Most reliable .22 auto pistol

PDA

Philippe
July 27, 2011, 09:26 PM
I'd like to hear everyones opinions on what the most reliable .22 lr pistols are. Im looking to buy something but i want to make sure it wont let me down when i need it most. All suggestions/opinions/pictures of models are welcome!

If you enjoyed reading about "Most reliable .22 auto pistol" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MedWheeler
July 27, 2011, 09:34 PM
.. it wont let me down when i need it most.

Under what circumstances do you feel you might "need it most"? Is this going to be a defensive piece? The Ruger Mk-II series are virtually impossible to beat in reliability, but they are single-action, striker-fired guns. Might not be the safest design for a defensive piece, so we need to know if that is one of your potential uses for the gun. If it is to be used for defense, is it going to be a carry piece, or a nightstand piece? Everyone else here will be on to tell you not to rely on the .22LR for protection, so I won't. If I could only have one handgun, it would indeed be a 22LR, but probably would not be the Ruger. It would probably be a double-action (at least, for the first shot) mid-size gun, like the CZ Kadet, or the Walther PK-22.
Edit: I've read some of your older posts, and I get the idea you're not going to be using this for a defensive piece, since you have other options. I'd still be curious about the "won't let me down when I need it most" clause, though...

Ala Dan
July 27, 2011, 09:40 PM
Browning BuckMark 5.5" (not the "Camper Model")

BFC
July 27, 2011, 09:43 PM
X2 for Browning Buckmark. I have the bull barrel version and I can drive tacs with it.

osteodoc08
July 27, 2011, 09:44 PM
I bought a used Mark II that was well worn but well taken care of. It is more accurate than I am and after over 4000+ rounds from me of all kinds of various junk it has never malfunctioned with the exception of a dud that did not fire no matter how many times I tried. Pretty darn reliable if you ask me.

Strahley
July 27, 2011, 09:44 PM
The only time I need a semi-auto .22 to function is plinking or training at the range. You're not going to use one for self-defense are you?

Philippe
July 27, 2011, 09:48 PM
Ohhh no, i dont plan to use it for a carry gun or a nightstand gun. I plan to use it for alot of target shooting and squirrel hunting.

Strahley
July 27, 2011, 09:53 PM
Okay, good :D Buck Mark or a Ruger...can't really go wrong either way. The only thing my Buck Mark will ever really hiccup consistently on are Remington Golden Bullets. Federal or Winchester, I can go through a box straight and I might have one or two malfunctions with the entire box

mrbro
July 27, 2011, 09:59 PM
+1 on the Ruger Mk2

Kendal Black
July 27, 2011, 10:11 PM
I'd like to hear everyones opinions on what the most reliable .22 lr pistols are. Im looking to buy something but i want to make sure it wont let me down when i need it most. All suggestions/opinions/pictures of models are welcome!

A revolver: S&W, Colt or Ruger. :p :)

gofastman
July 27, 2011, 10:17 PM
My AA conversion kit for my Glock is amazingly reliable, problem is you need the Glock first.

A revolver: S&W, Colt or Ruger.
I really agree with this, a DA/SA revolver is the only way to go for a .22 that is used for defence

CraigC
July 27, 2011, 10:20 PM
Been shooting Buckmarks for 22yrs. They have been my hands-down favorite until recently. Ruger MK-series guns are also excellent but the steep grip angle disagreed with me. Up until the 22/45RP model they didn't have one that I could live with. Now, with some add-ons, it's my favorite .22 auto!

http://photos.imageevent.com/newfrontier45/sixgunsiii/large/IMG_7748b.jpg

BCRider
July 27, 2011, 10:30 PM
The Rugers are hands down the most reliable from what I've seen. The local Rent-A-Gun range, where I help out with RO'ing at times, has been using the same Rugers for many years now. Meanwhile they've tried and passed on a number of other guns which just could not make the grade for "on line" time. Sadly the Buckmark was one of them.

THis does not in any way besmerch a number of the other guns. Keep in mind that being a rental range the guns see more use and less cleaning than almost any sort of private ownership and use.

