sons of guns new episode

PDA

edwood
July 27, 2011, 08:45 PM
Has anyone seen the new one coming out this Aug.? The synopsis says that a client comes in with a right handed AR and wants them to convert it to Left. I gave up on this show as silly after the first few episodes. But as I was looking at the shows on Discovery I ran across this. Really? I mean I just built an AR and ordered a complete Upper form Stag for 469 delivered that was left handed. I even got the 22 conversion for the left upper for 199 with it. They are really reaching to keep material for the show. I guess if people are not familiar with guns its a fun show to watch, but for me its like watching WWF and calling it real sports.

If you enjoyed reading about "sons of guns new episode" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Bula
July 27, 2011, 08:56 PM
It's lame TV. You're right, it isn't for the real enthusiast. They're pandering to the masses. My favorite, the dork "hush hush" clientele with "people in harms way". Please, dungeons and dragons role play is hardly 'in harms way'.

Gunsarefun
July 27, 2011, 09:00 PM
I agree. I believe its targeted for the people who only know two types of guns: AK's and M16's. Not a true enthusiast. Just for people who see guns in movies and games i guess.

steven58
July 27, 2011, 09:25 PM
Guns, EBRs, shown in a good light, being used legally, on a major cable channel during prime time? And some of us are complaining:rolleyes:!

Yes it's a bit silly, and aimed at the "great unwashed" public who probably don't know a clip from a magazine but its still great PR for OUR side. In fact I"m watching it right now:neener:

I cant wait to see Jerry Miculek shoot a semi auto suppressed AK faster than a full auto AK! Maybe he will even try it with a revolver:D

Just think of all of the teens and young adults that might be exposed to Mr. Miculek for the first time and who might be sparked to firearms ownership by a TV show like this one.

Top Shot, Sons of Guns, One Man Army, Swamp People etc. are all great shows for introducing the non shooting public to fun with guns. We of course can enjoy these shows by sitting grumpily in front of our TVs and grousing about how we just know soo much more than they do!:cuss:

How many of us would rather have guns on TV be defined by shows like Law & Order, Hawaii 5-O or the clowns on PMS-NBC?:barf:

EddieNFL
July 27, 2011, 09:33 PM
I agree; it's great for the masses.

tntwatt
July 27, 2011, 09:36 PM
@ steven58: Very good point. I happen to agree.

Plus, I'd rather watch a lame gun show than 99% of the other trash on TV.

mortomr
July 27, 2011, 11:59 PM
I grew up in a very gun un-friedly house, and later in life as I grew up I never really got the draw of recreational shooting -pardon the pun...

and who might be sparked to firearms ownership by a TV show like this one

But that's me... since this March, I got the bug from these shows. I've gone from having a shotgun around the house from when I lived on the other side of the tracks, that was last shot sometime late"ish" last century (a day or two after it was purchased); to acquiring :) and shooting... and reloading ...and bullet casting for, several firearms that've been kicking around my wife's family for ages collecting dust, to adding a few more new and new to me guns to the budding arsenal along the way. Now I'm a full-on dyed in the wool NRA member, range officer, wheel weight scrounger -Oh yes friends that bug bit hard.

It's fair to say that my tastes in firearms television have become more "refined" in the last six months (for those of you at home keeping score) - less Discovery channel - more Outdoor channel, but I don't think I've jumped on the bandwagon without the nudge from Mr. Hayden and company and the others.

It's definitely good PR.

FIVETWOSEVEN
July 28, 2011, 12:03 AM
I cant wait to see Jerry Miculek shoot a semi auto suppressed AK faster than a full auto AK! Maybe he will even try it with a revolver

Its physically impossible to do that simply because the AK fires full auto as fast as it can cycle. Unless the Suppressed AK could cycle faster it would be impossible.

edwood
July 28, 2011, 09:53 AM
Personally I don't think this show does anything positive for our cause. If anything it turns non gun owners off. The attitude and fake attitudes coupled with the fake blowing things up when they shoot a 223 into a bus will only reinforce the fear of a gun being a death ray to the uninformed. The show does little to give any real information and only displays firearms a cartoonish way. Not to mention his daughters voice is like nails on a chalk board. LOL

shaggy430
July 28, 2011, 10:02 AM
I've only seen two episodes and I thought they were horrible. One of the episodes was the 1000 yard AK. I thought it was an iteresting idea, but they didn't show anything about what caliber they converted it to or what they did to accurize it other than put a new barrel on it. The whole side story about the girl who works the front breaking up with her boyfried was ridiculous. The show is definitely not for gun people but more for redneck reality show junkies.

edwood
July 28, 2011, 10:12 AM
Good point shaggy or should I say rood roint raggy. Sorry could not resist the scooby doo joke. :)
I do agree with your point. Its all staged and they do nothing that any real gun person would like. If you like NASCAR and the perpetual right turn, or house wives of Mississippi you may enjoy this. But there is no real information or reality here. Its all made up and staged. More like WWF than any real gun show. :barf:

USAF_Vet
July 28, 2011, 10:33 AM
The show has pro's and con's for Red Jacket.

Before the show, they were a small business that dealt with a niche market. Low overhead, but low workload, I'd assume.

With the show, their popularity has skyrocketed and their workload is through the roof. I don't think they care one bit if their customers are enthusiasts with a lot of firearms knowledge or if they are mall ninja wanna-bes with too much cash on hand. The cash spends either way.

