what would YOU do with this 870

PDA

madhatta
January 27, 2003, 12:39 PM
Hello all
I can see from the threads here there are a lot of fans of the 870.
I got one in a trade, serial # S332xx5V. Its in great shape, the only problem is that it has a polychoke on it, and I don't know what to do with it. It doesn't pattern well, and because of the polychoke, I cannot GIVE it away. If this is truly such a great gun, I am surprised I can't find anyone that wants it, that would maybe put another barrel on it... SO, if this was in YOUR hands- what would you do with it? I have no specific purpose in mind for its usage- so any suggestions will be considered.
Thanks in advance for all the great input I am sure I will get from everyone.
added: yes, it is a wingmaster.

If you enjoyed reading about "what would YOU do with this 870" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bamf
January 27, 2003, 01:43 PM
hmmm, new barrel or cut this barrel down and make a HD gun. Or keep it as my parts gun.

Is this a wingmaster?

foghornl
January 27, 2003, 02:57 PM
Drive to Greater Cleveland, OH. I can give that 870 a loving home:D

ftw46
January 27, 2003, 03:23 PM
The 870 is a great dependable shotgun. The PolyChoke is not very popular anymore. I would cut that barrel down to 18" and make it a home defense gun.
Extra 870 barrels can be bought in every configuration possible to suit your needs. Most have screw in choke tubes. Cabelas and other catalogs have lots of choices and there are lots of barrels available on Ebay.

Get a 26" or 28" to wing shoot, a rifled or rifled scope mounted to deer hunt or just whatever your needs are there are barrels available.
Enjoy your Shotgun.

RussB
January 27, 2003, 03:38 PM
If this is a back-door "for sale" post, what are you asking for it, and what were you offered for it? I'm sure that someone at these forums would be glad to take it off your hands :)

Ron L
January 27, 2003, 04:18 PM
because of the polychoke, I cannot GIVE it away.

Wanna bet? ;)

Dave McCracken
January 27, 2003, 06:09 PM
If you're giving away 870s with Polychokes, call,E or PM me first...

While the Polychoke is not fashionable these days of tubes, the things do work. The markings are oft wishful thinking, but some research at the patterning board will show just where,for example, Full is, and this can be marked with a speck of bright paint or nail polish.

And, I'm leery about using slugs in a Polychoke or similar like Mossberg's Accu-Choke. Old stories about the petals busting off abound, but mostly date from the days when a round "Punkin Ball" was used. Forster style slugs swage down better, and I doubt any breakage would occur unless the thing was screwed down to Super Full.

I suggest patterning this thing through the range and marking the tightest and most open ends of adjustment,then checking if the POI matches POA. Sometimes the Polychoke was installed crookedly, and hitting the right Zip Code is tough.

If it shoots straight, you may want to keep it as is and play with it some. If not, lop it off at some point more than 18" and decide if you just want it as a HD barrel or to tube it. Install a bead either way.

HTH, and let me know when I can expect my Freebie(G)!

HSMITH
January 27, 2003, 09:34 PM
I would set the barrel aside and put another on it. Every once in a while you find someone that shot their first _____ with a poly on an 870 and they are looking for one, they pay well for them.

Personally, I hate the things. Ugly as can be, add weight in the wrong place and never throw the pattern they are supposed to. They can be shot and and pattern well, but you have to do what Dave suggested to have any luck with them at all.

Marshall
January 27, 2003, 10:27 PM
I'll give ya 50 bucks for it!

I got a Mossberg 20ga bolt with a Polychoke and the thing is right on the money at the makings. Fun squirrel gun!

Marshall

madhatta
January 28, 2003, 09:50 AM
Upon reading your suggestions... I am leaning towards finding a barrel for this gun. If that doesn't work out soon, I will contact any one of you who seemed interested in the gun, for I am tired of looking at it.
thanks for the input!

ruger357
January 28, 2003, 11:02 AM
I agree on a new barrel.

madhatta
January 28, 2003, 12:14 PM
Forgive my lack of knowledge...
But, If I get a barrel that will accept 3 inch shells, is it ok to put it on a gun made for 2 3/4 inch shells, as long as I do not shoot any 3 inch shells through it? Will it make any difference whatsover in the performance of a 2 3/4 inch shell through that barrel?
thanks so much

Dave McCracken
January 28, 2003, 07:34 PM
A 3 inch barrel on a 2 3/4" receiver can shoot 2 3/4" stuff w/o a problem,Madhatta. Just remember 3" shells NEED a suitable receiver.

Serial numbers needing with V indicate a 2 3/4" chamber, for future use.

Except for turkey and steel waterfowl loads, a 2 3/4" 870 is quite versatile and lots of fun.

How close are POI and POA? I'm sure there's a Cinderella shotgun under that Polychoke.

Also, if you lopped off the barrel right behind that thing, how much is left? An aftermarket tube setup could be what you need.If there's enough barrel left,this could be a Cinderella immediately.

HTH...

madhatta
January 29, 2003, 09:20 AM
Thanks Dave,
I do like the feel of this gun, and am going to take the advice of getting another barrel for it. I am looking forward to finding out what all the excitement is about concerning the 870.
thanks again

rock jock
January 29, 2003, 12:52 PM
I've got a 28" barrel with I,IC,M, and F chokes that I am selling for $60 plus shipping if you are interested. PM me.

If you enjoyed reading about "what would YOU do with this 870" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!