Having said this I'm highly in love with my S&W 422 and companion 2206. These two .22's have not failed me in a match at all other than when I found out the hard way that the 2206 barrel had not been cleaned in far too long and it had a massive lead buildup in the bore. Accuracy went down over the course of about 4 magazines to what I'd get if I were to throw the bullets by hand... and I ain't no big league pitcher either! :D

But even with that the gun was still cycling fine. For me these two stirling performers are the core of my .22's and would be positively the last to go unless for some odd reason they totally self destruct.

Philippe
July 27, 2011, 10:33 PM
Sounds like Ruger is the favorite. I have shot the MKII's before and loved them, my father had one. Do the MKII's differ alot from the new MKIII's? Or is it simply just an updated model?

GLOOB
July 27, 2011, 10:40 PM
MkIII has a thumb button mag release, so the mags are different. Other than that, the only differences are the addition of an LCI and a magazine safety.

bigfatdave
July 27, 2011, 10:43 PM
If you're willing to tinker a bit, you can make a Ruger mk__ into the perfect target gun or hunting pistol. Out of the box they're great, but with some drop-in parts they can be superb.
Mine are very reliable with even cheap federal 550 bulk ammo (nothing seems to like Rem Golden Boogers in the similar 550-round bulk pack), or as reliable as the cheap ammo allows.
And they're boringly reliable with CCI minimags or other "god" .22lr ammo.

Get whatever fits your hand and balances well, though ... nobody can pick your ergonomics, and everyone seems to end up with a few .22lr guns in whatever type they like.

The Ruger Mk-II series are virtually impossible to beat in reliability, but they are single-action, striker-fired guns. single action ... yes
striker-fired ... wut?

Philippe
July 27, 2011, 10:44 PM
Well, i suppose i'll have to go to my favorite little shop and check a few of them out and see how good the aftermarket availability of stuff is for them.

bigfatdave
July 27, 2011, 10:45 PM
Sounds like Ruger is the favorite. I have shot the MKII's before and loved them, my father had one. Do the MKII's differ a lot from the new MKIII's? Or is it simply just an updated model?

Ruger 22 Auto model comparison chart:
http://www.guntalk-online.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=934

Remo223
July 27, 2011, 10:48 PM
ruger is probably the best for durability but definitely not for accuracy.
accuracy ranking of semi autos would be as follows:

1. colt woodsman
2. old smith&wesson autos
3. hi standard

David E
July 27, 2011, 11:01 PM
The Ruger semi auto .22's are NOT striker fired. They have a concealed hammer and separate firing pin.

CraigC
July 28, 2011, 12:38 AM
There is very little practical difference in accuracy between Rugers, Brownings, Colt's and S&W's. Unless you're a master class bullseye shooter, you won't see a difference. Hard to beat a $300 pistol that shoots a half inch at 25yds.

chris in va
July 28, 2011, 12:44 AM
I can't find ammo that my CZ Kadet won't feed and eject.

The MkIII 22/45 I had jammed on everything except RN bullet profiles. The MkII 22/45 that replaced it ate whatever I could find.

MedWheeler
July 28, 2011, 12:55 AM
I should add that I have found my Ruger Mk-II does not particularly care for the "bulk" Winchester white-box stuff they sell at Wal-Mart. I've also noticed a few others here have said that. Everything else goes through it with nary a stumble..

millertyme
July 28, 2011, 02:29 AM
I would vote for the Buckmark as well but the last couple outings mine has been having some fits. Need to see what to do about it. Previous to last weekend it ran 100%.

ilivas
July 28, 2011, 05:45 AM
I have a Ruger mark II, and Mark III... I love them except for cleaning, I hate field stripping them. The Mark II is the better gun overall I think between the two.

MikePaiN
July 28, 2011, 07:03 AM
My Buckmark Camper URX is so reliable its boring ;) Its never had a malfunction of any kind in thousands of rounds.
I might have to buy an ISSC M22 just to have something t o complain about.......

jimbeaux82
July 28, 2011, 07:09 AM
I vote Ruger Mk II as well. Have had one for over 10 years and never an issue.

