DSA FAL accuracy

PDA

natedog
January 20, 2004, 02:50 PM
What kind of accuracy could one expect from the standard STG-58 from DSA ARMS?

If you enjoyed reading about "DSA FAL accuracy" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
blfuller
January 20, 2004, 03:14 PM
Probably 3-4 moa at 100 yds using a decent quality surplus ammo. Match ammo will probably tighten things up a bit, providing you are doing your part.

Nightcrawler
January 20, 2004, 03:16 PM
On those exceptionally rare occasions when I'm shooting in 5-shot strings, from sandbags, and through a scope, I've gotten 3" groups from my STG-58.

You do mean the Authentic Austrian STG, right? 'Cause the all-US made rifles are SA-58s. I don't know if they're any more or less accurate.

natedog
January 20, 2004, 03:42 PM
No, I was talking about the American made ones. 3-4" groups doesn't seem right from a $1300 rifle.

Master Blaster
January 20, 2004, 03:47 PM
Its combat accurate like an ak-47. I had done some reading on this and usually military standards are that a rifle should be able to shoot 2 moa.

You could always get a SAIGA in .308 they are manufactured to do 2 moa and can be had brand new for under $250. But you can only get 8 round magazines so that is their drawback.

Nightcrawler
January 20, 2004, 04:13 PM
No, I was talking about the American made ones. 3-4" groups doesn't seem right from a $1300 rifle.

Well, they have the medium contour and the bull barrel models in 21", should get better accuracy.

Best thing to do is ask over at The FAL Files (http://www.falfiles.com). Plenty of people over there with more experience than I.

Basically, though, it isn't going to be any less accurate than a rack, non-match-grade M14, G3, or other service rifle.

SodaPop
January 20, 2004, 05:16 PM
My DSA-STG58 Type II gets 1.5MOA with Portugese surplus and 2.5 MOA with South African. Federal Gold Match 168gr gets 1MOA at 100yds and spread to 7inches at 500yds. I might be able to do better on a less windy day.

I have a 3-12x40 Sightron scope on it.

No trigger work.

No heavy barrel.

iamkris
January 20, 2004, 08:31 PM
natedog

The STG58A from DSA isn't $1300...it is dealer price $795 from DSA (have your FFL order direct). Their SA58 is the $1300 one

I have the STG58 DSA. I get 1" groups at 50 yards with Lake City match ammo. Port surplus shoots about 1.5". I'm sad to say I haven't had it out at 100 yds yet.

curt
January 20, 2004, 09:05 PM
I don't have a DSA but a FAL i built recently shot a 2.45" group ( 5 shot 100yd) off of a rest with irons and cavim surplus ammo. I would expect a DSA to do at least that well if not better. Course any rifle can be a dog.

JohnKSa
January 21, 2004, 12:14 AM
I saw a review awhile back on the SA-58 rifles

Accuracy on the carbine & standard models was something like 2moa
Accuracy on the medium barrel was around 1-2moa
Accuracy on the heavy barrel model was moa or submoa.

Been awhile since I read the article, I could be off a bit on the higher numbers. Pretty sure about the heavy barrel & medium contour barrel results though.

Nightcrawler
January 21, 2004, 12:57 AM
I'm not exactly a whiz when it comes to shooting groups, mind you. I'm sure my FAL can do better than that; come to think of it I think I got smaller groups than that.

Can put 20 rounds into a target the size of a human head at 200 yards off of the bipod.

When I can do it from standing, without a scope, I'll be really happy. :D

blfuller
January 21, 2004, 09:45 AM

There is a difference between the DSA StG-58 and the SA-58. My response was based on my experience with my own DSA "Authentic" StG-58, which was the rifle you asked about, not the SA-58. The SA-58 is a new rifle where the other is made from used Austrian StG-58 parts, except for the required US made parts and the DSA receiver which are new.

Based on a review from Gun Tests in July 2000 (this report is available in a PDF format on the DSA website if you want to read it first hand). The DSA SA-58 carbine with a 17.2" barrel with integral brake was able to do 1.25" groups with Federal Gold Medal Match Ammo. By contrast the best group they fired with Black Hills Match ammo was nearly 3". The barrels on the SA-58 are Cryogenically treated and probably have more of a match type chamber which enhances accuracy somewhat.

Just remember that the FAL is a battle rifle, not a match rifle. There are design issues that do not lend itself to accuracy in the FAL, one for example is the rear sight being attached to the lower receiver group instead of the barreled receiver. You must ask yourself if you want a match rifle or a battle rife. If you want a more consistant tight grouping rifle a bolt gun is probably your best choice, with an AR-10T or an accurized M1A would be second if you prefer a semi. I have a AR-10A4 that will do 3/4" with handloads. If you want a FAL, I would personally go with DSA's Authentic G1 or the StG-58. The sheetmetal handguards will get warm in rapid fire. If you prefer the SA-58 with the synthetic handguards and lifetime warranty you still can't go wrong. You never know what your rifle will do without experimenting with different ammo. Hope this helps.

If you enjoyed reading about "DSA FAL accuracy" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!