August Centerfire Match:

PDA

Maverick223
August 2, 2011, 02:49 PM
Welcome to the Centerfire Match for the month of August! This match is open to any centerfire rifle. This match is meant to be challenging and educational, but most of all FUN. Hopefully it will get you out to the range and shooting your rifle. If you have one handy, make sure an bring a friend too.

EDIT: There are (now) Two Optics Divisions:
->Iron sights and non-magnified optics and red dots. Shot at 100yds.
->Scopes and other magnified sighting devices. Shot at 100yds.

There are Two Rifle Classes:
->Unlimited/Target Rifles (highly modified rifles, rests, target sights, heavy rifles (over 10lbs), high magnification optics- over 10x [in the appropriate division] may be used). Rests/Sandbags/bipods are permitted in this class only.
->Sporting Rifles (Includes All Non-Target Class Autoloaders, Bolt Actions, Single Shots, Pumps, & Lever Rifles). Rests/sandbags/bipods are not permitted in this class, but shooting sticks (either the crossed or walking stick variety) are allowed. Use of a sling is encouraged. Shoots may be taken from any position.

100 Yd. Target: See attachment below. Considering the difficulty, and costliness of ammo, of last months endeavor I decided that it might be best to make this one a bit easier. Scale to 100% on standard 8.5x11in. paper (for best results print from Windows Photo Viewer with "fit picture to frame" deselected). The objective is simple...just fire 5 shots at the bulls. You only need to break the line to earn the indicated point value (1-25; indicated by each ring), for a maximum score of 125pts!

When you are satisfied you've done your best post/attach (or shoot me a PM) a photo or scan of your target with as much of the following information as possible: Forum name (or name you want posted in the results), Rifle, make, model, vintage (if known), Sights/Optics (with magnification if applicable), Ammo (or load, if you care to divulge your secret recipe), Position, Distance, Conditions (in/outdoors, wind, temperature...). Multiple submissions are allowed (in same or different class with same or different rifles).

Self-scoring is encouraged and appreciated. All submissions due before August 32nd. ;)

If you enjoyed reading about "August Centerfire Match:" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Tim the student
August 3, 2011, 02:04 PM
Looks like fun. I plan on going shooting this week sometime, so I'll give that a go.

How big is that bull?

Maverick223
August 3, 2011, 04:19 PM
Measured it yesterday for the Rimfire Match...the center bulls is right at .490in./12.45mm.

:)

Iramo94
August 3, 2011, 06:09 PM
I might do this one this weekend. Something tells me I'm going to get about a 75.

Tim the student
August 3, 2011, 06:39 PM
Hmmm, that is pretty tight. I'm pretty certain I won't be scoring a 125. :neener:

Any bonus for the bison?

Maverick223
August 3, 2011, 08:02 PM
Don't cut yourself short this early in the match. I expect a score of 125 PDQ...heck, there's already a 125 on the board in the rimfire match (which is at half the distance, but still pretty impressive).

Cal-gun Fan
August 3, 2011, 11:43 PM
Heck, I'll give this a try with my dad's 243!

Maverick223
August 4, 2011, 12:18 AM
Welcome, Cal-gun Fan...that should get the job done.

Just for S&Gs I think I might try the old M1-Carbine and VZ.58...and of course clean up with at least one scoped rifle. What else are you folks planning to use?

Tim the student
August 4, 2011, 12:38 AM
Eh, if you use an old carbine, I guess I'll feel obligated to pull mine out. I haven't shot it in a while anyway. I don't think I've ever shot it in the prone, so maybe I'll find out tomorrow or Friday. I'm not expecting great things to happen with it. I'll be plenty happy if I can clear 60 with it! :neener:

To actually have a shot at winning, I think I'll use my RRA or Savage 10.

Cal-gun Fan
August 4, 2011, 12:41 AM
Just read that we can submit multiple targets, thats awesome! In that case I might have to use my Mini-14 and the Garand dad and I got back in July.

I never looked at these threads before...wish I had, looks like some good fun!

prid93
August 4, 2011, 12:46 AM
I plan on shooting this on my first outing with the new (to me) K31 :-)...I'm glad to hear others going with irons.

Caddisflied
August 4, 2011, 07:44 AM
I might dust off the old 1920 Carl Gustafs swedish mauser for this one.

Maverick223
August 4, 2011, 09:50 AM
I'm not expecting great things to happen with it. I'll be plenty happy if I can clear 60 with it!Same here...but for a 68YOA carbine it does alright.

