A non Colt followed me home

PDA

Guillermo
August 3, 2011, 09:11 PM
I have been wanting a good quality .22 revolver and a shooter grade K22 was being ignored on GunBroker. (was looking for an Officer's Target or Match)

Well I hated to see the old girl go homeless and live under a bridge so 315 bucks later she sits on my desk. (290 gun,15 s&h, 10FFL)

Great trigger.

But this is one FILTHY gun.

After the sun sets and the temp plummets to 95 I am going to head to the garage and break it down. Can't wait to see what she looks like under the grime.

I can't WAIT to get to the range.

http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt82/BillLoeb/K22-1.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "A non Colt followed me home" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
alrutzz
August 3, 2011, 09:18 PM
Jeeze that stainless sure is dirty!

Ever heard of choreboy? :neener:

22-rimfire
August 3, 2011, 10:23 PM
Great shooter. You still need to find that Colt. The pressure is off however.

Iggy
August 3, 2011, 10:24 PM
You get that thing cleaned and take it to the range and you are gonna find out why most of them are selling for twice what you paid for yours.

You grand kids will also get to enjoy that one years and years from now.

Guillermo
August 4, 2011, 12:16 AM
most of them are selling for twice what you paid for yours

this was a good deal...but not a killer deal.

The old girl is not a showpiece but a shooter.

Maia007
August 4, 2011, 12:21 AM
What? Not a Colt?

The Horror......

Guillermo
August 4, 2011, 01:42 AM
The Horror

I know...I am fairly embarrassed

(head in hands)

pikid89
August 4, 2011, 01:49 AM
i can help you past your embarrassment, just send that thing my way, hold on, lemme dig up the FFL's info

Guillermo
August 4, 2011, 02:24 AM
pikid,

That is a truly gracious offer.

But the pain of my embarrassment should be mine to bear.

We all must learn from our mistakes

oldfool
August 4, 2011, 03:25 AM
I guess you know that somewhere there is a homeless "yearling", unwashed, unfed and unloved, living under a bridge somewhere....

but welcome to the k-22 club (if it's your first) !

Guillermo
August 4, 2011, 10:18 AM
welcome to the k-22 club

thank you OldFool.

It is my first.

I think it is defective or someone modified it. Damned cylinder turns the wrong way.

As to the yearling...the MIM, tattooed, crush-fitted, pierced, IL, two-piece barreled, rap listening guns deserve to live under bridges.

ColtPythonElite
August 4, 2011, 12:53 PM
Congrats. Buy a few more like it....I'd like to see you run your gun money down low to eliminate some of the competition when that cherry .22 DB pops up on GB....LOL.

Old Fuff
August 4, 2011, 12:57 PM
Well you've done it again....

Why is it that you always mess up? :banghead:

If you had to buy a Smith & Wesson, and a K-22 Masterpiece at that...

Why did you buy an early 5-screw version that doesn't have any of the later cost-cutting "improvements?" :D

Guillermo
August 4, 2011, 01:00 PM
I'd like to see you run your gun money down low to eliminate some of the competition when that cherry .22 DB pops up on GB

Actually I don't think we are competition.

I see no need to buy a pristine gun when I am going to use it and the finish will wear. Let the previous owner pay for the hungriness of the holster.

Also...you need to go to some of the less popular gun auction sites where there is less competition :evil:

Guillermo
August 4, 2011, 01:05 PM
Why is it that you always mess up?

Sorry Old Fuff :(

I failed you again :banghead:

This one is from 1952 so it is really old!!!

Should I sell it and buy a new S&W "Classic Model 17 with an MSRP of only $959.00? Then I can get all of the improvements. :barf:

Old Fuff
August 4, 2011, 01:09 PM
Should I sell it and buy a new S&W "Classic Model 17 with an MSRP of only $959.00? Then I can get all of the improvements

Of course you should! Don't you know that newer is always better? :evil:

Guillermo
August 4, 2011, 01:11 PM
Don't you know that newer is always better?

I forgot that uncle Fuff.

But how come you never buy new guns? :eek:

Guillermo
August 4, 2011, 01:12 PM
I still don't know why they made the cylinder turn the wrong way on this old gun.

Must be a manufacturing defect. A dyslexic guy assembled it.

Walkalong
August 4, 2011, 01:15 PM
Very nice. Dirty yes, but looks great. It will clean up great I bet. S&W's need good homes too. :)

Old Fuff
August 4, 2011, 01:16 PM
But how come you never buy new guns?

