Stevens 200 vs Tikka T3 Lite

PDA

fragout
August 5, 2011, 07:05 PM
I have a buddy who is looking to buy a bolt action rifle when we re-deploy back to the states. His caliber of choice is 308, and he has narrowed it down to the above rifles.

He is 5'5 ft tall and about 150lbs, right handed, and plans to use the rifle for non competitive target shooting, and deer/hog hunting. Synthetic stocks only.
He is also interested in the possibility of adding iron sights on either at a later time, plus other things to it as well.

A few other comparisons he was interested in...

* Which rifle has the smoother action?
* Which rifle is easier to work on,mod, etc?
* Which rifle is lighter in weight?
* Which has more inherent accuracy?

Anyone here own both?
Any other points of comparison between these 2 rifles would be of interest as well.

Thanks

11B

If you enjoyed reading about "Stevens 200 vs Tikka T3 Lite" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Abel
August 5, 2011, 07:42 PM
The Tikka is nicer. The Savage/Stevens is cheaper, and will do most of the same things, especially if you upgrade the trigger. I think that the 200 is the nicest rifle to be had for the cash. If it were me, I'd go with the Stevens and throw the extra cash at the scope to go on top.

aubie515
August 5, 2011, 07:48 PM
Apples to oranges here...out of the box the Tikka action is very smooth...you won't find a better action in a factory rifle period. The T3 lite is indeed light and is great for a light hunting rifle.

The Stevens 200 will offer you an inexpensive rifle to start off with and room to upgrade down the line. The Stevens action will never compare to the Tikka/Sako action.

Tikka wins in smooth action and weight.

Stevens 200 wins in upgrade catagory.

I've owned two T3 Lites and I have a few Savages that shoot lights out. Your friend will do well with either rifle, but just know that the Tikka won't require you to do anything to it, while the Stevens 200 will need at least a better stock and replacement trigger from the start.

Kachok
August 6, 2011, 01:39 AM
Night and day difference there, the Tikka is much more refined, but that said a Savage/Stevens rifle is a great rifle, just not nearly as nice to handle. None of my 110s have ever given me any issues. They are all clunky, ugly, and crude, but all are shooters and have never given me the 1st problem. I have to recomend the Tikka though because I am a small guy like your friend and my Tikka fits me perfectly. Plus I like a rifle that feels as good in my hands as it shoots.
BTW Tikka actions are scarry smooth, and the trigger fells better to my finger then most full custom setups.

jmr40
August 6, 2011, 09:43 AM
If money is not a major concern the Tikka is a much better rifle. If you are working on a tight budget I'd go Marlin XL-7. It is priced about the same as the Stevens and is a much better option. The Stevens ain't bad and would be my 3rd choice.

Birdhunter1
August 6, 2011, 04:44 PM
I agree, having each rifle (differing calibers) in short action models depening on what you are wanting the Tikka is a better rifle and the Stevens is a better rifle.

The Tikka has a glass smooth action, has a factory adjustable trigger (that is a very nice trigger I may add) and their rifling (under microscope) looks very smooth, the barrel does not copper up bad at all and accuracy out of the box is pretty amazing. The stock on mine came with a laminated stock, it looks like it will be a pain to bed the action as I have not yet figured out how it could be done, though I have yet to find a reason to do it either.

The Stevens 200 is a Savage 10 without an accu trigger. The factory stock sucks, the rifling under a microscope looks like it was chiseled out with a jackhammer, the trigger is rather.. well it's a trigger, and the action feels clunky to me. However parts are found at just about any internet site you can dream of, the trigger can be adjusted and tuned to be a great trigger, they shoot remarkably well (and mine doesn't copper up bad), and it is very dependable. I replaced the stock on mine with a Boyd's laminate thumbhole, pillar and steel bedded the action, pinned the mounts in place (something I was wanting to try, not needed but I wanted to attempt it), reinforced the forearm of the stock a bit and other than that spent a few weeks working with the trigger and I have a great rifle.

