YUGO m57 Tokarev - good gun?

PDA

GWARGHOUL
August 7, 2011, 01:41 AM
I beleive its C&R eligible, and I am wanting to buy one.

I found a stainless steel one for a good price...(less than $300 for stanless)

I haven't owned a semi-auto since my Ruger MKII years ago.

Is it a good gun..?
Is it a serviceable gun?

I'm not looking for a world class championship cup shooter. Just a solid, reliable accurate workhorse with a good history.

Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "YUGO m57 Tokarev - good gun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Shadow 7D
August 7, 2011, 02:55 AM
Um
Ok first

THEY NEVER MADE ONE IN STAINLESS
you can't even order them (the civilian version for Zastava, still in production) in stainless

So, you have one that is stripped, and most likely polished, I would pay at most for it...
100-125 depending on the action, You can buy one in Excellent shape for ~200

http://www.wideners.com/itemview.cfm?dir=700|1012|1027

GWARGHOUL
August 7, 2011, 03:13 AM
http://classicarms.us/ has one in stainless.

Now, to answer the other questions?

xr1200
August 7, 2011, 04:11 AM
The big concern is that there is no more cheap 7.62 x 25 surplus ammo and commercial new ammo will run $16-$25 a box of 50 qty right now.

If you can find a case of surplus ammo its going for $259 a case now and about $35 for shipping. No more cheap surplus ammo.

GBExpat
August 7, 2011, 07:51 AM
http://classicarms.us/ has one in stainless.

No, the one they have advertised is hard chromed ... seems they like to do that periodically with some of their products; e.g., the hard chromed AKs on the same page.

I just purchased 2 more of the M57 TT-33 Variants (from Wideners).

I find the M57s, as with all the TT types that I own, to be accurate, reliable, comfortable and even somewhat concealable (since they are so flat/narrow).

Tokarevsrule
August 7, 2011, 09:26 AM
Get it and reload for it. I have one and I love it. I use it for ccw and plinking. Unless it is a good chroming job, I would get blued finish. My Dad works at a place where they hard chrome, and he sees a lot of flake off unless a lot of care is used when chroming.

PS good luck finding the brass if you reload

wally
August 7, 2011, 10:27 AM
PS good luck finding the brass if you reload

And spare mags for it.

For a shooter, IMHO the Polish or Romanian TTC are better choices as they are usually a bit less expensive and extra magazines are much easier to find and more reasonably priced when you do ~$15 each as opposed to $30+ for the Yugo.

The the Tok is an unusual and fun gun -- well worth having at todays prices. We can only hope more surplus ammo can come in.

vellocet
August 7, 2011, 11:42 AM
I own four toks and there is no real advantage to the yugo except for the extra round. They also have a magazine safety which can cause problems. Wally is right; get a romainian. 189.00 from SOG. And forget chrome.

chromerunner
August 7, 2011, 12:31 PM
great pistol for the money. I like the extra round and extra grip length.

stoney1666
August 7, 2011, 01:12 PM
mag safety is easy to remove

jonnyc
August 7, 2011, 01:20 PM
To the OP, "hard chromed" is far from "stainless steel".

vellocet
August 7, 2011, 03:37 PM
True, stoney1666, but we're not all gunsmiths. Of my four the romainian is overall the best.

GWARGHOUL
August 7, 2011, 04:34 PM
do tell me about "5 6 or 7 torch crest etc."

Shadow 7D
August 7, 2011, 04:44 PM
collector value (which the shiny ones don't have, the only Maks that are shiny are the Russian navy ones)

The Yugos had a number variations on their crest, one of the ways to date a M57.
Personally, I would go with the cheaper TTC, just as shootable, and much easier to find parts. The M57 can have issues where the aftermarket safety was jerryrigged into the Magdisconnet and hammer pack.