Pilot
July 28, 2011, 07:47 AM
I have four Ruger MK II's (one is a MKII era 22/45). They are reliable, accurate, easy to field strip and clean (if you follow the manual!), and built like a tank.

The nice thing about Rugers is that you can also customize them, and turn an accurate plinker into a match grade gun if you want.

snooperman
July 28, 2011, 08:44 AM
and for many years of shooting, the best for me is the High Standard. It is a 40 year old gun , but the others that I have shot including the Buckmark can not match it. The High Standard are not cheap, but you will have a first class shooter for plinking, target work or hunting.

rugerman
July 28, 2011, 07:34 PM
I've got 3 ruger .22lr autoloaders (oldest is over 53 years, youngest is at least 15) and as long as they are reasonabily clean and have good ammo all of them are 100%.

jimk0512
July 28, 2011, 09:13 PM
Ruger 22/45. The local range that rents handguns has several different make/models in every caliber except 22 LR. They only rent the Ruger 22/45 in 22 LR. They got rid of the other 22 LR because they had issues. I own a Ruger 22/45 myself, and like others mine is reliable, accurate, easy to clean, and built like a tank.

intercooler
July 28, 2011, 09:23 PM
S&W 22A-1. No tools required like the Rugers and it's easy take-down and a tack driver without issues!

Old Shooter
July 28, 2011, 09:23 PM
Any of the Rugers, MK II prefered but I'll take a MKIII in a heart beat.

I've had all three of the MK's and all have been just fine, just didn't care for the MKI not staying open on an empty mag.

marcrystal
July 28, 2011, 09:45 PM
+++ on the Ruger - BTW do yourself a favor and DO NOT get a SIG Mosquito. I had one and it was a carousel of malfunctions and trips back to the factory where they can't fix it either unless the "repair" is to shoot only CCI mini mags with your fingers crossed during a full eclipse of the sun. Gives SIG a black eye having them out there, people rave about their bigger bore guns though I've never had one.

Philippe
July 28, 2011, 09:50 PM
Well guys i've settled on a new Ruger MKIII Hunter in Stainless, adjustable rear sights, fiber optic in front and a 6.8 inch fluted bull barrel. I cant wait to get it and head to the range and then to bust some tree chickens later this fall with it!

Lazyshooter
July 29, 2011, 05:27 PM
Browning Buckmark

JERRYB1127
July 29, 2011, 05:32 PM
Why not the Camper model?

marb4
July 29, 2011, 05:33 PM
This may be contrary to much of what you'll read on the web but I have a Walther P22Q that is extremely reliable with a wide variety of ammo. While this is not a target grade pistol it is a ton of fun to plink with and plenty accurate for that purpose.

I have a buckmark as well that is nearly 100% with close to 20K rounds of CCI Blazer and MiniMags down the pipe. Non CCI ammo the reliability is hit and miss.

OldCavSoldier
July 29, 2011, 06:03 PM
I have put approximately 70,000 rounds through my BuckMark since I bought it new in 1999. No failures of any kind. Sent it back to Browning for a check-up at the 60,000 round point, they replaced a couple of minor parts, sent it back, and it continues to perform flawlessly. Here in another 25 or 30 thousand, I think I'll buy a replacement slab-side barrel and continue to fire......

tubeshooter
July 29, 2011, 06:46 PM
Why not the Camper model?

For a long time in the past, Camper came with plastic sight base which will crack if overtightened. I see conflicting reports about metal coming standard with the Camper now or not.

URX grips, when they fit you, are very comfortable. To be fair, the Camper has a better "all-purpose" 1 size fits all grip.

You get your 'ears' on the back of the slide to give more to grab onto when racking it.

If you want a rail, the models with standard rails generally seem to be held in better regard than aftermarket rails.

I think that's about it. Might be worth the extra $50 bucks or so to you - might not. Your call.

ET
July 29, 2011, 07:24 PM
For a long time in the past, Camper came with plastic sight base which will crack if overtightened. I see conflicting reports about metal coming standard with the Camper now or not.

URX grips, when they fit you, are very comfortable. To be fair, the Camper has a better "all-purpose" 1 size fits all grip.

You get your 'ears' on the back of the slide to give more to grab onto when racking it.

