Is consolidation to one caliber wise?

PDA

orphanedcowboy
July 26, 2011, 12:01 PM
We had an in depth discussion at work last night about the merits of certain calibers. I told my group of about 6 co-workers that I had decided to consolidate my handgun selection to guns clambered for the 45 acp and some thought it was wise while others thought it was a poorly made decision. I have 32 H&R, 380, 9mm, 357, 40 S&W, 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 acp, 500 S&W. I think for me, the wise decision is to consolidate. Less hassle with ammo storage, selection and purchasing. I have over 10 handguns in 45 acp, far more than any other caliber, it's a caliber that I am proficient with, it has a wide variety of bullet selection and manufacturers.

I do not hunt with a handgun, so that eliminates the need for the big bore revolvers, and I have several 13rd capacity 45 acp handguns so that is covered.

I have racked my brain trying to find fault in my reasoning, does this sound far fetched to anyone other than a couple of co-workers(that happen to love the 40 S&W)?

If you enjoyed reading about "Is consolidation to one caliber wise?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
chhodge69
July 26, 2011, 12:08 PM
Don't over-think it - it sounds like a simple personal preference to me.

Vern Humphrey
July 26, 2011, 12:10 PM
I've often said there are only 4 1/2 useful pistol cartridges:

1. The .22 LR. Everyone should have a .22 pistol.

1 1/2. The .38 Special. Although you can buy lots of flea-weight .357s, most people shoot .38 specials in snubnose revolvers.

2. The .357 Magnum -- ideal for a service revolver.

3. The .45 ACP, especially in the gun designed for it, the M1911.

4. The .45 Colt -- close to the ideal revolver hunting cartridge.

If you don't carry a snubnose revolver, don't carry a service revolver, and don't hunt, that leaves two, the .22 LR and the .45 ACP.

Jason_G
July 26, 2011, 12:11 PM
If you do consolidate, just make sure to stockpile some ammo. When we get another ammo shortage like we had recently, .45 ACP, 9x19, and all the common cartridges will be sold out. All you'll see on the shelves is 10mm, .357 Sig, and other cartridges that are not as popular. If you have some guns you like that are chambered for a more unpopular round, you might hold onto at least one. Otherwise, yes, one caliber does make it easier to buy ammo. All my handguns are .45 ACP. I have several calibers of rifles, but all I really buy ammo for now are my .308's. I get what you're saying. I also think you may end up regretting selling some of those guns, unless you have a dream gun that you are thinking about using the money towards. I'm not a fan of selling my guns, but I know folks that do it all the time without hesitation. Guess it depends on your mindset.

I dunno man, tough decision.

Jason

Creature
July 26, 2011, 12:16 PM
Consolidating can make things easy at first. But make sure you choose a common and readily available choice that wont likely disappear. Consolidating can make one obsolete.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-93h7AgCF_Lw/Taw9A8XR0EI/AAAAAAAAF-Y/tHhF2qwfE-c/s1600/DiversityAmmo.jpg

Vern Humphrey
July 26, 2011, 12:27 PM
Shoot your one caliber a lot, save your brass and handload.

Mike1234567
July 26, 2011, 12:28 PM
I currently only own two handgun calibers (9mm Luger and .45 ACP) but I'll soon buy a .22LR and something big/bad like a .454 Casull or .500 S&W Mag or maybe .44 Mag. So that'll be four calibers.

The above stated, I'm in the process of stockpiling other common/popular ammo for barter down the road... 1000 rounds in calibers I have handguns for and 500 rounds for those I don't. So ammo storage isn't the deciding factor for me.

HankR
July 26, 2011, 12:30 PM
Vern said:

1 1/2. The .38 Special. Although you can buy lots of flea-weight .357s, most people shoot .38 specials in snubnose revolvers.

If you don't carry a snubnose revolver, don't carry a service revolver, and don't hunt, that leaves two, the .22 LR and the .45 ACP.