To actually have a shot at winning, I think I'll use my RRA or Savage 10.I think my M17 can pull it off, but the SRS is ready just in case. :D

Maverick223
August 4, 2011, 09:54 AM
Just read that we can submit multiple targets, thats awesome! In that case I might have to use my Mini-14 and the Garand dad and I got back in July.Absolutely! Bring out the old war dogs and whatever else you want to give a go, then feel free to clean up with a shiny new precision rifle. Anything with a buttstock firing a centerfire cartridge goes.

I never looked at these threads before...wish I had, looks like some good fun!Welcome; this is a new one but the rimfire one has been going on for ages...be sure to check it out as well.

I plan on shooting this on my first outing with the new (to me) K31 :-)...I'm glad to hear others going with irons.If all goes well and participation continues to increase we'll have to add a second division for non-magnified sighting devices like the rimfire match.

I might dust off the old 1920 Carl Gustafs swedish mauser for this one.That aught'a do it; I really didn't feel we'd have this many folks planning to use iron sighted rifles.

It's great to see such a good turn-out thus far.

Cal-gun Fan
August 4, 2011, 12:25 PM
One question-my Mini-14 has an Accustrut, a flash-hider, and a scope on it-would that be in the sporting or unlimited category? I would think sporting, but just wanted to check.

Orlando
August 4, 2011, 09:57 PM
Looks good

Maverick223
August 4, 2011, 10:40 PM
One question-my Mini-14 has an Accustrut, a flash-hider, and a scope on it-would that be in the sporting or unlimited category? I would think sporting, but just wanted to check.I don't think anyone will hold that against you, particularly with the Mini's accuracy reputation (be it deserved or not, personally I like 'em). The only caveats are that the scope must be set to a magnification of 10x or less, the rifle less than 10lbs, and shot using no rest (shooting sticks are permitted).

Sounds like there's already the makings for an irons division Mav. I wouldn't see a problem with adding it on now. It might encourage others to join in.Why not...see the red text (in the OP) for the new addition.

Looks goodThanks Orlando; I think this one might fare a bit better than last month's attempt...i'm still learnin'. ;)

Cal-gun Fan
August 5, 2011, 12:24 AM
Ok, thanks Maverick! I love my Mini. I have no illusions about its capabilities, but I think that only makes me like it more. The beauty is in the simplicity :)
The scope is a 3-9x, so I'll be good. I'll try to get down to a range sometime in the next week or two to shoot the target!

prid93
August 11, 2011, 10:56 PM
First target submission! lol
Shot this during my first outing with the new to me K31 using GP11 ammo. It was the only one of these I had for the day so I'm happy as to how it turned out. The rifle is all original (except a very very light but not light enough not to annoy me import mark on the receiver). I score it as a 106. I'm gonna give it another go tomorrow and hopefully best that score.

Attached are images of the target and rifle.

Caddisflied
August 12, 2011, 06:18 AM
GP11 = 7.5 x 55 Swiss. (I'll admit, I had to look that up!) :o
That's some good shooting there, with irons. And a real fine looking K31!
Doubt if I can match that. But I'm hoping to try sometime soon.

Maverick223
August 12, 2011, 11:33 AM
Good shooting, prid93! Thanks for getting us under way.

FullEffect1911
August 15, 2011, 08:53 AM
If it stops raining here I'll take out my Stag AR15 and give this one a go. Should be at least as fun as the rimfire match. :)

Maverick223
August 15, 2011, 10:25 AM
Right there with ya, FE1911. If I have time to head to the range it seems a T-storm is on the horizon. :banghead:

dc.fireman
August 15, 2011, 11:22 PM
Got my rifle, ammo, and targets printed out for tomorrow morning... looking to duplicate my rimfire efforts!

Maverick223
August 16, 2011, 12:48 AM
Good luck, dc.fireman!

KSCCHTrainer
August 16, 2011, 03:56 PM
I was at the indoor range working on a load for my 7.62 X 54R and took along some of the targets just in case it shot good (it didn't - 180 grain cast lead gas check bullets that someone gave me, .310 diameter, 18 grains 2400) and it would only group 3-5" at 100 yards, so no point in trying to shoot the match with that stuff. I only had 20 rounds made up so not out much on that one.

Now, comes the FUN! Guy shows up with a new Remington 700 in .17 Remington Fireball! He gets 'er sighted in and asks me if I'd like to shoot it! DUH! I quickly stapled one of the targets to what he had hanging on the carrier and ran it all the way down to the 100 yard point. He had a Nikon 10 X 40 scope on it which gave a really nice clear image of the target, but even at 10 power the 1/2" bull was almost covered by the crosshairs. I hit him up for 5 rounds and shot a 123 - 3X with it. Oh yeah, ammo was factory Remington, 20 grain bullet pushing 4000 FPS according to info on the box!