Comparing the two now, my Stevens 200 in .223 is the most accurate rifle I have, the Tikka T3 in .243 is very accurate as well, with the same bedding job it would likely be more accurate than the Stevens, but the accuracy difference between them is VERY minimal. Overall I prefer the Tikka simply because of the caliber, weight (my Steven's is a tad heavy, but I made it that way), and the fact i can shoot it out to 600 yards. The Steven's is the gun that if I have a bad day shooting I can grab it, shoot at 100 yards, and tell if I am having a bad day or if it is the gun.

Both are great rifles, if you are wanting to mod one out with relative ease the Stevens would be a better choice as Tikka parts are harder to find.

TexasPatriot.308
August 6, 2011, 05:19 PM
I have both, the Stevens 200 in 7mm-08 and ugly stock shoots dime groups at 100 yards, got a Nikon 3x9x50 on it and am gonna replace stock with a laminated stock and make it a beautiful tackdriver. My Tikka T3 lite stainless in 6.5x 55 Swedish is probably the smoothest action I have ever seen, not to mention a caliber with low recoil that will take almost anything in North America shy of the biggest game. for a low price, you cant beat the 200 with a Redfield scope, should be a great economic combo.

fragout
August 6, 2011, 07:58 PM
Thanks for all the info everyone.

I was reading another thread about the lack of customer service regarding the Tikka line (Berretta USA), and it got me to thinking about availability of spare parts. How hard is it to get spare parts for a Tikka? Any quality aftermarket companies making Tikka parts? Links would be appreciated.

BTW...... My buddy grew up with his father's Enfield 303, and was wondering how the Stevens and Tikka bolt compares?

Thanks,

11B

viking499
August 8, 2011, 07:14 AM
How hard is it to get spare parts for a Tikka?

Spare parts are becoming more readily available from outside sources. Have never had to use Tikka's customer service for anything, and I have had 5 or 6 over the years and currently have 3 right now.

Both are great rifle choices. To me, the Tikka is the better choice. The Tikka will not need anything out of the box or down the road other than a scope.

BrocLuno
August 8, 2011, 12:52 PM
Tikka - the factory rings are OK, but the fasteners are too soft. Loose all the factory screws and get replacements from any big hardware store when assembling the scope mounts. The bolt is as smooth as most custom rifles and the stock fits me better than Stevens - but that's a personal call. 308 is OK in the basic Tikka action, but anything shorter can lead to ejection issues. The action was designed around the 06 cartridge.

45crittergitter
August 14, 2011, 06:11 PM
Get the Tikka and don't skimp on the scope.

Tikka - the factory rings are OK, but the fasteners are too soft. Loose all the factory screws and get replacements from any big hardware store when assembling the scope mounts.

I think the rings are aluminum, meaning that the ring screws are already much harder than the rings. Regardless, I wouldn't recommend hardware store screws for any gun application. Get them from Brownells or somewhere like that.

Kachok
August 14, 2011, 08:06 PM
Never had a problem with the factory rings, mounted a 3x9x40 Nikon Prostaff BDC and have been thrilled with it.

Gtscotty
August 14, 2011, 09:35 PM
I would go for the Tikka, I have both a T3 in 30-06, and a pre-accutrigger savage 110 in 338-06. The Tikka consistently shoots between .7 and 1.5 inch groups off sandbags with my loads, and I'm not a great shot (read: a lot of the groups on the 1.5" side were under an inch before I threw a round). I'm sure most savages can shoot in this range, but for me, there is a world of difference in the handling, fit and finish between the Tikka and the Savage. My next rifle is definitely going to be another Tikka.... unless I get lured off by the siren call of those sweet looking Series 2 Vanguards...

The only possible downside I can see for your friend is that with the Tikkas, you are stuck with a long action, so he is not going to get the usual benefits of going short action.... On that subject, has he looked into the possibility of going 30-06 instead of the .308? Good luck with your PCS.

