on Saturday.

Initially its going on my FNP Tactical, but I plan to get the adapter to use it on a 9mm pistol and SBR. I'm willing to give up a few db in suppression for flexibility since the $200 for the transfer and the wait is painful.

Silencerco has some nice videos on youTube showing the 45 Osprey on a 9mm vs. a 9mm Osprey on a 9mm with 10 shot noise reduction averages.

jawn
July 24, 2011, 02:55 PM
They get pretty quiet. You get used to the front-heaviness. My buddy has a Ti-Rant .45 on his 1911 and it's really not all that bad to get used to shooting.

Armed012002
July 24, 2011, 05:04 PM
How front heavy is it?

I've shot an 8.38" barrel S&W 500 Magnum which is the heaviest handgun I've shot. Comparable?

GoingQuiet
July 24, 2011, 05:22 PM
How front heavy is it?

I've shot an 8.38" barrel S&W 500 Magnum which is the heaviest handgun I've shot. Comparable?
It isn't heavy at all. Pistol cans barely weigh anything, rifle cans on the other hand....

Armed012002
July 24, 2011, 06:24 PM

According to S&W, the 500 Magnum I shot weighs 72 oz. and has an overall length of 15".

A 1911 with Osprey will weigh 51 oz. and have an overall length of 17".

21 oz. lighter and 2" longer.

hub
July 24, 2011, 08:44 PM
I would also recommend you look into a Thompson Machine can, the Poseidon .45 specifically. The Poseidon .45 is a micro suppressor that is only 4.5 inches long and only weighs around 4 Oz.

I own two Thompson cans, a Zephyr XL and a CHD and I am really pleased with both. They are quiet and well made.

Here's a video of the Poseidon .45.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hjq_S_E9zhk

gunbuff1
July 26, 2011, 03:53 AM
Don't quote me on this, but if you're looking to do some competition shooting with the silencer setup, it could give you an added advantage as a compensator and improve your aim stability.

Also, you can alway ghetto rig a similar holster, or just make your own and become a little smarter for it :)

GoingQuiet
July 27, 2011, 12:45 AM
Don't quote me on this, but if you're looking to do some competition shooting with the silencer setup, it could give you an added advantage as a compensator and improve your aim stability.

Also, you can alway ghetto rig a similar holster, or just make your own and become a little smarter for it :)
I can't think of a single competition that allows silencers.

Utah Shotgunner
July 27, 2011, 11:39 PM
Post #1.

I shoot my suppressed AR at 3-Gun matches quite regularly.

wally
July 30, 2011, 06:38 PM
Back from the gun show where I met up with the dealer and did the transfer.

Can't wait to shoot it! so far I've resisted the temptation to pop off a few rounds into the swimming pool :evil:

I've got Monday off and can't wait to get to the range.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=146484&stc=1&d=1312065436

Its remarkably light weight and nowhere near as front heavy as it looks.

Mike1234567
July 30, 2011, 06:49 PM
WALLY... Nice combo. The suppressor looks like it was made just for your FNP. how long was your wait for the paperwork to clear?

wally
July 30, 2011, 08:14 PM
how long was your wait for the paperwork to clear?

From the time the BATFE cashed my check, to the dealer calling to say the stamp had come back, was almost exactly four months. Since he was out of Dallas, it was most convenient to pick it up at the next Houston gun show which was two weeks later.

Next on the wish list are extended, threaded barrel for my Glock 22 and the adapters to fit the suppressor to it and my 9mm AR.

wally
August 1, 2011, 10:47 PM
Keep in mind that even when suppressed, a gun is still very loud- think jackhammer tearing up asphalt loud

Having shot it for the first time today without hearing protection I can say this is very wrong, at least for this combination. The impact of the bullet on the steel plates 10 yards away was way louder than the gun! In fact afterwards I shot a bunch of .22LR with earpro and it was much louder with hearing protection than the Osprey was without.