Entering the target in the Unlimited class as I shot it off both front and rear sandbags. Dang! I want one of those things but don't have enough money in the kitty. I think he had about $700 in the rifle and not sure what that Nikon scope & rings cost him. Maybe wifey will get me one for Christmas (HAH!).

Jim

Maverick223
August 16, 2011, 05:36 PM
Good shootin', KSCCHTrainer!

dc.fireman
August 16, 2011, 09:04 PM
Sooo... I was actually at the range early this morning, with 6 of these in hand to shoot... I ended up shooting a 117, 117-1X, 118-1X, 119 1-X, and finally, a 120. And about 10 minutes after I was done breaking my arm from patting myself on the back, I get KSSCHTrainers update, of his 123-3X... crikey... Nice shootin' Tex!

I going to have to step it up a little... the two new things I learned today:

1. My hearing protection (Howard Leight/Sperian) has a headphone jack - turn them on, plug into the iPod, dial up "Rush - Farewell to Kings CD", and drift off into shooting zen...

2. I found my magic load for this rifle, after I'd shot up all of my 6 targets :banghead: - it's a 68gr. Hornady BTHP, over 23.7 AA2460, in a Remington-Peters pre-primed case - a load I'd just about given up on with my AR-15, and my Steyr Scout... who knew?

I'd already worked towards sighting my rifle in for 200 yards zero; and decided to go with some Kentucky windage for the match - next time I'll re-adjust my zero, and bring more targets. I guess I can call this rifle officially broken-in now, but it still needs a little fine tuning - for a bone stock rifle though, it's definitely minute of groundhog.

So, here's the lowdown:

Sunny, 80 degrees, approx. 35% humidity, breezy - winds at my back/ right shoulder around 5mph, gusting to 10mph on occasion. Distance is 101 yds, per the range finder (range is marked 100, and shot as such).

Savage Model 12 VLP .223 Rem. 1 in 7" RH twist Heavy Fluted Barrel, factory Accu-Trigger (no adjustments made yet).
Leupold 6.5-20x40 VH reticle
Harris Bi-pod

Here's my 120:

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j246/dcfireman/AugCFMatch1.jpg

I figure I've got til the 32nd to tighten it up... ;)

KSCCHTrainer
August 16, 2011, 09:24 PM
Hey dc.fireman, that was almost total luck on my part. Did it with a borrowed rifle, off sandbags, indoors with no wind.

Tell you what though, I gotta get me one of those Remington 700's in .17 Fireball. Found out tonight that WalMart actually will order them!!!! WOOOT! Now all I gotta do is convince the wife that WE need one! She likes shooting high powered rifles, but if they don't kick like a mule, she doesn't want to shoot it. So far her favorite has been a Remington 700BDL in .458 Win Mag. The only one she didn't like was a buddy's 45-110 "Quigley Down Under" rifle. It's even uncomfortable for me to shoot so I can see where she's coming from. Worst thing I ever shot was an old Greener double rifle in 600 Nitro Express with a steel butt plate. Touched that one off and the whole dang world took a break for a couple of seconds! Shoulder was black and blue for a couple weeks!

I'm actually looking at getting a left handed Savage "Tactical" (don't remember the model number off hand) in .308 with the 20" heavy barrel. I'll probably re-stock it with a Choate and put a 10 X 40 side focus of some sort on it.

Maverick223
August 16, 2011, 10:23 PM
My hearing protection (Howard Leight/Sperian) has a headphone jack - turn them on, plug into the iPod, dial up "Rush - Farewell to Kings CD", and drift off into shooting zen...I positively love my pair, but I honestly haven't used the headphone jack...might have to give that a try on the next outing.

I figure I've got til the 32nd to tighten it up...Nope, then you'll be a day late. :uhoh: You may not take the top spot, but you did well nonetheless.

Racinready300ex
August 17, 2011, 06:40 AM
I should have shot this over the weekend and forgot. I shot a 100 yard IBS match with my savage 308. When it was done I had 15 shots left. But I wasted them on a practice target. And I had some of these targets in my car.

I need to due some load dev. with that gun before next month. Maybe I'll remember this target is in my car.:banghead:

Maverick223
August 18, 2011, 12:45 AM
A couple thoughts that I would like some input on as we move forward. In the future should we...:

1. Keep the iron sight div.?
2. Make irons a 50yd. standard distance (whilst keeping 100 for magnified sights)?
3. Exclude benchrest type rifles (not to include general target/practical shooting style rifles, this would only forbid uber heavy rail guns and the like)?

Any other suggestions or comments are welcome also.

FullEffect1911
August 18, 2011, 09:50 AM
1. Keep the iron sight div.?
2. Make irons a 50yd. standard distance (whilst keeping 100 for magnified sights)?
3. Exclude benchrest type rifles (not to include general target/practical shooting style rifles, this would only forbid uber heavy rail guns and the like)?