DIM
August 14, 2011, 10:40 PM
Tikka, just because they have quality control and they shoot their rifles before they leave factory to be sub MOA, Savage don't and sporter barrel models (Hunter, Weather-Warrior, Classic, Stevens Series): only guarantee to shoot 1 1/2" or better at 100 yds

jmr40
August 15, 2011, 10:25 AM
think the rings are aluminum, meaning that the ring screws are already much harder than the rings. Regardless, I wouldn't recommend hardware store screws for

The problem with factory screws is that they have a very shallow depression in which to place your hex wrenches and are very soft steel. The wrenches will slip, rounding out the screws before you can get them tight enough.

When I had my Tikka I bought 6 hardened steel screws from a hardware store for about $3 and simply replaced the factory screws. It works great and is the best $3 upgrade out there. You can order special screws if you want, but they aren't any better.

nastynatesfish
August 15, 2011, 12:56 PM
get the stevens since hell want to add to it later. its a savage action so you can swap barrels in 10 minutes with no gauges or reaming. the stevens bolt is plenty smooth also. for 300 about out the door dont look back. you can put that little stevens agains anybodys anything rifle thats not full on custom and shoot with them too.

also most rifle makers MOA guarantee doent apply for alot of reasons, savage wont give you a accuracy guarantee because of the reloading variables. just cause you can with a 40 dollar box of ammo doesnt mean you will with a 20

Skyshot
August 15, 2011, 05:45 PM
I have the stevens 200 in a.308 I put a timney trigger in and have a bushnell elite 3200 3x9x40. I use this gun as a truck gun and a fowl weather hunting rifle. Let me say that I have abused this rifle, I have dropped out of a treestand, I have fallen on it dragging a deer out in a blizzard. It fell out of my scabbord into a creek being completely submerged, I've never had ANY issues with the rifle, it shoots sub MOA. It's probably the best $300. bucks you can spend on a rifle. It's not a pretty gun but I would say it's a blue collar rifle that's up to the task.

fragout
August 15, 2011, 06:12 PM
Update:

Looks like he is leaning heavily towards the Stevens at this point.

Reasons so far...

* The difference in cost
* barrel swaps seem much easier compared to the Tikka
* Since he plans to hunt alot with it, utility overides looks for his specific application. The rifle is gonna end up with plenty of "battle scars" in the end anyways, so ...
* Tikka is apparently long action only, and he is dead set at 308 for caliber here, so the long action is not needed.
* Tikka mags are very expensive

It's really too bad that iron sights cant be had from the factory, regarding the Stevens 200.
Anyone know where he should look in order to add iron sights to a Stevens?
Links?

Thanks again all. Good info regarding both rifles here.

11B

fragout
August 15, 2011, 06:17 PM
Update:

Looks like he is leaning heavily towards the Stevens at this point.

Reasons so far...

* The difference in cost
* barrel swaps seem much easier compared to the Tikka
* Since he plans to hunt alot with it, utility overides looks for his specific application. The rifle is gonna end up with plenty of "battle scars" in the end anyways, so ...
* Tikka is apparently long action only, and he is dead set at 308 for caliber here, so the long action is not needed.
* Tikka mags are very expensive

It's really too bad that iron sights cant be had from the factory, regarding the Stevens 200.
Anyone know where he should look in order to add iron sights to a Stevens?
Links?

Any links to places that sell parts, such as bbls?(Stevens)

Thanks again all. Good info regarding both rifles here.

11B

Skyshot
August 16, 2011, 07:18 AM
The best thing to do would be to find a Savage model 11 take off barrel which is identical to the Stevens barrel, only it is drilled and tapped for sights. Midwayusa used to sell alot of Savage parts. You might look there or may be Numerich arms. It should be to hard to find a Savage barrel with sights on it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Stevens 200 vs Tikka T3 Lite" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!