The Osprey is so light, handling is a dream and the muzzle flip is less than I'd ever experienced in a .45ACP before. It doesn't interfere with the sights because the FNP Tactical has very tall sights for use with a suppressor out of the box, and I was using an RMR optic which sits even higher.

I will need taller sights in addition to a threaded barrel for other guns. Anyone know who makes tall sights for use with a suppressor and good suppliers for threaded barrels? Lone Wolf has Glock covered, I'd like to see what other options I might have.

Bottom line, to answer the question in the thread title, H**L yes! It's worth it!

I think a rifle suppressor makes more sense
The problem with a rifle is no matter how good the suppressor you still have the Mach 2-3 supersonic crack of the bullet, unless you go to heavy bullets and sub-sonic velocities, which, rifle or not bring you down to pistol level in bullet energy.

A .308 can is in my future, for sure after how much fun this is on a pistol!

Ranb
August 2, 2011, 01:31 PM
I have heard jackhammers and a 45 suppressed with an osprey. The suppressed 45 is way less noisy. I think it is irresponsible to claim that a work of art like the Osprey is as loud as a jackhammer unless they are compared side by side.

I am also very happy with my suppressed high powered rilfes. A silencer is not intended to deal with anything but muzzle blast.

Ranb

thorazine
August 3, 2011, 12:52 PM
I think both the osprey and the jackhammer fall within the same decibel range (120-130) so technically it is just as loud or approaching the range of a jackhammer.

Wet I think the osprey was tested at low to mid 120's for the 45?

The noise from the suppressor happens so fast and has a significantly shorter duration than the jackhammer.

Alex23
August 3, 2011, 01:30 PM
I did read your rationale for wanting it but not sure it is sensible. Cans are great but for SD? Flash suppression ok I guess but 45 in close quarters will still make a large report add in the handling and uhhh...

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

Guns&Religion
August 3, 2011, 01:49 PM
My primary purpose for it will be home defense

Not a good idea, in my opinion.

Having a large can on the front of your handgun would make it easier for a perp to grab hold of the pistol in close quarters and direct the barrel away from himself. :eek:

A little hearing loss is a small price to pay for defending my wife and kids. That's my opinion anyway.

taliv
August 5, 2011, 01:47 PM
a few comments:

i have the FDE FNP45 tactical and Osprey combo. I love it. Definitely my fav handgun.

I don't believe any "perp" is going to grab hold of a pistol (unless you're an complete idiot and not pointing it at them and firing)

However, you should consider the effect a suppressor may have on "gun shot residue". Ayoob has several threads on here about the cost of defending yourself with handloads due to lack of database of GSR. IANAL but I would think using a suppressor would be similarly expensive if it reduces the GSR and makes it appear that you were farther away from the bad guy than your testimony stated.

More specifically, I'd think it would be an extraordinarily bad move to shoot someone with a suppressor and then remove the suppressor before the po-po shows up

SharpsDressedMan
August 6, 2011, 01:11 AM
I guess logic has no place here. "Why would you ever want to have or use a suppressor?" Answer: "Ever fired a gun?" The logic for using a suppressor is very simple. How convoluted a lawyer or prosecutor might make of this simple logic boggles the mind. The entire issue should be about any validation or invalidation of the justificaton for the self defense. What the hell does having a quieter gun have to do with any of that?

Mike1234567
August 6, 2011, 09:21 AM
Doesn't anyone here get it? A psycho with a pistol and a sound suppressor can walk through any city in broad daylight and murder at will without anyone noticing him because the SS gives its user the power of invisibility. A single killer with a SS can take out millions and millions of people in his lifetime. Also, no Investigator will ever find any clues because the SS covers all tracks. Lastly, no SWAT team will ever be a match for a guy with a SS.