That's basically what I've settled on over the years. I got totally out of .38 special for awhile, even trading away my old brass and loading my plinking loads in .357 cases but then an (old style) bodyguard followed me home. I've got a .32 and a .380 that the wife tried for awhile before settling on a 9mm. I probably ought to sell/trade those as they're too small for my old eyes and klutzy fingers to reload and she doesn't need them anymore anyway. Sometimes I think about picking up a .40 S&W pistol or even a .44 Mag levergun but I know one would lead to many and then I'd have to buy new dies, and stock more bullets, and ....

Another thing I like about my current status is that I don't have any cartridges that are "close enough" to confuse and cause trouble. .45 Colt, but no .44 mag. 30-06 but no .308, etc. Do have a son that's getting more into shooting, so mom's old 20 gauge a and a new/used .243 are probably being added to the rifle mix.

oldbear
July 26, 2011, 12:53 PM
If it works for you I think it's a good idea. I would venture to guess that 90+ % of firearm owners have only one caliber.

I discovered years ago that .357 Magnum revolvers are ideal for all of my shooting needs, so I sold, traded, or gave away the few handguns I had in different calibers. At almost 63 I don't see me buying anything in a different caliber.

daorhgih
July 26, 2011, 01:02 PM
Darwin was right. If you are going to sit around reading magazines and sipping champagne, you don't need to make ANY changes. But if you are aware of potential Zombie-oonamis coming eventually, and go w/ the flow, you'll shake out a few calibers. Most-common caliber storage for you truly "... won't be any problem ..." But the larger the bullet, the harder it is to carry bunches of them if you NEED to move out. While you are "on the road" you won't be re-loading very much. Just be as ready as you can, stick to your plan, and prove Darwin right again: Survival Of The Fittest (And Best Prepared.) For me, I'll choose from these two-gun packages: .357 mag, 3" barrel pairs with Desert Eagle, 14" barrel (meat-gun & SD); .45ACP Glock-21, xtra hi-cap mags, Marlin Camp .45ACP with Choat folder (two other guns that were "designed" for 45ACP); maybe take my Taurus Circuit Judge, and a 12ga flare pistol. I have to keep my BOB under 40-pounds. And my pockets will be stuffed with bullets. DAO.

MachIVshooter
July 26, 2011, 01:07 PM
Might work for some. Personally, I like having lots of different ones, if for no other reason than I am very unlikely to not have enough ammo for something to go shooting at any given time without having to go shopping first.

forindooruseonly
July 26, 2011, 01:10 PM
Personal preference. As far as apocalyptic problems, caliber and ammo supply will probably be one of your lesser worries, despite the attention it gets in the forums.

If you are happy with one caliber that will serve all your purposes, do it and don't worry whether it is a "wise" choice or not. As for us who "sip champagne and read magazines", we will be really bored at the range without some diversity. And I bet we last just as long as you....

CraigC
July 26, 2011, 01:31 PM
Screw all that, variety is the spice of life.

CmpsdNoMore
July 26, 2011, 01:51 PM
...if for no other reason than I am very unlikely to not have enough ammo for something to go shooting at any given time without having to go shopping first.

Isn't that more of a inventory/"stock" issue?

Since my budget is VERY limited, I've been considering the best caliber for the type of handgun I want. It's seeming like .38/.357 is going to fit the bill.

moxie
July 26, 2011, 01:53 PM
Sounds like a plan, unless you have need of a pocket pistol.

Ronsch
July 26, 2011, 03:09 PM
Dunno...I have a foot in each camp...I mean for a while I was trying to get down to 5 calibers. My 12 gauge, .308, 9mm, 22LR...Then I started shooting CAS, so I went with the .45 LC. I saw a .45 ACP revolver in a gun shop, so I bought that, and my RIAs quickly followed. Then my mother-in-law gave me a .38 Special revolver, so I started buying those, then Ruger came out with their version of the Kel-Tec in .380 ACP. Then a friend of mine was moving down to Oregon, and she sold me her SKS, so I had to buy 7.62 x 39 for it. My mother-in-law (bless her heart) gave me an 8mm Yugo Mauser, so I had to have 8mm. Then, for living history classes, I bought .45 and .50 caliber muzzleloaders...So I am back up to a whole bunch of calibers...