Google has lots of info

GWARGHOUL
August 7, 2011, 05:04 PM
collector value (which the shiny ones don't have, the only Maks that are shiny are the Russian navy ones)

The Yugos had a number variations on their crest, one of the ways to date a M57.
Personally, I would go with the cheaper TTC, just as shootable, and much easier to find parts. The M57 can have issues where the aftermarket safety was jerryrigged into the Magdisconnet and hammer pack.

This is all good info. Thank you.

This is why I ask questions here, I don't know what to really query in Google, its hard to find specific info when you don't know the topic well.

Google has lots of info

So does this community, and like I said above.

I'm not really too concerned about extra magazines... and I'm not afraid to pay $25 for a box of 50 rounds (that is still better than most U.S. calibers)

The source I would be buying from does not mention anything about these being modified, or any after market parts etc.

I'm not worried about collector value. Just a good shooting, solid reliable gun, that is serviceable in the event something breaks.

So, with all things considered.. is this a good gun for me, or should I look into the Romanian TTC?

Thanks for the friendly input and advice guys.

Snowdog
August 7, 2011, 05:29 PM
I have two Yugo M57s and love 'em. I purchased a ton of Yugo 7.62x25 surplus when I purchased my 2nd M57 as it only seemed right to pair the ammo with the pistol. I'm sure glad I did!

I do like the slightly longer grip. I don't really find the +1 round a phenomenal advantage as I don't really do much with them other than informal plinking. However, they appear robust and I'm sure will serve one well in a defensive role if employed for such.

They were selling for $189 in VG condition when I purchased mine (plus $10 for handpick from Sog on the 2nd, which is the better looking of the two). If they're still selling for that, I'd say they're well worth the price.

xr1200
August 7, 2011, 06:02 PM
Not to start an arguement. But its best to just do a search yourself on this and other gun forums or just Google itself. Blank gun ___________ problems and see what turns up.

I recently purchased a polish p64 random 9 x 18 that looked like a decent gun for $169 plus shipping. Fortunately mine has no problems, but another member here had problem of breaking the thumb safety and later I found out its a common problem and no one carries parts for the gun in the USA. So if you have a part breaks it then becomes a serious issue.

So do a search and make an educated decision yourself before buying any new or surplus gun, checking for issues or problems.

Snowdog
August 7, 2011, 06:37 PM
Researching anything before purchase isn't a bad idea; it's sound advice.

I find military surplus to be a safe bet, being that they represent a tremendous value. Typically they are purchased inexpensively for recreation rather than for defense. Though in this particular case, the breed has lost some of its glitter due to the lack of inexpensive surplus military ammunition.
However, commercial fodder is still available and isn't prohibitively overprice, nor will it be IMO.

snooperman
August 7, 2011, 07:13 PM
that I enjoy shooting. I paid $120 for it more than 20 years ago. It has a big red star on it. The Yugo Toks are a good value for the money. EAA is bringing one in now that is in 9mm that seems like a quality gun. I believe it is made by Zastava.

vellocet
August 7, 2011, 08:25 PM
The yugos are 199.00 now. And the romey is interchangeable with polish, russian and chinese pistols. The yugo is not. Save yourself some potential future problems; get the romainian.

Snowdog
August 7, 2011, 09:46 PM
Besides the self-contained recoil assembly of the M57 and longer magazine, what else isn't compatible (besides the safeties of both that were installed for importation)?

Not trying to be critical, I am honestly curious.

GWARGHOUL
August 7, 2011, 11:11 PM
I'm having a hard time finding a Romanian TTC at all, and especially for around $200...

yes, I used google..

Any ideas?

GWARGHOUL
August 8, 2011, 04:35 AM
BTT - the only Romanians I found on gun broker were around $300-400 bones.

Surely someone has to know a good course...

And really, whats so bad about the yugo for $179?

wally
August 8, 2011, 01:42 PM
Southern Ohio Gun has them for $189, But you have to have a C&R license. It'll be the best $30 you ever spend as besides getting you C&R guns shipped straight to your door you get dealer discounts from Midway & Brownells which easily pays for the C&R fee even if you don buy any guns with it.