I think you should keep the iron sight div. It gives a place for AR15 owners with red dots to compete. In a pure accuracy match unmagnified cannot compete fairly against magnified scopes.

50yd vs 100yd doesn't really matter, depends on if people are willing to accept lower scores.

I like the idea of having two divisions; unmagnified and magnified, that will be shot from the users choice of positions unsupported. Disallow shooting aids like jackets and rests and super trick rifles. I must say I am biased though, I never liked the idea of equipment races for any kind of competition.

Having just two divisions keeps it simple.

I also wouldn't mind for a pistol caliber carbine match, but this might be a bit to specialized. Though I think it could at least be competitive at 50 yards in the unmagnified class.

Maverick223
August 18, 2011, 10:09 AM
Thank you, FullEffect1911, for the insightful input. I think I'll keep non-magnified and change the distance to 50 (next match) to even things up a bit for pistol/PDW caliber carbines (whilst keeping it simple, devoid of superfluous divisions designated for each particular class/type of rifle).

dc.fireman
August 18, 2011, 12:08 PM
Maverick - I'd like to see it stay just about the same - in other words, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I think the simple classes - magnified, and unmagnified are great. I was contemplating shooting the simple iron sights targets early next week in the centerfire match myself.

I'm totally in agreement with Jeff56 - the one thing I've noticed with my shooting, is that I'm getting trigger time, learning from my mistakes, and improving my shooting dramatically over the last few days, just by printing these targets, and going to the range every other day, just for the internet 'bragging rights' alone. This is in turn, getting me out to the range more often, and my shooting technique is improving, go figure.

Maybe a carbine & lever action class could be added? something like "lever actions .30 caliber & larger, and levers .29 and smaller? Would maybe get some of the black powder/cowboy action guys interested?

Those are just my $0.02 - but I'm having a lot of fun shooting the different matches, just the way they are.

prid93
August 18, 2011, 12:38 PM
I agree with all of what dc. and Fulleffect have said. I'm up for keeping the ironsight targets at 100 yds...even if they do get a little more challenging.
My diopter sights for the new K31 just came in, so I'm itching to get back out and see what I can do ;)

Caddisflied
August 18, 2011, 01:02 PM
I can see how it could get complicated trying to limit the number of divisions in an all-inclusive match.
The possibilities are endless.

It doesn't matter to me how you set it up Maverick,
I'll find something to punch holes with in some division.
In any shooting match, you're really just competing with yourself anyway,
trying to shoot better than you did last week, with whatever rifle you happen to have.

I'd kind of like to see what a railgun can do!! :D

Maverick223
August 18, 2011, 01:44 PM
Thanks for the input guys, barring any great concerns I'll leave things be. FWIW, I'd like to stretch out the match to 200-250yds. (in one or both divisions) every once in a while (possibly once in the spring?)...does everyone have access to a range that accommodates the added distance?

Caddisflied
August 18, 2011, 03:37 PM
I think that's a great idea!
That might be what it will take to get the varmint rifles involved?
I'm limited to 190yds locally, but I'd like to see what kind of groups people are getting at that range, (or longer)!!!

dc.fireman
August 18, 2011, 03:40 PM
I can go as long as 300 yards, and 200 meters (separate ranges) - and I'm definitley all for extending these out to further ranges...

I'll simply work on shooting them from whatever the appropriate range is specified in the match.

The tricky thing is going to be having you upload it, and us printing it out to the proper length/width/height...

Orlando
August 18, 2011, 04:41 PM
Im hitting the range tomorrow to shoot in this months match. Will post pics, no matter how bad the group:o

Caddisflied
August 18, 2011, 06:59 PM
At 200 yards, I'd only have to print off one target a month. I could shoot at it all month long
without messing it up with bullet holes!

Maverick223
August 18, 2011, 10:23 PM
At 200 yards, I'd only have to print off one target a month. I could shoot at it all month long without messing it up with bullet holes!Hehehe. http://forums.nitroexpress.com/images/graemlins/smilies/general/animal.gif

I think we'll give 200yds. a try then. Personally I like the idea, but I have a fairly long range and I realize some other folks are limited to shorter ranges.

KSCCHTrainer
August 19, 2011, 08:26 AM
Only range that I have anywhere near me with distances beyond 100 yards is owned by a club. Their initiation fee of $600 is beyond my budget, and besides they have a very limited membership. You have to wait until a member either dies or quits to even be able to be considered for membership and the waiting list is pretty long.

