Older Colt Police Positive grips

PDA

1312obx
July 27, 2011, 11:21 PM
Does anyone have information on dimensions of Colt Police Positive Grips?
I have purchased two original sets, both in excellent condition, but they do not fit my Police Positive Special, 38 cal. One set is for the first series, narrow and tall. The other set is the correct shape, but is wider and the locator pin hole is in the front of the butt. Picture attached. I am not sure it fits the Police Positive, but it was sold that way. Also the original screw has a shoulder, and the threads are a smaller diameter than the diameter of the screw. Any help on what it fits?

If you enjoyed reading about "Older Colt Police Positive grips" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Old Fuff
July 28, 2011, 01:26 AM
Some confusion here... :confused:

Do you have a .38 Colt Police Positive, chambered in .38 S&W (also known as .38 Colt New Police) or a Colt Police Positive Special that could be chambered in either .38 S&W or .38 Special? The latter is more likely.

Open the cylinder and look at the side/front of the frame where the back of the barrel sticks out. Just under it you should be able to see the serial number. Post the serial number, using xx for the last two numbers.

Then we'll go from there... ;)

The pictured stocks appear to be for a larger Colt Official Police and should be too wide at the bottom for a Police Positive/Special.

1312obx
July 28, 2011, 11:35 PM
Sorry for the confusion. It is a Colt Police Positive chambered for .38 S&W. Patents on barrel, August 5, 1884 July 4, 1905 October 5, 1926 Ser # 3918xx.

Thanks for your interest.

MMCSRET
July 29, 2011, 12:29 AM
Your gun dates to 1940, near the end of production for the PP. There is a company that makes reproduction stocks for the obsolete models, I can't remember anything about who it is. Over at coltforum.com, there is a guy that makes stocks for Colts. Register over there and ask around, he'll help you.

If you enjoyed reading about "Older Colt Police Positive grips" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!