If you want a rail, the models with standard rails generally seem to be held in better regard than aftermarket rails.

I think that's about it. Might be worth the extra $50 bucks or so to you - might not. Your call.

I have to agree with these two characteristics in bold type. My wifes Camper was purchased last fall & the top slide plate is plastic. Plus she can't rack the slide because there are no ears to grab on the rear of the slide. Those 2 things make an upgrade worth it. As far as being a quality gun that shoots well, it is that. It just has those two flaws in it.

KodiakBeer
July 29, 2011, 07:35 PM
I'm a Buckmark guy. I love Buckmarks. I think they are more accurate than Rugers and they (by far) have a better stock trigger than Rugers.

But, if reliability is the sole criteria then the Ruger gets the nod. I've owned both and Buckmarks are a bit more finicky with lower velocity ammo than Rugers. Buckmarks are also more prone to malfs when dirty than Rugers, though if you use Eezox rather than gun oil (that collects residue) then that problem goes away.

ET
July 29, 2011, 07:40 PM
...though if you use Eezox rather than gun oil (that collects residue) then that problem goes away.

Oh yeah, I forgot about Eezox. I researched it over a year ago and wanted to buy some, but got sidetracked and forgot about it. I think it's time to locate some and give it a try. The Camper would be the perfect gun to start with.

Hanzo581
July 29, 2011, 08:00 PM
My Walther P22 feels great in my hand and is reliable with decent ammo. It get tons of hate so I am sure this post will get me slammed but I think it is a great plinker. I was recently at a .22 pistol competition and I saw a good amount of Rugers and Buckmarks choke (even one Buckmark a gentlemen let me use for a few strings) with a wide variety of ammo, so no gun is perfect. Buy whatever feels and shoots best for you.

tango2echo
July 29, 2011, 09:04 PM
I have a Ruger 22/45 Mk1 with over 5000 rounds down the tube of Winchester Wildcat 40gr RN and another 1000 rounds of CCI Mini-Mag 36gr HP without a single FTF FTE or failure of any kind. Speaks well of the ammo and the gun. Now if they would make a double stack 20rd version........

GLOOB
July 29, 2011, 09:09 PM
I think the one problem with the Hunter is the fiberoptic sight and the shallow V-groove rear. That's a great setup for a SD pistol. But for a gun this accurate, it's a total shame.

BigN
July 29, 2011, 09:48 PM
I've got a 22 auto, S&W Model 22A. You can fire it as fast as you can, all day, and you can't make it jam. Great, dependable toy.

bigfatdave
July 29, 2011, 09:57 PM
My Walther P22 feels great in my hand and is reliable with decent ammo. It get tons of hate so I am sure this post will get me slammed but I think it is a great plinker. mine is good if clean and fed good ammo, too.
But I wouldn't use it on game, too chancy on the exact POI.

This may be contrary to much of what you'll read on the web but I have a Walther P22Q that is extremely reliable with a wide variety of ammo. two things:
1- if it is a P22q, you can't have had it more than a few months if I'm right about Walther release dates
2- reliable is good, but the OP wants to run a .22pistol as a small game pistol

Hanzo581
July 29, 2011, 11:14 PM
Can someone link me to this P22Q? I see nothing on Walther's site.

Never mind, I see it now, interesting.

http://www.carl-walther.de/index.php?company=walther&lang=EN&content=products&hid=15&uid=2&product=1735

MCgunner
July 29, 2011, 11:41 PM
A superbly accurate and reliable squirrel gun....

http://i46.tinypic.com/inzol5.jpg

Stick with the proven, Ruger or Browning Buckmark...eventually you'll buy one, anyway. :D

gvf
July 31, 2011, 03:53 AM
Browning Buckmark - any of them (I have the camper).

SwampWolf
July 31, 2011, 04:16 PM
Another vote for the Ruger .22 auto.

Philippe
July 31, 2011, 04:33 PM
Wow this thread is still going along nicely, I'd love to see some more pictures of all the pistols everyone mentioned.:D

gunsablazin
July 31, 2011, 04:45 PM
Unfortunately it is no longer in production, I have one that I bought 25 yrs ago, for $115.00. In literaly thousand of rounds I don't recall it ever jamming. I will find another like it and buy it someday, but for now I plink a lot with a Ruger MKII, very hard to beat the Ruger for a small game and range plinker pistol.