Maverick223
August 19, 2011, 11:49 AM
KSCCHTrainer, that's what I was afraid of. From my experience with the rimfire match I thought there were a few folks limited to 100 or thereabouts. Unless there are a great deal more problems with the range I think we'll proceed as planned, but only do so once a year or so and keep the irons div. at 100.

P.S.: Never thought long ranges would be a problem in the wide open state of KS.

KSCCHTrainer
August 19, 2011, 02:19 PM
Jeff,
The major problem with KS and gun ranges is the bible thumpers! Many of the fundamentalist types are so anti-gun that they'll do everything in their power to try to get any and all gun ranges closed whenever possible.

In any of the counties around me, if you try to open a new gun range, it's gonna cost you at least a couple million and 4 or 5 years worth of litigation before even getting to start construction and that's assuming you win the litigation!

The existing ones have to be on their toes just to stay in business. Dang near getting as bad as the kingdom of mexifornia!

You are right about the wind as well. I do have a friend that clandestinely built a one lane 100 yard range surrounded by 25' high berms (looks like one of those feed storage ground silo's) on his property and since I helped him build it, he lets me shoot on it sometimes. I'd love to take a picture and post it here, but he has quite a bit of security set up and he doesn't want pix of that to get out as he's tired of getting stock trailers and other farm equipment stolen.

Tim the student
August 19, 2011, 02:31 PM
FWIW, I'd like to stretch out the match to 200-250yds. (in one or both divisions) every once in a while (possibly once in the spring?)...does everyone have access to a range that accommodates the added distance?

I do, not my favorite range, but I could stomach it I suppose :neener:.

I should be able to get out and shoot this weekend for this match. Looking forward to it.

KSCCHTrainer
August 19, 2011, 03:23 PM
Sorry if I offended you with that term Jeff, but like where you live, most of the shooters around here (including myself) are also Christians.

I was referring mostly to those hypocritical types that loudly proclaim their faith while carrying on adulterous affairs or frequenting prostitutes and other sordid things on days of the week other than Sunday and it really isn't just a "Kansas" thing.

Ok, I'm off my soap box and since my religious beliefs are really between God and I anyway, I've said all I am going to say on the subject.

Please accept my apology.

Jim

Orlando
August 19, 2011, 03:26 PM
100yds Unlimited/Target Rifle division
scoped 14 power Simmons
Armalite M15 Varminter
223, 75gr Hornady Match ammo
Front rest, rear bag, bench
85 degress 3-5 mph wind
I'll let you score this Mav
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f197/Garandlover/Shooting%20pics/Picture350.jpg

prid93
August 19, 2011, 05:53 PM
Got back out again today...first time trying out the Swiss Products diopter sights.

5 shots, 100 yds
Unmodified Swiss K31 with Swiss Products diopter sights
Front bag rest
GP11 ammunition

I score it as a 115. I screwed up that shot that's in the 21 ring above the rest and got lucky that I pulled the fifth shot into the bullseye. The three shots that are touching were the first three of the group...but then I looked through the spotter scope and saw them and got too excited and my routine went away :banghead:.

Still relatively new with the rifle, but she definitely seems to be able to hold sub inch groups if I do my part. Also, sorry I couldn't scan the target...I hope the photo suffices.

Orlando
August 19, 2011, 06:00 PM
Those Swiss K31 rifles are amazingly accurate, nice job

crazysccrmd
August 19, 2011, 06:09 PM
If I can get to a range before the end of the month I want to try out my Argentine 1891 engineers carbine out. Will be shooting Hornady 150g SP so we'll see what happens. I only have 12 rds of it left so not much to practice with first.

Maverick223
August 19, 2011, 06:45 PM
Great shooting, Orlando. I'd be pretty confident in calling that a 123.

Looks like you're closing in, prid93. Outstanding three shot clover! Photos are just fine; personally I find it easier than scanning so I do the same.

Good luck, crazysccrmd. 12rnds is cutting it close, but as long as you're already pretty well sighted in I think you can pull it off.

kis2
August 20, 2011, 03:24 PM
because my bolt isn't back yet and I promised I would, here's an entry :)

This is my AR, with silver bear ammo, aimpoint (nonmag), from the seated position with no sling... 60 points? And yes, there's only four holes there :o

Next time I'll have to drop to prone with a sling and give it a try.

Good competition! Looking forward to trying it from the bolt

Maverick223
August 20, 2011, 03:31 PM
Thanks for joining in, kis2. I don't think the position is as much of an issue as ammo quality. Try some Win., Fed, or similar and I think you'll see a marked improvement.

kis2
August 20, 2011, 03:41 PM
wilco Mav. in fairness to silver bear though, I wasn't at my best here, I don't practice seated that often.

dc.fireman
August 20, 2011, 06:14 PM
How about some age divisions for the next match?