I always figured the best way to go would be to stick to a few calibers you like and use, and just buy a lot of guns that use them!

easyg
July 26, 2011, 03:23 PM
Personally, I prefer having weapons of various calibers.
Here's why:

No one firearm is great for everything....

.22LR is great for plinking from rifles or hanguns because it's very affordable (which means that I can afford more range time).
But when it comes to self defense the .22LR is not the best choice.

And while I love the .357 magnum and the .45ACP, I wouldn't want a small light-weight pocket-pistol in either of those calibers.
In fact, I wouldn't even want a sub-compact in either of those calibers.
Those particular calibers perform best from a 4+" barrel and are easiest to shoot from a full-sized handgun (like a Ruger GP100 or a Colt 1911).

The 9mm and the .38 Special are both great from smaller handguns.

mrt949
July 26, 2011, 03:42 PM
Down that ROAD myself.32,380 ,9mm , 40 sw,45 acp,38 sp ,357 mag.22 wmr,22lr. I don't shoot as much as I did years ago.Down to 22 lr,32 acp ,38 sp, & 357 mag .Now life is simple.

orphanedcowboy
July 26, 2011, 04:35 PM
Well, I will be keeping on S&W 29 for a personal reason, but other than that it will be Glocks, XDms and 1911s for me from here on out and whatever I buy in the future.

I consolidated to on gauge, 12ga, in shotguns this past yr even for the wife and daughter and haven't regretted that at all.

Rifle calibers will be different, I don't know if that is even possible.

Supply isn't an issue for me, bought 2000 rds a week of Federal 230gr ball at $15 a box while Cabelas had it on sale, so I am sitting on over 10,000 rds of that plus whatever I had of FMJ and then there is at least a 1000 rds of PD ammo.

JustinJ
July 26, 2011, 05:35 PM
I see no reason for it unless you reload and even then not really. Storing 50 rounds of 9, 50 of .40 and 50 of .45 is no harder than 150 of .45. Not to mention in times of a shortage you'll have an easier time finding something you can shoot. During the last panic .45 was one of the hardest to find.

InkEd
July 26, 2011, 08:14 PM
Get rid of the .32, .40, .500 and possibly the .380 depending on the gun.

wh!plash
July 26, 2011, 09:56 PM
I'm all about consolidating calibers. Having a stockpile of ammo and being able to take any gun to the range is so much better than having a smaller pile specific to each gun. Or having some for this gun, but out of it for the thing I want to shoot...

.22LR goes without saying, but these days I'm trying to keep it down to 45 and 9mm for autos, and .357 for revolvers. Just .223 for centerfire rifle.

WinThePennant
July 26, 2011, 10:57 PM
Some of the ideas thrown about in this thread are exactly what I own a P250. My first preference is 9mm, but in a SHTF or another ammo shortage, I can shoot .357 Sig, .40, .45, and 9mm.

planetmobius
July 26, 2011, 11:15 PM
I've done both. I have all kinds of calibers that I keep ammo for but tend to stockpile just a few. This way I have very good versaltility while maintaining a small core of guns that are combat ready.

SFsc616171
July 26, 2011, 11:27 PM
From an old vet, waiting for Obama to stop continually manual re-adjustments of his 'pleasure level', so's my VA and SocSec checks get paid:

I have 2 calibers, and that is enough of a headache for me, and here's why.
1. 9mm ... inserted into any of my BHP's - either that old Remington115gr. JHP load of olde, or those Win. 147gr. FMJTC/JHP, both NON Plus P.
2. .38 Special - SW Mod 15's or Taurus 82 4-inchers; Taurus 851CIA; Rossi M92 16" Lever Action Carbine. Do I shoot LSWC, WC, FMJ, Nyclad today?
3. IF there is any kind of "ruh-roh", which has been envisioned, and written down by any person alive, there is a good possibility that you, or I, will be doing what we do in a day, and like these "flashmobs", will be found in a localized maelstrom, away from our "castlekeep". What we have at hand, will have to do whatever duty it is, to give us the edge to get out of there. Should that be the case, I would rather have the .38 Special-bearing firearm. I am proficient with my BHP's, but not comfortable yanking out a semi-auto. Too many variables at hand. The CIA in the beginning, had to choose between the BHP, and the SW J-frame. You can imagine my surprise, when my source stated the J-frame won out. So, "good enough for government work", good enough for me. In ending, my BHP's are a matte blue MKII with low GI-style sights, and a SHOT show digicamo MKIII with 3-dot sights. Fer sure, not POS's!

huntsman
July 26, 2011, 11:32 PM
I'd ditch everything but .380acp and .45acp

Four_Speed
July 27, 2011, 02:11 AM
You have attained what I and others my age (~30) are trying for. From where I sit, variety is not at all a bad thing. If someone wants to go plink, we can plink. If another wants to shoot great big holes, we can. Another poster said it right - stockpile and shoot what you like the best. However, I differ from most others here when I suggest to keep the rest, even if you don't shoot them much. They may come back like big sunglasses.

David E
July 27, 2011, 02:36 AM
What's one .45 acp handgun going to do that another .45 acp handgun won't do with very similar results?

Consolidation is one thing, severely limiting your overall options is another.

Jason_W
July 27, 2011, 08:22 AM
Consolidating to one, common round that is unlikely to become obsolete is highly pragmatic.

But I'd get really bored if I went that route.

bruzer
July 27, 2011, 08:57 AM
How many agencies (military, LEO) do see using multiple calibers? For the most part the military has the 9mm and most LEO have the .40 when using a handgun. These guys do it for a living and you don't see them carrying 5 or 6 different calibers.
I myself like to shoot multiple calibers out of the same weapon (.40, 9mm & .22). I have trouble switching from gun to gun. Find out what works for you.
Beware the man with one gun. He knows how to use it!
Mike

Arkansas Paul
July 27, 2011, 10:49 AM
Screw all that, variety is the spice of life.

That's what I like. Simple, direct answers. Couldn't have said it better myself.

easyg
July 27, 2011, 11:01 AM
How many agencies (military, LEO) do see using multiple calibers? For the most part the military has the 9mm and most LEO have the .40 when using a handgun. These guys do it for a living and you don't see them carrying 5 or 6 different calibers.
This is merely for commonality of caliber among tens, hundreds, even thousands of personnel.

If you have a platoon of fifty soldiers it is a good thing if they all use the same ammo.
Doing so allows soldiers to share ammo among the living and scavage ammo among their fallen comrades.

And commonality of ammo allows agencies and forces to make huge bulk ammo buys at greatly discounted prices.

None of this really applies to the lone individual in a self defense situation.

mdauben
July 27, 2011, 03:00 PM
I told my group of about 6 co-workers that I had decided to consolidate my handgun selection to guns clambered for the 45 acp and some thought it was wise while others thought it was a poorly made decision.
If you don't need a hunting sidearm or a pocket sized CCW weapon (even "compact" 45's tend to be a bit on the large size for pocket carry) the only real drawback of your plan is cost. Obviously, .22 ammo is much cheaper for training, target practice and general plinking. If the cost isn't an issue for you, IMO the 45 will do everything that a .32/.380/9mm/.38/.357/.40/.44 will do for you.

Personally, my minimum caliber choices would be:

.22LR - Target practice, small game, pests, plinking
.38 Spl/.357 Mag - Secondary SD caliber, medium game
.45ACP - Primary SD caliber
.44 Mag - Medium/Large game
:D

easyg
July 27, 2011, 07:05 PM
If the cost isn't an issue for you, IMO the 45 will do everything that a .32/.380/9mm/.38/.357/.40/.44 will do for you.
Well, the 9mm and the .380 do offer greater magazine capacity in a smaller pistol than the .45 in a pistol of equal size.