From a business perspective, this show is probably one of the best things that ever happened to Red Jacket, regardless of the nonsense portrayed and the target demographic.

The con's are limited to the scope of enthusiasts who nit pick the show to death. We are the minority. They are raking in cash hand over fist because of their notoriety, can't blame them for that.

hardluk1
July 28, 2011, 10:54 AM
The difference is see with atleast a few of these shows is the people on them a life style that would not change regaurdless of the camerias. And that would be the gator hunters, trucking and the loggers would fall under that same group. They have done this for years or generations and will continue reguardless. Would red jacket or occ build there cr*p if it was not for tv?? nope. And occ children would have never been more than a screwed local shop with 3 people working there and red jacket will go back to being just any other local shop. The rest like one man army and the other challenge shows might be more entertaining to the masses in general.

TCB in TN
July 28, 2011, 11:01 AM
Plus, I'd rather watch a lame gun show than 99% of the other trash on TV.

With you on this!

Personally I don't think this show does anything positive for our cause. If anything it turns non gun owners off. The attitude and fake attitudes coupled with the fake blowing things up when they shoot a 223 into a bus will only reinforce the fear of a gun being a death ray to the uninformed. The show does little to give any real information and only displays firearms a cartoonish way. Not to mention his daughters voice is like nails on a chalk board. LOL

I disagree, first of all most of the people who understand the problems with the show are gun folks already. People who are ignorant of guns will have difficulty picking out those fake things.

Second this is a show with a wide viewership in which guns are shown as legal, gun owners not portrayed as bloodthirsty killers, and for the most part everyone is HAPPY. Just about every episode is positive, it shows that not just anyone can walk into a gun shop and buy a machine gun, and it also shows that class3 weapons are not cheap.

BTW real information is for people who care about getting real information. Most people watch TV to be entertained. I know of plenty of non-shooters who actually watch this, and love it.

leserz
July 28, 2011, 11:20 AM
i seen the show a few times .i guess it's ok. not a big fan at all.

USAF_Vet
July 28, 2011, 11:33 AM
Would red jacket or occ build there cr*p if it was not for tv?? nope.

I've got to disagree with you. Red Jacket has been around for much longer than their TV show. They specialize in customizing AK platform rifles / shotguns and NFA weapons, including dealer samples. Most of the gimmick guns on the show are just that, dealer samples. Who has a practical need for a triple full auto M-16? No one, not even the military. They build them because they can, and it does provide a source of revenue, even if it is only swapped between other NFA dealers and the occasional Law Enforcement Agency with an inflated budget.

As far as OCC, the chopper craze isn't anything new. It's been around since the 60's, if not earlier. They would still be making highly custom bikes, maybe only one or two a year, along with their regular work which is not portrayed on the show. Same with Sons of Guns, their regular work, the bread and butter than keeps the lights on and the employees paid, isn't what gets on TV.

The thing that the shows have done for OCC and Red Jacket is that they allow them to portray their side work center stage. Would you watch a show where all that was showed is someone dropping a new FCG into a Saiga? I wouldn't, unless I had the need for cheap instructions on how to drop a FCG into a Saiga.

I watch SoG, but I also appreciate it for what it is. Overly contrived dealer samples that will never see the public market. Dream weapons to the average joe, that we could only wish to play with.

wheelgunslinger
July 28, 2011, 11:56 AM
Shops like red jacket do some very cool things, and promote shooting as a mature and fun hobby. They're feeling their way along as to what to show, so the show is evolving as it goes. I'm sure the girl in the front probably tests well with some of the doofi in the audience, so they showed that she's single now to spur viewership. Big deal. They still built a mobile rocket launcher, replica bazooka, 1000m AK, and other cool stuff.
If I owned red jacket, I wouldn't make a show with detailed instructions on how to make a 1000meter AK either. I'd let the show air and long after the net'sperts are done carping I'd still have people picking up the phone and ordering product.
These people are good at what they do. I'm happy to have a shooting program on tv that shows such a mature, scientific, and thoughtful artisanal approach to the subject.
You really think that a documentary show about hours of laborious work tuning AK's would stay on the air long? yeah-no.
When I go to gun shops I tend to have to walk through or around the gnat-like crowds of know it alls or tactical teds. Red Jacket's show saves the would-be gun consumer from that awful reality and shows a glamorous side of firearms and a fun one that we should all be happy is on the air.
It's not masterpiece theater. No one said it is. But if you don't lean forward when they're firing some of that stuff, you're dead inside. :neener:

Jim Watson
July 28, 2011, 12:07 PM
All that stuff is light entertainment that happens to have guns.

But really; serious shooting events are not good spectator sports.
We often tell people, don't plan on coming to watch IDPA, IPSC, CAS, etc. Bring your gun, because after you have seen a little, you will want to SHOOT.

And TV is a slow way to impart detailed information, book or internet is much more efficient and not as error prone. Books are edited and a misstatement on a gunboard like this will soon be corrected. But there is a lot of egregious nonsense about guns from supposedly authoritative sources on tv.

FIVETWOSEVEN
July 28, 2011, 12:09 PM
Another point about the show is that I'm sure they have an editor that asks for specific things and leaves out other things. The whole thing with the bullet puller had to have been an editor because using those is simply and my understanding safe. Granted the whole thing about the Arisaka ammo being hard to find was silly but you have to understand, they are working with an editor.

mythree
July 28, 2011, 12:22 PM
It promotes the head Clowns business interest that's about it really.