ETA: (reference post #29) My post is a JOKE!!:D:neener:

SharpsDressedMan
August 6, 2011, 02:04 PM
Oh, we get it here. However, we are talking about legally registered/background checked citizens suppressors, same as machineguns. Not saying a Class III owner can't go psycho, but we have military/police/ and other government "potential psychos" out there, too, and a backgrounded civilian might have undergone more scrutiny to possess a suppressor than police, government, or military personnel with access to same. As far as UNREGISTERED suppressors, good luck with that. There are probably THOUSANDS out there, and so far, no one has gone on a spree. After all, isn't that WHY we allow suppressors, with legal parameters, to allow for law abiding to have, and discourage the non-law abiding? I suppose a person hell bent on having an illegal one will do so, but he probably can in even the most restrictive environment (Russia, China, etc).

thorazine
August 6, 2011, 03:21 PM
Doesn't anyone here get it? A psycho with a pistol and a sound suppressor can walk through any city in broad daylight and murder at will without anyone noticing him because the SS gives its user the power of invisibility. A single killer with a SS can take out millions and millions of people in his lifetime. Also, no Investigator will ever find any clues because the SS covers all tracks. Lastly, no SWAT team will ever be a match for a guy with a SS.

Mmmmkay.

withdrawn34
August 6, 2011, 03:28 PM
lol folks, Mike was clearly being facetious. Lighten up :)

SharpsDressedMan
August 6, 2011, 04:05 PM
I'm all for a joke, but giving nuts (some that probably follow THR) ideas they don't already have sometimes backfires. Ever read the Tom Clancy book "Debt of Honor"? I have always wondered if it influences 9/11..........

GreyCoupe
August 8, 2011, 09:13 PM
In a SHTF situation, I want the easiest to shoot weapon I can get. A suppressor is unwieldy. I want my bad guy to be discouraged from advancing and convinced to vacate the premises. If your aim is not red hot in a life or death situation, it will not be aided by a suppressor, and if all the bad guy has to fear is the noise, I want it as loud as I can make it. If bad guy is rational, the sound of your .45's business end is a big plus.

Besides, lots of smart folks believe that in a self-defense situation, a pistol is only what you shoot until you can get to your shotgun.

Your and your family's ears will clear [albeit potentially damaged], if you have acted swiftly enough to interdict an in-house threat...

Bobson
August 11, 2011, 12:24 AM
Just thinking with my keyboard here, but wouldn't any holster with an open muzzle-end work just fine?

I thought of the obvious problem of a long draw if the holster was mounted on the belt, but what about a thigh rig? Say a Blackhawk SERPA on the thigh, for example? Even with a 8"-9" suppressor, the draw length would be about the same as if it were a normal belt-mounted holster.

Eyesac
August 12, 2011, 03:12 PM
I don't know about you guys, but w/ a can (w/ neilson device) I don't get the reliablilty I'd want for SD. With the same load in the same gun with the same barrel, I get 100% reliablilty. With the same set up + a can, I get a failure to feed every once in a while...

wally
August 12, 2011, 10:34 PM
My FNP45 requires full power 230gr ammo to function, Nothing changed after adding the Osprey. Wolf Ball is full power enough - ran about 300 rounds through it with the can on so far, no where near as dirty as I expected afterwards.

devildog66
August 28, 2011, 11:45 AM
A friend put a Silencerco Osprey on a Glock 21 and the weight of the suppressor was nearly unnoticeable. Remarkably well-made and amazingly simple to mount and unmount. Simply put, I covet the same for my .45.

wally
August 29, 2011, 11:40 AM
I put my Osprey45 on my Glock 17L with a Lone Wolf threaded barrel.

My "standard" 147 gr load functioned fine with the stock barrel, but I was disappointed to find that the load wouldn't reliabley cycle with the LW barrel -- suppressed or not.

Upped the powder to near max and function was near perfect except for a couple of failures to lock back on the last shot. I couldn't really perceive any difference in the shooting from the extra 0.2 gr powder. Its a sweet shooting combination.

Wolf 9mm functioned perfectly in it, but it was significantly louder because of the supersonic velocity.

If you enjoyed reading about "Is suppressing a .45 ACP pistol worth it?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!