I don't understand Gun Broker at all, I quit looking as their prices are way out of line, IMHO. Bud's is a better reference point for current production guns, don't think they carry C&R guns though.

wally
August 8, 2011, 01:44 PM
And really, whats so bad about the yugo for $179?

Noting if you can live with one magazine, if it comes with two, jump on it, great deal as extra mags are $30+ if you can find them.

vellocet
August 8, 2011, 02:15 PM
I think the interchange between the magazine safety and the trigger group makes the yugo trigger group different.please correct me if I'm wrong. And op, if you can get a yugo for 179.00,get it. The low price offsets the yugo's negatives. Unless they are not up to date on the site Southern Ohio Guns has romainian and yugo pistols both. Make sure you test them within the return period; they screwed me once.

retDAC
August 8, 2011, 05:53 PM
Anybody having trouble w/finding spare mags may find this interesting:

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?163480-Yugo-M57-tokarev-alternate-magazine-option

Flash!
August 8, 2011, 07:52 PM
Wideners has the genuine brand new Yugo mags.... I bought two last week....

Deaf Smith
August 8, 2011, 07:59 PM
The M57, at least mine, is quite a good pistol.

And Czech 52 mags work perfect once you cut a slot in the mag for the mag release.

Deaf

GWARGHOUL
August 8, 2011, 08:00 PM
Think I'll get the C&R. I hope they still have em in September. I know a guy that runs a pawn shop here in town, that does business with SOG. I'll have to give him a call here.

I don't understand Gun Broker at all, I quit looking as their prices are way out of line, IMHO. Bud's is a better reference point for current production guns, don't think they carry C&R guns though.

No kidding, its insane over there. I'de rather post a wanted ad here than to browse over there sometimes.

stanmo
August 8, 2011, 09:57 PM
Got my Yugo from SOG, came with 2 mags $189. They are $199 now, the Romanian is $10 cheaper. The Yugo has a longer grip which is nice and also has a frame mounted safety, which looks more like "factory". I think I may get another.

stanmo
August 8, 2011, 10:03 PM
Forgot the photo:

http://i721.photobucket.com/albums/ww215/MotownStan/P1020585.jpg

AethelstanAegen
August 8, 2011, 10:55 PM
I've been very happy with my Yugo M57. If you shop around a bit, you can often find them with two magazines included, which is plenty for me on a plinking/knocking about the woods pistol. I prefer the slightly longer grip of the M57 (big hands) and I think it makes the pistol more comfortable/controllable to shoot (YMMV). I would definitely pass on the chromed version selling at classicarms. The original finish on mine seems to be quite durable and I can't imagine the cheap chrome job would be any better. Whatever you choose, you can't go wrong with getting your C&R but I warn you that your bank account is going to take a hit once you realize all the milsurp goodies available that can be shipped to your door.

GWARGHOUL
August 9, 2011, 07:07 AM
I appreciate all of the insight and advice here.

Heck, maybe I'll buy both. I filled out the forms to get my C&R. So, I'm on my way.
The guy I normally do business with charges $35 per transfer. I do have a desire for military (especially com-bloc era) guns, so if I'm going to have any sort of collection, I can save myself the money, and the 3 day wait as I always get delayed.

Nice lookin gun, Stanmo

mgmorden
August 9, 2011, 09:52 AM
Heck, maybe I'll buy both. I filled out the forms to get my C&R. So, I'm on my way.
The guy I normally do business with charges $35 per transfer. I do have a desire for military (especially com-bloc era) guns, so if I'm going to have any sort of collection, I can save myself the money, and the 3 day wait as I always get delayed

It's a little less clear for me. My transfer guy charges only $15 for a transfer, and since he's a full FFL he can receive shipments from USPS (whereas I have to get them 2-day Fedex or UPS). That difference in shipping cost is usually about $7-8 there, so at most I'm saving $10 per firearm. I would say that getting them at the house is nice, but realistically I'm never home during the hours they'd deliver it, so I had up having to drive to the Fedex or UPS facility to pick it up which is FURTHER than my local transfer agent. Plus, in this state, with a CCW you can skip the NICS check so there's never a delay on my pickup (though even prior to that I'd never been delayed).

