Japanese Type I Carcano rifle...

PDA

Carolina Kalash
July 25, 2011, 10:50 PM
do these use en-bloc clips like italian carcanos or is the stripper clip? I know the bolt is exactly like a carcano but didn't know if it used the mannicher clip system...

If you enjoyed reading about "Japanese Type I Carcano rifle..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jim Watson
July 25, 2011, 10:56 PM
Such as I have been able to Google in the past two minutes confirms my recollection that only the receiver and bolt are Mannlicher/Carcano, the magazine is Mauser type and is loaded off stripper clips. Probably the same clip as an Arisaka.
http://cosmolineandrust.blogspot.com/2007/05/japanese-type-i-rifle-unusual-hybrid.html

Carl N. Brown
July 25, 2011, 10:59 PM
They were made for the Japanese Navy when Arisaka production was all going to the Japanese Army. The stock, sights, magazine and caliber were similar to the Arisaka: only the Carcano bolt and receiver were used.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_I_Rifle

Vaarok
July 26, 2011, 01:08 PM
It uses a standard Arisaka stripper clip, and has a Mauser style double-stack box magazine.

In a pinch you can use Swedish stripper clips.

Jim K
July 26, 2011, 09:11 PM
There is some question about whether the Japanese wanted those rifles at all. They were the idea of one A. Hitler, who wanted his Axis partners to make a greater effort to support one another, ignoring the small fact that Japan was just a little distance from Italy and Germany. Anyway, Italy agreed to build some 60,000 rifles. The barrels were made by Terni. Rifle production was divided up: 50% by Regia Sezione Fabbrica d'Armi Esercito in Gardone, 25% by Beretta, and 25% by Fabbrica Nazionale d'Armi of Brescia. Production was completed in 1939 and all reached Japan.

Some were apparently used in combat by Japanese Navy Landing Parties (sometimes incorrectly called "Jap Marines" by Americans). Some show considerable evidence of rust and hard use; others I have seen are like new.

The receiver is typical Carcano, but the bolts will not interchange with Italian bolts because of the different location of the ejector.

Aside from the receiver, they are basically the Type 38 and even have the typical Japanese two piece stock. They take standard Japanese 6.5 ammo, Arisaka clips, bayonets, and slings. They do not have any chrysanthemum and never did, so none was "ground off." Other than the serial number, they have no marking other than a few inspection marks. The country of origin or manufacturer is not marked, presumably to conceal that information.

I don't know what the Japanese called those rifles. AFAIK, the term "Type I" originated with American collectors, the "I" presumably standing for "Italian."

Jim

If you enjoyed reading about "Japanese Type I Carcano rifle..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!