Not sure who got paid to do this ridiculous mess of a show. Amateur league fer sure...!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatal

Jim Watson
July 28, 2011, 12:35 PM
Yes, the whole Arisaka thing was a joke.
I wish they had spent some of the mystery Jap ammunition time on showing the inscription on the plate attached to the butt of the rifle.

There was an important area left unmentioned on the 1000 yard AK story; you had to be watching closely to pick it up.

How DID Jerry M. come out vs the full auto? I saw him fire 10 AIMED shots in 1.54 sec from an outside start signal, but was off watching the baseball game when it came Joe Gunplumber's turn with the auto. Of course the cyclic rate would let him dump ten rounds in a second or less, but were hits to be considered?

dirtymike1
July 28, 2011, 01:13 PM
Just about every episode is positive, it shows that not just anyone can walk into a gun shop and buy a machine gun, and it also shows that class3 weapons are not cheap.

Exactly, in the first season that kid that walked in an wanted to buy the SBS for a hunting trip that weekend that got bent when he was told that there is a lot fo paperwork that goes into getting walked out. That shows that guns are just handed out like candy.

There was an important area left unmentioned on the 1000 yard AK story; you had to be watching closely to pick it up.

I watched this, what did I miss?

Iramo94
July 28, 2011, 01:39 PM
If you like NASCAR and the perpetual right turn, or house wives of Mississippi you may enjoy this.
Doesn't NASCAR turn left?
Anyway, previous posts are right. The show sheds light on the truth about NFA weapons, and it definitely shows that 99.99999% of gun owners are just regular, if not just a bit eccentric, normal people. Obviously it doesn't interest real gun enthusiasts, but it's a start.

StrutStopper
July 28, 2011, 02:06 PM
Yes, the whole Arisaka thing was a joke.
I wish they had spent some of the mystery Jap ammunition time on showing the inscription on the plate attached to the butt of the rifle.

How DID Jerry M. come out vs the full auto? I saw him fire 10 AIMED shots in 1.54 sec from an outside start signal, but was off watching the baseball game when it came Joe Gunplumber's turn with the auto. Of course the cyclic rate would let him dump ten rounds in a second or less, but were hits to be considered?
Jerry M. Lost. I think the full auto went 1.42? I enjoy the show. No, it isn't going to make me a gunsmith but considering I have to contend with housewives of (fill in the state), project runway, or any of the "stuff" my wife watches it sure is refreshing.

KodiakBeer
July 28, 2011, 02:11 PM
The thing that bothers me the most (and I admit I watch the show, but it's more like I'm ogling a car wreck) is how badly all the people in the show shoot. At least once an episode, they shoot in their little ten yard indoor range and spray bullets all over the place. I find it hard to trust somebody who shoots a gun like a complete novice, to build a gun.

Owner
July 28, 2011, 02:22 PM
The thing that bothers me the most (and I admit I watch the show, but it's more like I'm ogling a car wreck) is how badly all the people in the show shoot. At least once an episode, they shoot in their little ten yard indoor range and spray bullets all over the place. I find it hard to trust somebody who shoots a gun like a complete novice, to build a gun.
certainly agreed..:P it also urks me slightly at how they butcher classic weapons..thinking of the episode where they took the ww2 browning .30 cal MG and "tactikalized" it for that police officer that wanted to shoulder fire it in a competition

Cal-gun Fan
July 28, 2011, 02:47 PM
Owner-who gives a crap? The guy WANTED it done that way. I am a purist myself, but I don't feel the need to go p--s on guys who want to optimize their guns. Same with the Tommy gun.

Imagine you are Will. A guy comes in and says "Hi. I have this original X gun that I would like to get modernized. What can you do for me?"
Would you REALLY say "Oh, sorry, I can't do that, that is a piece of history!" ?

Owner
July 28, 2011, 02:52 PM
Owner-who gives a crap? The guy WANTED it done that way. I am a purist myself, but I don't feel the need to go p--s on guys who want to optimize their guns. Same with the Tommy gun.

Imagine you are Will. A guy comes in and says "Hi. I have this original X gun that I would like to get modernized. What can you do for me?"
Would you REALLY say "Oh, sorry, I can't do that, that is a piece of history!" ?
yes..i will agree my original assessment was a bit rash...TBH i would most likely ask the guy was he sure he wanted to do this to a piece of history :P

Cal-gun Fan
July 28, 2011, 03:01 PM
I would think that the change would be perfectly reversable though. They still have the original barrel and the original backplate, so they could easily restore it to the original form.

EDIT: If you don't want to see them butcher a classic gun though, DON'T watch the episode with the OCC guys. They ravished that 1919 for no reason!

Owner
July 28, 2011, 03:09 PM
I would think that the change would be perfectly reversable though. They still have the original barrel and the original backplate, so they could easily restore it to the original form.

EDIT: If you don't want to see them butcher a classic gun though, DON'T watch the episode with the OCC guys. They ravished that 1919 for no reason!
I saw the occ episode but only caught the tail end and didn't know they had <deleted> a 1919 to create that horror...ugh...it was so ridiculous looking i couldn't tell what it had been.
i would have been happy not knowing what that gun once was lol

Cal-gun Fan
July 28, 2011, 03:12 PM
Hah, yes...they took a 1919, had it chromed, had a tattoo artist paint it, and made it so that it fired with handlebars...that weren't attached to a bike...I think they got high off of the solvents in that episode :P Most of them I do like, and this one wasn't BAD, just was one of their weaker ones.
The pyrotechnic guitar was pretty awesome though.