Quoheleth
July 31, 2011, 04:49 PM
The only problem my Browning Buckmark has ever had was with Remington ammo. It was an ammo issue as my friend's Ruger 22/45 and my Smith model 17 also had issues with FTFs out of the same brick - between 20-30% failure rate as I recall out of each box of 50 rounds.

Q

HPShooter
July 31, 2011, 08:45 PM
Second the Beretta Model 70S .22......shoots minute of terrorist without fail. Check out the link: http://www.tactical-life.com/online/tactical-weapons/israeli-mossad-22-lrs/
They're worth what you pay for them, if you can find one.

intercooler
July 31, 2011, 08:53 PM
We were in the gun store today and they had a rental S&W 41 which had a tag on it $1076. It was having issues they said. It is like my 22A-1 but 3X the cost. For the money the 22A is hard to beat.

That Beretta like many of the others is limited on barrel length yes?

bigfatdave
July 31, 2011, 10:24 PM
Wow this thread is still going along nicely, I'd love to see some more pictures of all the pistols everyone mentioned. mine looks just like the ones on the Ruger website, the only changes are the internals and the lack of a LCI.
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-L2aSZPcuneo/ThyAg3xELxI/AAAAAAAABSM/JiBZhQv5-_k/s400/DSCN2661.JPG
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-KlsfXH3nGbs/ThyAkxUi9oI/AAAAAAAABSY/ETdiDr8oN0M/s400/DSCN2664.JPG
There's some pictures from the inventory ... not exactly a triumph of artful photography.

intercooler
July 31, 2011, 10:28 PM
22A
http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/226308_125298957550368_106059619474302_217443_5572866_n.jpg

Walt Sherrill
July 31, 2011, 11:09 PM
All of the .22 mentioned are good guns, and reliable. The biggest problem probably won't be with the gun, but with the ammo. Rimfire ammo is probably the most likely-to-fail ammo you can find. It won't misfire or fail a lot, but it'll do so far more often than anything else you're likely to shoot.

I've had mostly Rugers, myself -- but would like a S&W 41, some day.

intercooler
July 31, 2011, 11:12 PM
The 41's are expensive and no longer new. The 22A is so similar it isn't even funny. Single push-button take-down. Rent one and try it.

I get a couple of double strike duds in every box of .22LR. It's a plinker though so I can deal with it!

ColtPythonElite
July 31, 2011, 11:15 PM
Another vote for Rugers. I've got more than one and they all shoot great. My current favorite is a MKII ten incher. Beer cans at 100 yards off a sandbag is doable more times than not.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=146561&d=1312167397

Moptop
July 31, 2011, 11:42 PM
I have 3 Rugers. 1 Mk I bull barrel with a red dot scope, a MK ll bull barrel stock adjustable sights, and a Standard tapered barrell with fixed sights. All of these shoot well and are accurate but cannot compair to my High Standard Sport King M. It will out shoot all of them, and all other .22 autos I have ever shot. They're not cheap but if you can find one at a decent price that's what I recommend getting.

tango2echo
August 1, 2011, 12:53 AM
The biggest problem probably won't be with the gun, but with the ammo. Rimfire ammo is probably the most likely-to-fail ammo you can find. It won't misfire or fail a lot, but it'll do so far more often than anything else you're likely to shoot.

Strictly from a statistics standpoint your wrong. .22LR is actually THE most reliable ammunition based on failure rate to fired round. There is about 2.7 BILLION rounds of .22LR fired every year in the USA alone, but I understand the point you are making. ;)

t2e

Dr_B
August 1, 2011, 12:56 AM
My Smith and Wesson 2213 works flawlessly. This is not most people's idea of target pistols, but it's lots of fun.

geologist
August 1, 2011, 02:06 AM
My Beretta 71, alloy frame. It is very reliable, shoots all ammo except for 333s.

