Gun Record

PDA

The-Reaver
July 27, 2011, 07:58 AM
I had a buddy call me " odd " because of the way I keep track of my weapons.
I keep a book with pictures of my firearms, on the back of the pictures are the serial #'s, Caliber, Barrel length, & where I got them.

Am I the only one?
Am I odd for doing this?

I figured it was good practice just in case something stupid ever happened.

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun Record" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
CZ-75BD
July 27, 2011, 08:00 AM
I have a spread sheet, with make, model, caliber and date of purchasing, not the photo

The-Reaver
July 27, 2011, 08:06 AM
HA HA So I'm not the only one.
Odd my rear end.

danprkr
July 27, 2011, 08:09 AM
Depends, are you more worried about burglary or the law coming and knowing what you have so they can confiscate? Both are valid fears in this day and age so it's kind of your call. And I'd like to say I don't have a record of my stuff for the confiscation thing, but the reality is I'm just to lazy :)

The-Reaver
July 27, 2011, 08:15 AM
Though I do have weird feelings about the van parked in the church parking lot 24/7 only moving at strange hours oddly in time with our local PD shift change hours.
I have nothing to fear. Mostly for my own pleasure and because of burglary reasons.

HOOfan_1
July 27, 2011, 10:09 AM
Certainly a good idea to keep track of that, for insurance claims and to report stolen serial numbers as well.

USAF_Vet
July 27, 2011, 10:15 AM
I've been meaning to do so, with date of purchase, serial #, copies of any paperwork associated, and date sold (if applicable).

I might do that this weekend.

Arkansas Paul
July 27, 2011, 10:38 AM
I don't do it, but I should. That's a pretty good idea too with the pics and info on the back. I may do that as well.

ErikO
July 27, 2011, 10:59 AM
I got a 'gun log' as one of the 'gimmes' at a handgun class I attended. I put all my firearms down in there and keep that in the fireproof lockbox with outher important papers.

spclpatrolgroup
July 27, 2011, 11:04 AM
I like this idea, it also keeps note of the accessories you have on your firearms.

The-Reaver
July 27, 2011, 03:07 PM
Good to see others agree with me. I think he calls me odd because he's jealous of my collection, and he's a one upper.

bigfatdave
July 27, 2011, 04:10 PM
Mine is all digital pictures, and I keep them in the cloud in addition to in a fairly secure spot at home.

Overall shot, front and rear half shots for a rifle, closeup serial #, any unique features, and all the shots have a card in them with make/model/chambering

Took about an hour and a half to do them all in one go when I moved the cabinet, and I'm already a gun behind on keeping it up to date.

Bravo Sierra
July 27, 2011, 04:44 PM
My filing cabinet contains individual files on about everything I own. My vehicle, a trailer, my power tools, whatever.

The guns that I have purchased new came with warranties, and these are kept in their respective files, just in case. I also keep FFL transfer information in the files, just to prove when a firearm was transferred in case questions are ever asked.

gathert
July 27, 2011, 04:50 PM
I keep a record of all my guns with pictures and serial numbers along with purchase date, place, from whom, etc. Never hurts to be too careful and the records stay locked up.

FROGO207
July 27, 2011, 10:26 PM
I have the digital pictures of everything and the date acquired, Serial#, and any other needed info. Also sold date if sold. There are three storage locations for these files that are not connected in case there is a fire or other such disaster. I also have paper logs as needed. You can always say "Doggone it someone just stole all my guns.:banghead::D

ColtPythonElite
July 27, 2011, 10:27 PM
I keep a written log with serial numbers, descriptions, amount I paid for it and receipts if available in my safe deposit box. I also have a second log I keep at home. I also have digital photos.

JTHunter
July 27, 2011, 10:32 PM
Several of my guns are "inherited" with at least two being over 80 years old. Sales info not available. Several of my purchases are over 35 years old - again, no sale data.
I DO have the make, model, caliber, and serial number saved but I like the idea of putting that info with a picture.
Nice idea Reaver!