Owner
July 28, 2011, 03:15 PM
Hah, yes...they took a 1919, had it chromed, had a tattoo artist paint it, and made it so that it fired with handlebars...that weren't attached to a bike...I think they got high off of the solvents in that episode :P Most of them I do like, and this one wasn't BAD, just was one of their weaker ones.
The pyrotechnic guitar was pretty awesome though.
ugh..how many classic guns will they destroy :P

Cal-gun Fan
July 28, 2011, 03:23 PM
That actually was the first one you can really count-the rest were ordered by customers.

Justin
July 28, 2011, 05:14 PM
Guys, can we please keep to actual criticisms of the show, rather than commenting on the perceived attractiveness (or lack thereof) of the only woman in the cast?

This place is called The High Road, after all, and what amounts to virtual cat-calling (or it's opposite) is really not classy.

Mac Attack
July 28, 2011, 05:15 PM
Do they make anything other than AK's or Siagas! All you ever see them working on are AKs. Sure they work in customer guns like M16s, 1919's...etc.

I watch the show occasionally but only if there is nothing else to watch.

Dewey 68
July 28, 2011, 05:19 PM
I've watched about half of the latest episode, so I can't comment fully on it, but I thought it was hilarious how they tie-in the American Chopper guys. Will just happens to have a Skype connection setup with Jr. :rolleyes: Maybe they can do more tie-ins in the future with other shows on Discovery. Just think of the possibilities:

Will helps Jamie and Adam with their next gun myth on Mythbusters; maybe they could help shoot Buster in the little finger with a .45 ACP and see if he spins around.

The Red Jacket crew designs a gun for one of the boats on Deadliest Catch that fires the grappling hook to catch the buoy so that they can pull up their pots. This could "open a whole new market for them".

Will designs a new gun that will fire computerized probes into funnel clouds for extreme meteorologist Reed Timmer from Stormchasers. Oh wait, that's been done, but it could "open up a whole new market" for Red Jacket.

Biologist and River Monster host Jeremy Wade calls Red Jacket to have them design a new gun that fires nets to help him snare his latest river monster quest, opening up "a whole new market" for Will and his team.

Man, they've got at least another season's worth of episodes right there!:D

Ballistic Mule
July 28, 2011, 05:33 PM
It sure would be nice to see a show simalar to top shot with different types of firearms at assorted target setups without all the drama.That, I think, would be watchable to us and non gunners.

Sons of guns.....Not so much.

KodiakBeer
July 29, 2011, 02:32 AM
Last year they took an original unassembled WWII era M2 out of the original packaging and the first thing they did was laser etch their logo on the side.

Owner
July 29, 2011, 09:41 AM
It sure would be nice to see a show simalar to top shot with different types of firearms at assorted target setups without all the drama.That, I think, would be watchable to us and non gunners.

Sons of guns.....Not so much.
I agree completely! do they think people like to watch staged ?...What am i saying..they must,theres a network called Tru-tv on the air:D

feedthehogs
July 29, 2011, 10:01 AM
They are raking in cash hand over fist because of their notoriety, can't blame them for that.

Certainly can't blame them for that since politicians have been selling their integrity and self respect since the begining of time. Why shouldn't the general public have a chance to do the same?

Tv doesn't sell without the CLOWN factor. Think big brother, Jersey Shore, Real Housewives, the whole Lifetime lineup. Real life is boring, good work and integrity is a snooze fest. Even a decent show like Top Shot has to introduce the personality drama factor. I call it Real Housewives with guns.

kdf101
July 29, 2011, 10:18 AM
I like the show. It is just entertainment, better than a lot of the shows on. While almost all of it is staged, like all "reality shows", at least I get to see a lot of cool guns.

USAF_Vet
July 29, 2011, 10:18 AM
I'm not going to argue the differences between politicians selling out and a small business selling out.

When it comes to business, there is a fine line that is often quite blurry between selling out, and making a great marketing decision that increases business. You know, maybe Bill Gates sold out when he purchased the DOS operating system and developed Microsoft.

Tv doesn't sell without the CLOWN factor.

Correct. So lets blame the ones who embrace this avenue of success because our morals are so much higher. If you were a business owner, what would you do? Continue with a small list of clientele or take the risk of looking like a clown and increasing your business and profits ten fold? In our money rules all society, I think most business would 'sell out' in a heartbeat.

Cal-gun Fan
July 29, 2011, 03:39 PM
I'm just happy that we have several shows on the air now on major basic cable networks that show gun people to be ordinary, sane citizens. Not everyone wants to get a full hour of sight adjusting tips or reloading recipes. If this show was all about the technical stuff, it would be too boring for almost the entire audience. Be glad that it's even on. Better than Jersey Shore.
Well...I love the show...but "Ordinary and Sane" are not words I would necessarily use to describe some of the guys on Sons of guns :)

dirtymike1
July 29, 2011, 03:43 PM
I will say that when I first heard this show was coming out, I thought it was going ot be nothing more than a high detailed, let's talk trigger polishing today type show. While I can understand what it takes to make a show interesting, I do tune in every week for the new episode.

stickhauler
July 30, 2011, 03:18 AM
How "high road" is it for someone to trash NASCAR (who truly don't have a thing to do with Red Jacket or Sons Of Guns), especially a person who can't even say which way they turn in the sport?