It NEVER jams.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i155/pbgeologist/port.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i155/pbgeologist/starboard.jpg

Kiln
August 1, 2011, 08:54 AM
Walther P22, several thousand rounds...gun hates anything not round nose. Federal bulk lrn that comes in the 325 packs has been completely reliable through 3k+ rounds though.

Great gun IMO and was worth the money.

http://i848.photobucket.com/albums/ab47/Myguns223/NewPictures022.jpg

Walt Sherrill
August 1, 2011, 09:26 AM
Strictly from a statistics standpoint your wrong. .22LR is actually THE most reliable ammunition based on failure rate to fired round. There is about 2.7 BILLION rounds of .22LR fired every year in the USA alone, but I understand the point you are making.

I don't understand your logic. (But it's early and I don't drink coffee, so it may take a while for this to sink in...)

The fact that there are MORE rounds fired doesn't mean, on its face, that the failure rate is lower, which seems to be your argument. If the failure rate isn't lower, you'll also see MORE failed .22 rounds (as a percentage of rounds fired) than anything else. And, even if the failure rate IS lower -- I don't think it is -- you'll still SEE MORE .22 failures than anything else.

Just curious -- what are your data sources about rate of failure for any type of round or caliber?

rbernie
August 1, 2011, 09:34 AM
I am a Buckmark guy, because of its ergonomics, reliability, and trigger quality. I have a 22/45 but the Browning winds up in the range bag a lot more.

intercooler
August 1, 2011, 09:37 AM
Had a Walther and sold it. Is your rear sight loose? Has your front sight popped off yet? Has your slide started to wear yet? Any issue with the slide not going into battery after firing 500 rounds?

SleazyRider
August 1, 2011, 09:53 AM
Had a Walther and sold it. Is your rear sight loose? Has your front sight popped off yet? Has your slide started to wear yet? Any issue with the slide not going into battery after firing 500 rounds?
Let's see: No, no, no, and ... no!

intercooler
August 1, 2011, 02:26 PM
You are extremely lucky then! Mine and others have had that one screw rear sight loose right out of the box. One of the better moves I have made!

Vern Humphrey
August 1, 2011, 02:34 PM
accuracy ranking of semi autos would be as follows:

1. colt woodsman
2. old smith&wesson autos
3. hi standard
+ 1. The Colt Woodsman, with its open action design, is extremly reliable, as well.

Vern Humphrey
August 1, 2011, 02:39 PM
Strictly from a statistics standpoint your wrong. .22LR is actually THE most reliable ammunition based on failure rate to fired round. There is about 2.7 BILLION rounds of .22LR fired every year in the USA alone, but I understand the point you are making.
The number of rounds manufactured tells us nothing about reliability. We need to know the failure rate -- and .22 LR ammo, especially bulk pack, has a much higher failure rate than centerfires.

Dr.Rob
August 1, 2011, 04:06 PM
I've always been a fan of Ruger's design. It's not 'perfect' as every rimfire is only as good as its ammo.. but I have found that OVER lubing it ia sure way to make it FTF.

With good ammo and the right amount of lube a Ruger Mk1 or Mk2 target is one of THE best.

I know Colt and High Standard have a rep for being accurate, but my feeling (having shot a handful of each) is that the Ruger is a touch more reliable.

Plus Colts are no longer made and HS has gone through several companies now.

I haven't shot a Browning or Beretta or some of the others suggested.

Cop Bob
August 1, 2011, 04:24 PM
You will be happy... great gun..

I know of one that is a range gun, a1st generation, 1st year that's finish is so worn it is almost white, it has had probably 1/2 million rounds through it, and still running strong...

I have one, the wife has one, I have gifted several... can you tell I'm a fan..?

The Buckmark also is an excellent choice, to appease those that think I might be prejudicial..

MCgunner
August 1, 2011, 05:28 PM
I know Colt and High Standard have a rep for being accurate, but my feeling (having shot a handful of each) is that the Ruger is a touch more reliable.

Well, my Ruger shoots 1" groups with about anything at 50 yards. I know a Smith 41 can be more accurate, but hey, that's good 'nuf for squirrel hunting. It has a 2x optic on it or I couldn't do that, btw. :D Ain't sayin' much, but it out shoots my 10/22. I guess that's a sad testimony on the 10/22, really. LOL It isn't scoped, though, and can put 'em into 1.5" at 50 yards.

