Stolen gun database

PDA

Enco
July 26, 2011, 03:28 PM
Is there a "stolen gun database" that the public can access to check serial numbers of firearms ?

Enco

If you enjoyed reading about "Stolen gun database" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
The-Reaver
July 26, 2011, 05:11 PM
Yes, let me see If I can dig up a link for you.

The-Reaver
July 26, 2011, 05:13 PM
http://www.hotgunz.com/?gclid=CLLNj_Ton6oCFUqM5godpW_a7w

I have used this place before. It's completely free with 0 ties to who ever plugs into it.

jelayne
July 26, 2011, 05:23 PM
I just read on that site that all the serial numbers are user submitted. Why does LE not get on board with this?

Bubbles
July 26, 2011, 06:19 PM
No, non-LE can not access NCIC, which is where all stolen firearm data goes. There are a number of private databases like the one posted above, but none really contain a lot of data.

mgkdrgn
July 26, 2011, 10:49 PM
In a word .. No

I'm an FFL and even I can't access such data, IF it exists.

AWorthyOpponent
July 27, 2011, 05:43 AM
Florida has a public access one, but it only lists firearms stolen out of Florida. Seems like it would help them find stolen guns if they made it accessible to all. Person "A" wants to buy a gun from person "B" and looks up the s/n on his iPhone before hand. If it's stolen, he can call the police and let them know where the guy is and what he looks like. I don't see a downside. You would think the Brady Campaign would have made this mandatory already, rather than the other dumb nonsense they pull.

http://pas.fdle.state.fl.us/pas/item/displayGunSearch.a

Enco
July 27, 2011, 11:48 AM
Thanks for your help.

Enco

brickeyee
July 27, 2011, 12:03 PM
Why does LE not get on board with this?

They might have to interact with the peasants.

dogtown tom
July 27, 2011, 01:36 PM
jelayne: ...Why does LE not get on board with this?
Because LE already has the NCIC and these "stolen gun" websites require no verification that the gun was actually stolen. Entry into NCIC requires a report to actually be filed with PD.

If you enjoyed reading about "Stolen gun database" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!