Don't like NASCAR? Fine. I don't much care for golf either, but I'm not on here trashing the PGA. If the sport is so bad, I wonder why there are all those big honkin' RV's worth more than some folks houses at every race? Wonder why corporate America is throwing millions into sponsoring the teams?

And yes, I'm a NASCAR fan, have been since the early 60's, back when it wasn't cool.

ol' scratch
July 30, 2011, 07:25 AM
I saw an episode where they completely destroyed a Browning M1919 by chroming and painting it up like a dragon with handle bars. :barf: Then they had the clown posse from American Chopper come down and shoot the abortion. I did think the episode with the tri-M16 was kind of cool. I will say it is nice that there is a show that kind of glamorizes guns and makes them look less evil. Most of the guns that these guys play with have shoulder thingies, barrel doohickeys and shoot lots of rounds really fast. I like to think that the people at the Brady Campaign are reeling right now due to this show.

steven58
July 30, 2011, 11:44 AM
So, was the Saiga semi auto shotgun that one OCC guy bought from Red Jacket in AL as a present for his brother, a NY resident, legally transferred to the buyer in NY when Red Jacket came up to NY and "delivered" to the non purchasing brother?

I didn't see a NY FFL involved anywhere.

And is it, with it's extended magazine, legal to posses in NY?

Just askin:evil:

RalphS
July 30, 2011, 11:55 AM
I have just a few random comments -

1. The anti-gun crowd must really hate this show.

2. Alot of city folks who grew up never seeing or touching a gun are seeing this show and thinking that guns look like fun.

3. The problem with all these "reality" shows is that they run out of good ideas pretty fast. After that, the show producers start making up completely ridiculous stories and guys from other reality shows like OCC start showing up. Red Jacket should have agreed to do one season and then shut it down.

Cal-gun Fan
July 30, 2011, 12:52 PM
Why the heck would they want to do that? Even if the ideas aren't great they are getting paid by the show and they are getting lots of publicity. Why on god's green earth would a small business want to give that up?

RalphS
July 30, 2011, 05:25 PM
"Why the heck would they want to do that? Even if the ideas aren't great they are getting paid by the show and they are getting lots of publicity. Why on god's green earth would a small business want to give that up? "

Dignity?

Enco
July 30, 2011, 05:56 PM
Watched the first season and found it entertaining, but last week they brought
those idiots from American Chopper to"help" them with a chrome machine gun !
If this is where the show is headed I'm changing channels.

Enco

Cal-gun Fan
July 30, 2011, 09:06 PM
"Why the heck would they want to do that? Even if the ideas aren't great they are getting paid by the show and they are getting lots of publicity. Why on god's green earth would a small business want to give that up? "

Dignity?
...really?

Lets say you own a gun store that also manufactures guns. You have the opportunity to be on television, get paid to be on television, and build some really neat and unusual guns that you would not normally get to be building. Your business is doing extremely well, business is great.

Would you really say "no, I won't do that" because some of the ideas are a bit silly?

M-Cameron
July 30, 2011, 09:24 PM
...really?

Lets say you own a gun store that also manufactures guns. You have the opportunity to be on television, get paid to be on television, and build some really neat and unusual guns that you would not normally get to be building. Your business is doing extremely well, business is great.

Would you really say "no, I won't do that" because some of the ideas are a bit silly?

money isnt everything to some people......

acting like a fool on TV......for a few thousand bucks.......im sure there are plenty of people who would take it........and im sure there are plenty of people who wouldnt.

like he said......dignity.

Cal-gun Fan
July 30, 2011, 09:31 PM
money isnt everything to some people......

acting like a fool on TV......for a few thousand bucks.......im sure there are plenty of people who would take it........and im sure there are plenty of people who wouldnt.

like he said......dignity.
Dignity has no place in capitalism! :P

paddling_man
July 31, 2011, 12:58 AM
I haven't *learned* anything from watching the show - I'm not looking for it as a source of education. I *have* found it to be entertaining. Certainly, there is an edge of A-Team silliness in the final production but that is Hollywood and I still find the show fun to watch.

I was in the shop back in April and you couldn't ask for a nicer group of folks.

BullSkater
July 31, 2011, 09:37 AM
I glad to see I am not the only one here that thinks this show is junk.

raveneap
July 31, 2011, 10:02 AM
I watch it for entertainment but obviously it's not day to day stuff. As has been said here, if they showed the routine work of a gun shop (or car shop, or whatever shop) ratings would be nil right off the bat. Red Jacket's stuff is shown for the entertainment value. And like has always been said, if someone doesn't like/agree with what's on TV, use the button marked "OFF."

gym
July 31, 2011, 01:55 PM
Its the orange county choppers of guns. Hurry, hurry, got to get that part, and at the last minute they get it to work.

Dr.Rob
July 31, 2011, 02:05 PM
You BET all that was covered off camera.. Discovery has been bitten before for firearms rules violations (mythbusters comes to mind) and rest assured there's a number of legal eagles on the poduction team.

You'll note it had a thumbhole stock instead of a pistol grip for one.

788Ham
July 31, 2011, 02:17 PM
I understand Will likes to build semi autos, and rebuild full machine guns, what would be neat for one episode, is how he builds one of his rifles to shoot one hole at 250 yds. Will and one of his builders are shooting rifles on a range, Will tells him about being able to shoot the semi auto more accurately. Now, lets see Will use his Marine marksmanship, and gun smithing abilities, and show how he does it, into a one shot rifle, even just for one show.