Rembrandt
July 27, 2011, 10:46 PM
Used these Firearm Record books for years, actually filled up two of them. Now use an electronic version called NM Gun Collectors Software, much nicer, ability to add photos and more detailed information. http://www.nmcollectorsoftware.com/support/screenShots.html

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Rembrandt51/Img_3699.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Rembrandt51/Img_3701.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Rembrandt51/Img_3697.jpg

Mike1234567
July 27, 2011, 10:49 PM
I know i should record everything but I haven't yet... same with cameras and everything else. I guess I'm just lazy.

Four_Speed
July 27, 2011, 11:05 PM
You gotta have the log and pictures 1) for bragging on the boards (you know the guy who is showing off his 1911 among his 27 others in the same picture) and 2) for insurance. You can't take a picture of something that isn't there.

CapnMac
July 27, 2011, 11:10 PM
Well, I started with a simple spreadsheet to track type, date, paid/traded, sold/traded and the like.

When I went to digital photography, the spreadsheet morphed into a stack of workbooks on a per-each basis. So, there's a photo, all the digital data, and any accessories, and, especially and, my listing of preferred ammo and any "dope" info for ammo.

Lead page is a summary with links to the workbook pages. I can sort the summary page however I want, and the workbooks are titled to the arm on them.

But, I am both nerd and geek at this <G>

erict
July 27, 2011, 11:27 PM
yup.... written and a cpu file with pics.

ZombieKiller57
July 27, 2011, 11:42 PM
I use 'Gun Toolbox' for the iPhone. It keeps inventory of weapons with pictures and descriptions, accessories, ammo and round counts per weapon. It will total the inventory cost for insurance by armory and weapon. When updating round count on a weapon it will take the amount from your inventory so you can keep up with what you have left.

Twmaster
July 27, 2011, 11:46 PM
I not only keep data on my guns like maker/model number, caliber, date bought etc. But I also record how many rounds have been fired and what brand/kind of ammo.

I had not kept photos. I will now.

Ala Dan
July 28, 2011, 05:41 PM
Pics of your weapons are sound advice. Take several pics, even revealing the
weapon's serial number; then record all necessary information [make, model,
caliber, purchase price, from whom you purchased it, and disposition] in a log
book. Store "bound book", CD, or whatever in a safe and secure place; away
from your firearms~! ;) :D

mott
July 28, 2011, 06:01 PM
photo's plus all info on price , seller , anything I have.
more for family than myself. I hope I don't forget what I own.

mott

TenMillimaster
July 28, 2011, 06:02 PM
I had a buddy call me " odd " because of the way I keep track of my weapons.
I keep a book with pictures of my firearms, on the back of the pictures are the serial #'s, Caliber, Barrel length, & where I got them.

That is an awesome idea. Then you can conveniently slip it right in the wife's photo album, and when you want to reminisce your wedding photos will be right next to your most cherished firearms.

Ole Coot
July 28, 2011, 08:05 PM
No pics but serial nos. description, make and model and minimum selling price

VT Deer Hunter
July 28, 2011, 08:22 PM
I wont bother say anything about my guns. I have 2. My uncle has at least 100. His way of keeping track is, I have no idea.

ArfinGreebly
July 29, 2011, 03:53 PM
Mixed feelings about having the stats on my phone.

On the one hand, your phone will be with you when/if your place is burgled or burned, and you'll have records for the insurance dudes.

On the other hand . . . it's a phone. And, if it's a nice phone, it's a theft target. And a theft target containing a treasure map to my valuables.

That said, there's other sensitive stuff on my phone. Hmm. Don't lose the phone.

I also have stuff on a thumb drive (flash memory stick). The thumb drive has clones. Not all the clones are on my person. Not all the clones are "on site" at home.

I'm thinking that a catalog of my insurable valuables might be best kept on the thumb drives.

NCW Ray
July 29, 2011, 07:59 PM
I keep a record of all my firearms in a word document and that document is automatically backed-up along with all my other files & pictures to Carbonite.com and I have access to all of them from any internet connection.

The Real Wyatt
July 29, 2011, 11:16 PM
with pictures.

Why not?

I don't sell guns, I only buy them. It's nice to know when I bought a particular gun, where I bought it and how much I paid for it.