Given the small volume (1 or 2 per year) of guns I buy with the C&R, the cost on transfers is mostly break-even.

The only thing that tips the scales and keeps me renewing the C&R is that MidwayUSA and Brownells both give dealer prices to C&R holders. I save more money on the Midway discounts that I do on transfers :).

Snowdog
August 9, 2011, 12:16 PM
The only thing that tips the scales and keeps me renewing the C&R is that MidwayUSA and Brownells both give dealer prices to C&R holders. I save more money on the Midway discounts that I do on transfers .

You know, I need to get that ball rolling. I've had my C&R for several years and I have yet to send Midway a copy. Considering how much I order from them, I'd hate to try to tally up how much I've failed to save so far. Maybe I'll do that today while I'm still thinking of it.

Here are my 2 M57s and some of the 50 boxes (3.5k rounds) of Yugo 7.62x25 milsurp. I also have a few thousand rounds of Polish and Romanian fodder, but for the photo it seemed more appropriate to use Yugoslavian ammunition. This stuff, which I understand have given some folks malfunctions from their CZ-52 due to hard primers, but I've put around a thousand between my two M57 without a single malfunction of any kind.

I know I've posted this photo before, but if we're doing show-and-tell.... :D

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4141/4752897995_59e9614491_z.jpg

Dentite
August 9, 2011, 01:31 PM
I like my M57 but the trigger is really quite heavy...annoyingly so. I need to try to take apart the hammer group and see if I can improve it. Already tested it with/without safety so I ruled that out.

But it's a fun gun and if it had a nice trigger and the surplus ammo hadn't stalled I'd be shooting it way more.

Snowdog...I'm jealous of that pile of x25. I love that stuff and I'm getting low. The orange/red primer sealer does take a bit of work to clean out of the action though.

Snowdog
August 9, 2011, 06:59 PM
Believe it or not, I had a little buyer's remorse after I bought the amount of ammunition that I did. Little did I know at the time that it was rapidly drying up at the time and resupply (of surplus) wouldn't be possible. At the time of my purchase, the stuff was so plentiful that it was obscenely inexpensive, much like the Polish stuff was.

The primer sealant does flake off, but I use an old toothbrush with solvent as my first step of cleaning (following with wiping clean and oiling afterward). I think the bristles of the toothbrush must lift the flakes off since they don't seem to cause me much issue.

The PPU-manufactured Yugoslavian surplus (who now make Priv Partisan and Wolf Gold, IIRC) seems very consistent, much like the Polish stuff. The Romanian surplus seems to have a sharper blast, similar to the energetic S&B stuff, though doesn't seem as accurate to me.
If I could locate more Yugoslavian or Polish stuff for even twice the price I paid for mine, I'd gladly buy it.

I really need to chronograph the stuff I have so I can see what kind of ballistic differences there are between the different surplus and newer commercial stuff (S&B and PPU/Wolf).

Janos Dracwlya
August 9, 2011, 08:53 PM
i just ordered a handful of the Yugo magazines from Wideners. I have a Vz-52 and a number of magazines for it, but none of them fit my M57.

jmace57
August 9, 2011, 09:02 PM
Snowdog - I hate you. You really know how to rub it in showing all that ammo.

By the way, I love my M57 too!

Snowdog
August 9, 2011, 09:09 PM
LOL :D I try

I've read of everyday folks like me buying skids of ammo for personal use. That blows my mind and I can't help but hate them as well.

Pict
August 9, 2011, 09:10 PM
I have a Romanian that I really like. The only bad thing about it is the #&%@ stupid way the grips are attached.

With hollowpoints, I think it would be a great carry gun. Otherwise I'd be worried about overpenetration. (Wolf makes some decent hollowpoints in the caliber.)

doc540
August 9, 2011, 10:32 PM
excellent car/truck gun with its ability to penetrate

I removed the Yugo's safety, and it cycled dependably.