Maverick223
August 20, 2011, 06:31 PM
How about some age divisions for the next match?Rifles or riflemen? :uhoh:

prid93
August 20, 2011, 06:45 PM
Thank you for the kind words Orlando, Maverick, and Jeff. I love shooting with irons, and I'm young and my eyes aren't too bad, so I'm lucky enough to be able to do so.
I'm hoping to get one more attempt on this target in, hopefully some of the handloads worked up will work well.
Unfortunately (for shooting reasons) I go back to school In a week which will severely limit my ability to participate in matches, but even if I cant participate I'll be following along.

Caddisflied
August 20, 2011, 06:49 PM
Could add age, to age of rifle, divide by two then add your score to the sum?? :confused: :D
People are shooting the heck out of this target!! Great shooting, guys!

Funny thing happened at the range today.
When I arrived, there was a Whitetail doe standing about halfway out to the 100 yard berm.
I went in and mentioned it to the crew in the clubhouse, who were getting ready to use the range for a pistol match,
The doe stayed right there for about 5 minutes while we stood around talking.
Finally it ran off so I could shoot. It probably had a fawn close by somewhere?

This is the first group I've shot with this old 96 in over a dozen years.
My eyesight has gotten worse since then.
I just shot from the bench since others were getting ready to use the range.
But I plan to get back out again soon.

Shot this 116 at 100 yards, with the original iron sights.
Factory Remington Core-lokt 140's
I need to stop procrastinating and do some handloading for this rifle.
It had a scope on it when I first got it, many years ago, but I took it off..
The receiver is not drilled for scope mounts, but it had some mounts that clamped on over the receiver.
They were bulky and heavy, not an ideal set-up for hunting, but it shot quite well.
Sometime I'm going to put the mounts back on and see what it will do with a decent scope and good handloads

Caddisflied
August 20, 2011, 06:59 PM
I guess you posted while I was typing, prid93.
Hope you can still find time to shoot!!!

Maverick223
August 20, 2011, 07:05 PM
Caddisflied, I'd hate to see what you could do with better eyesight; great shooting.

dc.fireman
August 20, 2011, 07:11 PM
I was thinking age of the rifleman, as in Jr.'s, 18-?? 65 & over, etc.

Nice shooting, Orlando!

Caddisflied
August 20, 2011, 07:11 PM
Thanks Mav!
Luckily, the 96 has a long enough barrel so I can see the front sight okay.
Can't see anything close up without reading glasses, and I usually can't find them! :)

Maverick223
August 20, 2011, 08:09 PM
I was thinking age of the rifleman, as in Jr.'s, 18-?? 65 & over, etc.I don't know how many folks will want to divulge their age (even when it's only broken down to "younguns", "middle-aged", and "olde pharts"), but it wouldn't hurt to add it to the "equipment list" particularly if shooting in the irons div. (where age would seemingly play a bigger factor). That said, I believe we have enough categories, to break it down further would mean even less competition within each respective group.

Can't see anything close up without reading glasses, and I usually can't find them!Does that mean you need one pair of glasses to find the other? :p

Caddisflied
August 20, 2011, 08:47 PM
Does that mean you need one pair of glasses to find the other?

Yes! :D
Either that, or a scope on my rifle!

Maverick223
August 20, 2011, 11:28 PM
Don't feel bad, my eyes aren't nearly as good as they used to be either. I use optics most of the time to compensate for my deficiency in that area and envy the folks that don't need 'em (and given your score I'd say you fall into that category).

Texas4x4hoe
August 20, 2011, 11:50 PM
Here's my entry. It's not the best score but I was proud of the group sizes. I was actually aiming at an orange stick on dot about 1-1/2" under the bull as im zeroed at 300. Any way the low down, I'm shooting a Kimber 84M in 22-250 w/26" stainless fluted barrel and an 8.5-25x50 Mueller fine illum. dot scope.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/outlanderman_06/IMG_1463.jpg

Here's my first go at it.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/outlanderman_06/Targets/IMG_1531.jpg

Then I shot this group if only it were a little more left and if I hadn't flinched on #4

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/outlanderman_06/Targets/IMG_1532.jpg

Maverick223
August 21, 2011, 01:25 AM
It's not the best score but I was proud of the group sizes.As well you should be. Good shooting, Texas4x4hoe.

prid93
August 21, 2011, 02:36 AM
Great target Caddisfield! From the looks of that, I would have to agree with Maverick in that you can proficiently use those irons!

I hope that I can continue to shoot frequently. It all depends on how often mom and dad pass close by to my school (which is relatively often for various reasons.) I hate being separated from my rifles! :p

Those are some impressive groups Texas.