FIVETWOSEVEN
July 31, 2011, 07:42 PM
Discovery has been bitten before for firearms rules violations (mythbusters comes to mind) and rest assured there's a number of legal eagles on the poduction team.

Never heard about this, what happened?

csspecs
August 1, 2011, 01:57 AM
Can we put our best face forward and NOT refer to Wills daughter as hot or ugly?

As for the show.. Most of what you learn is in job setups, the mounting fixtures and tools you see in passing on the benches. You can learn a lot, its just not spoon fed to you.

I'd like them to do some normal non-NFA builds, so they can show off their normal builds a little.

edwood
August 1, 2011, 08:57 AM
If you want information go to one of the videos you can find on line that is made to inform. Not how to paint a dragon and weld ape hangers on a m1919. Its a joke of a show that is scripted and if for mind numb watching. The prices are ridiculous also, 1900 for a striped down AR? If you like it fine, if you like WWF fine but don't come here and say its real. It ain't.

Patriotme
August 1, 2011, 09:40 AM
I will agree that it seems like they are constantly trying to reinvent the wheel on this show. There are certainly a lot of contractors, security specialists and "Operators" coming to them for half a$$ solutions for problems that have already been solved.
A few of my friends that own guns but are not really gun guys like this show and usually ask me what I think about mounting dual water cooled M16's on a patrol boat or a 1000 yd AK. They seem suprised when I tell them that most of this stuff is useless or just a novelty.
I like the show but I only watch it if I come across it while channel surfing. It's not worth setting time aside to catch the latest episode.
I keep expecting the latest show to have some "Operator" asking them to somehow invent a means of moving troops from point A to point B in a mechanized vehicle. They then take Briggs & Stratton lawn mower engines and mount them to children's uparmored red wagons. This is the kind of thing I'm expecting from the show at this point.

zfk55
August 1, 2011, 09:53 AM
Man, it's a reaaallly good thing everyone here is hot! :D That makes it a lot easier to say who's not! :D

edwood
August 1, 2011, 10:38 AM
Patriotme, I agree, nothing wrong with watching Bugs Bunny and Felix the cat, as long as you don't pass it off as any kind of reality. They act like showing you how and why they build a suppressor is giving away some trade drug secret. Like you can't buy one and just well take it apart. LOL. Its NASCAR or WWF, if you find it entertaining I can't argue with that, I like Pawn stars and American Pickers but its all staged and scripted and I see many times things that are pure BS. This one is different because they have to invent everything for the show as their day to day work if they even do it anymore is so boring to the public that they would get a very low Youtube rated viewership.
[gun people]

They try to dress up steph and bring in the sex thing that does not work for me but as you can see from the posts it does for some. LOL. If I want sex there are plenty of porn channels for free that would do many times better. Will and his hard ass BS scripted we put out the best bla bla bla garbage and the laughing hyena red neck two brain cell shop rat and the tattoo who tries to keep him from blowing up the shop are par for a scripted faux reality show. I personally don't think it does much good for our hobby either. Most people will see this as more evidence to ban hicap mags and some types of guns. They make it sound on the show like you can walk in and have your AK converted to auto instead of saying Reagan limited it to the pool that existed in the 80s or that suppressors take several months and exhaustive back ground checks. Its easy enough to have the uninformed sell black talons making zig zag patterns in body's to take out every organ, I don't think heaping more foolish information is helping anyone except the RJ bank account. But I always said if you put a million in cash in front of me my principals my go out the window just like most other people who are tempted.

I don't blame the RJ people for selling this crap, I blame the viewers who watch it for making it a show that stays on the air, but thats just my opinion. I also think was gun people have done more to hurt our cause than those who hate guns. Like the idiot Ted Nugent. Holding an AR on stage telling Hillary to suck on this or Obama to sit on this does nothing but razz up the low information idiots who would hoot and holler at anyone saying Hillary bad, NRA good. I have said if for many years, I love guns, gun people not so much. Just like horses, I love horses, horse people not so much.

X-JaVeN-X
August 1, 2011, 10:50 AM
some of you sound like a bunch of women complaining just to complain....at least it's about guns. You sound like you're either jealous or just enjoying being an armchair quarterback...Got a better show? Then do it...

hso
August 1, 2011, 10:53 AM
I don't know if there's a forum called The Low Road, but the trash talk in this thread belongs there instead of here. There have been warnings in every SOG thread on this.

If you support the show, keep it within THR's standards for civility and language. If you don't like the show, keep it within THR's standards for civility and language.

If you can't keep it within THR's standards, take it somewhere else.

Criticize the show without the trash talk or support it without rancor.

USAF_Vet
August 1, 2011, 11:05 AM
Bringing this back on topic somewhat, I noticed something at the tail end of SoG. Will went to New York to visit the chopper guys, bringing with him a shotgun as a gift for the fat bearded one ((didn't catch his name) before you flame me, I'm a fat bearded guy myself))

Is this legal? Interstate transport of a firearm and all, wouldn't this need to be transfered via an FFL in NY state?

edwood
August 1, 2011, 11:19 AM
I don't have to be able to cook to know that a plate of dog crap is not for me. If you like it hey by all means watch it. I think people like you are just upset that we shed a light on how its a low information show and are just lashing out at your own guilt. LOL And there are some who think Casey Anthony is hot. Personally I don't see women who put their kids in garbage bags and throw them into swamps as hot. The 12 idiots in Orlando bought the steaming pile though.

mbogo
August 1, 2011, 05:28 PM
NY residents can buy long guns while in most states (NJ is one notable exception). Handguns are an entirely different matter.

mbogo

edwood
August 1, 2011, 05:48 PM
:evil:New episode this week. They combine a vacuum cleaner with an AK so you can target practice while you do your house work. Next week they add an AR to a nail gun so you can force open your door when you forget your keys while putting on new siding. LMFAO.:evil:

Iramo94
August 1, 2011, 05:50 PM
Next week they add an AR to a nail gun so you can force open your door when you forget your keys while putting on new siding.
That wouldn't work at all. They already "invented" the MasterKey, remember?

