Trigger's & other differences- semi vs. Revolver

PDA

Fat Boy
August 6, 2011, 07:30 PM
I recently acquired a Smith D/A revolver with what is probably the nicest trigger I have ever encountered. I am BTW a revolver fan from way back. I have tried several semi-auto's over the years and now am wondering how much the difference between the two types of function can create difficulties for the operator as far as switching between the two. My thinking about this was brought up recently when a friend told me that once a guy learns how to shoot a Glock he may have difficulty going back to other action types. What do you think?

The other side of the issue is that I like the idea of a semi-auto for defensive purposes and might want to get one but want to be sure this is a good decision

If you enjoyed reading about "Trigger's & other differences- semi vs. Revolver" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SlamFire1
August 6, 2011, 07:37 PM
Shoot them enough you just learn to automatically deal with the differences.

What is wrong with a revolver for self defense?. The suckers are reliable, simple to operate. No flippers or levers to play with. You get a revolver in a good fighting cartridge like 44 Spl or 45LC (or 45AR) and you are not undergunned. Auto’s have more capacity but I really prefer simplicity and reliability for the home guard.

BCRider
August 6, 2011, 09:28 PM
There's no doubt that to be as good as you possibly can be you're better to focus on one gun, one holster worn in one spot, etc, etc. But some of us, myself included, enjoy the variety of various handguns.

There ARE a few little things that can be done to limit the harm done to that all important first shot from a draw. And of course lots of practice helps as well.

Having shot a few Glocks and M&P's and a couple of other longer travel striker fired guns I can't say that it hurt my shooting of other guns at all. But then such guns are sort of like the DA trigger pull of a revolver.

tipoc
August 7, 2011, 12:08 AM
It's already been said but...practice with what you feel you will use till the transition is seamless. Muscle memory will adapt. This is a matter of practice more than the hardware.

Personally I have no trouble going from a wheelgun to, for example, a Hi-Power. The transition is smooth. I do have trouble going from a Hi-Power to a G19 or a Sig. The lack of a thumb safety throws me off and the grip angle is different. So I use what I know. A revolver or a handgun with an external safety.

tipoc

jad0110
August 7, 2011, 12:21 AM
A revolver or a handgun with an external safety.

These days I carry revolvers only, but when I also used to carry a 1911 I always made it a habit of "swiping the safety" on the draw with my thumb, even when carry a revolver.

Rexster
August 7, 2011, 06:52 PM
The SIG DAK trigger does a very job of re-creating the classic S&W revolver trigger, at least for me. Moreover, at least in my hands, the SIG P229 and P226 point like a K/L-frame. I find no need to buy a .22 conversion unit for training with my duty SIGs, as my K-frame .22 Model 17 serves as a training gun for my SIGs, as it did when I carried sixguns on duty.

If you enjoyed reading about "Trigger's & other differences- semi vs. Revolver" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!