Recently sold gun, holster, 2 mag's, 1 box of Wolf HP and 900 rnds of Polish hardball for $600 to a local guy around here.

vellocet
August 10, 2011, 12:40 AM
Jeez, doc, you sure saw him coming. Good deal. Congratulations.

Shadow 7D
August 10, 2011, 01:53 AM
Go check gun broker
find some x25

Somebody is making money

GWARGHOUL
August 10, 2011, 04:28 AM
I like my M57 but the trigger is really quite heavy...annoyingly so.

With all the talk I see around here about "heavy triggers", it makes me wonder..

How bad is the m57?

I think the heaviest trigger I ever pulled was S&W model 60 .38 double action. I didn't cock it. Then there was the SAIGA before I converted it. It was not enough to bother me. Makes me think that triggers have came a long way since the 80's, and I think some people have possible gotten spoiled. To be honest I am in the last year, just getting back into guns, the only guns I ever owned before were from the 70's and 80's. No "accu trigger" or anything like that.

So with that being said, how "bad" is the trigger?

mgmorden
August 10, 2011, 08:20 AM
With all the talk I see around here about "heavy triggers", it makes me wonder..

How bad is the m57?

I don't have a trigger pull gauge to get an exact number, but I can honestly say that the M57 has the heaviest single action trigger I've ever tried to pull. Mine feels like it's in the neighborhood of 9-10 lbs. That said the trigger doesn't seem to feel all that bad - it's just HEAVY.

On a fun gun that you're not planning on using for serious target work though, I really don't worry too much about it. The gun still shoots ok.

GBExpat
August 10, 2011, 09:11 AM
So with that being said, how "bad" is the trigger?

Like mgmorden said, the M57 triggers are heavy but not necessarily bad/unsat.

One of my first 2 M57s required some trigger work (stoning/reshaping of some surfaces & replacement of sear spring) ... the 2 that I recently purchased do not require any trigger work.

vellocet
August 10, 2011, 02:16 PM
I like the trigger on my yugo, now that it works. Regarding post# 45, let's see, a yugo tok with a safety hole in it is worth about 225 tops. Assuming a balance of 375 that works out to around 41 bucks per hundred for old polish surplus ammo. As I said, doc540 made himself a fine deal. I'd go out and buy another ak and some non-surplus x25 with the money, at about 25 bucks a box. Forget the bank, it would just lose value, unlike surplus x25. (1240 for 100 to 100 for 41) WOW.

Shadow 7D
August 10, 2011, 02:23 PM
Most of the crappy triggers are due to 3 things
bad aftermarket safety - yeah, this is the most common problem if you have CLEANED your gun
Gunk- cosmoline and lots of it
wear or just a bum gun

These were designed to be easy to fix, pull slide, remove trigger pack, put in new one, put slide on (so in less than a minute, you just 'rebuilt' your gun)

Snowdog
August 10, 2011, 03:10 PM
The triggers on both my M57s are quite acceptable. They're no 1911, but they are both good enough that I never had even the slightest complaint about the trigger.

My first M57 was obviously issued and had likely seen some use. It wasn't loose by any means, but it seemed to be more worn-in and functioning as intended. The trigger, from a guess, it around 6 pounds whereas the 2nd M57 (handpick fee) appears to have been unissued (mint) and the action was a bit rougher and trigger I'd estimate around 8 pounds, heavier but still good.

I guess I've been lucky with my M57s. They have been great in every way other than the frosted bore of the first (that doesn't seem to affect accuracy).

doc540
August 10, 2011, 10:33 PM
Jeez, doc, you sure saw him coming. Good deal. Congratulations.

Maybe it was closer to 1,000 rnds of Polish which is now bringing a premium.