Strahley
July 27, 2011, 09:01 PM
I tend to go with .22, .380 (only for pocket semi-autos), 9mm, .45, .357, and .44. These cover everything a handgun should be used for

philoe
July 27, 2011, 09:22 PM
Craigc said it. Keep em all for the variety factor alone. Where is the fun in introducing new shooters to a .45 and a different .45? What about at the range? Will you get bored going from one .45 to another as the folks next to you go from caliber to caliber and you tell yourself that you are happy with your consolidation?
From a tactical and military standpoint consolidating makes sense, but sometimes being too practical can put a damper on the fun factor.

Dr.Rob
July 27, 2011, 09:38 PM
I have more 45's than any other caliber, but I don't see a need to limit myself.

bigbomar4
July 27, 2011, 10:45 PM
I guess I am on the other end of things I have have .22lr and a .40 for several years and just got my first 9mm. Next purchace will be either a .45 acp or a .357 mag.

orphanedcowboy
July 28, 2011, 12:23 AM
I have my own "range" at the farm about 20 minutes away, never been on an actual rifle/pistol range. I shoot enough shotgun sports at the range to keep me busy, and as soon as I buy a couple of more launchers to go with the 3 I have, I probably will stop going other than for league shoots.

I have only had one 22 handgun, a Smith 422, and it was okay, but I gave it to my dad.

I think other than the 29, I will keep just the 45s, found a M&P 45 that I forgot I traded for, it was hidden in the back of the safe in the box. I really need a pistol rack or a something for the door.

HammerheadSSN663
July 28, 2011, 12:25 AM
If I had to consolidate to just one rifle and one handgun it would be .22 LR.

Pizzagunner
July 28, 2011, 12:45 AM
Just remember, in that post-Apocalyptic novel The Road, the main character ran out of .38 Special and later encountered hundreds of rounds of .45ACP and couldn't make any use of it.;)

Mike1234567
July 28, 2011, 08:50 AM
...found a M&P 45 that I forgot I traded for, it was hidden in the back of the safe in the box.

Well, since you forgot about it you must not care for it much. I'll pay you $100 for it shipped to my FFL.:evil:

MyGreenGuns
July 28, 2011, 09:00 AM
My brother got rid of all his pistols other than .45ACP. We took a cousin out shooting and all bro had to OFFER was 1911 and Glock. I have more fun going from my tiny .22LR plinker to my .45LC handcannon with 3 sizes between. Bro has since re-aquired another caliber.

In reguards to your ammo stockpile: Keep a lot of your SD/HD rounds, keep plenty of your plinking ammo. Have some for the rest. I have 8 guns and I could spend all day shooting my 12g, 9mm or .22lr. I could only spend an hour or two shooting the remainder before my stockpile was depleted.

If finance is the deciding factor, its up to you. I sold a truck and a TV when I needed cash, I didnt want to part with the firearms.

huntsman
July 28, 2011, 11:17 AM
^If you have a .45acp then you have a .22lr because of the conversions for Glock and 1911

mgmorden
July 28, 2011, 11:55 AM
It depends on how you view your firearms hobby. I hunt, I have a CWP and carry a gun when I can for protection, but I'm not always in a "tactical" mentality. I don't organize my buying habits around "wise" and I don't go to the range to "train". I buy and shoot guns to have fun.

With that in mind, consolidating to a single caliber, or gun brand, or action type, or just "consolidating" in general, is boring. I'm not going to do that.

BigG
July 28, 2011, 02:01 PM
Vern Humphrey said:

I've narrowed down my selection to just 22 LR and 45 ACP with a few 38 snubs. Oh yeah - I got a 44 magnum S&W and also a 357 Mag S&W. I get my reloading thrills with cap n ball revolvers, Colt type, of course!

