Value of a 27-1

PDA

pittspilot
August 2, 2011, 10:39 PM
Been on the lookout for a 27 to add to my Smith collection and have run across a 27-1. Its a 4 inch.

Bluing is in 97% shape. No box. Not original grips. Mechanically seems very good with little apparent use. But.

The under lug is not flush with the frame where the under lug joins with the crane. The gap is maybe 1/16th. I have never noticed this in any of Smith that I have inspected, and I have a suspicion that this gun may have been rebarreled.

Seller is looking for between $800-900 for the gun which seems steep for this type of specimen.

I would really appreciate some input.

Thanks,

If you enjoyed reading about "Value of a 27-1" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
forindooruseonly
August 3, 2011, 12:44 AM
I'd run away. I've seen gaps between the under lug and the frame, but it has always been less that a paper width - just a tiny sliver if the light is right. Somethings fishy if that much is showing I think. Combine that with unoriginal grip and the desirability of that gun is fading fast.

He's looking for premium money, but doesn't have a premium gun. Chances are he knows it, too. Around here, that would be a 500 dollar or less shooter maybe. Seriously, I've seen good ones go on national auction sites for less that that.

pittspilot
August 3, 2011, 12:54 AM
Yeah, I hear you. If it was not a 27-1 I would be gone.

If you enjoyed reading about "Value of a 27-1" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!