Mohawk
August 1, 2011, 05:51 PM
I've personally known Will and family for many years. Long before Son's of Guns was even an Idea. There are no finer, honest, top line people in the gun community. Don't you think that if there were any customers of his that were ever unhappy for any reason with his products, they would surely pipe up now with their complaints? But there are none. Many gun owners don't like his show but almost to a man like his products and are willing to pay and wait for them.

Will didn't make this show for all you internet gun owners. If he wanted to make something that would appeal to you purists he would have put out a Cd that you could buy mail order on a subject you care about like resetting the bolt gap on a 1919A-4. Or calculating the harmonic vibration and torque of a 1mm AK receiver in full auto mode. He made this show to appeal to the general public who never get to play with the type of stuff he shows. A lot of it is “firearm fantasies.” "Boy, how cool would it be to mount one of them-thar belt fed machine guns on the handle bars of a custom Harley?" "Yeah! paint it up all custom!" This stuff has a very wide audience appreciation outside the professional gun community.

In the end, it's all about results. You want results? First off, the advertising is all very high end stuff. There are no "Sham-Wows" being sold during his shows or Ronco salad choppers. It's 45,000.00 Dodge dually, 50 thousand Lexus, etc. Also he has his TV shop, a second production shop, strictly for fulfilling his catalog of Red Jacket products and just recently he has added a third shop which is larger than the other two combined to handle the increased production needs of his catalog orders. Going from 3 smiths to hiring 30 smiths full time in a year, just to keep up with increased demand is not a very bad thing and a sure sign of a successful business.

Someone mentioned Dignity. Dignity don't pay the mortgage, nor secure the future for Will and his family. Son's of Guns does. I'm sure that once he's got the time and the inclination he'll put together a video showcasing the many variations of Mauser oiler bottles for all you aficionados that will provide great appeal and hours of informative entertainment.

Niftus
August 1, 2011, 07:40 PM
I grew up in a very gun un-friedly house, and later in life as I grew up I never really got the draw of recreational shooting -pardon the pun...

But that's me... since this March, I got the bug from these shows. I've gone from having a shotgun around the house from when I lived on the other side of the tracks, that was last shot sometime late"ish" last century (a day or two after it was purchased); to acquiring :) and shooting... and reloading ...and bullet casting for, several firearms that've been kicking around my wife's family for ages collecting dust, to adding a few more new and new to me guns to the budding arsenal along the way. Now I'm a full-on dyed in the wool NRA member, range officer, wheel weight scrounger -Oh yes friends that bug bit hard.

It's fair to say that my tastes in firearms television have become more "refined" in the last six months (for those of you at home keeping score) - less Discovery channel - more Outdoor channel, but I don't think I've jumped on the bandwagon without the nudge from Mr. Hayden and company and the others.

It's definitely good PR.
My 14-year old son says, "Dad, you have to come watch this show with me!". When the kid invites me to join him in something, I am all over it. To a young teen, Dad ain't as cool as he once was.

Having not grown up in a gun family, this show definitely sparked our interest. The show was a conversation starter and lo and behold, we found friends who were into the sport who graciously invited us to hunt with them. After watching SoG for 5 minutes it becomes obvious that it's not a documentary or YouTube instructional video. The show is geared toward entertainment, and the funny thing is, around here we enjoy being entertained! And I guarantee you this: that show drew my son and I into the hobby. Did we run out and get matching AK's so we could run to the mall and tell our friends? No, but in the space of 18 months we do now have shotguns for dove, a lever gun for deer (we each got our 1st deer, and they were the 1st deer killed in at least 3 generations of our family) and most used, 22 rifles & pistol for plinking.

This is my first post @ THR. I also belong to a car club. My hobby car was made in the '50's and most of the members are all about having fun with their wheels, enjoy using them, love to maintain and improve them, etc. But there is a contingent who when they look under the hood of another's car, shake their heads sadly, noting that the firewall was painted the wrong color shade, or that the oil filter is not "correct". Nobody really hangs out with these guys. Nobody fun, anyway. Does anyone see the parable in this paragraph?

Ole Humpback
August 1, 2011, 09:58 PM
As for the show.. Most of what you learn is in job setups, the mounting fixtures and tools you see in passing on the benches. You can learn a lot, its just not spoon fed to you.

EXACTLY!!! I worked in a machine shop for the last 3yrs to have some money while I was going through college and what I've found out is that firearms, minus some of the moving parts, aren't complex at all. They really aren't complex when you've had to program a 4-axis CNC operation for a CV joint or TIG weld a titanium muffler outside of an Argon chamber. Other than maybe some OTJ learning, I'd say I have enough machining & assembly experience to be a decent entry level gunsmith. But that's not what I went to college for, but it sure was fun work to say the least.