Unfortunately it's because of a personal failing...

No knowledge or experience - a case of total ignorence. :uhoh:

Guillermo
August 4, 2011, 01:25 PM
No knowledge or experience

I can tell...especially since you don'e have an explanation for this bass-akwards cylinder movement

Old Fuff
August 4, 2011, 03:38 PM
I can tell...especially since you don'e have an explanation for this bass-akwards cylinder movement

Sure I do, but expertise like mine is rare... :scrutiny:

Anyway, some previous owner assembled the gun wrong. Open her up, take out the trigger assembly, and move the hand to the other side... :uhoh:

Put everything back together, and if the side plate won't go on, get a hammer. :what: :evil: ;)

Standing Wolf
August 4, 2011, 04:32 PM
You get that thing cleaned and take it to the range and you are gonna find out why most of them are selling for twice what you paid for yours.

You beat me to it, Iggy.

I had to admit this, since I've been a Colt revolver guy for years, but my 1951 pre-K 22's trigger is every bit as good as my Diamondback's. It took me twenty years to replace the K 22 I foolishly sold for a good price.

Old Fuff
August 4, 2011, 08:49 PM
THIS IS A THREAD-JACK!!!

Guillermo

I have desided to get rid of you once and for all... enough is enough!! :cuss:

Therefore I presume that giving you a heart attack would get the job done. :evil:

So I want you to go to the following thread:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=604202

And look at the picture in post #34.... :D

(If this doesn't work you can also look at the earlier pictures of Smith & Wesson's.) ;)

ColtPythonElite
August 4, 2011, 08:54 PM
Actually I don't think we are competition.

I see no need to buy a pristine gun when I am going to use it and the finish will wear.

Me, either...I want a DB .22 to shoot, not collect dust.

Walkalong
August 4, 2011, 08:59 PM
look at the picture in post #34..Holy cow! *drool*

montanaoffroader
August 4, 2011, 09:21 PM
And look at the picture in post #34....

Holy Cow! :what:

Let me at 'em!

Old Fuff
August 4, 2011, 09:28 PM
Now, now, don't get excited.. Calm yourself. :)

'Cuz I saw them first. :uhoh: :evil: :evil: :evil:

jad0110
August 4, 2011, 09:39 PM
My God man, what a terrible eff up! You really screwed up this time, it doesn't even have any plastic on it!!! Geez!

:p

Guillermo
August 4, 2011, 09:45 PM
Uncle Fuffster

You are a mean mean man

montanaoffroader
August 4, 2011, 11:02 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What he said! :cuss:

Guillermo
August 5, 2011, 02:17 AM
Hey Fuff!!!

Turn about is fair play

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=244936667

Take that!!!!

CajunBass
August 5, 2011, 07:40 AM
Man, that is good of you to step-up and take care of that old girl like that. More people need to be willing to cross barriers the way you did.

Why not too long ago, I did the same thing and bought home this old pony that was tossed aside and just gathering dust, stuck in there amongst the Glocks and Sigs and who knows what all kind of stuff. Poor thing.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b292/CajunBass/handguns/100_0266.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b292/CajunBass/handguns/100_0268.jpg

No real gun should have to endure that. ;)

jad0110
August 5, 2011, 10:51 PM
^^^ Yeah, but the cylinder turns the wrong way on those ;) !

Seriously though, both of you made nice finds.

Guillermo
August 5, 2011, 11:05 PM
there are a lot of nice buys out there right now.

Especially the stuff that is not "so tactical it hurts" like old long barreled revolvers.

And...of course...everyone knows the answer to WWJC ("C" stands for "carry").

A long barreled target Colt :)

Old Fuff
August 6, 2011, 01:23 AM
Prior to the early 1960's and going back to at least the early 1900's it was not unusual to find Colt & Smith & Wesson target revolvers with 6" barrels being used as carry guns - sometimes concealed at that. What killed the practice was automobiles, which made it difficult and unconfortable to sit with the longer 5 and 6 inch lengths. :(

oldfool
August 6, 2011, 11:31 AM
yo, enough idle chatter, G....

so where is that RANGE REPORT ??
impatiently waiting here to hear how it shoots for a guy handicapped by a Colt tattoo on his gunhand, you know :)

(sez he, fondling a pair of k-17s, whilst eyeballin' a k-48, a j-63, and a j-651, trying to decide which to provide company for a k-frame ot j-frame centerfire tomorrow...
real early before the mercury explodes out of the porch thermometer)

Guillermo
August 6, 2011, 11:46 AM
Old Fuff,

I can back you up by saying that I rarely carry even a 4 inch when travelling by auto. And since my horse is in the shop...the long barrel guns don't get carried on my person.