He sure did want it, so I sure did sell it all to him.;)

vellocet
August 10, 2011, 11:54 PM
Those safetys are awful, but they don't look as bad as a hole in the gun(in the wrong place) I ground down the cam surface on the piece so it no longer contacted the trigger group in any way and stuck it back in. Just use half-cock, like the commies intended, for safety and no butt-ugly hole. Looks normal, or as normal as a tok can. Good deal, doc 540. Two happy people.

Dentite
August 16, 2011, 01:09 AM
I just picked up a second M57 in pretty good condition + 600rds of Yugo surplus, 2 mags with a mint surplus holster for $160. Only catch is the seller says the gun has an issue cycling. Cleaned it up well tonight and all seems well but until I test fire who knows. Not much risk at that price considering how hard it is to find surplus and I paid less than what I would have paid for 600rds of commercial ammo.

GBExpat
August 16, 2011, 07:21 AM
Sounds like an outSTANDing deal. Congrats!

Dentite
August 17, 2011, 05:45 PM
First the good news...turns out it was 700rds. Paying $15/50 for commercial rounds would cost $210+tax. So I got the pistol and the rounds for $160.

Cleaned it up and there was some cosmoline and it was a bit dirty.

Now the bad news...the seller had told me there was an issue, and there after cleaning it all up there is still an issue.

Chamber a round, pull the trigger, round fires, slide comes back, ejects round, strips another and chambers it. Only problem is that the hammer followed the slide to the half-cock position requiring me to thumb it back to fire the next round.

I took the hammer assembly from my other M57 and put it in the new one and the gun wouldn't fire...pull trigger firmly and it wouldn't drop the hammer. (That may not be all that conclusive though because my original M57 was doing that a couple times when I first got it. After thorough cleaning it seems to have resolved but it's still a 10lb trigger pull).

Didn't have time to remove the grips to remove the import safety but I did when I got home. I'm going to try it without the import safety (although I'm not all that optimistic that it will solve the problem).

If that doesn't work I dunno...maybe try a replacement hammer assembly.

It's gotta be a safety/sear/hammer/disconnector problem right?

Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

Nushif
August 17, 2011, 05:54 PM
I have a Chinese Tok made by Norinco that is in 9mm..

Me too! Great gun, for sure. Can't comment on the ones you are looking at though. 8)

vellocet
August 18, 2011, 10:11 PM
Hey, # 56, just send me some of the ammo and I'll tell you how to fix the pistol. Don't feel bad; Yugo 57's have more problems than any other Toks. The crap of the type. Just kidding about the ammo. Try using the primary pull-down, just remove the slide, and remove the safety. The trigger asmbly will move around, don't worry. Just jerk the safety around till it pulls out. Then try the pistol without the safety. If it works, then that is your and many other 57 owner's problem. Please understand that if you use it later, this site and myself are not liable for any problems, from the removal or latter use of the pistol. Mod, if this is wrong please remove it.

KC913
August 21, 2011, 01:13 PM
As far as magazines go, KeepShooting.com will be producing their own M57 specific magazine soon. Their CZ-52 magazines work great in the M57 once you add the notch for the mag catch, but they will have an M57 specific magazine soon. Just a heads-up to everyone before stocking up on a bunch of modified CZ magazines. There are also rumors from a couple of distributors / importers that newer surplus 7.62x25 will be here soon.

And I have no complaints or regrets about the hard chromed M57 from ClassicArms.

jmace57
August 21, 2011, 02:13 PM
I pray you are right about the surplus ammo KC913! Also interesting info on the mags.

Shadow 7D
August 21, 2011, 09:28 PM
While your at it, check out Zastava's site, I wish EAA would import the M57 Lux in both 9mm and x25, and while they are at it, they could bring in the M70 again.

KC913
August 22, 2011, 03:00 PM
jmace57- I have spoken with Century and was told that their new shipment of 7.62x25 will be available in just a few weeks.