We are talking about a show that misleads or gives faulty information, like shooting 223 at a bus and having pyros blow it up with some remote off camera,

As low on gun & explosives know how as I am, I can still tell when someone is using Tannerite or some form of impact sensitive explosive for a target. The point of the show isn't to supply a user guide to building guns, rather to hit the high points of making a firearm and selling it to the end user all the while being entertaining. In fact, they've more than once told the camera they can't film what they are doing. The Thompson build was one where they refused to show how they were machining the receiver to allow for full auto fire and with good cause because anyone who saw the machining steps and has a Dremel could take a semi-auto replica Thompson and grind it into a FA Tommy gun in his basement.

So while they aren't filling in all the blanks for you, they are getting the gun-uneducated interested firearms in a good way and that is more than any of us on here can do in an hour without TV & Google. It took me and my BIL almost a year to get my sister to safely go to the clays range with us and she was pretty much on the anti-gun side of things when we started on her. Shes now quite the gunslinger on clay pigeons. That has been my only success in getting someone interested in guns. Most people I have taken to the range out of there curiosity either find shooting boring, difficult, too painful/loud, the guns getting dirty & needing cleaning, the people at the range scare them, ect. Its an uphill battle to change views on firearms, and SoG is providing a great way to do it. Sure, some bits are cheesy, but then again I've had the exact same conversations on the show with people where ever I've worked before.

RalphS
August 2, 2011, 10:10 AM
When they blow something up and you see white smoke, it's Tannerite. You can definitely blow up a car with that stuff. It's not remote controlled. You just shoot it with a high power rifle.

You can buy it over the internet. Nothing special about it.

When they blow something up with lots of flames and black smoke, that's a gasoline bomb. That's probably a remote controlled trick.

Most of the "special effects" I've seen on the show have been Tannerite.

nosmr2
August 2, 2011, 10:20 AM
Every man has his price.

TCB in TN
August 2, 2011, 12:04 PM
Every man has his price.

You know you are right. But I have done some seriously stupid stuff in my life because my boss told me too, even when making minimum wage. Now I make better money, but I work with kids and will often act like a fool to make my point or to get their attention. Some people talk about dignity, well I haven't seen anything on SoG that I thought was degrading, in fact most of what they do shows them working, having fun, and getting paid well (far better than most of us). If that is a drag down to Will or the others dignity, then hey sign me up for some of that. I will take some undignified full auto goodness in a higher tax bracket!

browneu
August 2, 2011, 02:34 PM
There is no dignity in passing one's work as if they invented the solution when it's been done prior.

There are numerous discussions on how Will claims to be first in a market when there are previous work out there.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk

USAF_Vet
August 2, 2011, 03:24 PM
this thread has really gone Low Road.

Sheepdog1968
August 2, 2011, 03:30 PM
Personally, I'd like to see them make an affordable double rifle (ca. 2K) that can shoot 2 MOA in 30-06 or 308 for hunting in North America. That has a rear ghost ring sight. I'm sure they could start with some sort of Stoger sxs shotgun platform.

Also, I'd like to see some lever action and bolt action work. How about a lever action Marlin 336 that's been adapted to take magazines.

How about taking a Ruger Scout rifle and getting it to weight under 6.5 lbs with scope and sling attached? Also be cool to see if said Ruger Scout could be modified to feed via stripper clips.

How about making a lever action that can work with the 458 Lott cartridge?

Just some ideas for some things that woudl interest me.

I will watch the show no matter what.

X-JaVeN-X
August 2, 2011, 03:36 PM
The analogy is not really comparable. We are talking about a show that misleads or gives faulty information, like shooting 223 at a bus and having pyros blow it up with some remote off camera, your car not being original and someone not like it is not comparable to a show that is fake and giving false ideas. It would be more accurate if there was a show had car like yours and had it doing 0to 70 in 3.2 when you know it does not do that. If you like it fine but you can also watch scooby doo with your kid, but don't pass it off as a reality show. You have made the word reality not stand for its definition.
funny...I read his post and noted that he said the show was for entertainment and not an instructional video.

After watching SoG for 5 minutes it becomes obvious that it's not a documentary or YouTube instructional video. The show is geared toward entertainment, and the funny thing is, around here we enjoy being entertained!

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out the show isn't for educating. Do you watch an action movie and get pissed when the "gansta" holds his pistol sideways? Do you scream "That's not how you shoot a gun! This movie is false and confusing the public!" If so, then maybe you need a vacation and a little therapy cause you're wound a bit too tight. The show is what it is.

I did mobile electronics for years and wish I had a dollar for every time I saw a car "hot wired" in a hollywood movie and how incorrectly it's done or portrayed...but I know it's just a movie and don't think twice about it or tell people they shouldn't watch it because it's not true. "DUH" is the only thing coming to mind when I read your posts in this thread.

timhernandez
August 2, 2011, 03:37 PM
this thread has really gone Low Road.
+1 to that...

It is a sad day when people cant figure out Entertainment from Education and feel the need to cut down someone for making a living doing something he obviously loves....

hso
August 2, 2011, 03:45 PM
While edwood/blowfeld and wolflager have pushed the thread over the edge with their intentional violations of the civility/vulgarity/profanity rules the thread was helped towards the edge by others.

My appreciation and apologies to those of you that remained civil while being critical of the show and to those of you that supported it with the same spirit. You stayed on the high road while others chose to crawl along the gutter.

Be on the lookout for the misanthropes that finished the thread off and don't hesitate to hit the http://www.thehighroad.org/images/buttons/report.gif button when they crawl out from under their rocks in a new guise.

If you enjoyed reading about "sons of guns new episode" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!