Full Length Polymer Stock

PDA

Konstantin835
August 1, 2011, 02:54 PM
I have a Mosin Nagant 91/30 and love it. I have looked around for a replacement stock that I could just swap out and still have the option of putting the original stock back on, as to not degrade the history or value of the rifle. I have seen lots of sporter stocks that look like modern hunting rifles but I have not yet run across a full length, or "Military style" stock that goes up all the way to the muzzle like the original wooden stocks that are on most mil-surp rifles. Are there any polymer stocks like this that go all the way to the muzzle and look like the original stock or a Mannlicher style stock?

If you enjoyed reading about "Full Length Polymer Stock" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Owlnmole
August 1, 2011, 09:03 PM
I have never seen such a beast and I honestly don't really see the point. If you like the full-length stock, why not just keep the wood?

If you want a polymer stock, say for lighter weight or weather resistance, then you can certainly drop a 91/30 into a sporter-style synthetic stock, add a scope and mount and a downturned-handle bolt. The barrel looks a bit long, but that's because it is long. ;-)

For example (not mine, just Google)...

Konstantin835
August 1, 2011, 10:33 PM
Hmmm, I guess I'm the only one who thinks that would be cool. I like the durability of polymer and not having to worry about scratches or damaging the original wood stock with historical value to it. I know theres not much practicality in a full length stock over a modern "Hunting" style stock but I just think it looks really cool.

joeq
August 1, 2011, 10:50 PM
You're not the only one. A full length synthetic stock would look much better than the short synthetic stocks in my opinion. I love the original wood stock but with a full length synthetic you would have the original style and more durability. Sadly, I don't think one has ever been made.

Clipper
August 2, 2011, 08:53 AM
A full-length synthetic stock would weigh a ton...The ATI stock I used for my sporter project is much, much heavier than the original wood. Perhaps carbon fiber would be lighter, but a custom-made $$$$$$ stock would be pushing it, even for me.

Konstantin835
August 2, 2011, 09:15 AM
I wasn't thinking custom, I was just hoping that someone already made one and I just hadn't yet stumbled upon it.

MyGreenGuns
August 2, 2011, 10:40 AM
My bro bought me the ATI synth stock for my Mosin. I think it weighs about the same. It has a rubber recoil pad, which is a lot better than the steel buttplate. My biggest complaint is that the stock peels away (just a bit, in front) from the barrel after a shot or two. The ATI stock uses the factory holes (1 in top under backside of bolt, other is bottom forward of magazine). Its only 2 points and they are not spaced out very well. If it had a forward barrel band the problem would be fixed. I've heard of glues you can use to seat it permanantly, but that didnt seem right to me. I like the synth stock, I could spray it up camo, and go back to OEM whenever I feel like it. Still havent felt like it though.

This stock does NOT fully cover the barrel. It looks like the one in post #2

If you enjoyed reading about "Full Length Polymer Stock" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!