Dr.Rob
August 1, 2011, 06:04 PM
I've knocked down bowling pins with my Ruger at 100 yards (they sort of topple rather than flip) with a 5.5 inch Ruger from a supported hold.

No doubt for 99% of shooters the Ruger is accurate enough. My dad was issued one by the Air Force in the early 60's to practice and qualify for the pistol team. The team captain shot a Colt, but he could afford to. Dad practiced with a Ruger, so he bought a Ruger.

Most guys who made the team (meaning the USAF paid them to shoot instead of do their day jobs) shot higher end pistols like Hammereli's and other exotic target guns.

Sniper X
August 1, 2011, 06:18 PM
Well sir, after about 5000 rounds this has been 110% reliable and I have shot both the Remington green box 550 round cheap stuff from Walmart in it, and the Zappers. Never one malfunction. GSG 1911-22.

http://sniperx.smugmug.com/Sniperx/Sniper-X/i-XgLtWkv/0/M/GSG-1911-and-santa-C-M.jpg

Old Shooter
August 1, 2011, 06:56 PM
Well it looks like you will have to buy a Ruger and Browning both and shoot them side-by-side until you are satisfied.

I've had both, still have a Ruger and the Browning was fine but my daughter claimed it as hers a few years back. I'd buy another but the Ruger serves me just fine for now.

bigfatdave
August 1, 2011, 08:02 PM
I've knocked down bowling pins with my Ruger at 100 yards (they sort of topple rather than flip) with a 5.5 inch Ruger from a supported hold.

I take great pleasure in ringing an 18" gong from 100 yards freehand with the stock sights ... while guys shooting rifles prone miss.
10 for 10 hits, while they run rounds into the berm and curse at their optics.

Dr.Rob
August 1, 2011, 11:25 PM
I did it on a lark using a wooden column at an outdoor range to brace myself. I couldn't do that off hand.

bigfatdave
August 2, 2011, 03:31 AM
a bowling pin is less forgiving than a 18" circle, it did take me a few magazines watching dust puffs on the backstop to dial in my holdover (had to line the sights up just barely over the top to get hits every time)

I surely can't just walk up to the 100 yard line and start popping targets, if I had some bowling pins I'd take a few potshots at them from various distances, though!

tubeshooter
August 2, 2011, 06:40 PM
I bet a lot of people end up getting both the Ruger and Buckmark over time.

Both seem to be good performers at a good value.

I'm sure I will pick up a Ruger at some point - even if it's just the basic model.

micromontenegro
August 3, 2011, 05:26 PM
Another vote for the Beretta 70S- the only semi auto I have shot tens of thousands of times without a failure.

MCgunner
August 3, 2011, 05:53 PM
I bet a lot of people end up getting both the Ruger and Buckmark over time.

Both seem to be good performers at a good value.

They have the Buckmarks at Academy for right nice prices and I have NO DOUBT that I will add one to my little rimfire collection in the near future. :D It ain't like I NEED it, but it really ain't about NEED. I just really wanted the Ruger first and I found mine a few years back at a gun show used with the optic for $275 and it's a Mk2 which I would prefer over the Mk3. I've piddled around with this or that brand, but I finally broke down and got the Ruger, couldn't resist anymore. My resistance to the Buckmark is breaking down now. :D

JustinJ
August 3, 2011, 06:12 PM
I picked up a LE confiscated Ruger 22/45 from my favorite local GS for $160. It had minor cosmetic wear but runs flawlessly and shoots like a laser. The downside to the Mark III series is they are a pain in the rear to reassemble. I don't break it down regularly enough to remember how to reassemble it from the last time so always have to use the manual.

searcher451
August 4, 2011, 05:57 PM
I don't see how you can go wrong with the Ruger Mark line, the Browning Buck Mark line, or the Walther PP line. I own several of these, all of which are range favorites, none of which have ever given me a single whit of issue or problem.

If you enjoyed reading about "Most reliable .22 auto pistol" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!