Anyway, it's hard to narrow it down when you are an aficionado. Oh yeah - I have a P08 Luger, and a P38 ...

lucky-gunner
July 28, 2011, 02:57 PM
I keep a pistol of each caliber lying around just in case there is an ammo shortage again. I know I was able to find 40 S&W everywhere and while it's not my favorite caliber I do have a pistol chambered in it.

I would say that going by the logic that one caliber is fine. Then a couple handguns is enough also.

I like the idea of consolidating but I've found that I prefer the diversity. Most of my handguns are 9mm though.

exavid
July 29, 2011, 01:07 AM
I've weeded down my collection quite a bit, down to eight firearms. 12ga., .22 rifle, Mini14 .223, Browning Buckmark .22 pistol, Ruger LCP, Ruger SR9, Taurus 740 Slim .40, Taurus 24/7 PRO .45. I reload all but the rimfire and shotgun shells. All my pistols get good workouts several times a month at our local range so I don't see any need to specialize. Each caliber has its use.

Jefferson Herb
July 29, 2011, 03:05 AM
Who only keeps 50 rounds?Ammo cans were made to hold more than that.

snooperman
July 29, 2011, 07:38 AM
My sentiments too. I am into hunting different game with single action revolvers, rifles , shotguns, etc as well as all kinds of pistols for target shooting to limit myself to one caliber. Same thing goes for conceal carry. If that one caliber makes it easy for you and that is all you NEED, go for it. To each his own.

iblong
July 29, 2011, 08:18 AM
I tried scaleing down to 3 hand gun cal's to make life and loading simple.
It lasted less than a year,I got bored and now Im back up to 6.
Even if you dont shoot them all it may be better than printed currency some day,just saying.

WinThePennant
July 29, 2011, 11:12 AM
Here's the easy answer.

For your tactical supply, keep it to one caliber and buy lots of it. I recommend 9mm, and have at least 1,000 rounds of the stuff.

For your fun, have whatever you want.

Mike1234567
July 29, 2011, 11:35 AM
I had intended to have only three handgun calibers; .22LR, 9mm, .45 ACP, and .44 Mag. BUT... I recently learned that the .40 S&W M&P has .357 Sig and 9mm barrels available. SO... I'll be adding two more calibers for a total of six. That stated, I'll not have much ammo stockpiled for .40 S&W nor .357 Sig.

ETA: Though... I might buy the .357 Sig and conversion barrels for .40 and 9mm.

JohnD13
July 29, 2011, 11:39 AM
The more diverse your collection, the better chance that you'll find something to shoot!

QuietEarp
July 29, 2011, 10:18 PM
It seems you are moving from 9 calibers to one. That seems drastic. Why not just pare it down to a few of the better calibers and see how it works for you. I do think that simpler is better, but large moves can be made gradually.
I mean you don't need the 10 handguns any more than 9 calibers.

Just playing devil's advocate.

BossHogg
July 30, 2011, 12:03 PM
22lr,9mm,38 spl, 357, 45acp and 45 colt. I keep at lease 100 rounds per caliber on hand. I also have multiple guns for each caliber.

I have really rediscovered the 38 spl since I started reloading. A lot of great used 38 spl's out there.

I understand your train of thought . I tried to go with only 2 calibers just to keep it simple. I went with the 38/357 and the 45 acp. That lasted about 3 years .

Just was missing out on so many great calibers that could be shot. But I have cut it off to the calibers above.

Rexster
July 30, 2011, 04:16 PM
I have chosen to minimize the number of handgun cartridges in inventory, by trying to buy weapons chambered for certain cartridges. Reducing my weapons to all one cartridge might be an entertaining mental exercise, but nothing more. At minimum, I would want one centerfire cartridge, plus .22 LR handguns, and once I am retired from policin', and no longer mandated to use .40 at work, I could do quite well with just .357 Magnum and .22 LR. (I am required to buy my own duty weapons and ammo.)