Caddisflied
August 21, 2011, 08:38 AM
I was actually aiming at an orange stick on dot about 1-1/2" under the bull
Great shootin' Texas4x4hoe!
To shoot my 96 mauser at 100 yards, I have to place one target 8" over the other and shoot at the lower one.
That's with the elevation adjustment on it's lowest setting!

Orlando
August 21, 2011, 09:30 AM
Very well done Texas4x4hoe

Caddisflied
August 23, 2011, 04:48 AM
Has anyone shot non-magnified, sporting class yet,
or is that class still wide open for anyone able to hit that target unsupported at 100?
BTW Thanks for the encouraging words Maverick and prid93.

Maverick223
August 23, 2011, 11:21 AM
Unless prid93's first attempt was unsupported, I believe it's wide open, Caddisflied.

Caddisflied
August 23, 2011, 01:07 PM
Ok, thanks Maverick.

prid93
August 23, 2011, 03:36 PM
Nope...first attempt was with a front bag as well.

If I were to lay prone and use a sling would that put me in sporting?

kis2
August 23, 2011, 05:42 PM
does my AR not fall into non magnified sporting? or perhaps it was sitting?

Maverick223
August 23, 2011, 05:44 PM
Yep, prone is fine as long as a rest or bipod isn't used, however your new diopter sights will still put you in the target class (stock irons are good to go). Shooting sticks (crossed or walking-stick style) are permitted as well.

does my AR not fall into non magnified sporting? or perhaps it was sitting?Oops, you're absolutely right. My apologies for leaving you out. :o

kis2
August 23, 2011, 05:47 PM
*raises arms in tiny victory*

I think I'm about to lose to Caddisflied though :)

prid93
August 23, 2011, 06:47 PM
Ahh...well then I guess I'll just shoot it prone anyway for fun :).

Caddisflied
August 26, 2011, 05:55 AM
It doesn't look like I'm going to get back to the centerfire range again until next month.
I doubt if I could top your score anyway kis2. Well done!
Shooting irons, without a rest is not easy.

Orlando
August 28, 2011, 06:11 PM
Made it out again for one more try
100yds Unlimited/Target Rifle division
scoped 14 power Simmons
Armalite M15 Varminter
223, 75gr Hornady Match ammo
Front rest, rear bag, bench
79 degress 5-8 mph wind
I'll let you score this Mav
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f197/Garandlover/Shooting%20pics/Picture353.jpg

Maverick223
August 28, 2011, 09:29 PM
I'm with Jeff, no question about that score. Good show, Orlando!

Tim the student
August 28, 2011, 10:28 PM
Not sure why the targets are oriented differently. I guess one is probably the correct size, and one isn't.

Ok, here is my promised entry with my M1 Carbine (rack grade) for sporting class iron sights. I didn't break 60 like I said. Shot prone, no sling. The last shot was just below the bottom one (off the paper). Woulda been chest hits at least I guess. Score is a whopping 51.

http://i698.photobucket.com/albums/vv344/timthestudent/d12b5742.jpg?t=1314581925

Here is my entry for the target rifle with glass class. RRA Varmint EOP. Shot with some handloads I had sitting around (50g Varmint Grenades and RL10X). I had just adjusted my scope for this ammo, and it looks like it actually took a group to settle in. Never noticed it before today. Good to know I guess. (I shot the buffalo at the bottom after shooting for score, and was all closer to POA.) Oh well, it is what it is. Score is 118 as I have it.

http://i698.photobucket.com/albums/vv344/timthestudent/eb212d52.jpg?t=1314581913

Maverick223
August 29, 2011, 12:50 AM
Not sure why the targets are oriented differently. I guess one is probably the correct size, and one isn't. I think the photo is just oriented differently; both look correctly scaled to me.

Tim the student
August 29, 2011, 12:58 AM
I think the photo is just oriented differently; both look correctly scaled to me.

Jeez, you're right. :p

Must need some sleep.

Andrew Wyatt
August 29, 2011, 01:07 PM
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-Wx_LCS2VdE4/Tlkzy71Db3I/AAAAAAAAA2M/cf-Op9katkk/s640/2011-08-27_10-46-44_652.jpg

Optics, Target/Unlimited.
Score: 102
Rifle: Remington 700 Left hand with LTR barrel
Scope: Leupold VX-II 3-9 (9X)
Ammunition: Winchester 150 Grain Power Point

I'm disappointed with the groups i shot. I know this rifle is capable of shooting a perfect score. I just need to do better.