Shadow 7D- I've also spoken with EAA and they have made it clear that they have no plans of importing anything to do with the M57. No parts, no magazines, no pistols. It's too bad, too. I was told by Zastava that they have an exclusive deal with EAA and they won't deal with any other U.S. importer. Sadly, it's all up to EAA. I was attempting to work out a deal for a large order of parts and magazines, but, no-go without EAA. :banghead:

Shadow 7D
August 22, 2011, 05:16 PM
yeah, I unfortunately know, wonder if they would do a special run? You would think EAA would be happy to make money on presold guns.

7even6ix2wo
August 23, 2011, 04:11 AM
I paid $200 for mine, it's a cheap, fun gun.

Shadow 7D
August 23, 2011, 02:08 PM
I wouldn't call it cheap, it's inexpensive, you are paying 1950's eastern Europe prices on the machining

Dentite
August 30, 2011, 01:07 AM
I had mentioned a few posts up that my new M57 was having some problems with the hammer following the slide to the half cock notch. Well I ordered a replacement hammer assembly and installed it today and that remedied the problem. Put three mags through it tonight without a hitch.

Even after buying the replacement hammer assembly I'm still only into everything you see here for $200. Not bad considering the surplus stuff is no longer $0.11 a round anymore (if you can find it at all). 700rds of Yugo, a sweet dark holster with contrast stitching, and pretty good condition pistol:

http://i1137.photobucket.com/albums/n507/jschmiddy/Tok/DSC05893800.jpg

With my other M57 that is near mint condition:

http://i1137.photobucket.com/albums/n507/jschmiddy/Tok/DSC05900800-1.jpg

Note the differences in the shape of the import safety:

http://i1137.photobucket.com/albums/n507/jschmiddy/Tok/DSC05916800.jpg

http://i1137.photobucket.com/albums/n507/jschmiddy/Tok/DSC05920800.jpg

http://i1137.photobucket.com/albums/n507/jschmiddy/Tok/DSC05924800.jpg

My only complaint is that the both guns have a pretty stiff trigger. Measures nearly 10lbs with a very non-scientific fishing scale (I have tested the scale with weights and it actually seems pretty accurate).

Shadow 7D
August 30, 2011, 01:18 AM
Take the safeties off and see how much of an improvement you get

Dentite
August 30, 2011, 02:23 AM
Thanks for the thought but I actually just put the safeties in for the photos haha. In my new one the gun won't even fire with the safety in the gun with the new hammer assembly. I see D. Marschal now makes a grip that extends to where it would cover the safety hole but it's for the regular TT-33 size frame. Something like that would be a simple way to cover the holes drilled for the safeties.

I'm also tempted to try the "wrap around grips" he makes for the M57. That extra contour low on the back of the frame might make the pistol point a bit more naturally.

Shadow 7D
August 30, 2011, 03:07 AM
Yeah, check the trigger, MUCH of the weight is actually from a leaf spring behind the mag well, so you can pull the hammer pack (actually easier than the trigger) and see what the sear pull is and then what the trigger pull is with the pack removed.

Some people have said that you can improve the pull with some stoning, but I'd be more inclined to just let the hammer pack soak in solvent overnight and see how much cosmo and gunk comes out.

GBExpat
August 30, 2011, 07:48 AM
...but I'd be more inclined to just let the hammer pack soak in solvent overnight and see how much cosmo and gunk comes out.

Or disassemble the hammer pack, clean/inspect the parts, stone any surfaces requiring it, lubricate and reassemble. :)

One of my first 2 M57s required a sear spring replacement ... the trigger was HARD to operate. It looked to me like someone reversed it in an effort to get more mileage out of the obviously worn-out part. After replacing that and touching up the surfaces, the trigger is fine now.

Snowdog
August 30, 2011, 03:42 PM
Dentite, good looking pistols and holsters.

Those boxes of ammunition look good too. Much of the Yugoslavian surplus ammuition that was availible came in boxes in rough shape.
Half of the Yugo ammo I received came in boxes that would nearly fall apart at the slightest touch (with the rest looking like yours). Fortunately, the ammunition looks and functions fine.

Both my M57s work wonderfully with the safeties installed.

If you enjoyed reading about "YUGO m57 Tokarev - good gun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!