Gun shows out of state and handguns

PDA

addedpulp
August 9, 2011, 11:33 PM
Is the only way to buy a handgun outside of your state at a show to have your FFL? I won't be getting my FFL, I don't trust it, and I'm closer to several other states than the majority of my own, so I'm wondering if there's any other way.

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun shows out of state and handguns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Librarian
August 10, 2011, 12:08 AM
As Johnny Dollar notes, with the C&R FFL you can buy C&R handguns outside your state of residence.

But unless you have an FFL, it's against Federal Law for someone who lives in a different state from your residence state to transfer a gun to you, and if you do manage to somehow get one out of state, it's illegal for you to bring it back to your home state.

See the BATFE FAQ -- http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html

addedpulp
August 10, 2011, 12:17 AM
I just don't trust that it permits the feds to come into my residence and check my collection at any time. I have nothing to hide, but that doesn't mean I want my privacy invaded.

A FFL is only $30?

Frank Ettin
August 10, 2011, 01:08 AM
I've purchased quite legally a number of handguns in a State other than my State of residence. I have the seller ship the handgun to an FFL in my home State who will do the transfer. It's a good idea to make arrangements ahead of time with a cooperative FFL in your State. There are a couple of FFLs here who will accommodate me because of the volume of business I've done with them.

...A FFL is only $30?.. A Curio & Relic FFL is only $30. That class of license will apply only to guns (long guns and handguns) that are more than 50 years old or otherwise satisfy the definition under federal law of a Curio & Relic. So if you want to by a Generation 4 Glock or a new Colt 1911, it won't help you.

CapnMac
August 10, 2011, 01:31 AM
A FFL is only $30?

Yes.
There are eleven Types of FFL.
The Type 3 is a Curio and Relic collector's FFL.
The Type 2 is a Pawn Shop's Type 1 FFL.

There are varying fees for all of these, which can be found online.

I just don't trust that it permits the feds to come into my residence and check my collection at any time.

There are still thousands Of "kitchen table" 01 FFL out there and only hundreds of B(AT)FE field agents. Unless your State requires inspections, they are actually quite rare.

Search here at THR, there are "stickies" (posts permanently at the top of a topic) that cover what it takes to become the various kinds of FFL.

M-Cameron
August 10, 2011, 08:39 AM
I just don't trust that it permits the feds to come into my residence and check my collection at any time. I have nothing to hide, but that doesn't mean I want my privacy invaded.

A FFL is only $30?

yes a C&R FFL is only $30 for 3 years....it allows you to buy guns 50years or older.....plus many internet retailers will give you dealer pricing on many of their products.

and the feds dont crash down your door and snoop around your house........if you are audited, you simply need to show them your bound book, it doesnt even need to take place anywhere near your house.

Sam1911
August 10, 2011, 08:58 AM
As others said, the quick answer to your question is you can only transfer a handgun in your home state.

Actually, you can purchase it our of state at a show, or dealer, or from a private sale) but you can't take possession of it until it has been transferred to you at an FFL dealer in your home state.

If you do get a Type 003 FFL, the benefits include the ability to purchase some older guns out of state, but not guns made after ~1961. Considering the developments in handgun technology made in the decades since before the Russians put the first man in space, that might not be all that helpful to you.

You can't get the normal Type 001 gun dealer's FFL just to buy and sell your own collection. You will need to be "in the business of" dealing in guns and there is a lot more to the process than just filling out the paperwork and sending in a check.

However, the idea that having your FFL means that the ATF can come search your house whenever they want (or ever, really) is an old wives' tale. Just not the way it works.

mgmorden
August 10, 2011, 04:43 PM
and the feds dont crash down your door and snoop around your house........if you are audited, you simply need to show them your bound book, it doesnt even need to take place anywhere near your house.

Indeed - several C&R holders have actually mentioned doing their audits (on the rare chance that you DO get audited - in 8 years of having a C&R I never have) over the phone.

oneounceload
August 10, 2011, 04:46 PM
Bring copies of the FFL you normally use to the gun show; buy the gun; give them a copy of the FFL to ship the gun to; go home and wait for package to be delivered and do the paperwork

Sam1911
August 14, 2011, 09:59 AM
Absolutely right! There are exceptions to the 50 year rule.

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun shows out of state and handguns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!