Maverick223
August 29, 2011, 09:09 PM
I figured I better go ahead and post my results today as I am heading out of town tomorrow afternoon (forgive me if the results and new match are a day late). I shot two in the sporting/non-magnified division and one in the target/optics (I used a rest). Here's the best of the bunch:

http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu141/Maverick223_album/IMG_6225.jpg
Don't quite know what I did to achieve that group with the M1 Carbine, but I do believe that is my best group with irons since I was a kid! Needless to say, I'm quite proud of this one.

http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu141/Maverick223_album/IMG_6226.jpg
The VZ.58 did pretty well with those Hornady V-Max bullets, but I just couldn't quite match the performance of the M1 due to sight limitations (my eyesight limiting what I can achieve with those boogers attached to the receiver). Got lucky and nailed one in in the 25-ring which really helped boost the score.

http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu141/Maverick223_album/IMG_6227.jpg
Pretty much as per normal with this one; not particularly satisfied with the results, but not too bad for a repeater I don't suppose. Oh, and yeah, that's just 5 holes, the paper just tore funny making it appear to have an additional one (or three :uhoh:). I hope to have a chance to drag out the SRS next time around, that should help me to color in the lines a bit better. ;)

Orlando
August 30, 2011, 07:43 AM
Nice job Mav, none of my carbines ever shot that well

Maverick223
August 30, 2011, 04:18 PM
Thanks guys, it took a bunch of not so great targets to achieve that result, but it does shoot pretty well on average, particularly now that I don't have to sight it in every time (recently found that the staking on the sight was loose). The (original to rifle) Buffalo Arms bbl looks near perfect, must have been one of those carbines that "wouldn't penetrate winter coats" and was traded for a Garand (without being fired) when it was issued in 1943. :D

So I guess we'll have to wait until the 33rd this time, right?You got it! ;)

Orlando
August 31, 2011, 07:15 AM
Thats actually darn good for Amercian Eagle!

Caddisflied
August 31, 2011, 07:32 AM
Not too shabby at all.
Great shooting, guys!
Nice group, with that Carbine, Maverick.

prid93
August 31, 2011, 02:08 PM
This months contest turned out great. Some of the shooting done by everyone is just fantastic.

Mom and Dad are coming up for labor day weekend, so I get to shoot at least one entry for next months match. Hopefully I'll get out at least once every month so I can continue to take part in these matches as they really are great.

Tim the student
August 31, 2011, 02:11 PM
Nice group, with that Carbine, Maverick.

Yeah, no kidding. Great shooting Maverick.

dc.fireman
September 1, 2011, 10:37 PM
Great shooting by everyone this month! Congrats to the winners!

kis2
September 1, 2011, 11:14 PM
excellent showing this time around, nice work everyone.

looking forward to next months!

Maverick223
September 2, 2011, 04:22 PM
Magnified Division - Target Class:
1st: Orlando - 124
2nd: Tie: KSSCHTrainer & Maverick223 - 123
3rd: Jeff56 - 121
Honorable Mentions: dc.fireman (120), Tim the student (118), Texas4x4hoe (116), & Andrew Wyatt (102).

Magnified Division - Sporting Class:
1st: N/A

Non-Magnified Division - Target Class:
1st: Caddisflied 116
2nd: prid93 - 115
3rd: N/A

Non-Magnified Division - Sporting Class:
1st: Maverick223 - 107
2nd: prid93 - 106
3rd: kis2- 60
Honorable Mentions: Tim the student (51)

Please let me know if I got something wrong or left something out.

Great shooting guys! I hope to have next month's match running by this afternoon. I apologize for the delay. :o

prid93
September 2, 2011, 05:02 PM
If I do remember correctly, Caddisflied shot his 116 using irons...which would put him a point above me in the target class (providing he used a rest.)

If I am wrong I apologize.

If I am not, all I can say is...I'm gunnin for ya this month Caddisflied :D

Tim the student
September 2, 2011, 06:04 PM
I'm going to shoot the sporting class magnified division next month- maybe I can win by default! :neener:

Maverick223
September 2, 2011, 06:29 PM
Hehehe, that sounds like a plan, Tim.

Here (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=7555291) is a link to the new match, with custom target courtesy of Gregaw.

Caddisflied
September 3, 2011, 04:55 AM
Yes. That's correct 93'.
Thanks for pointing that out.
I shot with iron sights from the bench with sandbags,
but no need to bother making the correction Mav.
I'm looking forward to the next round! Good luck competitors! :D

Maverick223
September 3, 2011, 11:56 AM
no need to bother making the correction Mav.Bull, you shot well and deserve the credit for it. Correction made; I apologize for the delay, I somehow missed prid93's post about the error.

Caddisflied
September 3, 2011, 04:03 PM
Thanks Mav. You didn't have to do that, but thanks.
Can't wait to try the snazzy new target that Gregaw came up with!
Very innovative!

If you enjoyed reading about "August Centerfire Match:" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!