Once you pass a certain number of guns, you can't possibly remember all that crap.

Of course, if anythng is ever stolen it's good to know details.

Twiki357
July 30, 2011, 02:59 AM
I keep a detailed record of all mine in an Excel spread sheet. Make, model, caliber, serial number, etc., including all accessories for each one, cases, holsters, magazines, scopes, etc. and 4 to 6 digital pictures of each. I keep the file on a separate flash drive along with the inventory files and pictures of all my other property and valuables. I feel that the flash drive provides privacy from any prying eyes that may use my computer from time to time as well as security from any access (legal or otherwise) that I haven't authorized. Only my kids know where I keep the flash drive.

ssbn642
July 30, 2011, 11:13 PM
Guns, what guns? You guys are horrible with guns.

JTHunter
July 31, 2011, 12:08 AM
The one advantage a couple of pictures (1 from each side) is it shows wear marks, dings/scratches/dents in the wood/nylon of the "furniture" that make each gun have a unique fingerprint. That can go a long way to help ID a stolen gun and get it back.

This is an old gun inherited from my grandfather. He used to keep it under the cash register in his store and is at least 90 years old.:)

sirgilligan
July 31, 2011, 10:46 AM
I use the Gun Log iPhone app.

http://gunlogapp.blogspot.com/2011/06/entering-weapon-into-gun-log-iphone-app.html

It does exactly what I want, its like I wrote it just for me. ;)

Cop Bob
August 1, 2011, 12:13 PM
If they are Stolen, The police will love that accurate infomation so that they can correctly be reported as stolen.. You would NOT believe the number of guns that are not correctly entered as stolen..

If they are not correctly entered in NCIC, they cannot be recovered.. I personally have had two pistols stolen.. One, the most recent, ATF called me personally and returned it to me.. the other, who knows.. but if it comes up as used in a crime, I am off the hook..

Also, the detailed records will keep your insurance company happy, or rather you happy, in disputing valuation claims...

It is a very good idea..

Sav .250
August 1, 2011, 03:39 PM
Different strokes for different folks.

Documentation .......... it`s the real proof. :)

DoubleTapDrew
August 2, 2011, 01:01 PM
I agree with Arfin. I like the convenience factor of a phone app, but given the amount of data current phones hold including GPS stats it probably wouldn't be hard to track down the owner's home and you've also provided them with a shopping list and estimated value.

dataDyne
August 2, 2011, 01:52 PM
I only have my licenses

berettaprofessor
August 3, 2011, 02:06 PM
Everything recorded in a Quicken Spreadsheet; make/model/price/manufacturing date/serial number and digital pictures and notes attached to each entry.

EVIL
August 3, 2011, 03:02 PM
Excel spreadsheet; Make/model, caliber, serial #, purchase price/location & notes to include scopes, acessories, etc. I store the information in several locations (electronic & Hard copy), to include a fireproof box with other important documents.

I have digital photos of some, but I need to get a systematic photo scheme going and put it into the spreadsheet.

Warp
August 3, 2011, 03:08 PM
OP: Your method isn't bad at all. I have an index card with the model and serial number on it. Elsewhere I have the receipts for most of them. I strongly prefer physical record keeping here, not electronic.

Ryanxia
August 3, 2011, 03:10 PM
Spreadsheet FTW

The-Reaver
August 5, 2011, 01:32 AM
Just glad to hear I'm not " Odd "

He's just booboo faced he didn't think of it first. =)

pockets
August 5, 2011, 10:01 AM
I photograph any gun I purchase. Serial number, description, etc are logged on a spreadsheet. Photos and spreadsheet are electronically stored and also burned to disc.
I say it's for insurance reasons.
Truth is: I simply cannot remember all of them or their information, unless I have it written down somewhere with photos.

Creade
August 5, 2011, 10:05 AM
When I received my C&R Book, I ordered one for personal firearms as well.
But so far, I have been too busy to get all of my information transfered into that.

Palehorseman
August 5, 2011, 08:29 PM
I have all my gun pics and ID details on a DVD, it is kept in SD box at the bank.

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun Record" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!