Old Fool

I confess that I have not gone to the range. The reason for this is not for lack of excitement. It is because my soon-to-be-off-at-college daughter's schedule has not opened up. My next trip to the range might by my last with her for quite some time. Or with less verbosity...waiting for my girl. :D

BTW...the tattoo is not on my gun hand. :evil:

oldfool
August 6, 2011, 12:13 PM
well, I sat on a horse once
which is why I think Colts ought be imprinted on revolvers, and not on my butt

enjoy quality time with the young lady, it happens not often enough as time drifts by

Guillermo
August 6, 2011, 01:19 PM
enjoy quality time with the young lady

She is excited about exercising her Model 19. (4 inch blue...a gift for her 15th b day)

Guillermo
August 12, 2011, 10:08 PM
WOW

this K22 is amazing!!!

It isn't even really fair.

At 15 yards I was able hit the tack holding up the target. (took 3 tries)

My daughter wants one for Christmas.

WOW...what a gun.

Except for the wonky cylinder movement..this is a great gun!!!

Old Fuff
August 13, 2011, 01:59 AM
Well gee...

They are known as Tack Drivers ya' know. :neener:

I mean really, have you been living in a cave? :evil: :cool:

oldfool
August 13, 2011, 09:58 AM
yup

me, I never could understand why so many folks only use those 1" diameter shoot-n-see dots to cover up holes in 5" targets at 15 yards.. 'tis a shameful waste of black, you know; they really are the only targets you need, and if you can't keep 72 rounds in a total of six of those dots, no-white, you are just having a bad day with a 6" k-17/k-22
(acknowledged, my crappy hands can't do that no more without a little steady-rest help, but those guns still can-do)

welcome again to the k-22 club, G
there is no going back now :D

PS
I think I see some nice new k-frame wood furniture in your future
and run some double action DTs with that thing, you will find out in a hurry why some of us like those old S&W triggers so much
makes for great companion practice with your daughter's k-19

Guillermo
August 13, 2011, 10:14 AM
have you been living in a cave?

apparently.

I shot many a model 17 from the 60's. Thought it was the same (or same-ish)

I was way wrong (alert the press!!! G was wrong!!!)

I think I see some nice new k-frame wood furniture in your future
Nah...the old girl needs a good cleaning. I bet those old "diamond" grips will be about perfect.

there is no going back now
I think u may be right.
I forgot how much fun popping 22s is

oldfool
August 13, 2011, 10:31 AM
I forgot how much fun popping 22s is

indeed
and you can burn thru a 333/550 'brick' every outing and not really hurt your "my next Colt buy fund"
or even "maybe I need a 6" k-48 fund"
(22 WMR is a real hoot out of an accurate revolver with a good trigger)

PS
in case you change your mind about those grips, CDNN on-line is a fair source for modestly priced k-grips
(well, not today, but they oft do carry Herrett or Sile)

Guillermo
August 13, 2011, 10:56 AM
Assuming that I am not wrong twice in one decade...

The K22 became the m17.

But this old girl from 1952 has a better trigger than the 17 from the late 60s. It also seems much more accurate...but that could just be the superior trigger.

Were there changes or is this just a matter in the craftsmanship department?

Grayrock
August 13, 2011, 11:17 AM
So where is the "after" picture after you took the scrub brush to her?

oldfool
August 13, 2011, 11:19 AM
correct, mostly the K-22 "Masterpiece" was simply renamed k-17

luck of the draw IMO, trigger feel

don't remember the precise timing of the "dreaded Bangor-Punta era", but thinking it was a bit later than the 60s.. at least one of my Ks (a k-66 I think) is 'Bangor-Punta', zero issues, but woobie stuff aside, S&W (like most) did have their up/down cycles back then as well

you could ask Chuck Hawks, who just plain hates 'em all
(but I would druther you asked old Fuff)
me, I just handle 'em before I buy 'em, unless bought from a source with an impeccable reputation
(but not unlike yourself, I have strong personal preferences on what make/model guns I go looking for in the 1st place)

