Range Safety Officers

PDA

Lubricant
July 26, 2011, 04:46 AM
Got a situation developing here with one of our"Range officers".Anybody have stories about the biggest range dink you've ever run across?

If you enjoyed reading about "Range Safety Officers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Evergreen
July 26, 2011, 05:16 AM
Yeah.. I do.. At my range where I lived, some of the officers can be quite hard-headed. E.g., I was shooting my AR-15 at the 100yd rifle range. My Ar has a flash hider like almost any other AR. Well, the range officer said I was not allowed to shoot on the middle benches and had to shoot at one of the far end benches because my gun has what appeared to be a muzzle break. I told him that my gun does not have a muzzle brake and that it is actually quite a bit quieter than many other guns at the range. He told me that was range rules and that I couldn't ever shoot at these benches again. He said any rifle with anything that looks like a muzzle brake must be shot at the end benches.

So, here I am, limited to the far end benches next to people shooting with muzzle brakes. THe loud noise was annoying and I had to wait to use the benches as many of them were taken up. That really $@!*# me off. What kind of range is so dim-witted and restrictive to AR users? Anyway, I decided to shoot my ARs on the middle benches again and the other range officers didn't say a word to me. It was just this one guy. A real old-timer, who of course, never owned any AR or AK style rifle. How do I know? Well, I asked him...

I respect rules and safety, but this was a prime example of range nazism.

RevDerb
July 26, 2011, 05:28 AM
I try not to be too critical of the people who are charged with protecting my life and limb. :what:

Evergreen
July 26, 2011, 06:10 AM
<Deleted "N" word...> Protecting my life? I don't see how making my experience at the range miserable is protecting my life. Since when is shooting a an AR-15 with a flash hider , life-threatening? Actually, it is things like this that make people lose respect for the range officers. That to me is more dangerous. Because, if a range officer penalizes you for everything you do, you may not take them serious, when in fact, it is very important what they are saying. For example, like when a guy decided to go change his targets while the range was hot and everyone was still shooting. No range officer was to be found.. Maybe, they were too busy lecturing someone about flash hiders look too much like muzzle brakes, when real crimes were being committed.

Larry Ashcraft
July 26, 2011, 06:57 AM
Let's try to remember why this place is called "The High Road".

Sam1911
July 26, 2011, 07:02 AM
[I cleaned up a little so we don't get side-tracked over the "N" word.]

We just had a pretty big thread on range safety and Range Safety Officers: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=602482

A few of my thoughts from that thread:

It is always a very wise idea to read and understand the basic procedural rules of any range you might join or visit to make sure that those rules don't conflict with the kind of shooting you want to do.

Does the range allow draw from the holster? Does the range allow very close, or very far, shooting with various kinds of firearms? Does the range have some kind of capacity or maximum loading rule? Does the range have fixed firing points or does it provide bays for "practical" shooting exercises? And so on. Figure this stuff out before you go -- or before you sit down and start shooting, at least.

There's no reason to frustrate yourself -- and greatly worry/annoy the guys charged with range safety -- by attending a range that doesn't fit your desired shooting discipline.

If you feel the need to try and change those rules, take it up with the governing body of that range. DO NOT stand there like a goon and argue with the RSO about the rules the range owner has put in place. He's bound buy them just like you are.

Basically, if the SO asks you to do something, do it. If you don't like it, take it up with the range management, later when there's some chance that someone might actually do something about it. Heck, maybe he's enforcing "rules" that the range owners don't even want enforced. You might make things better for everyone.

Or, maybe there is a deeper reason for some "stupid" rule that they can explain to you so you aren't so frustrated in the future.

If their rules are not going to be changed, either agree to work with them, find some other place to shoot, or start your own range. 'Tis a free country, as they say.

If you enjoyed reading about "Range Safety Officers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!