Versatile as the .357 Mag might be, there are better choices for such things as home defense at night, such as .45 ACP and .45 Colt. Moreover, I have deep affection for these cartridges; I simply will NOT voluntarily part with my 1911 or my SA sixguns. Then, there is my Seecamp LWS-32, a niche pistol, but sometimes that niche is important. If/when I finally do move to rural acreage, I might well find practical applications for my .32 H&R-chambered SP101, or this Ruger might
someday be a carry gun, if I become too feeble for .357 Mag.

I certainly would not want to limit my long firearms to shooting mere handgun ammo, so I won't go there.

In actual practice, I have more .223 and .22 LR stockpiled than anything else. I have several hundred .40 Gold Dots, to match my personally-owned duty pistols, which means it is third in quantity.

waidmann
July 30, 2011, 10:45 PM
I suppose diversity may be what separates a collection from an arsenal. I'm half teasing. I keep a stock of one rifle and two pistol calibers (own many). And no, I do not foresee the total breakdown coming anytime in the foreseeable future.

GCBurner
July 31, 2011, 12:23 AM
I shoot a variety of stuff for fun, but the calibres I use most I tend to buy when loaded ammo and reloading components are on sale, and keep them piled high and deep. The ones I accumulate are .22 LR, 9mm, .45ACP, .223, and .308. I also keep a fair amount of .380 for my pocket backup, and 7.62x39 for the MAK, SKS, and AR-15 backup rifles.

Peter M. Eick
July 31, 2011, 08:13 AM
An easier approach (since I reload) is to limit bullet sizes.

I tend to stock the most of .358's. I can shoot them out of my 38 specials, 357 mags, 357 Maximums, with a bit of load development I can also push them out of my 380 auto, 9 mm and 38 super along with 357 sig.

.454's I can only push out of my 45acp and 45colt. Not a lot of options there.

22-rimfire
July 31, 2011, 08:37 AM
Consolidation? Sounds like an excuse or rationalization to sell off some guns when deep down you know that the boys with the most toys win. However, when I reach 70, I will iniciate a major firearm sell off which has been my plan since I was 21 and go with just a few favorite firearms in an assortment of calibers.

What goes around comes around.... considered the same, but in my case I just stopped shooting the "other" calibers as I saw little need to sell off the firearms. The 357/38's got left gathering dust. With carry becoming increasingly common, I have brought back the 38/357 stuff and bought some more. I parked the 41 mags for about 10 years due to lack of shooting and easy place to shoot. Never really got into the 25 ACP, 380 ACP, 9mm, or 45ACP thing; I chose 40 S&W and have stuck with that caliber for bottom loaders. I do own one 9mm but have no ammo, nor do I plan on buying any. That gun will eventually get sold. The 44 mags got sold off a long time ago after I began appreciating the 41 mag. Haven't missed them one bit.

In general, I see little need to consolidate calibers until you get older, a felony conviction, or get into serious financial trouble. If nothing else selling off would render a lot of the ammunition I have cached useless to me and a storage headache at this time.

As far as I'm concerned, you have to have at least one 22 rifle and handgun if you like to shoot firearms.

Jonah71
July 31, 2011, 10:01 AM
Don't know if it's wise or not. But with the exception of the Ruger SR 1911 I will eventually own, I plan to stick with the .40 cal. I'm getting the feel for my .40's with every trip to the range and it will be my caliber of choice in the future. I have enough of the other calibers. I also know it's crazy and a waste of time to say I won't jump on the chance to get a good deal on a 1911 anytime the opportunity comes up and I have the funds.

ET
July 31, 2011, 10:37 AM
Currently I'm shooting 22lr, 380acp, 9mm, 40s&w, 357sig, 45acp, 45LC, & will be adding a 10mm shortly...so no, consolidation isn't what I'd recommend. I do need to add some more revolvers to the mix. I especially want a 357mag revolver & maybe a 500s&w type gun.

If you enjoyed reading about "Is consolidation to one caliber wise?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!