I like to think I have a fair feel for DA triggers, but all my k-triggers are mighty close to one another (all stock issue, no smithing, just rounds sent downrange) but then again I don't own '52 vintage either.. don't even remember my 'dash' numbers without looking.. don't own a trigger pull gauge, either, just a trigger finger you know

almost hurts a little to say it, but my decades old Taurus 96 (k-17 exterior 'clone', but coil mainspring etc.) bought NIB back when, has at least as good a trigger as any of my S&Ws.. but tens of thousands of round count just might have a little to do with that (finger stoning, no sideplate removal req'd)
stunning accuracy too, can run with my k-17s.. luck of the draw, maybe, heckifiknow

PS
just had to crack the safe, and look
k-17-3
k-17-4
k-48-3 (22 mag)
and the box on one of those k-17s was a (gasp) bangor-punta

Radagast
August 13, 2011, 01:23 PM
Bangor Punta controlled S&W from 1965 to 1987. Quality control supposedly dropped off during their ownership as the bean counters were in charge.

Radagast
August 13, 2011, 01:29 PM
1952 = Postwar economic boom, plus lots of kids being born. American industry lead the world in output and technical know how. At a guess it was a time when people felt pride in most things they did, including making guns.
1960s = drugs, dead Kennedys, cold war nearly goes hot, Vietnam war, race riots, etc. I would not be surprised if quality control started to drop off and pride in workmanship fell as well as society started to deteriorate.

oldfool
August 13, 2011, 05:34 PM
my mistake, re: my post "the dreaded B-P era"
(best THR post on that I have seen was by Old Fuff, circa 2008 I think, search function works)

methinks G got a good 'un, that's good e'nuff
no socio-economic commentary or debate required, none intended

sometimes you have to try more than one, and hand fitted is no guarantee, but it's a pretty good bet, be it Colt or S&W or brand X
but it costs a lot more than it used to, so if you find an oldie that lacks a little shine, give it a closer look

PS
I think all of mine just might be B-P era, give or take a tad, fool's luck

Guillermo
August 13, 2011, 05:53 PM
So what I gleaned from my amigo who is inappropriately named Old Fool is that I perhaps got a good example but that is not specific to the early 50's...I just lucked out.

While I would never think of speaking for either Radagast or Old Fuff, I suspect that they would disagree.

I cannot speak to this as I do not have enough experience...it is not that I have not shot a lot of guns from that era. I have. But I didn't have TheHighRoad to post serial numbers and get the vintage of any given gun.

oldfool
August 13, 2011, 06:55 PM
oh yeah, I think your S&W odds are much better in the 50s than anytime after, G
I think you got a real typical example of 50s era craftsmanship, and I think I got lucky on mine, 70s era stuff

even though I do like a lot of 'em made decades later
and I even think some of their current models are still really good handguns; but no matter how good CNC is, it ain't same as hand fitted by guys who earned their food doing that for decades.. "assembly" is not "fitting".. luck of the draw odds have decreased over time

S&W made and deserved their name in revolvers, not unlike their #1 competitor in 'mass produced' but hand fitted and tuned at the factory... back when.
not unlike Dan Wesson when was still Dan Wesson and made only revolvers, for that matter.. (not that CZ doesn't make good autoloaders though)

Blame it on whatever you want, but neither Colt nor S&W could do hand fitting today at prices the mass market is willing to support.. FA is one of the few out there that has survived so far, at prices most of us won't pony up for, but not without stress on their business model, and they don't do DA, more's the pity.
(but there is still Grant Cunningham, if you can get in line and pay the price, but I cannot)

beauty is as beauty does, so keep lookin' for those scruffy looking old 'shooters'
nothing shines as bright as "one ragged hole", as you well know
enjoy that shooter ! :)

pity you so rarely see ANY Colt revolvers in my area
don't see all that many old model S&Ws here either, for that matter (and people I know here tend to let me know); some I bought, some I passed on for same reasons you would

and I have used up more than my fair share of luck buying without touching, always a gamble.. 4 winners, zero losers, two from GunBroker, two from 'impeccable sources', so me way ahead of the curve

PS
raising a glass of cheap whiskey here, in honor of your good sense and non-luck !
(but keep a close eye on that young lady when she packs her bags for school, or you might find yourself missing a K-22 Masterpiece, and they ain't really all that common, not even at twice the price of three c-notes) ;)

If you enjoyed reading about "A non Colt followed me home" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!